Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 10th May 2006, 14:13   #16
BHPian

In 7 years, @ 1500 kms/month, i might drive around 1.2 to 1.5 laksh kms.

what would be the regular servicing /maintenance costs for these cars. Accidents related costs can be kept aside which is an unknown anyway.
Old 10th May 2006, 14:15   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha100
I agree that all cars would look different by then, but i am sure each of them would have different resale values.....just to get an idea how much would a 1999/2000 baleno and honda city cost now? aveo i m sure will have no reference
The data is scattered .. but generally it's 12 for baleno and 13-14 for City .. Aveo is too new ...

It would be around 2-3 L, depends on condition and city ..
However, current resale values of 7 yr old cars and that 7 years later will be quite different. You should not judge by today's standards .. more people are buying new cars .. more model and variant launches will happen in the next 7-10 years, than in the last 7-10 .. a lot more features and technology might be available at similar prices .. resale values will surely dip. IMO resale value 7-10 yrs down the line should NOT be a criteria for purchase decision of cars where one plans to keep it for that duration.
Old 10th May 2006, 14:16   #18
Senior - BHPian

If you are looking at the Total Cost of ownership, Honda City wins hands down! Good Mileage and Good resale value!!!
Old 10th May 2006, 14:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by finneyp
If you are looking at the Total Cost of ownership, Honda City wins hands down! Good Mileage and Good resale value!!!

can you please help me with the calculation like shuvc, for arriving at your decision? thanks.
Old 10th May 2006, 14:50   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
what would be the regular servicing /maintenance costs for these cars. Accidents related costs can be kept aside which is an unknown anyway.
Don't have any data on this .. but historically speaking Honda and MUL are, in general, cheap to maintain .. GM tends to be relatively more expensive.

I think what you would need to decide is the acceptable cost variance over 7 to 10 years .. when would you go for car A over car B ? If the difference is > 1 L, > 2L , > 5 L .... ? IMO, > 2L is a good figure where we are talking of a total cost of 20 L + .. 2 L over 7 - 10 years is around Rs. 2000 per month.
There are unknowns which can offset price differences lower than that .. the fuel price assumption may be wrong .. cost of insurance might vary once auto insurance industry is deregulated .. and god knows what else ..

I would say you are pretty much in the same boat - moneywise - with the Baleno and the City .. now decide between those two with other criteria .. most importantly which one would you 'like' to own .. and then what features would you want in your car ..

Last edited by shuvc : 10th May 2006 at 14:51.
Old 10th May 2006, 15:15   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Don't have any data on this .. but historically speaking Honda and MUL are, in general, cheap to maintain .. GM tends to be relatively more expensive.

I think what you would need to decide is the acceptable cost variance over 7 to 10 years .. when would you go for car A over car B ? If the difference is > 1 L, > 2L , > 5 L .... ? IMO, > 2L is a good figure where we are talking of a total cost of 20 L + .. 2 L over 7 - 10 years is around Rs. 2000 per month.
There are unknowns which can offset price differences lower than that .. the fuel price assumption may be wrong .. cost of insurance might vary once auto insurance industry is deregulated .. and god knows what else ..

I would say you are pretty much in the same boat - moneywise - with the Baleno and the City .. now decide between those two with other criteria .. most importantly which one would you 'like' to own .. and then what features would you want in your car ..
I hope that cost of insurance will anyway be the function of a car cost. That way we can ignore it.

but yes fuel prices can have a big impact. i thing is certain if today the petrol is 50 rs/ltr, no events in the world can bring this price down. But even a single incident like 9/11 can push it up by 10 rs/ltr in a day.....so do you think petrol 100/ltr assumption is it optimistic/pessimistic?

price difference, i dont know, once this analysis is complete i think it would be better to decide. I the price differnce is say less than 1 lakh between these then i can purely go by looks of the car based on the family voting.
Old 10th May 2006, 15:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope that cost of insurance will anyway be the function of a car cost. That way we can ignore it.

but yes fuel prices can have a big impact. i thing is certain if today the petrol is 50 rs/ltr, no events in the world can bring this price down. But even a single incident like 9/11 can push it up by 10 rs/ltr in a day.....so do you think petrol 100/ltr assumption is it optimistic/pessimistic?
Well yes and no .. insurance costs, if deregulated, would depend on spares cost of cars, colour of cars, driver profile etc etc .. you could PM @tsk1979 for more inputs on this.

100 / ltr is an average assumed over the next 7 - 10 yrs .. just my guess .. assume 10-15% hike each year .. and take a median .. any other major hikes will have more impact on many other aspects of life - leave aside car ownership
Old 10th May 2006, 16:26   #23
BHPian

i beg to differ with anybody who claims honda reliability is much of a bonus in this case ... there is no reason why a well maintained maruti or chevy should not last 1.5 lac km without giving you any trouble ... these engines last long ... agreed honda last longer ... but 1.5lac km is not something you need a honda for ... there are tata's out there with more than 1 lac k on the odo and no probs .... need i say more ??? ofcourse they have their share of <10K breakdowns too

p.s: you never know about resale 7-10 years down the line ... and knowing maruti .. the baleno might be around then

Last edited by Fiero : 10th May 2006 at 16:33.
Old 10th May 2006, 16:37   #24
BHPian

Quote:

100 / ltr is an average assumed over the next 7 - 10 yrs .. just my guess .. assume 10-15% hike each year .. and take a median .. any other major hikes will have more impact on many other aspects of life - leave aside car ownership

i can agree that it will touch Rs.100 a litre ... but to say thats gonna be the average price over the next 7-10 years is a little too much shuvc .. or so it seems .... even with 10-15% hike each year

but then again ... you never know
Old 10th May 2006, 17:12   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Baleno LXi
OTR - 6.0 L
Purchase cost = 1600*6.0*7*12 = 8.06 L
Mileage - 12kmpl, Litres - 15,000, Fuel Cost - 15 L
Total cost = 8.06 + 15 = 23.06 L

Baleno VXi
OTR - 7.0 L
Purchase cost = 1600*7.0*7*12 = 9.4 L
Mileage - 12kmpl, Litres - 15,000, Fuel Cost - 15 L
Total cost = 9.4 + 15 = 23.06 L
Shuvc, nice detailed calculation. One small error. Total cost for VXi should be 24.4L (not 23.06L).
Old 10th May 2006, 17:34   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Oh, man. Such a lot of calculation / research before buying a car. Amazing!!! @Yamaha100, are you by any chance into something to do with number crunching (accounting, banking etc). ?

While theoretically, you would be right in doing all this spadework, what will happen 10 years down the line is really unpredictable (lots of factors that could change beyond our wildest expectations).
I wouldn't want to waste time drawing up detailed calculations involving attributes that cannot be predicted reliably over such a long duration. If I were you, I would go by the following. Over the period of a car's life (say 15 years), 1/3rd of total cost of ownership would be the price paid for it, another 1/3rd for fuel and final 1/3rd for maintenance. You already know which one is the cheapest of the three in terms of price. The Baleno gives around 12kmpl and the City around 13kmpl. Aveo being new, not much data is available (check around for the Aveo's FE with some owners). Maintenance is a hazy area - on another thread, there was an attempt to map a few cars with respect to maintenance costs, but could not arrive at a clear verdict. Comparing the prices of the hundreds of spares that make a car is not easy. If you go by what is floating around on this forum, in ascending order of spare costs, it would be Maruti, Honda, GM.
It's your call now.
Old 11th May 2006, 11:45   #27
BANNED

Many forums are very hesitant to discuss actual costs. I wonder why?

Yamaha100 - I believe you are looking for figures like this?

My Tata Indica V2 LSi was bought on 29th March 2003. As of today, it has run 59425 km.

The ex-showroom price was 337044.00
Registration etc. cost 15650.00 (including extended warranty)
Insurance cost me 11799.00, 10710.00, 7890.00 & 8396.00

My total maintenance costs (including service costs & costs of all consumables) have been 34487.55 (Service interval is 5000 km, oil change is every 10000 km although I have started changing oil every 5000 km starting from the 35000 km service)
My total petrol cost has been 219419.73

My first tankful was at odo 000046
My latest tankful was at odo 059155
Petrol filled in was 5285.06 litres between these 2 tankfuls (an overall average of 11.18 kpl measured over 59109 km for 90% city, 10% highway and 100% A/C usage, no switching off engine, A/C at lights etc.)
Prior to that, I have filled in 35.77 litres

I have not included incidental accident costs which explain the somewhat steady insurance premia.

If I look at it on a per km basis (which makes sense to me)
my fuel cost is 3.67
my maintenance cost is 0.58
my total cost is 4.25 per km

Last edited by hrag : 11th May 2006 at 11:48.
Old 11th May 2006, 12:15   #28
Team-BHP Support

Wow!! hrag, man you maintained all that detail with such accuracy all this while... eh! I need to get into this habit as well. How did you keep track of this fuel filled thing in all these 4 years?! I mean, everytime when you tank-up do you write it down somewhere?

SupremeBaleno... you said it. Does Yamaha100 work in a number-crunching job. Well, let me guess... he is an IT guy. And if I am not mistaken he has done his share of impact analysis in all these years in this industry Just as shuvc has probably responded to a good few RFIs/RFPs and made estimates...

Last edited by Zappo : 11th May 2006 at 12:16.
Old 11th May 2006, 12:28   #29
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
Wow!! hrag, man you maintained all that detail with such accuracy all this while... eh! I need to get into this habit as well. How did you keep track of this fuel filled thing in all these 4 years?! I mean, everytime when you tank-up do you write it down somewhere?
Thanks Zappo. Yes, I almost always do a tankful and keep track of it in a spreadsheet (courtesy TIUG). I have done the same for my old Omni although I started doing tankfuls around the 10000 km mark.

In case you're curious, the first tankful on the Omni was at odo 10128. The last tankful was at odo 40706. For these 30578 km, the Omni drank 1897.85 litres giving an overall average of 16.11 kpl.
Old 11th May 2006, 12:28   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

hrag, really useful figures and I know the patience/discipline that went behind keeping those records. I also have the same for my Baleno (last 1 year) and my bike (last 11 years).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo
How did you keep track of this fuel filled thing in all these 4 years?! I mean, everytime when you tank-up do you write it down somewhere?
Zappo, I am not sure how hrag does it. But the way I do it is to have a diary exclusively for the car (kept in the car). It has different sections - one for fuel bought (litres, cost/litre, odo reading when fuelled, date etc), another for maintenance done (with cost incurred, date, where done etc) and another to jot down routes to various places with the distance between places etc that I travelled.
For the bike, I have the figures on my PC as an excel sheet.
Closed Thread