Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Given a choice which of these would you choose?
Honda Amaze Petrol MT 60 11.17%
Swift Dzire Petrol MT 30 5.59%
Honda Amaze Diesel MT 285 53.07%
Swift Dzire Diesel MT 74 13.78%
Honda Amaze Petrol AT 70 13.04%
Swift Dzire Petrol AT 17 3.17%
None of these something else 85 15.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 537. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th July 2014, 21:05   #136
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Sunny/Dzire/Xcent or Amaze - Which diesel to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Amp, out of my interest on FE, do you know if Sunny is much behind Amaze and Xcent / Dzire on real time FE? I thought all these differ by just 1 kmpl even if you drive for FE. Please share any figures if you have; I've been looking for this one around.
Not sure. I always thought K9K gives about 19-21 while the iDtech goes up to 25. But yes you are perfectly right any thing around 20 is a very good FE to have.

Last edited by ampere : 7th July 2014 at 21:15.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 18:34   #137
BHPian

If you are not very image conscious, then I think Mahindra Verito is next best to Toyota Etios.

Ford classic is also good, but you don't want a ford. I can understand

As per your details, none of the compact sedans will fulfill your requirements.
Then next is proper sedans at cheaper price eg ACCENT, Esteem from earlier gen. This catagory now has Verito, Linea Classic, ford fiesta classic (total VFM deal)

Only problem with Verito is the lack of passenger airbag, even in top variant (bad Mahindra ). Otherwise it looks better and better NVH than Etios.

You can not get everything in this price range. If yu want all the features then either you have to sacrifice the space or the build quality

eg dezire/amaze/xccent can only have 4 people while Verito/Etios/sunny can have 5 in reasonable comfort.
etios is just 1000kg while linea is 1200 kg.
linea looks the best but you lose P-airbag (if not, who would buy 2014 Linea then?)
etc.

Verito

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejus_y393 View Post
My criteria for the car is as follows:
1) Mileage - an important factor to be considered ask any cabby
2) Boot space - 650kms trip one every month will be a necessity. HUGE
3) Safety - airbags a must, sturdy body, handling on highways. only driver side
3) Leg room/cabin space - Me and dad are 6ft and little on the plus side. best in class
4) Low maintenance - ask any cabby
5) Lower NVH - cant put this as compulsory but would be an added bonus.
travel in a meru cab
I think the newer Verito looks a bit upmarket and straight lines make it look handsome as well.
motionfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 20:40   #138
D4D
BHPian

Why not Toyota Etios GD w/safety package? It suits your requirement. Design aside, it's an unbeatable car.

Quote:

My criteria for the car is as follows:
1) Mileage - an important factor to be considered
All cars you listed give good FE. Amaze wins by a small margin. Only disadvantage: poor NVH

Quote:
2) Boot space - 650kms trip one every month will be a necessity.
Dzire is out of contention here. Amaze/Xcent/Sunny will have really good boot space. May I add that Etios has a 595 liter boot?

Quote:
3) Safety - airbags a must, sturdy body, handling on highways.
Not to worry, you will get safety features on all cars. Etios is rated 4 star in Latin NCAP

Quote:
3) Leg room/cabin space - Me and dad are 6ft and little on the plus side.
Sunny will beat others hands down. You can't compare a full size sedan with sub-4 metre ones. Etios is also really good. Among sub-4 metre sedans, Amaze is best.

Quote:
4) Low maintenance - I do not have the time to visit service centers frequently as I work 6 days a week. Also would prefer a balance between cheaper spares and their quality. Would also like to know approximately how much would each service cost from the present owners.
All the vehicles here must be trouble free. Nissan's ASS might be gamble in some areas.
From what I've heard from a friend, Honda spares are not very expensive. The general trend in the recent past shows that Maruti service is not cheap(due to synthetic engine oil). I personally like Toyota's ASS.

Quote:
5) Lower NVH - cant put this as compulsory but would be an added bonus.
Amaze does very badly here. So does Etios. I think you could choose to make a compromise here or the other points.
D4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 22:39   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
I mean its not a fun to drive car. It would do the job perfectly. But if you are a person who drives sedate on the highways, that should not bother you.

Meanwhile, while seeing other responses from members, the Etios Diesel is also a perfect no-nonsense car which has all the elements of a work horse. Most important being low running cost and good reliability.

I did read your opinion on Etios. But when it comes to a work horse decision, you need to consider reliability, maintenance and running costs.
Hmmm... the car would actually be used as a work horse but I am not a sedate driver on the highways (meaning I vary speeds as per the road/visibility conditions and not always between 60 to 80kmph). However what you said reg the consideration of the 3 factors. Will keep the same in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemi_kk View Post
Driving Pleasure/Comfort: VW vento > Dzire > Sunny > Xcent > Amaze
Sunny goes down because of poor under thigh support. I felt so.

FE: Amaze > Sunny ~ Dzire > VW vento

Safety: VW's > rest of all.

Maintenance: Amaze > VW > Sunny > MS
Here Sunny seems to beat others but in the long run, it definitely isn't true.

500+ Kms trip every Month: VW > Sunny > Dzire > Amaze > Xcent
Xcent, being a 3 pot, i dont think it will be a fun to drive on highways. As said Poor NVH pulls down Amaze . Boot capacity pulls Sunny UP, by beating Dzire.

I would say, Clearly VW should be considered. The discounts that are currently running will surely pull the vehicle cost down into your budget. Also, their spares do not cost a bomb. Just run through the spares comparison they match with the prices of other cars of your list. Only chance that you might be taking is, you are betting on a company with bad service. If your dealers are good, you will be enjoying a great car. Just check your nearest service station quality and then take a decision.

I have noticed in the ownership thread and also through friends and colleagues the prices of spares and total amount on their bills. That scared the crap out of me. My initial thought was Vento. Will hop into the VW showroom and just check out the prices as you said this Sunday. However I see that the next best thing would be Nissan. Your comment reg the lack of thigh support is a -ve for me which I will check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Having owned an Ikon, I can very well emphatise that you have for the FORD A.S.S but you can still check the Fiesta.

Additionally, if you can stretch the budget a little, why not the new iDtec Honda City.

The New City S may be a slight stretch but is very capable, has a great FE and the driving factor will be more engaging than the Sunny.
Additionally, maintenance cost will also be lower.

My recommendation if you can do a little stretch:

Honda City>Ford Fiesta>Dzire(it sells and how)>Sunny>Xcent

Xcent loses out as it is the only 3 potter among the lot.

Sunny for iffy A.S.S and it doesnt sell. So maybe in the next 2-3 year horizon, it may just be another discontinued model.

PS: Maybe, just maybe, you could have a look at the GM Sail NB.

Sail is being sold in diesel???
The city Diesel is a very good car. Unfortunately I cant seem to extend the budget to match the model with my requirements in the city. Fiesta is a big no as the parts prices/A.S.S and the quality of the vehicle degrades after a certain set of kms (no offense to anyone). But will check out the car and update, both the city and fiesta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Except for Sunny from the list rest all are Compact sedans, hence boot space should not be a requirement. If boot space does matter, then you need to change the shortlisted cars and it should read Fiat Linea, Ford Fiesta, VW Vento along with Sunny.

Amongst the shortlisted cars, Xcent gives the highest mileage as per ARAI ratings but Dzire clicks rest of the requirements. You have got a wrong notion that spares for Fiat and VW are costly, they are at par with rest of the manufacturers. Yes availability can be questioned where Fiat and VW fail.
I travel mostly with 2 or 3 big suitcases which I think would easily fit in a compact sedan. Having a bigger boot would just be a bonus. The parts availability is an issue here in hyderabad. And I do believe that I am under a wrong notion as many are advising the same reg the cost of spares. Will check up on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by avisidhu View Post
Your requirement is clearly asking for a car with proper boot my friend. Stretch your budget a bit and try to get a proper sedan if you are doing highway runs so extensively. In my opinion, even a lower variant of a sedan (albeit with safety features) makes more sense for your requirement than top spec of a compact sedan.

And I'm not sure about this 140 kmph bit. Does the Amaze really not go beyond 140? Besides, its understandable to touch 140 odd while doing a quick overtake maneuver, but driving constantly at such high speeds is very risky, please try to go a little slow
You misunderstood me. I cant even go beyond 80 or 100 on some parts of the regular highways. But there are some sweet spots where I would love to feel like a kid again. I have kept mileage as a main factor so continuous race mode is a big no no

As mentioned above the boot requirement for me is sufficient with a compact sedan. However the Dzire is kind of useless with this aspect. But I cant chuck it due to the other wonderful factors it has. It doesnt make sense to for me to go for a basic sedan than to take a top/middle compact version with certain features.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
The Sunny cannot be compared to the other cars in your list. It really belongs to a segment higher. And also the pricing starts from 8.xx IIRC and hence would almost reach 10L OTR. If you can afford to stretch your budget then nothing like it. It really is much better than the other options on your list in terms of cabin space. Driving pleasure in the city is very good due to the zero lag but it is a tad bit boring on the highway. However the other cars in your list are no better when it comes to highway manners and on top of it are quite cramped compared to the Sunny. My suggestion is to take a TD and see for yourself if you like the way it drives. The car is otherwise quite reliable and should not give you any trouble even in the long run. And with Hover gone, Nissan's service standards should only get better in the near future.
Taking a TD on Sat or Sun. Even you are saying its boring on highway. Have to check that myself once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The Sunny seems to suit every need of yours save for the A.S.S. and that too is being taken care of since Nissan has taken over the service of its cars. To compare the Sunny to any of those cars is a bit of a laugh since it does offer so much more than any other car. Be it space on the inside or in the boot, the Sunny trumps all 3 of those cars.

There is no car well-rounded enough to tick off everything you want at that price, so I'd suggest you prioritize things. Do you value space more or no-nonsense service, and so on. And neither of those cars are truly fun-to-drive, it's as painfully simple as that. take test drives of them all and I'm sure your heart will lean more towards one of them.
I have included Accent in my list mainly because of the features it provides but seeing that it would be pain on highways its the last on my list or rather removing it. The Amaze is just pure noise and the Dzire is well... cramped rear space and least boot space. I feel that there is no compact sedan to suit me at all (minus the Etios) :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyotaFan View Post
If you can stretch for the S MT Honda city I think that would be the best options. Very spacious and Honda ASS, Peace of mind and FE. You do get safety features as standard in the Honda. Otherwise it's a sunny no doubt about it. A wonderful hassle free car now much more desirable in new avatar. Don't go for the Xcent. It will disappoint you on the highways. IDTEC has less turbo lack so even without the turbo kick engine is good to drive.
I will have a TD of city this weekend along with the Sunny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motionfreak View Post
If you are not very image conscious, then I think Mahindra Verito is next best to Toyota Etios.

Ford classic is also good, but you don't want a ford. I can understand

As per your details, none of the compact sedans will fulfill your requirements.
Then next is proper sedans at cheaper price eg ACCENT, Esteem from earlier gen. This catagory now has Verito, Linea Classic, ford fiesta classic (total VFM deal)

Only problem with Verito is the lack of passenger airbag, even in top variant (bad Mahindra ). Otherwise it looks better and better NVH than Etios.

You can not get everything in this price range. If yu want all the features then either you have to sacrifice the space or the build quality

eg dezire/amaze/xccent can only have 4 people while Verito/Etios/sunny can have 5 in reasonable comfort.
etios is just 1000kg while linea is 1200 kg.
linea looks the best but you lose P-airbag (if not, who would buy 2014 Linea then?)
etc.

Verito

I think the newer Verito looks a bit upmarket and straight lines make it look handsome as well.
Never thought about verito to be honest. And as I said I am under the impression that the Fiat & VW are too expensive to maintain and lact of spares issue persists in hyderabad. Will update myself once I do a TD of Linea too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by D4D View Post
Why not Toyota Etios GD w/safety package? It suits your requirement. Design aside, it's an unbeatable car.

All cars you listed give good FE. Amaze wins by a small margin. Only disadvantage: poor NVH

Dzire is out of contention here. Amaze/Xcent/Sunny will have really good boot space. May I add that Etios has a 595 liter boot?

Not to worry, you will get safety features on all cars. Etios is rated 4 star in Latin NCAP

Sunny will beat others hands down. You can't compare a full size sedan with sub-4 metre ones. Etios is also really good. Among sub-4 metre sedans, Amaze is best.

All the vehicles here must be trouble free. Nissan's ASS might be gamble in some areas.
From what I've heard from a friend, Honda spares are not very expensive. The general trend in the recent past shows that Maruti service is not cheap(due to synthetic engine oil). I personally like Toyota's ASS.

Amaze does very badly here. So does Etios. I think you could choose to make a compromise here or the other points.

Agree on your points.. But Etios really is not my taste (again no offense)

Will head out this weekend and do a TD of Sunny,Linea,Fiesta(new) & City. Will also get a quotes for the same along with Vento and will have a check of the spare's costs.
My new list as of now would be as below,
1) Honda City
2) Nissan Sunny
3) Ford Fiesta
4) VW vento
5) Fiat Linea
6) Maruti Dzire (last option incase if budget cannot be expanded)

Also on the look out for Tata Zest.
Thejus_y393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2014, 23:43   #140
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hmmm... the car would actually be used as a work horse but I am not a sedate driver on the highways (meaning I vary speeds as per the road/visibility conditions and not always between 60 to 80kmph). However what you said reg the consideration of the 3 factors. Will keep the same in mind.
Thejus,

When I meant sedate, I surely did not mean 60-80. I meant more like 90-110. To me fast means beyond that. (that definition differs for every one. Hence thought I would make clear mine). I dont go beyond that speed. And mostly stick to 90-100 for long distance. I think that should be easy for all cars and in fact the sweet spot for best FE for most cars on the highway.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 07:47   #141
D4D
BHPian

Quote:

Will head out this weekend and do a TD of Sunny,Linea,Fiesta(new) & City. Will also get a quotes for the same along with Vento and will have a check of the spare's costs.
My new list as of now would be as below,
1) Honda City
2) Nissan Sunny
3) Ford Fiesta
4) VW vento
5) Fiat Linea
6) Maruti Dzire (last option incase if budget cannot be expanded)

Also on the look out for Tata Zest.
If your budget permits, got for City SV diesel blind folded.
D4D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 08:21   #142
BHPian

Default re: Honda Amaze vs Maruti Dzire vs Hyundai Xcent

I am looking for a compact sedan for short commutes and in city drives. I have narrowed down to Amaze and Xcent. I have following requirements:

1. Diesel
2. sub 4m
3. Performance, Handling etc are not important
4. point A to B car with 'fill-it-shut-it-forget-it'
5. long lasting
6. lower service and maintenance costs over long term

In favour of Amaze, there is excellent Honda After Sales and Service backup in my city (I already own Honda City). However the Xcent is coming out to be be a full 1 Lakh cheaper than Amaze (along with much better interiors) together with once a year service.

My main concern is whether Hyundai will remain cheaper to maintain over long run. Secondly, does Honda has same quality standards in Brio/Amaze segment as in its higher segments.
sarthakgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 08:38   #143
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarthakgupta View Post
My main concern is whether Hyundai will remain cheaper to maintain over long run. Secondly, does Honda has same quality standards in Brio/Amaze segment as in its higher segments.

Etios not in the consideration at all? My take Etios maintenance would be the lowest of all. But yes, Xcent would be much more upmarket.
ampere is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 09:42   #144
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
My take Etios maintenance would be the lowest of all.
Very true. However Etios Diesel's clutch is extremely heavy (my wife shall be the principal user of this car). We found Amaze and Xcent's clutch to be lightest.

Secondly Etios is a full size sedan. We need a compact sedan.
Old 9th July 2014, 10:07   #145
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking for a compact sedan for short commutes and in city drives. I have narrowed down to Amaze and Xcent.

The Xcent is coming out to be be a full 1 Lakh cheaper than Amaze (along with much better interiors) together with once a year service.

My main concern is whether Hyundai will remain cheaper to maintain over long run.
The Xcent should be your choice, no question about it. Hyundai's are not cheap to own long-term, but after the 3rd or 4th year of ownership you can always switch over to a friendly neighbourhood garage. That will keep your maintenance costs well under check.

The Dzire would also be a good pick, but the Xcent is newer, looks better, has top-notch quality and is loaded with features. If you want a no-nonsense commuter, it's a great option to go for.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th July 2014, 10:13   #146
Senior - BHPian

Sail is being sold in diesel???
The city Diesel is a very good car. Unfortunately I cant seem to extend the budget to match the model with my requirements in the city. Fiesta is a big no as the parts prices/A.S.S and the quality of the vehicle degrades after a certain set of kms (no offense to anyone). But will check out the car and update, both the city and fiesta.

Hi

Sail has the TCdi badging and IIRC the ARAI FE is 22.01 kmpl.
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 14:42   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
The Xcent should be your choice, no question about it. Hyundai's are not cheap to own long-term, but after the 3rd or 4th year of ownership you can always switch over to a friendly neighbourhood garage. That will keep your maintenance costs well under check.

The Dzire would also be a good pick, but the Xcent is newer, looks better, has top-notch quality and is loaded with features. If you want a no-nonsense commuter, it's a great option to go for.
What's your opinion on Amaze. Is it worth the extra money? I plan to keep this car for about next 7-8 years, may be more.
Old 10th July 2014, 14:55   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What's your opinion on Amaze. Is it worth the extra money? I plan to keep this car for about next 7-8 years, may be more.
With the Amaze you will get a more powerful engine than the Xcent. And slightly more room at the back (although both Xcent and Amaze cannot seat 3 at the back in total comfort anyway).

Xcent scores in boot space, engine refinement, features, quality of plastics, service intervals and possibly Fuel efficiency as well (a recent report by Autocar concluded it to be more fuel efficient in real world than Amaze and Dzire).

Take your pick, both are very much evenly matched. I would personally go for Xcent (as i did for myself, though for me the comparison was between the petrols).
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 15:02   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The Amaze only beats the Xcent on rear space and performance. I reckon it will be cheaper to own too in the long-term based on my experience with Honda and Hyundai, but I still wouldn't go for it. You can't ignore the equipment levels and lower price tag of the Xcent.

The Xcent is the newer car and it feels it too. Hyundai A.S.S. is expensive in the long-term IMO, but that wouldn't deter me from recommending the Xcent wholeheartedly. It's a very well-rounded car that will keep you satisfied for years without doubt, and it doesn't hurt to be in a car that's packed to the gills with gizmos.

The Xcent is the car to go for IMO. That's what I'd buy if I were shopping in that segment, and that's coming from someone who was very happy with owning a Honda (as I imagine you are).
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2014, 15:36   #150
Senior - BHPian

Note to Mods :

Shouldn't the thread heading be changed to Dzire Vs amaze Vs Xcent, or something like, the compact Segment car comparison?

The thread title says Dzire Vs. amaze, but both the Xcent and the zest are being discussed.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote