Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Given a choice which of these would you choose?
Honda Amaze Petrol MT 60 11.17%
Swift Dzire Petrol MT 30 5.59%
Honda Amaze Diesel MT 285 53.07%
Swift Dzire Diesel MT 74 13.78%
Honda Amaze Petrol AT 70 13.04%
Swift Dzire Petrol AT 17 3.17%
None of these something else 85 15.83%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 537. You may not vote on this poll

Old 6th July 2014, 22:20   #121
BHPian

Default re: Sunny/Dzire/Xcent or Amaze - Which diesel to buy?

Why don't you wait a bit more and let TATA roll out the Zest. I heard the cars would be in dealerships by August.

From what I understand it has:
1) Space for 5. Most spacious in its segment I would say.
2) Good interiors. Quality should have been improved by leaps and bounds. I find the existing Vista interiors acceptable.
3) It will come with the Revotron and Fiat MJD engines.
4) It has a better tuned suspension for good handling.
5) Can come with a AMT and should be the first Diesel car to have a AMT.

Otherwise I would support the Hyundai Xcent if you want a 4 seater car. I never found Amaze good in interior quality or looks.

My second choice would be a Dzire just for the numbers in which it sells (read easily available and cheaper spare parts). Proven reliability.

Although I did love to buy a sunny but would not dare to looking at the very few service centres and the numbers in which it sells.
amit_purohit20 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 22:24   #122
Senior - BHPian

My comments inline:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejus_y393 View Post
My criteria for the car is as follows:
1) Mileage - an important factor to be considered - Xcent closely followed by Amaze and DZire.
2) Boot space - 650kms trip one every month will be a necessity. Xcent (407 lts) vs Amaze (400 lts) vs DZire (3xx lts)
3) Safety - airbags a must, sturdy body, handling on highways. All similar in top specs.
3) Leg room/cabin space - Me and dad are 6ft and little on the plus side. Amaze the spacious followed by Xcent and then DZire, though, all have problem seating 5 in comfort.
4) Low maintenance - I do not have the time to visit service centers frequently as I work 6 days a week. Also would prefer a balance between cheaper spares and their quality. Would also like to know approximately how much would each service cost from the present owners. -Xcent has 1 year service intervals and many service centres. Amaze has 6 month intervals with fewer service centeres. DZire has most number of service centers but not sure of service intervals.
5) Lower NVH - cant put this as compulsory but would be an added bonus. Xcent closely followed by DZire and then Amaze.

Overall Xcent seems to fit your requirements well, but slow engine is a turn off if you like enthusiastic driving.

Last edited by DCEite : 6th July 2014 at 22:27.
DCEite is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 6th July 2014, 22:36   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_purohit20 View Post
Why don't you wait a bit more and let TATA roll out the Zest. I heard the cars would be in dealerships by August.

From what I understand it has:
1) Space for 5. Most spacious in its segment I would say.
2) Good interiors. Quality should have been improved by leaps and bounds. I find the existing Vista interiors acceptable.
3) It will come with the Revotron and Fiat MJD engines.
4) It has a better tuned suspension for good handling.
5) Can come with a AMT and should be the first Diesel car to have a AMT.

Otherwise I would support the Hyundai Xcent if you want a 4 seater car. I never found Amaze good in interior quality or looks.

My second choice would be a Dzire just for the numbers in which it sells (read easily available and cheaper spare parts). Proven reliability.

Although I did love to buy a sunny but would not dare to looking at the very few service centres and the numbers in which it sells.

I am more of a manual guy than AMT. Just hesitant for going with Tata due to horrendous A.S.S here. However it makes sense to wait till AUG and decide if the new car is releasing. Thank you for the valuable info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCEite View Post
My comments inline:

Overall Xcent seems to fit your requirements well, but slow engine is a turn off if you like enthusiastic driving.
The fact that amaze cuts of at 140kmph is itself a big turn off. I love the feel of the sudden surge in torque and necessary power to overtake on highways. The slow engine is indeed a trouble some factor which makes it the 2nd least in my list, 1st being amaze.
Thejus_y393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 00:22   #124
BHPian

Quote:

1) Mileage - an important factor to be considered
2) Boot space - 650kms trip one every month will be a necessity.
3) Safety - airbags a must, sturdy body, handling on highways.
3) Leg room/cabin space - Me and dad are 6ft and little on the plus side.
4) Low maintenance - I do not have the time to visit service centers frequently as I work 6 days a week. Also would prefer a balance between cheaper spares and their quality. Would also like to know approximately how much would each service cost from the present owners.
5) Lower NVH - cant put this as compulsory but would be an added bonus.

Toyota Etios Diesel 'V' will tick all your requirements. You can give a look at the car only if you are okay with its interior.

1) The mileage is good. In highways it will give you around 20 with AC.
2) Best boot space in the category.
3)Air bags and abs will be there in 'v' model. Handling on highway is quiet good though its no Fiat Punto/Linea. I have done a lot of highway driving in my petrol Etios. For sturdy body you have to look out for European , German or Italian cars. All Japanese cars are lightly made.
3)Leg room and interior space is among the best in the segment.
4)Its the cheapest car to maintain among all your chosen cars plus service interval is 10,000kms or one year which ever is earlier.
5) Nvh level is improved in the newer version though not the best in the category.

Now from the list of cars you mentioned-

Between you said Hyundai Accent (new). Did you mean the Hyundai Xcent?

In case of Xcent i would say its diesel is not that great to drive. The petrol Xcent is far better.

Amaze/Dzire both are sub 4 meter sedans so you might find the boot space limited for your 650kms long drive every month.

From the give list of your preferred cars my pick will be the new Nissan Sunny. It will tick most of your requirements.

Another car i will say worth considering is the new Ford Fiesta specially after the price correction and new look. If this car is in your budget it will definitely tick most your requirements.

Its fun to drive, great handler, good mileage, decent boot space, nvh level is well controlled. The only thing you have to look out is for the rear leg space and am not sure whether its maintenance cost will be more than the Japanese cars or not. A fiesta owner can help you out on the maintenance cost of this vehicle.

Last edited by Samba : 7th July 2014 at 00:41.
Samba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 06:57   #125
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
would like to replace the ikon and alto with a hassle free, low maintenance, high mileage diesel workhorse.
This alone says Maruti.

Quote:
4) Low maintenance - I do not have the time to visit service centers frequently as I work 6 days a week. Also would prefer a balance between cheaper spares and their quality. Would also like to know approximately how much would each service cost from the present owners.
There are quite many options here: The ideal one would be Sunny since you have need on rear space and boot space. The diesel would give very good mileage too. Its non-nonsense car garnered to take you from point A to B. See GTO's ownership of his Sunny.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...workhorse.html (Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse)

But when you also couple it to a low maintenance, Mauruti seems to rule compared to others.
And then on FE: Its Amaze. But then you already ruled it out.

Quote:
I have the below cars in mind considering my budget and above mentioned criteria.
1) Maruti Dzire
2) Nissan Sunny (new model)
3) Honda Amaze
4) Hyundai Accent (new model)
To me answer lies in the direction of Nissan. Sunny may not be a very engaging to drive, but in my opinion its a perfect work-horse, with a bullet proof diesel engine. Do check it out.

Last edited by ampere : 7th July 2014 at 07:18.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 08:50   #126

Default Re: Sunny/Dzire/Xcent or Amaze - Which diesel to buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samba View Post
Toyota Etios Diesel 'V' will tick all your requirements. You can give a look at the car only if you are okay with its interior.

1) The mileage is good. In highways it will give you around 20 with AC.
2) Best boot space in the category.
3)Air bags and abs will be there in 'v' model. Handling on highway is quiet good though its no Fiat Punto/Linea. I have done a lot of highway driving in my petrol Etios. For sturdy body you have to look out for European , German or Italian cars. All Japanese cars are lightly made.
3)Leg room and interior space is among the best in the segment.
4)Its the cheapest car to maintain among all your chosen cars plus service interval is 10,000kms or one year which ever is earlier.
5) Nvh level is improved in the newer version though not the best in the category.

Now from the list of cars you mentioned-

Between you said Hyundai Accent (new). Did you mean the Hyundai Xcent?

In case of Xcent i would say its diesel is not that great to drive. The petrol Xcent is far better.

Amaze/Dzire both are sub 4 meter sedans so you might find the boot space limited for your 650kms long drive every month.

From the give list of your preferred cars my pick will be the new Nissan Sunny. It will tick most of your requirements.

Another car i will say worth considering is the new Ford Fiesta specially after the price correction and new look. If this car is in your budget it will definitely tick most your requirements.

Its fun to drive, great handler, good mileage, decent boot space, nvh level is well controlled. The only thing you have to look out is for the rear leg space and am not sure whether its maintenance cost will be more than the Japanese cars or not. A fiesta owner can help you out on the maintenance cost of this vehicle.
Yes its the new Xcent. Sorry about the wrong spelling. I did consider Etios but then again the front and the interiors ( read Dashboard ergonomics) did not sync with me. From what you and other bhpians are suggesting regarding Xcent and Amaze, these two would be my last options. As of now I guess Sunny & Dzire are among the top contenders. Regarding the new fiesta I am very much bothered about the parts pricing as I own an Ikon and completed 70,000kms on it. However I will go to the showroom once and have a check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
This alone says Maruti.

There are quite many options here: The ideal one would be Sunny since you have need on rear space and boot space. The diesel would give very good mileage too. Its non-nonsense car garnered to take you from point A to B. See GTO's ownership of his Sunny.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...workhorse.html (Nissan Sunny Diesel Review : The Family's new workhorse)

But when you also couple it to a low maintenance, Mauruti seems to rule compared to others.

To me answer lies in the direction of Nissan. Sunny may not be a very engaging to drive, but in my opinion its a perfect work-horse, with a bullet proof diesel engine. Do check it out.
That's the issue.. I am not able to get all the required features in 1 car :(
The link which you have given is of 2012. Is there any change in Sunny of 2012 and the present new one ( except for the exterior cosmetics) ?
One more plus point in Sunny is the lack of any turbo lag. And the mileage figures as per the threads here is around 18 to 25kmpl.

Also what do you mean Sunny may not be a very engaging to drive?

Anyone from Hyderabad has any idea regarding the quality if A.S.S if Nissan?
Also would love to know if owning a Nissan will burn a hold in my pocket with respect to spares and also the quality of the products.
Thejus_y393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 10:03   #127
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also what do you mean Sunny may not be a very engaging to drive?
I mean its not a fun to drive car. It would do the job perfectly. But if you are a person who drives sedate on the highways, that should not bother you.

Meanwhile, while seeing other responses from members, the Etios Diesel is also a perfect no-nonsense car which has all the elements of a work horse. Most important being low running cost and good reliability.

I did read your opinion on Etios. But when it comes to a work horse decision, you need to consider reliability, maintenance and running costs.

Last edited by ampere : 7th July 2014 at 10:04.
ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 10:45   #128
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Quote:

PS: am not considering FIAT or VW as spare parts are cost an arm and a leg. No TATA also as all service centers in Hyderabad are pathetic.
Driving Pleasure/Comfort: VW vento > Dzire > Sunny > Xcent > Amaze
Sunny goes down because of poor under thigh support. I felt so.

FE: Amaze > Sunny ~ Dzire > VW vento

Safety: VW's > rest of all.

Maintenance: Amaze > VW > Sunny > MS
Here Sunny seems to beat others but in the long run, it definitely isn't true.

500+ Kms trip every Month: VW > Sunny > Dzire > Amaze > Xcent
Xcent, being a 3 pot, i dont think it will be a fun to drive on highways. As said Poor NVH pulls down Amaze . Boot capacity pulls Sunny UP, by beating Dzire.

I would say, Clearly VW should be considered. The discounts that are currently running will surely pull the vehicle cost down into your budget. Also, their spares do not cost a bomb. Just run through the spares comparison they match with the prices of other cars of your list. Only chance that you might be taking is, you are betting on a company with bad service. If your dealers are good, you will be enjoying a great car. Just check your nearest service station quality and then take a decision.
gemi_kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 11:29   #129
Senior - BHPian

Having owned an Ikon, I can very well emphatise that you have for the FORD A.S.S but you can still check the Fiesta.

Additionally, if you can stretch the budget a little, why not the new iDtec Honda City.

The New City S may be a slight stretch but is very capable, has a great FE and the driving factor will be more engaging than the Sunny.
Additionally, maintenance cost will also be lower.

My recommendation if you can do a little stretch:

Honda City>Ford Fiesta>Dzire(it sells and how)>Sunny>Xcent

Xcent loses out as it is the only 3 potter among the lot.

Sunny for iffy A.S.S and it doesnt sell. So maybe in the next 2-3 year horizon, it may just be another discontinued model.

PS: Maybe, just maybe, you could have a look at the GM Sail NB.

arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 11:33   #130
Senior - BHPian

Smile Re: Sunny/Dzire/Xcent or Amaze - Which diesel to buy?

Except for Sunny from the list rest all are Compact sedans, hence boot space should not be a requirement. If boot space does matter, then you need to change the shortlisted cars and it should read Fiat Linea, Ford Fiesta, VW Vento along with Sunny.

Amongst the shortlisted cars, Xcent gives the highest mileage as per ARAI ratings but Dzire clicks rest of the requirements. You have got a wrong notion that spares for Fiat and VW are costly, they are at par with rest of the manufacturers. Yes availability can be questioned where Fiat and VW fail.
ghodlur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 11:55   #131
BHPian

Your requirement is clearly asking for a car with proper boot my friend. Stretch your budget a bit and try to get a proper sedan if you are doing highway runs so extensively. In my opinion, even a lower variant of a sedan (albeit with safety features) makes more sense for your requirement than top spec of a compact sedan.

And I'm not sure about this 140 kmph bit. Does the Amaze really not go beyond 140? Besides, its understandable to touch 140 odd while doing a quick overtake maneuver, but driving constantly at such high speeds is very risky, please try to go a little slow
avisidhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 12:08   #132
Distinguished - BHPian

The Sunny cannot be compared to the other cars in your list. It really belongs to a segment higher. And also the pricing starts from 8.xx IIRC and hence would almost reach 10L OTR. If you can afford to stretch your budget then nothing like it. It really is much better than the other options on your list in terms of cabin space. Driving pleasure in the city is very good due to the zero lag but it is a tad bit boring on the highway. However the other cars in your list are no better when it comes to highway manners and on top of it are quite cramped compared to the Sunny. My suggestion is to take a TD and see for yourself if you like the way it drives. The car is otherwise quite reliable and should not give you any trouble even in the long run. And with Hover gone, Nissan's service standards should only get better in the near future.
drmohitg is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 16:37   #133
Senior - BHPian

The Sunny seems to suit every need of yours save for the A.S.S. and that too is being taken care of since Nissan has taken over the service of its cars. To compare the Sunny to any of those cars is a bit of a laugh since it does offer so much more than any other car. Be it space on the inside or in the boot, the Sunny trumps all 3 of those cars.

There is no car well-rounded enough to tick off everything you want at that price, so I'd suggest you prioritize things. Do you value space more or no-nonsense service, and so on. And neither of those cars are truly fun-to-drive, it's as painfully simple as that. take test drives of them all and I'm sure your heart will lean more towards one of them.
iliketurtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 19:03   #134
BANNED

If you can stretch for the S MT Honda city I think that would be the best options. Very spacious and Honda ASS, Peace of mind and FE. You do get safety features as standard in the Honda. Otherwise it's a sunny no doubt about it. A wonderful hassle free car now much more desirable in new avatar. Don't go for the Xcent. It will disappoint you on the highways. IDTEC has less turbo lack so even without the turbo kick engine is good to drive.
ToyotaFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th July 2014, 20:50   #135
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ampere View Post
Amp, out of my interest on FE, do you know if Sunny is much behind Amaze and Xcent / Dzire on real time FE? I thought all these differ by just 1 kmpl even if you drive for FE. Please share any figures if you have; I've been looking for this one around.
thoma is offline   Reply With Quote