Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 26th May 2006, 10:32   #16
BHPian

i agree with all the people with ESTEEM as an option. as u dont have much travelling esteem wud fit ur bill. with decent FE, maruti brand, and scortching pickup u wud feel lovely with it. as for IKON the FE will kill u. best reported among my friends has 10 plus its servicing is very expensive compated to esteem.

indigo DLS wud b a good choice only if u do more than 1500 kms every month. keep updated with ur decision we wud love 2 have ur car pics.
naveendhyani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 10:34   #17
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz
height - 5.5... so steering touching the lap problem won't b der.
any clue about the FE given by GSX in city?
For your height, I'd suggest taking a longish test drive of the Indigo to see if you feel comfortable. The dashboard is set higher compared to other cars. It will be an issue until you get used to it.

The GSX should give you around 10 kpl in the city with 100% A/C. About the engine's reliability, I can only quote from personal experience saying my Indica petrol hasn't ever let me down in 38 months and 60150 km.
hrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 10:35   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
He also said

hehehe, Just having some fun .

Cheers
please excuse me .
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 10:40   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz
Hi Folks !!
This is truly amazing forum, my friend introduced me to team-BHP.

I am planning to buy a new car in couple of weeks i.e as soon as I complete my driving leasons n get a license.

As per suggestions from friends and colleagues, I narrowed down to Esteem vxi which suits my budget i.e - 5L, FE, maintenance, service, resale value everything looks good with esteem.
However considering the increasing fuel prices, I got into two minds whether to go in for a diesel vehicle - Indigo looks equally good with above mentioned requirements - you guys can tell me better.

Details:
1> budget - 5L
2> Want a sedan, not small car.
3> FE very imp - nothing less than 12 (the more the merrier)
4> Low monthly Maintenance.
5> Resale value not very imp - will be keeping the car for 4-5 yrs.
6> won't be driving too much - may b on weekends, occassionally to office which is 7.5 kms from home.
7> Inexperienced driver - so handling should be better.
8> Accessories not imp as i can have them added later also.
9> I'm located in Cochin but may relocate to mumbai after a yr or so - Registration(should I take mumbai registration). Other state registered vehicles r allowed in cochin, where mumbai RTO will b waiting to catch ya .
10> have i missed anything, if yes pls let me know.

Hope you guys will help me decide the best .

Thanks n God Bless !!

Regards,
ICEMAN
Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.
Also refrain from underlining or Italicizing the entire post as it becomes difficult to read

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Why dont you go in for the base 1.4 lit Duratec ? Its a good car ..may be 50000 more than the budget but you are getting a more contemporary car . Please dont buy Esteem ...I beg you ..You are trying to prove that Maruti can still fool a people selling cars almost 14 yrs old . Indigo is good , but it wont be trouble free and I dont think the petrol one is a great buy . Fiesat 1.4 petrol is just the car for you.

Last edited by tsk1979 : 27th May 2006 at 02:52.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 11:03   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
Why dont you go in for the base 1.4 lit Duratec ? Its a good car ..may be 50000 more than the budget but you are getting a more contemporary car . Please dont buy Esteem ...I beg you ..You are trying to prove that Maruti can still fool a people selling cars almost 14 yrs old . Indigo is good , but it wont be trouble free and I dont think the petrol one is a great buy . Fiesat 1.4 petrol is just the car for you.
Fiesta 1.4 Petrol sells for 6L+ on-road. The thread starter has a budget and i feel its better if we stick to it as far as our suggestions are concerned
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 11:19   #21
BHPian

Do consider the Ikon Flair. Its very good buy when you compare it with the Esteem and the Indigo. First and foremost it was specially designed for indian roads, hence any of the above two cars ( Esteem and Indigo) cant hold a candle to its handling ! The mileage is not bad as people percieve it to be.. My car consistently gives 13kmpl in city with the AC and 16 Kmpl on the highways.
I would suggest you to test drive all the three and decide for yourself..
Dragonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 11:19   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp
14 years old alright, but the engine is much more refined and a fun to drive.. compared to both Indigo/Fiesta. Safety wise, yes, a it leaves a lot more to be desired. Besides, as prince mentioned, Fiesta is out of budget.

Last edited by DCEite : 26th May 2006 at 11:21.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 11:28   #23
Senior - BHPian

You should seriously consider Fiat Petra! Though it will cost a bit more than 5 lacs, but is definitly worth the price! You will enjoy the Ride quality, Space, Safety, Good looks and now Service from Tata Motors!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 11:31   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
hehehe, Just having some fun .
Cheers
Hmm... the usual Esteem supporters are here. Want me to join the bandwagon?
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 11:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

I would pick Icon Flair without second thoughts if i were in your shoes.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 11:49   #26
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I would pick Icon Flair without second thoughts if i were in your shoes.
oh yah, I forgot abt that one.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 12:37   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteKnight
Hmm... the usual Esteem supporters are here. Want me to join the bandwagon?
Yo man, you always welcome!
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 12:40   #28
Senior - BHPian

Its gotta be Esteem or Ikon. Both are nice cars, and get the Ikon for better image.

Esteem is really nice too, interior build quality might not be that good as the other Ikon or the Indigo, but the engine is certainly nice and rev happy.
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 12:50   #29
BHPian

Cool

Let me barge in here now !
Revharder has mentioned my name and rightly so ....

Icemanz - here is my opinion and hope it helps you...

I had recently bought a new Ikon Flair and deftly its a good car...I am satisfied with the perfo till now(its been 3 weeks and the car has done 1100 km's now)...

-The ride handling and comfort is quite good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveendhyani
i agree with all the people with ESTEEM as an as for IKON the FE will kill u. best reported among my friends has 10 plus its servicing is very expensive compated to esteem.
naveendhyani,the car you are talking about is 1.6 Nxt i guess which is a 1.6 engine and not a flair which is 1.3 engine - correct me if I am wrong..

-FE is also quite decent I feel and it wd deftly be around 12 as Flair is a 1.3 engine....my new car(not run 500km's by then) was giving me around 13+ (but 70 % highway driving)...
draganov,and few others have also mentioned this !

-Esteem I had ruled out as I didn't like the Low seating position it offers.I felt as if I am sitting on the ground - similar in Zen also(me being 6 feet tall)...also,I(alongwith my wife) don't like the looks of Esteem - its a subjective thing - Esteem supporters Please don't curse me for that !

As far as Ford maintenance is concerned - I had heard that its a little expensive but the difference is marginal and depends on the way you look at it...No New car is going to give you very high maitenance in first few years! a difference of few hundreds shdnot stop you from buyign a car you like is my feeling !
anyway,Let me know if you need any suggestions regarding Ikon Flair..

-Petra,I had considered but somehow I backed out.Indeed its a good car but may be a little low on fuel economy.

-Indigo was ruled out : Didn't like the Looks,TATA Petrol car,Many cabs are Indigo's.....somehow,I don't like the TATA cars...though they may be good VFM.Again,this is my opinion !

My suggestion is : Test Drive all the cars and go for the car you like(as per yr priorities).

ALL THE BEST & wish you a Happy,Safe driving

Last edited by nitinhegde : 26th May 2006 at 12:55.
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 14:09   #30
BHPian

3 choices:

1. Esteem: Outdated, but still packs a gud punch+ gud FE+ cheapest spares of em' all.

2. Indigo: I wont recommend this car to anyone, we got one Indigo LS in our family, and there were rattling noise all inside the car, the doors dosent shut in line, the glove box came in my hand when I opened it..
quality is rock bottom.

3. Ikon Flair: gud looks, nice handling, ok ok FE.
but, its servicing is quite steep, my cousin brother has 1.6 SXi, and he curses himself whenever he goes for servicing, he shells out 2-3k everytime.Spares parts are relatively expensive.
speedbuster is offline   Reply With Quote