Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 27th May 2006, 09:41   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
and what about the following aspects:
- comfort,
- legroom, elbowroom, headroom,
- interiors (comapre the dash of esteem to any other car available in its category!)
- ease of entry/exit,
- better looks,
- better safety,
- planted-to-road feel,
- bigger boot,
-
-
etc., etc. ?!!

Hey revv, you convered a great deal of points and i have to say that the ikon is better than the Esteem in all of that.

But i have my doubts buddy with one aspect and that is the interiors.
Esteem's have fake leather/rexin or whatever you call it covered all over the dashboard and the door pads which gives it a softish feel and they wear appropriately with age
Whereas the Ikon is often criticised for using cheap quality plastics for the dashboard, and over a period of time i have seen a few ikon's dashboard fading thier original colour and give out a whiteish grey look. Its something that i have noticed in a few ikons, i don't know what is the actual reason though

And IMHO, i feel the location of the power window switches on the Ikon leave a lot to be desired considering ergonomics.

Looks - Well, its upto our indivisual tastes i guess

Anyways, i completely agree with you. I feel since ICEMANZ has not much experience about cars, he should take along a more appropriate person during test-drives.

Cheers
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 10:22   #62
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbuster
pls look below

I am still trying to figure out when did nitin said flair is more powerful than esteem?he just said its a better car

It was U who started this power game.

if esteem pumps of 15bhp more than flair, it dosent mean its a better car

there are numerous factors which count when you are buying a car, not just engine.

Ikon flair is better in overall package than esteem.
Wow man,Prince85 dude,

Just one suggestion - you read too much between the lines...have patience - keep cool...

Speedbuster ,thanks for clarifying..
As rightly pointed out by many others - revharder,speedbuster - the argument was not at all based on power...I laughed aloud at you since you tend to live in a dream world of Maruti Udyog Limited and tend to ignore the other grey areas which are very important for an overall package...

Choices are subjective and we are right in our own opinion !

As I said in my earlier posts that priorities change and for a newbie who doesn't have much knowledge of all the cars...the priorities may change...

if ICEMANZ feels that esteem is an overall better package for him considering the list of priorities then Let it be Esteem...

We are just trying to bring in as many cars into contention so that he will be benefitted in knowing them correctly and hence make a choice based on his priorities+liking - thats all....AMEN !

Last edited by nitinhegde : 27th May 2006 at 10:28.
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 10:33   #63
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde

Speedbuster ,thanks for clarifying..
As rightly pointed out by many others - revharder,speedbuster - the argument was not at all based on power...I laughed aloud at you since you tend to live in a dream world of Maruti Udyog Limited and tend to ignore the other grey areas which are very important for an overall package...

!
Well maybe you are right, maybe you didn't mean it. But look man, i being a simple man, i understand simple language.

Well, its clear to me (refer your own post no.44 where you have even quoted me justifying the esteem's power advantage), And that makes you laugh your guts out soo much that you unfortunately has to be warned by a mod.

But then again as i said i maybe wrong. Maybe you failed to put your point in appropriate words or maybe i have a comprehension problem.

My apologies if i got you wrong my friend.

BTW, i feel i have taken this thread off-topic, soo lets get back on track people!!!!!!!
Cheers

Last edited by prince85 : 27th May 2006 at 10:35.
Old 27th May 2006, 10:34   #64
Senior - BHPian

under normal driving conditions the Flair n Esteem are peppy to the same extent there isn't much difference......The esteem will feel faster only when u are really participating in a drag or doing 0-100....
The esteem might have 15BHP more but both have similar torque figures which counts more for city driving....

KP
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 10:38   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde

As I said in my earlier posts that priorities change and for a newbie who doesn't have much knowledge of all the cars...the priorities may change...

!
I suggest we keep track with ICEMANZ current priorities rather than waiting for the future change. If and when it does change, we are all here to help him or maybe confuse him

Last edited by prince85 : 27th May 2006 at 10:40.
Old 27th May 2006, 10:51   #66
BHPian

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz
Am still inclined to Esteem for following reasons -
FE, low maintenance, inexpensive spares, easy service.
I would suggest you go for Esteem if you do not wish to budge from this list..Buy a Car you like and before deciding re-visit your likings/dislikings and priorities...Later on,you must not rue on your decision.
As revharder has rightly pointed out - take someone who is unbiased and will guide you correctly..Do not forget to carry the Pre-delivery inspection checklist while taking delivery of yr new car.Let me know if you need the link....

Last edited by nitinhegde : 27th May 2006 at 10:53.
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 12:23   #67
BANNED

esteem vxi.. still got d juice to fry ur b****
janeckozzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 13:50   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz
Esteem vxi, Flair 1.3, Indigo dlx and petra D.
Are you getting the Petra D below 6 L ? I doubt it ..
And @prince, clarification - the Petra has a 1.9 L diesel engine, not 1.6
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 14:55   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
And @prince, clarification - the Petra has a 1.9 L diesel engine, not 1.6
I know buddy that the Petra D uses the same 1.9L diesel unit that does duty in the Palio D.

I referred to the Petra 1.6L, 16v, 100bhp petrol unit when i said its more powerful than either the esteem or the ikon. It was just a point to highlight the strengths of the Petra range of cars
Old 27th May 2006, 15:03   #70
BANNED

poor icemanz,
i think you might be the most confused man on this planet at the moment!!
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 15:13   #71
BHPian

after going through the whole thread I am really interested to know what car icemanz decided to buy.
sumitkalindi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 15:48   #72
BANNED

Esteem anyday. It's got the best of FE, performance, cheap maintenance, Maruti service network, resale etc.

None of the other cars discussed can come even close to Esteem on these parameters.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2006, 15:50   #73
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
poor icemanz,
i think you might be the most confused man on this planet at the moment!!
Couldn't agree with you more my friend.
Old 28th May 2006, 11:32   #74
Senior - BHPian

Guys after going through all the replies.... i would suggest Icey to close his eyes and go for Indigo Diesel. The reason is, its got the best of both the Ikon and the Esteem.
Its safe, looks better (than esteem atleast) , Cheap Spares, Fuel Average wont be a problem, reasonable performance, solid and safe on the highways, well planted feel, lots of space (better both ikon n esteem here)... the only negetive is niggling issues which "may" crop from time to time, else its a completely reliable and a fine car.
Well too much has been made out of performance of esteem, anycar with a 0-100 kph time of around 15-16 seconds isnt underpowered if your are not into traffic light GP's, esteem can cruise at 120 kph on highway all day but so will Ikon and indigo... the advantage with latter one's is that they will do it much more safely with a reassuring feel thats simply missing in the esteem. And how can u forget the esteems rear seat... there's virtually no legroom, entry and exit is a exercise in itself.
IMHO esteem isnt even as good as Swift, Getz or Palio 1.2 forget about bigger better cars.
Finally petra.... its an absolutely wonderful car, no comparisons with any of the cars above. Ok i will let a secret out, i recently came across a FIAT Petra 1.6 ELX (Power everything including rear view mirrors and alloys) going for 4.9 lakhs because it was a made in 2005 model lying in the showroom. Its a steal at that price.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th May 2006, 16:43   #75
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
And how can u forget the esteems rear seat... there's virtually no legroom, entry and exit is a exercise in itself.
IMHO esteem isnt even as good as Swift, Getz or Palio 1.2 forget about bigger better cars.
Finally petra.... its an absolutely wonderful car, no comparisons with any of the cars above. Ok i will let a secret out, i recently came across a FIAT Petra 1.6 ELX (Power everything including rear view mirrors and alloys) going for 4.9 lakhs because it was a made in 2005 model lying in the showroom. Its a steal at that price.
Petra for 4.9 L is a gr8 deal anyday...still haven't got the quote for Petra D. Am still eager to check the car out. Can anybody tell me about the FE of Petra D, also howz da service, spare costs?

Esteem is still der on my mind and i can book it anytime in coming weeks.
The rear seat leg room won't be a concern as i will be driving it alone most of the time. Also, I'll check for more cash discounts rather than the alloy wheels, but during taking the quatation all 3 dealers were reluctant to give any further discounts and stayed firm on accessories worth 10K. Lets see...am still bargaining

Question: Is it advisable to buy a car during monsoon?
Will der be any difference in price? Heard from some that due to low sales during monsoon months the dealers drop the prices a bit..is that true?

My conclusion so far :-

1> Esteem - suits me well in all aspects
2> Petra D - Will check for the price, if fits my budget then will consult u guys further and go for it.

Regards,
ICEMAN
icemanz is offline   Reply With Quote