Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 25th May 2006, 21:00   #1
BHPian

Thumbs up Help me decide - Esteem Vxi or Indigo Dls

Hi Folks !!
This is truly amazing forum, my friend introduced me to team-BHP.

I am planning to buy a new car in couple of weeks i.e as soon as I complete my driving leasons n get a license.

As per suggestions from friends and colleagues, I narrowed down to Esteem vxi which suits my budget i.e - 5L, FE, maintenance, service, resale value everything looks good with esteem.
However considering the increasing fuel prices, I got into two minds whether to go in for a diesel vehicle - Indigo looks equally good with above mentioned requirements - you guys can tell me better.

Details:
1> budget - 5L
2> Want a sedan, not small car.
3> FE very imp - nothing less than 12 (the more the merrier)
4> Low monthly Maintenance.
5> Resale value not very imp - will be keeping the car for 4-5 yrs.
6> won't be driving too much - may b on weekends, occassionally to office which is 7.5 kms from home.
7> Inexperienced driver - so handling should be better.
8> Accessories not imp as i can have them added later also.
9> I'm located in Cochin but may relocate to mumbai after a yr or so - Registration(should I take mumbai registration). Other state registered vehicles r allowed in cochin, where mumbai RTO will b waiting to catch ya .
10> have i missed anything, if yes pls let me know.

Hope you guys will help me decide the best .

Thanks n God Bless !!

Regards,
ICEMAN

Note from the Team-BHP Support Staff : Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advice you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by adya33 : 25th May 2006 at 23:59.
icemanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 21:09   #2
BHPian

No point in going for a diesel car If your daily/monthly running is not going to be much. if you want a sedan under 5L on road, only indigo suits your price bracket,i am not sure of the esteem pricing, but an esteem should be more FE than a Indigo petrol.Choose your pick.
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 21:11   #3
Senior - BHPian

How tall are you GnR fan?

The Indigo will seem to be a better bet - Fuel economy wise and wrt its ability to take a few knocks. Though you might be stretching your budget. I personally disliked the Esteem because of its lightweight feel and the fact that the steering fell onto my lap. I am 5'11.5".

Otherwise the Esteem is a decent car.

P.S. Welcome to Team-BHP. Post an introduction.
P.P.. I am talking of the Indigo Diesel here.

Last edited by typeOnegative : 25th May 2006 at 21:13.
typeOnegative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 21:39   #4
BHPian

I would suggest you to go in for a petrol car for your kinda running. Esteem suits the bill for you considering your budget constraints. You can get the fully loaded esteem vxi for around 5L.

I drive a 2006 Esteem vxi myself. Its a damn good car at that price. Monthly maintenence will not be a problem since the esteem is a very reliable car packed with performance and offers stunning FE of about 13-14kmpl under normal city driving conditions. Flip side is that the Esteem rear seats are very cramped compared to the Indigo. The Indigo is lot more spacious but seriously IMHO, consider a TATA vehicle only if you wanna buy a diesel. I feel TATA petrol units are a big let-down. The esteem also is very easy to drive.

Coming to the servicing point of view, both Maruti and Tata are inexpensive to service.

PS- I am 6" feet tall, and i never had the problem of the Esteem steering touching my legs at all. VXI has a height ajdustable driver's seat you see
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 22:48   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
How tall are you GnR fan?

The Indigo will seem to be a better bet - Fuel economy wise and wrt its ability to take a few knocks. Though you might be stretching your budget. I personally disliked the Esteem because of its lightweight feel and the fact that the steering fell onto my lap. I am 5'11.5".

Otherwise the Esteem is a decent car.

P.S. Welcome to Team-BHP. Post an introduction.
P.P.. I am talking of the Indigo Diesel here.
How tall am I?? -- in front of my mirror, am very tall...hahaha
height - 5.5... so steering touching the lap problem won't b der.
thanks for the welcome typeO'-ve. with u on the budget aspect for the indigo diesel - am looking at the Indigo GSX that comes fully loaded with alloy wheels, DVD n lcd on the front seat headrest. this model is 5.6 L onroad in cochin. any clue about the FE given by GSX in city?

My only concern with Esteem is its getting out dated and the new esteem is not much seen on roads these days. I'm not the right person to comment on the technical aspects of cars as i don't have driving experience. Else the best thing to do was to take a test drive of both cars and that w'ld have helped me decide.

Neways...thanks for the advice...I'll await more suggestions. I'm sure in day or two I'll be able to finalize on either one.

Regards,
ICEMAN
Old 25th May 2006, 23:07   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Welcome to TBHP.

Why an old car like an Esteem which is outdated, and dont even has that old esteemed presence and sort.

Indigo GSX eh? I love that version of Indigo. Neat with alloys, leather stuffs, fog lamps, better space! ( i repeat ..better space!) much better looker, but its petrol engine... I cant comment on that as there's a rumour that Tata's petrol engine aint that great. But TDi rocks. And its a VCD not a DVD.

And why not a Petra? I am not sure of the price OTR though.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 23:22   #7
Senior - BHPian

This 5-6 lac segment is a big confusion right now....There arent many cars to choose from n the new ones are a mixed bag......
With your budget n requirements its better to go for Esteem between the two....
Y dont u check out the Getz its got lot of space for a small car...Its fresh design too...

KP

Quote:
And why not a Petra? I am not sure of the price OTR though.
I dont think it will serve the purpose FE n low maintenance ....

Last edited by kpzen : 25th May 2006 at 23:24.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 23:35   #8
BHPian

Hi IceManz.

Well i would say go for Esteem. I have 1 myself... I'm more than happy.with light foot on the accelator i get FE of about 15 With AC in City / 18 Without AC.... and recently I went to Jaipur/ (4 of us) . we drove on 110 / 120 touched even 145. and still got an amazing economy of ~22km/ltr. After this I love my car even more . maintennace is not a problem at all. You shouldnt be having any MAJOR COST on MAINTENNACE in normal routine... for the 75K ... My car has travelled the same kms. and yet no Major Bill.

Diesel only if you have 3000Km~4000Km and up of driving in a month.

Rest your decision..

all the best.
passion4cars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th May 2006, 23:35   #9
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you look at petra if FE isnt everything for you.... and it shouldnt be since ur daily running isnt too much.
extreme_torque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 00:08   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque
I would suggest you look at petra if FE isnt everything for you.... and it shouldnt be since ur daily running isnt too much.
Hey can u tell me what is the onroad price of petra diesel? also if u know about the maintenance and service aspects of the car.

Regards,
Iceman.
Old 26th May 2006, 00:13   #11
Senior - BHPian

dude close yours eyes and go for the esteem...it rocks
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 10:07   #12
BANNED

i am surprised that no one suggested Ikon Flair!!

icemanz,
esteem is an outdated car. no matter it still sells in abundance. even scrap sells in much higher quantities in india.
these days i considers esteem as good for track purposes only!

since you'll be using it for very small distances, diesel fed car is not for you. go for anything but petrol.

don't consider me biased towards Ikon Flair or else, but still it is one of the safest and coolest bet for BIG CARS under 5L price bracket.

t-bhpian 'Nitin Hegde' also bought a Flair recently and he is quite happy with it.

i considers Ikon Flair as a first car for everyone who wants to avoid being cramped in a small car.

hopes it would be of some help.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 10:15   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by revharder
i am surprised that no one suggested Ikon Flair!!

icemanz,
esteem is an outdated car. no matter it still sells in abundance. even scrap sells in much higher quantities in india.
these days i considers esteem as good for track purposes only!

since you'll be using it for very small distances, diesel fed car is not for you. go for anything but petrol.

don't consider me biased towards Ikon Flair or else, but still it is one of the safest and coolest bet for BIG CARS under 5L price bracket.

t-bhpian 'Nitin Hegde' also bought a Flair recently and he is quite happy with it.

i considers Ikon Flair as a first car for everyone who wants to avoid being cramped in a small car.

hopes it would be of some help.

I feel no one has suggested for the Ikon Flair coz FE is a main concern and its one of the reasons why he is contemplating a diesel car .The Ikon Flair does not give the Esteem any competition on the FE front.

Esteem gives an FE of 13-14kmpl in city an upwards of 16kmpl on higways with a/c with ease. No doubt its outdated but IMHO it ain't bad.
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 10:26   #14
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince85
I feel no one has suggested for the Ikon Flair coz FE is a main concern and its one of the reasons why he is contemplating a diesel car .The Ikon Flair does not give the Esteem any competition on the FE front.

Esteem gives an FE of 13-14kmpl in city an upwards of 16kmpl on higways with a/c with ease. No doubt its outdated but IMHO it ain't bad.
gud to read abt your views.
but he mentioned:
Quote:
3> FE very imp - nothing less than 12
so, no question of opting Flair out!
Flair gives 12+ easily!
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26th May 2006, 10:31   #15
BHPian

He also said

Quote:
Originally Posted by icemanz