Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 13th June 2013, 13:24   #1
BHPian

Default What will you do with a 9 year old Opel Corsa

So my brother is relocating to Mumbai. This move, obliterates the desire to keep a second car for himself. As it is the second car was of little use to him and also nothing to write home about.

I am yet to decide if I should be happy or express regret, but that second car has been thrust-ed upon us. That second car in question is a black 2004 Opel Corsa (Petrol). It still looks decent (has nice alloys & the body work is fairly intact), but should be falling apart mechanically. I say so, because it had limited use in the last 3 years, wasn't maintained properly (my brother isn't a car guy), and the driving skills of either drivers of the car are sub-par.

What do you think is the best way to treat the car? I don't believe there would be any takers for it in the market. Even if a unique soul decides to buy it, my guess is, he/she won't want to depart with more than Rs20k for the black beauty.

So, if you were in my position what would you do?

PS: We already own 2 cars and ideally speaking should be owning just one.

Last edited by rrsteer : 13th June 2013 at 13:30.
rrsteer is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 14:26   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: What will you do with a 9 year old Opel Corsa

My colleague sold (actually exchanged for an XUV500) his 2005 Corsa for 65K. A 2004 model might fetch 50K here, but in Mumbai rates are lesser I believe.

Since you already have 2 cars, adding a 3rd would not be a good idea since sparing time would be tough. Sell it off, is what I would say.
supremeBaleno is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 14:42   #3
ACM
Distinguished - BHPian

I remember selling off my Cielo after 11 years of ownership when I bought the Laura and it too was becoming the third car. Sold it off then for Rs. 38,000/- I guess you should get similar value for the Opel - I suggest you do sell it off. The cash (however little) in hand is worth more than on the car. You will also have to keep insuring the vehicle each year and also change the battery when it goes dead, besides other components will fail and you will have to spend on getting those in order from time to time.
ACM is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 14:44   #4
BHPian

Option 1: Sell it off
Option 2: Gift it to someone in the family, like a young boy or girl who is in college - who'll love you for the gesture and would take care of it.

Sigh.. I wish I had had someone with an extra car when I was in college..
EagleEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 14:46   #5
Senior - BHPian

If finances are not a problem, turn the Corsa into a desireable hot hatch, something like this:

Pic Source: Google
Attached Images

Maverick5490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 14:47   #6
Senior - BHPian

If you are not one of the few who would like to take the modification route you should sell it off.

Else you have a base at say 35-50k(Selling price) and now you can do whatever you want with this car, may be building a sofa with a 40 inch tv or whatever

Last edited by GTO : 13th June 2013 at 18:42. Reason: Rule #11
VW2010 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 16:13   #7
BHPian

I'll get nearly 20K if I sell my 2004 TVS Victor. The Corsa should definitely fetch you more. Sell it.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 17:21   #8
BHPian

Option 1 - Sell it if you don't feel the need of it anymore. 20k is still worth spending on something else than just lying around with no much use.

Option 2 - Strip off the body, build roll cage around, plonk in a lift kit - make a off-road buggy out of it, use it as recreational toy if money god permits.

Option 3 - Gift your ideas, gift your vehicle to an engineering collage and let some crazy engineering students do some experimentation on that! have fun

Option 4 - Get your car serviced and mechanically okay. Convert it to yellow board and rent out as taxi (just a thought, not sure if it is legally viable)

Cheers,
DeClutch 4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 17:25   #9
BHPian

If money and time are not an issue- and tinkering is your hobby- turn it into a hybrid. Scrap the engine, put in a DC drive, and a smaller engine to charge the battery-bank. One of a kind Corsa!

This will not be cheap, but there is a unique appeal to an electric car.
P.S. I don't know what the RTO procedures will be.
RM2488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 18:46   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Sell it off. You already have 1 more car than ideal, a 3rd will only worsen the situation. Never throw good money after bad.

You shouldn't gift it either as anyone who accepts a free car is pressed for cash. A 9 year old European car requires a lot of time, attention & money...especially one that's discontinued.

Modifying? No point. It's too slow & heavy. Golden rule of modification is to improve upon a package that was fast in stock form.

Put her on the block for 30, 40, 50K or whatever. Use the money to spruce up your 2012 Innova (better tyres, ICE etc.) or a smartphone
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 18:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

If it has no emotional value to anyone in your home, sell it off.

If you want to more-than-sell it, go to any final year college kids and tell them to make a thing out of it (you find its value from local kabadi wallas or used car dealers- dont sell it to them, instead tell the kids the real value you were offered and may be give a small disc in the name of making future innovators).
svsantosh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 19:11   #12
BHPian

Please DO NOT donate the car to some engineering college.

It is better to give it to a guy who loves cars and can maintain it.
supercars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 19:34   #13
Senior - BHPian

Talk to a car breaker, or private garage about stripping it and selling it for parts. They should offer you a reasonable value...
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 21:37   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

To give you an idea, I sold my '05 Opel Corsa 1.4 SAIL for 65k in Gurgaon last year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeClutch 4X4 View Post
Option 4 - Get your car serviced and mechanically okay. Convert it to yellow board and rent out as taxi (just a thought, not sure if it is legally viable)
When driven very very economically and without a/c, my Corsa returned 11kmpl. I doubt any taxi driver would want that mileage!
libranof1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2013, 21:44   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

Perhaps the body panels(if in good shape) can fetch you a decent value itself. My friends father has a corsa which is in top shape till now, but for a replacement bumper, he had to run from place to place and it took quite some time. Components like switches, wiring etc can be of demand from people like I mentioned. From what I heard the parts are imported if needed and it will cost quite high. Hence, breaking the car apart and selling parts would fetch you a better overall value. This if you are willing to put some effort and the returns will take longer. Scrapping will be another option but I dont think you will get a good value.
audioholic is online now   Reply With Quote