Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 5th June 2006, 22:47   #16
Senior - BHPian

Fiat petra makes sense. All the owners have claimed FE above 10kmpl. WHile adventure is more style those Pirellis wear away pretty fast and FE is affected too. and what will you do with a stationwagon in a city?(though good looking) Only go for adventure if you are set on petra but want more style and resale.

Ride and handling are excellent. Interiors are better than Baleno and even exteriors are better than baleno. More sturdy than the baleno. newer than baleno. equally powerful too.

LOW sides will be resale, problem for a stout driver, all-round visibility not as good as baleno, feels heavy and service network and support makes maruti the best. While many people shout about Fiat *SS I dont see the owners complaining. same goes for FE too. WHile people have claimed 3-4kmpl also, but Owners have given more logical solutions.

Look at the fiat if u can.

Otherwise you can look at Ford IKOn. PSST!!! Ikon 1.6 is available on order. otherwise indigo GSX is fully loaded with whatever luxury you can imagine within your budget.

I wouldnt recommend A baleno on the hopes that people will stop buying it and finally the low sales will force Maruti to bring in a newer car which deserves to be called the suzuki swifts new big brother.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 5th June 2006 at 22:49.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 13:50   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windsurfer
Baleno/Petra are very good in performance department. But only thing i am looking at is TCO. Spares is the major concern.
I don;t know about the Petra, but spare prices are pretty low (maybe the lowest) for the Baleno among the C-segment cars as per the November '05 Issue of Autocar India. Check that out and make the TCO calculations. And maintenance (another factor in TCO) is anyway pretty low for the Maruti cars in general and specifically for the Baleno as far as my experience over the last 15 months goes. FE is also among the best (next only to NHC) in the segment at 12kmpl (with 100% AC) in city and 16kmpl on highways, leading to again lower TCO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
I wouldnt recommend A baleno on the hopes that people will stop buying it and finally the low sales will force Maruti to bring in a newer car which deserves to be called the suzuki swifts new big brother.
The "low sales leading to discontinuation" logic is currently quite apt for the Lancer which I guess sells much lesser than even the Ambassador.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 21:38   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
The "low sales leading to discontinuation" logic is currently quite apt for the Lancer which I guess sells much lesser than even the Ambassador.
And yes I wil agree to your statement and clear your doubt. Neither maruti baleno, nor Mitsubishi lancer have a place in todays market. A fact I have screamed multiple times before. Still you recommend a Baleno while I dont recommend a mitsubishi Lancer

Coming back to the topic. I would recommend a Petra which is more reliable ands stable at speeds in excess of 170kmph than any other sedan.

Its more comfortable and better looking.

Owners report good mileage above 10kmpl and its equally fast.

downsides would be Fiat service comapred to maruti and resale.

Look at the ELXPS with spoiler, alloys and foglights in black and you will be more charmed by it than ever.
Old 8th June 2006, 23:57   #19
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

go for the petra.its an absolutely delightful car.now that tata-fiat have formed an alliance a.s.s is also better.
else go for the baleno if you can live with its looks.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 10:25   #20
BHPian

the fiat a/s/s is a non-issue now. who knows in 4 years time, the resale value of fiat cars might improve dramatically. and with the low numbers of cars currently sold now, demand for used fiat cars might outstrip supply

so, go for PETRA!
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 11:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minardi
the fiat a/s/s is a non-issue now. who knows in 4 years time, the resale value of fiat cars might improve dramatically. and with the low numbers of cars currently sold now, demand for used fiat cars might outstrip supply

so, go for PETRA!
Actually, i am quite hooked to Fiat cars. Had planned to buy Palio but ended up with indica as lot of people scared the hell out of me about their poor A**. But after the merger with TATA i expect that it would not be a blind risk.

Thanks for all you suggestion.

I will take a test drive for Indigo (Petrol & Diesel), Petra, and Adevnture this weekend. Will have more discussion on this next monday.

Thanks Again.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 11:28   #22
Senior - BHPian

Dude,

If u will decide on the basis of your test drive, I will hazard a wager and bet on you going for the Petra.

The car simply blows away anything this side of 8 L, the city VTEC included.

The amazing engine combined with phenominal build quality and ride are an unbeatable combo.

And things have now really improved with teh TATA Fiat tie up

Go for it!
himanshugoswami is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 14:59   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Fiat petra makes sense. All the owners have claimed FE above 10kmpl. ...............
.......................................I wouldnt recommend A baleno on the hopes that people will stop buying it and finally the low sales will force Maruti to bring in a newer car which deserves to be called the suzuki swifts new big brother.

So dont u think that palios & petras will be out of production soon??
As from the earlier list my pick would be ikon flair & baleno

esteem & versa is not fit for comparison with cars mentioned before
hari_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 15:19   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama
What gives you this impression?

In fact, Fiat India is launching the face-lifted Palio in September!
Palio and Petra will be in the Indian market for many more years.

No other Car is so much Value for Money as Palio & Petra.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 15:23   #25
BHPian

Quote:

Most likely Baleno would be in for a replacement too (I think Maruti would have understood by now that they are going to completely ruin an excellent car if they dont spuce it up)......and so would Ikon ( may not be immediate but it cant drag for more than a year from now... till then you can expect "all-new" ford ikons like "all-new" maruti cars!)

So no point in complaining about cars simply because they will be phased out....

Its unfortunate that there are no fresh models in the 6L category...but thats the reality.......
kvish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 15:37   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
This takes the cake.. Man.... If you are out of news.. Let me tell you, New facelifted palio is about to be luanched in September..

Cheers
NeoOnWheels

Palio 1.2 NV Sport
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 23:07   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

the current palio and petra are getting a facelift. So no they are not going out of production.

secondly Baleno is a 1994-95 platform with no major improvements while Fiat petra/palio are based on a newer 1996 A178 world car platform that has seen 2 major modifications already. One in 2001 and one in 2004. We still have the 2001 model on sale and will soon have the 2004 model.

Maruti Baleno replacement has been on the anvil in India since 2-3 years now. I guess it will be the Aerio/LIAna platform.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 9th June 2006 at 23:09.
Old 10th June 2006, 01:31   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels
This takes the cake.. Man.... If you are out of news.. Let me tell you, New facelifted palio is about to be luanched in September..

Cheers
NeoOnWheels

Palio 1.2 NV Sport

Hi NEO
Actually tht post was a reply to post 16 whre the fellow member say baleno is selling in lesser numbers & so soon phased out.Similar is the case with palio.
Reagarding the launch of the facelifted palio well thts actually an old news

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...e+lifted+palio

Also y shuld the threadstarter buy an old model when he knows tht new model will roll out this year end.

COMING TO TOPIC So in the end both palio or petra & baleno maybe a bad choice due to replacement with another model so tht the only option left back with one os the ford ikon flair.
Cheers
Hari
please dun blame me the petra & baleno fans
hari_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th June 2006, 02:03   #29
Senior - BHPian

Please read before posting. It creates confusion.

In post 16, I said I hope the sales fall for this 1995 platform car which has since not seen a significant upgrade except some minor facelifts.

palio got the major upgrade in 2001 and the difference is evident if you compare the old siena 1.2 and 1.7diesel with the new petra.

Palio/petra is worth a buy coz the new model will be still on the same platform while Baleno platform as a whole will be phased out if they do.

plus palio is already a bargain while the new platform will be expensive.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 10th June 2006 at 02:05.
Old 12th June 2006, 11:24   #30
BHPian

Hi guys,

Went to the only Fiat showroom in Hyderabad. I checked out both Petra and Petra D. But as i expected there was no test drive. They promised me a test drive next Monday but I scheduled it for this weekend. I was very impressed with this car even before the test drive. Now for the prices
Petra ELX - 6L OTR
Perta D ELX - 6.5L OTR

Will also test drive Adevnture this weekend.

Also, test drove Indigo LS. I must agree that TATA have improved a lot. The clutch and gear shift (major letdown in my Indica 2003) have also been improved a lot. But I did not like the performance. Though it was better than my Indica, I still felt that I do need more power (especially if the car is fully loaded with 5 adults). I love my Indica but I get bugged up sometimes driving it in traffic and I do not want to end up the same way with Indigo. Prices -
Indigo LX - 5.8L OTR
Indigo SX - 6.8L OTR

Now comes the best part - Confusion over petrol and diesel?

My Indica usage is about 2.5-3.5k per month. I don't hit highway very frequently. Say once in 2 months. What do u suggest? I wanted to go for Petrol for performance but I am getting scared with prices going up all the time.

Which car performs better Petra D or Indigo D? Petra D produces only 63 bhp. Is 63 bhp enough for such a heavy car? I don't want to end up with a sluggish car in the city traffic.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote