Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 7th June 2006, 15:31   #1
BHPian

Default Is the Aveo really so bad as compared to the Fiesta??

Hey Fellas,
Been reading up a lot of reviews in various car mags. Everyone of them point out that the Aveo is better looking- in and out- which I agree and that the Fiesta is better built and put together- Ok, given.

But when it comes to performance and driving pleasure including the Engine and Gearbox feel, the Fiesta seems to be miles ahead of the Aveo. In each and every one of the comparisons. In both 1.6 as well as the 1.4 guises. I'm taking all this with a pinch of salt coz these car mags seem to have a habit of changing their minds after a couple of issues/ months.Just look at how all of them are appreciating the Optra 1.6 now, after more than a year of putting it down... Plus they never seem to be in agreement as far as performance goes- Untill now!!

In the May Overdrive comparo, the performance of the Fiesta was said to be even better than the Baleno. As well as the ride and handling qualities.

I can't believe this. I own a Baleno and test drove an Aveo but haven't touched a Fiesta yet. (No ford dealers in my crummy town)The only plus point given to the Baleno was it's front seat!!!!

Now, guys, is the Fiesta really so good? So much better than the Aveo and even the Baleno?? Note, that I'm talking strictly Engine performance, Gearshift quality, High speed handling, braking and turn-ins and FTD factor.

If so, I have got to get me one of these.....
Puffdamgcdragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 14:08   #2
BHPian

Hey there,

I was comparing the Fiesta and Aveo in my decision to purchase a car in that segment. Though the Aveo feels and is bigger than the Fiesta both inside and outside, it was the gear shift quality, ride and handling of the Fiesta that one my over. Here, I am comparing the 1.6 versions of both the cars. Won't be able to comment on the 1.4 versions as I did not test drive either. I am now driving a 1.6 ZXI feista.

Plus, I like the Ford Dealers pre sales and sales process over the GM guys.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
Sumit
sumitsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 16:48   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puffdamgcdragon
In the May Overdrive comparo, the performance of the Fiesta was said to be even better than the Baleno. As well as the ride and handling qualities.
Well depends on how seriously you want to take OD .. in the same report they have indicated that the Baleno is difficult to drive in the cities since one has to change gears too many times and that it drops out of it power band etc ..

Go figure ...
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 18:29   #4
BANNED

i have tried almost all models of both these cars and imho, Fiesta is a much stout and sturdy car.
Aveo on the other hand has got better looks, space, electricals and all.
it is also more spacious than fiestas but then fiesta can be termed as next/new 'josh machine'! i still wonders many a times, why they didn't cashed on the "josh machine" punchline, which still rings a lot of bells than this "Go Fida" thingie!

really, fiestas are very nice to drive and to be driven in.

when having an option for opting of any one of two, i prefers to drive the fiesta.
these are my personal views and nothing professional!

Last edited by revharder : 8th June 2006 at 18:31.
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 18:32   #5
BHPian

Fiestas the car to have right now, performance, ride and handling, gearshift and all... You are bound to be happy with the cars performance... Plus the 1.6 feels so good to hear when nearing the red line!!!...
silentscreamers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 19:48   #6
BANNED

Fiesta definitely drives better and has a better gearbox than Aveo. But it's not that much of a performance machine in itself. For a 101bhp, 1130kg car, it doesn't have that much pep.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 20:17   #7
Senior - BHPian

personally i think the aveo's suffering from a big bro complex (the optra). they look similar and are too , too boringly similar. cant think of owning either one of the boxy dudes!
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 20:43   #8
Senior - BHPian

Comparing the Aveo and Fiesta is very obvious.

Competition is really very close between the two.

the Aveo wins if you are looking for comfort and space. If you are looking for a faimly car. 1.6 though looks much more sporty and has more character than the fiesta inside out , the bulk of the car lets the engine down.

On the other hand fiesta 1.6 has matured from the IKon. The engine while developing more power has become subtle. interiors have grown and so has everything else. Its basically a grown up Ikon. Its much more fun to drive than the Aveo. BUild quality equally good. fuel-Efficiency I guess is a 1 kmpl more for the fiesta.

Its your game between family comfort and cruising leisurely with power at hand or Fun to drive factor with good comfort as a second factor.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th June 2006, 23:53   #9
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

what matters most when you buy a car is :-
1.the engine
2.the gearbox
3.the handling
4.seating comfort and driving positon.

the fiesta wins hands down in all the above respects .the only place where the aveo wins is interior design(not quality) and looks bigger(snob value).

and if everybody cares about the interior design i wonder why everybody sings praises about the ohc,palio,baleno cos in the end what matters is the above mentioned 4 points.
hellspawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 00:38   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Fellas,
Been reading up a lot of reviews in various car mags. Everyone of them point out that the Aveo is better looking- in and out- which I agree and that the Fiesta is better built and put together- Ok, given.

But when it comes to performance and driving pleasure including the Engine and Gearbox feel, the Fiesta seems to be miles ahead of the Aveo. In each and every one of the comparisons. In both 1.6 as well as the 1.4 guises. I'm taking all this with a pinch of salt coz these car mags seem to have a habit of changing their minds after a couple of issues/ months.Just look at how all of them are appreciating the Optra 1.6 now, after more than a year of putting it down... Plus they never seem to be in agreement as far as performance goes- Untill now!!

I can't believe this. I own a Baleno and test drove an Aveo but haven't touched a Fiesta yet. (No ford dealers in my crummy town)The only plus point given to the Baleno was it's front seat!!!!

Now, guys, is the Fiesta really so good? So much better than the Aveo and even the Baleno?? Note, that I'm talking strictly Engine performance, Gearshift quality, High speed handling, braking and turn-ins and FTD factor.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Well for a start, I booked both Baleno and Fiesta 1.4 petrol and cancelled their bookings except Aveo 1.4 which i finally bought and drive.

I have noticed some sort of a false propaganda going against Aveo but then it happens bcoz you tend to make comparisions rather than think what is best suited for your needs.

Agreed that in comparision to Fiesta, Aveo's gearshift is slightly notchy but other than this aspect i dont find any major flaw in Aveo. With my experience i can tell you that the gear shift is somewhat smoother now after me clocking 1500+ kms on my Aveo.
Even Optra's gearshift is equally as bad as Aveo but in totality Optra is a good package and similarly its younger brother, Aveo is a good overall package.

Regarding the Aveo's crash test done internationally and what not read my post in the forum given below:-
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-ca...tml#post234523

I repeat here that i am not praising Aveo bcoz i own it but bcoz i am satisfied with its overall packaging .... now thats my opinion.

To summarise i would say that if you are one of those driving enthusiasts then go for Fiesta otherwise true luxury feel, comfort, good ride and that big impression is what Aveo offers.

GMs service is anyday better than FORDs. Moreover GMs maintenance although not experienced on this aspect but is certainly much less than FORDs and the bad perception of GM's expensive service comes from the OPEL branded cars only. Chevy brand in India is easy on pocket bcoz their components are being localised unlike the OPEL parts which were being imported and not manufactured locally.

Since fuel prices are rocketing so i will also share my experience on Aveo's FE -
earlier i was geting 10 with 110% A/C usage but after first service i am geting 11.5 and this is CITY conditions with full a/c usage which i think is pretty good bcoz even my santro gives 12 with a/c.

Cheers !!
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 14:44   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Well depends on how seriously you want to take OD .. in the same report they have indicated that the Baleno is difficult to drive in the cities since one has to change gears too many times and that it drops out of it power band etc ..

Go figure ...
Maybe the baleno in the testing was the bs3 model which is said to have less performance than its older bs2 sibling
hari_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 17:57   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama
Maybe the baleno in the testing was the bs3 model which is said to have less performance than its older bs2 sibling
True .. it was ..
It's just that I have clocked close to 5000 kms city driving in the very same model and I find their analysis preposterous !
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 18:21   #13
Senior - BHPian

One serious negative I found in Fiesta was lack of leg room. My freind is 6 ft and I am 5 ft 9, and when he was in front, I found the leg room totally unacceptable. And he couldnt take his seat any further, as his left leg would hit the dash, if he did.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 18:29   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc

Go figure ...
2 Points want to highlight, being an owner of Esteem and having driven Baleno many times as well.

1) The BSIII Baleno is no longer the fastest sub 8 lakh car. Its outdone by Fiesta, Esteem, City Vtec.....

2) The gear ratios in both Esteem and Baleno mean that you can drive the car to 100 in 2nd. They both have tall gearing. A person like me is happy driving in 2nd gear or 3rd gear, but for my dad, who tends to put the car in 4th or 5th the minute he crosses 60, means that he has to constantly shift gears in traffic as he doesnt have the car in right rev band. Can you believe it, my girl freind finds Zen faster than Esteem, due to its tall gearing???

I think this is what the guys who tested Baleno experienced. Had they just stuck to second gear, they would have had enough power and not needed to shift the gear so much, but most people (older people) tend to take the car to 4th or 5th even in City traffic.
aseem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th June 2006, 22:45   #15
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hey Fellas,

Not sure if ur post was meant as a question or a statement, but whatever you've heard abt the Fiesta is true. While the Aveo might run the Fiesta close in the 1.4, the 1.6 is a different scenario altogether. The Fiesta is quite far ahead there.

The Fiesta 1.6 has more usable torque, power band and gear ratios than the Baleno (Baleno lovers - I have a hard hat on - you can start the bricks throwing ).

How do I know this? Cuz one of my colleagues has the Baleno and a friend has the 1.6 Fiesta. And I've made good use of my position in between them

Re: Aveo vs Fiesta 1.6, remember that underneath the new skin of the Aveo lurks a previous-model Daewoo whereas the Fiesta is a technologically/technically new car from ground up. That's not to say the Aveo is a bad car.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote