Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 13th June 2006, 13:12   #1

Question Pls help decide between Indigo LX & Ikon Flair 1.3

Hello gurus,
I am buying my first car in next few weeks. Given my requirement & budget (max 5.5L) , I have done some research (in this site) & shortlisted Ikon Flair 1.3 (Petrol) & Indigo LX (Diesel). Esteem I have not considered as I am tall & bulky.

I want a stable & hassle free city car with decent mileage & low ownership cost. It will do abot 10000 KM per year. While Ikon looks to be a good one but not sure of its mileage. Indigo I don't know how it will behave(maintenace, engine degradation) after 2 -3 years. While Indigo would cost 40000 more initially but I will save about 18000 / year only on fuel. I am very confused. What would be a good investment for the long term ? Any other choice ?

Pls comment.

TIA!!
ArijitM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 13:52   #2
BHPian

I can only comment on Ikon Flair as I recently bought one(done 2500 km's till date)...
Overall,its a good package and I am satisfied with the car..

Mileage :

Highway : recently,had taken it on a long trip..It gave me exact 15 kmpl with 80 % ac with constant speeds of 100-110...(it includes 30 % city driving as well)

City driving :I have not tested it much in hardcore city conditions as my 70 % commute is on bypass highway...I drive it only on weekends in city.To be realistic,and from my experience,I can quote a mileage of around 12 kmpl(with 50 % ac)..

Ownership cost : I can't comment much on this.Ford Owners - Please comment....

I think,you should first makeup yr mind for Petrol or Diesel.Do not compare a Petrol and a Diesel car...first,choose Petrol or Diesel and then go in for the options according to yr Budget and Priorities..

There are many detailed discussions on Ikon/Indigo/Esteem etc..Please refer those first...
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 14:01   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

Of the 2 cars, I would suggest the Flair. Overall it is a nice car - looks, OK FE etc. My friends report 10kmpl with fulltime AC use in Chennai city. Check around with a few owners also. Maintenance costs seem to be a little high with Flair, compared to other cars in that category. However, I do not have any idea about Indigo maintenance costs to make a comparison with it.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 14:28   #4
Senior - BHPian

If your decision is based primarily on economics, you should go for the Indigo diesel. It would have ok resale value too 2/3 yrs down the line, should you decide to sell it. Have you considered the Marina ? IMO it looks better than the sedan.

Else for a better driving experience, looks and general levels of quality go for the Ikon.

Given your criteria - "I am tall & bulky ... I want a stable & hassle free city car with decent mileage & low ownership cost."
I would have taken a Indigo Marina - the navy blue colour
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 15:51   #5

Thanks Nitin,SupremeBaleno..
If I run 10000 per year , would that justify Diesel ? In fact that THE issue I need your inputs on...

I am actually sold on Ikon, but the not so great FE & pricy spares are holding me back...

Waiting for few more Ikon / Indigo owners to share their experiences...
ArijitM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 16:36   #6
BHPian

If Indigo and Ikon Flair are your final chioces, then I would suggest you go in for the Flair. Its a good drivers car that is if you like to drive. As far as the mileage is concerned I have a Flair which consitently gives me 13 km/litre in city traffic with 80% AC and 16 -17 Km/litre on the highway. I have done nearly 28K kilometers and so far not one single problem have I faced with it. Apart from this, yes it does feel a bit sluggish with the AC on and 4 people with some luggage in the boot. But neverthless, its much faster and better handling than the Indigo.
I would also suggest you to have a look at the Fiat Petra which would also fulfill all your requirments. Now that Tata have taken over Fiat, so A.S.S should not be problem.

Last edited by Dragonov : 13th June 2006 at 16:38.
Dragonov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 17:53   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Flair should be fine for you. But at a similar budget you can get a fully loaded Petra petrol.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 18:06   #8
Senior - BHPian

I think the Ikon is around 5.2 ish here and the Petra ELX around 6. So there is a price diff .. also his max budget is 5.5 ..

Last week I was exploring options for a colleague in the same price bracket.
He's getting a Indigo GLS for around 5 L
Accent GLE - 5.56 L
Esteem VXi - 5.06 L
Baleno LXi - 5.76 L
All prices OTR

We did not explore the Ikon since he was not interested in it.

Last edited by shuvc : 13th June 2006 at 18:08.
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th June 2006, 19:48   #9
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArijitM
If I run 10000 per year , would that justify Diesel ? In fact that THE issue I need your inputs on...
10K kms per year comes to abt 30 kms daily.
and i am assuming it as a to&fro trip of 15 km each.
thats too less for a diesel car.

coz a diesel car needs to be warmed up properly (how, thats needs a whole new thread!) before it can be driven properly. and for just 15 kms drive diesel won't give you any major benefit in fuel economy.

moreover, the additional expense of abt 50K over Ikno Flair will take abt 4 years to break even at your level of driving. this will happen only when u doesnt needs any major service!!

and Indigos are known to have the habit of needing couple of major repairs every year! so add that to those 4 years and it will be 5 years!

so, imho, only after 5 years you'll be getting the real benefit of having a diesel car!

but if your driving wud have been in the region of about 18-20K kms per year, a diesel wud have been the best option!

so, i guess petrol car is what you need!
so either go for Ikon Flair or any other petrol car, you have lot many options!!

good luck!
happy searching!!
revharder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th June 2006, 23:27   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgu88
it has got ROCAM engine (imported).The services of ford are same as that on UK acording to my uncle.Indgo as got many problems compared to ikon.I recomend to go for ikon it has better value for money and its from the makers of car.oops........there is a 0% finace offer from FORD CREDIT.it is really good
thats interesting. Imported?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 01:14   #11
BHPian

I dont think so.The engines for the ford ikon both 1.3 & 1.6 come with "MADE IN INDIA" tag. They are manufactured for ford by Hindustan Motors some where in Tamil Nadu.If it had been imported then ikon would never had been so cheaper.
hari_rama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 11:36   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArijitM
Hello gurus,
I am buying my first car in next few weeks. Given my requirement & budget (max 5.5L) , I have done some research (in this site) & shortlisted Ikon Flair 1.3 (Petrol) & Indigo LX (Diesel). Esteem I have not considered as I am tall & bulky.
If you're looking at the Indigo (since you're tall and bulky) you should perhaps look at the petrol option instead of diesel. Drive the petrol version and see if you like it - it tends to surprise people who expect it to be anaemic and sluggish.

However, with fuel prices increasing every other day, I'm not surpised by your diesel inclinations. All said and done, diesel is still considerably cheaper than petrol, despite all the claims that the gap will come down I havent seen much of that happening. When I left India Petrol was about Rs.27 and Diesel was 15 or 16...today its about 50 and 33. I dont see the 'gap narrowing' as many people predict.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2006, 12:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

Isn't the 100 bhp 16 valve Indigo Motor, previewed in the Indigo LWB just around the corner.

I know it does get risky with New Tata Vehicles/Engines, but I think they are testing it really exhaustively this time.
1100D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 11:24   #14
Senior - BHPian

The ROCAM engines are assembled for Ford by HML in Indore. They are made in S.Africa I think.

Go for the Flair - its a good car with a responsive engine, good handling and ride, FE is pretty decent too. Its a myth that Ford spares are costly...I mean if you take good care of your baby you wont even require spares. I have the Ikon 1.6 for almost 4 years now...besides regular servicing it hasnt needed anything. I have run 70K kms in it and it still runs like a dream.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th June 2006, 11:51   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hari_rama
I dont think so.The engines for the ford ikon both 1.3 & 1.6 come with "MADE IN INDIA" tag. They are manufactured for ford by Hindustan Motors some where in Tamil Nadu.If it had been imported then ikon would never had been so cheaper.
Yep all cars from Yr 2003 onwards have indian build/assembled Engines by HMIL at Calcutta. thats the reason the car became cheaper,All pre 2003 cars had engines imported from south africa's Ford plant.
My cousins 2003 Ikon 1.3 Rocam gives around 11 in city which is a decent figure imo & the car is trouble free till date with regular service intervals.
Ford Rocam is offline   Reply With Quote