Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 22nd October 2013, 11:33   #16
BHPian

Default Re: Pre-owned Skoda Laura TSI or Honda Civic

I own a 2008 Civic MT V version that has clocked 39K kms. I have had great ownership experience this far and my maintenance bills have the usual service costs and nothing else. Few grouses that I have are:

--> The car used to scrape bumps on full load (I usually have 4 adults and 1 kid in the car during family outings) however those instances are now rare with many of the Himalayan bumps removed after the BBMP drive. Related problem is the bottoming out on full load, that's the soft suspension to blame, haven't felt that to be a showstopper though.

--> Another one is the lack of low end torque, where in highways you would see other cars (particularly the new CRDi ones) pulling away at toll-plazas, but Civic's top end makes up for it. Its a rev happy engine and it pulls like mad 5k-7k+ range.

Over all a wonderful user experience and definite recommend for somebody wanting to consider a used-Civic.

I love the Laura's big car feel and raw power of 1.8TSI. Grouses there are the tall transmission tunnel that intrudes into the 3rd rear passenger space and Skoda ASS, a 'Damocles Sword'.

Last edited by alabjarus : 22nd October 2013 at 11:35.
alabjarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd October 2013, 13:22   #17
Team-BHP Support

I have driven both the Honda Civic and Laura TSI on the Hyderabad's famous ORR which is a heaven for high revving engines.

In my personal opinion, the Civic is nowhwere close to the silky smooth Laura TSI in terms of engine refinement and straightline accelaration performance
Honda needs really hard revvs and standing on gas pedal to reach higher speeds whereas it takes much lesser effort for the Laura TSI.

Besides, the suspension of the Honda even on well laid tar or cement road with even the smallest bump/dip which are plenty in hyderabad feels terribly wallowy and makes you feel uncomfortable due to it's softer tune

If you are not solely dependent on Skoda A.S.S and have a good garage that you can rely on (I know many skoda owners in Hyderabad who never go to Skoda A.S.S but, a reliable garage that we all know about and never faced the horror stores that has become the norm of Skoda A.S.S) Then I would recommend the Laura TSI, eyes closed

Happy Shopping !!!
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 26th October 2013, 17:34   #18
BHPian

Thank you all for helping me decide.

This may be slightly off topic here, but Is there a good independent garage in Bangalore that can check a Skoda vehicle thoroughly including a Scan?

The service center folks says they wont do that and only will do that as a part of Service.

The details I am looking for would be,

1. Diag Scan
2. Suspension
3. Clutch Flywheel
4. Disk pads and rotors
5. Timing chain issues

etc etc..
0and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 03:18   #19
BHPian

Red face Re: Pre-owned Skoda Laura TSI or Honda Civic

Hello BHPians,

I came across a Laura recently and it is an accident vehicle.

The passenger side airbag came out, and it has not been fixed, however rest was fixed and as per the owner, it was the Boost(don't know what is this), Radiator, one side lights. A job was done in a independent garage, and the rest of the thing looks good.

Is there a garage in Bangalore when I can get things really verified? Tafe said they don't so these checks and will only do so if it is being serviced.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
If performance is your main criteria then go for the Laura TSI with your eyes closed. The Laura TSI is one of the cheapest cars to sport this gem of a 1.8 litre turbocharged engine. With all the torque on tap the 160 hp car feels more like a 180 - 190 hp car. The 1.8 TSI engine has been pretty reliable and you'd be hard pressed to find an unhappy owner. It runs fine on 91 octane. City mileage figures may be on par with the Civic , but highway figures are bound to be better. It was sold in only one trim - the Ambition, so it is not loaded with a lot of features.

Go for the Civic only if you are worried about the Skoda factor. Skoda service can be a hit or a miss. But as far as the cars are concerned, the Laura TSI is a far better overall package.

Hello Santosh,

I would be grateful if it is possible for you to accompany me in any given day of your choice for a couple hours to have a checkup done. With my first Skoda, I do not want to give in to a lemon, OR if you can redirect me to a person that you know knows about Laura.

I actually wanted to make use of the PM feature for this but unfortunately I am not a BHPian yet so it has not yet been enabled.
0and1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2013, 10:34   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0and1 View Post

Hello Santosh,

I would be grateful if it is possible for you to accompany me in any given day of your choice for a couple hours to have a checkup done. With my first Skoda, I do not want to give in to a lemon, OR if you can redirect me to a person that you know knows about Laura.

I actually wanted to make use of the PM feature for this but unfortunately I am not a BHPian yet so it has not yet been enabled.
Sure, I'd glad to be of help. I don't know of any independent garage for servicing Skodas as I have always relied on Vinayak motors for my servicing needs. I can talk to Vinayak motors if you want. I can't PM you as you are a newbie. You could update your mail ID in your profile or post it here so that we can connect.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 10:02   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

:::::
Can you please update regarding your car purchase? Picked up the Laura?
If not gone ahead with the specific Laura, its always better to stay of accident vehicles 'knowingly'.

Sorry to be late here (Laura TSI vs. Civic- you already have narrowed on the Laura looks like), but came across this test drive report in youtube. Might be another data point for potential buyers.

Last edited by Safeer : 22nd November 2013 at 10:08. Reason: Wanted to be specific on TSI.
Safeer is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 14:42   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safeer View Post
Can you please update regarding your car purchase? Picked up the Laura?
If not gone ahead with the specific Laura, its always better to stay of accident vehicles 'knowingly'.

Sorry to be late here (Laura TSI vs. Civic- you already have narrowed on the Laura looks like), but came across this test drive report in youtube. Might be another data point for potential buyers.
No he did not go for that car. We checked out car together. It was an accident vehicle and the repairs were very shoddy to say the least. Everything was off about the car. Pity, cause its a 2012 VRS with just 8k kms on the odo.

Last edited by Santoshbhat : 22nd November 2013 at 14:42. Reason: Removed you tube url
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2014, 00:46   #23
BHPian

After a relentless search from 2 cities in India, and willing to get it from 3rd if the deal is good. I was unable to get a well maintained TSI.

The other car that I started looking was the Cruze since one of my extended family member owns one, the Cruze A/T. Again could not get a good deal of a Cruze < 30k~40k in the ODO, less than 3 years old and with detailed service history. My low run also did not justify a diesel Sedan immediately.

When I almost gave up and went to Nissan showroom to book the Terrano, I came across a beautiful Civic, very low run (15k only), immaculate service history, could not resist and took the plunge. Honda has been extremely nice in evaluating it as well! and checking its detailed service history etc, and considering my usage and driving which will be <120kmph 99% of the time, it ticked a lot of better boxes.

I will put up a detailed ownership thread, soon.
0and1 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2014, 20:20   #24
Senior - BHPian

Congratulations.
You will love the Steering, Dash, Airy interiors, space, flat hump at the rear.
If the car is under warranry, check the engine mounts, front wheel bearings, steering rack leakages which are most common issues. Read the Civic dos and donts thread. All DIY solutions are available like Steering audio controls and similar.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th January 2014, 09:14   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hello BHPians,

The passenger side airbag came out, and it has not been fixed, however rest was fixed and as per the owner, it was the Boost(don't know what is this), Radiator, one side lights. A job was done in a independent garage, and the rest of the thing looks good.

Is there a garage in Bangalore when I can get things really verified? Tafe said they don't so these checks and will only do so if it is being serviced.
Hi,

First and foremost, If you're considering a Skoda, Tafe should be your last choice of service centers. I've had quite some bad experiences with them. Vinayak Skoda is way off better! You may have the vehicle thoroughly checked at Vinayak Skoda.

My second piece of advice is to stay away from accident vehicles altogether, especially because you'd mentioned the repairs were done at some independent garage. Skoda requires genuine parts to be present for trouble-free working, any aftermarket parts/spares would NEVER be in place of the stock and can affect the reliability and drivability.

Finally, if you come across a car is from some dealer that has undergone sever repairs, I'm would strongly suspect this to be a total-loss vehicle. There are car dealers who specialize in total-loss vehicles - they purchase from the insurance companies, get it repaired at some garage and sell it off to some un-suspecting buyer who only looks at the brand-name and price.

Though the car could have been repaired, you need to check for the chassis, suspensions etc., to make sure there is no drag while driving. Some of these faults can never be repaired completed, making the car get declared as "total-loss" in the first place.
nitinbose is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 4th December 2014, 22:48   #26
BHPian

I'll need a new car in 2015, and I’m evaluating 'lateral upgrade' options :-). I prefer petrol to diesel and the only reasonable contenders seem to be Civic, Laura-Tsi and perhaps the Altis. I’ve driven friends’ Civics and Corollas but haven’t had an opportunity to lay my hands on the Laura-Tsi.

Two issues that I noticed with Civic are poor-low end torque and low ground clearance. But, I understand that the Sept 2009 and later models have slightly stiffer rear suspension, and that should help tackle Bangalore's famous speed breakers. Can Bangalore bhpians please share their experience with speed breakers and post sept-2009 Civics?

Now coming to Laura-Tsi: Seems Lauras have some issues related to airconditioning performance, windshield misting and compressor conking off. (See: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...ml#post2037697 (Need Help deciding between Laura or Civic).) Did this get fixed in later versions?

What else do I need to watch out for? I’m a noob when it comes to used cars, and it would be great to hear tips on what to look for (and avoid) in the Civic /Laura. Also, I read somewhere that the Skoda dealers don’t usually entertain any requests about service records, so any help there would be appreciated.
Su-47 is online now   Reply With Quote