Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 21st November 2013, 22:11   #16
BHPian

Default re: Preowned BMW 3 Series / X1 versus New Hyundai Elantra EDIT - Bought an X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by sameerg001 View Post
If you're seriously looking at BMW, then you can get one without xenons for almost 4.5 lakhs discount, that's the maximum figure possible. If you're interested in it, let me know, i'll connect you up with the person who offered me the same.

It should be under 30 otr with hr registration.
Will it be with the BSI? Anyways pls PM me the person's details as I don't see any harm in checking
sharadmumbai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 22:49   #17
BHPian

Default re: Preowned BMW 3 Series / X1 versus New Hyundai Elantra EDIT - Bought an X1

My choice would be an Elantra Diesel. Its a great car and has all and more features than a 3-Series. Easy to maintain and sell.

Snob factor is ofcourse better in a BMW.
pahwa is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2013, 22:56   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharadmumbai View Post

Will it be with the BSI? Anyways pls PM me the person's details as I don't see any harm in checking
No not with bsi, that would be additional. Its just the on road price for the car.
sameerg001 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 15:04   #19

I am not a big fan of buying used vehicles. I would prefer to go one model lower but a brand new vehicle.

Talking about Elantra, its well built, loaded with equipment and good design. When I had a test drive of the car, I wasn't impressed with the power. It is good for those who do not want to lead the pack when the signal turns green.

Anyways currently there are heavy discounts going on most of the cars and am sure you will find a perfect car for you.

Happy shopping
tejas.negandhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd November 2013, 22:28   #20
BHPian

Hi sharad. In a situation like yours, it's not easy to decide. There's a risk in everything we do.

If the 3er is tempting you enough, then please do more ground work and wait until you come across one which is mechanically healthy. Easiest way to figure it out would be to buy one directly from BMW Premium Selection but it could be a wee bit expensive since warranty is offered. At the same time, if you have the time and interest, learning more about the 3, common problems associated with that particular model/variant, running costs involved on a general note, ownership experiences, etc., would keep you engaged and involved in buying the car of your dream. The ball is in your court!

On a personal note, there cannot be a 50/50 about these two cars. If your heart beats a 3er in the middle of the night, then you have the answer. To be practical with the budget, I feel you should spend time, effort and sweat to search for a used & mechanically healthy 3 which would keep a grin glued on your face.

P.S. Budget varies for all of us at some level & one car does not mark the end of our lives but what the heck, you live only once! Ask yourself what you want

All the best.
AirbusA340 is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 08:23   #21
Senior - BHPian

I've driven the E90 3 Series (with hydraulic assist steering) compared to the electric assist steering in the present F30 3 Series, let me tell you the E90 (2011) is superior in terms of road feel and dynamics so you should be safe in choosing a low-run 2009/10 model too. BMW's badge tells it all, be it perfect weight distribution, best built interiors and basically- perfection. Electronics inside the car, though is a different story. Basically keep in mind run-flat tyres costing 20k each have to be replaced every 25k kms (upper limit if driven carefully) and the clutch, bearings, belts, sensors etc need attention as per normal wear and tear and can sum up a 6 figure bill in service in case the used car is due for all of that at once. All of this is still ok if you provide atleast 15% of the cost for anticipatory repairs which is reasonable. Elantra is nowhere in terms of driving feel but its build quality is very good and your maintenance costs will be quite low too. My opinion : stick to your used E90 3Series plan
dark.knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 08:36   #22
BHPian

I had a very insightful visit to the BMW dealership in Sector 14 Gurgaon.
I must mention that the person who attended me was superb and very knowledgeable and overall I would give him 10 out of 10 for the effort he to took to explain and show me around despite knowing that I'm looking for pre-owned vehicles from outside as well.

Firstly, the most important one is that BMW brings out new Models every 7-8 years and the current model-2012 is a significant upgrade on the previous one:
8 Speed Transmission Vs 6 speed
More Back Seat Space
I-Drive in base version as well
Light Weight Material which has reduced the car weight approx 150-200 Kgs which will give better mileage and more actual power though the BHP hasn't increased and cars strength has been maintained
New Transmission Lever
Several small minor things which mean that the difference is significant

What it means is that the resale of this newer model after 2-3 yrs will be significantly higher than current 2-3 years old cars as it will be a running model with a longer shelf life.

In a nut shell, he had almost got me convinced that its better to buy a new one Vs old as depreciation hit in both is likely to be same in both cases - approx 7-8 Lakhs after 2 yrs.

Also, the Base Model has started coming with Xenon lamps as standard with an increase in 50k in the price. Since the dealership has stocks of the earlier version, they are offering a much higher discount on the older version. The Xenon Lamp base version will come at around 32.5 OTR and one without at 30.3 and this is without any haggling and can be shaved off by another 50-75k is what I feel.

One significant point he told that if I wanted a 2014 manufactured car, then I'll have to wait till march-14 end or so.

About BSI, it can be bought anytime but will be applicable from date of purchase of the car. So for a 5 yr 60k km BSI, it costs around 3L BSI Ultimate and 2.2L for BSI Plus (excludes service costs)
If you don't take BSI, you still get 2 yrs warranty and you pay only for service and parts changed due to wear and tear like brake pads etc.
I felt that taking BSI made sense as service cost of 5 services for 5 years will be 1.6-1.7L and then brake pad changes will be another 1L or so which happens around 40k mark. So net net BSI makes sense but from Day 1.

Coming to Finance schemes, they offer 25k discount if you get it Financed from them. Its now 11.4% on declining monthly balance upto 7 years tenure and there is a 2% foreclosure penalty.
For a loan of 25L, the EMI is around 43k pm and if you have a tax friendly package, your monthly take home will get reduced by only 30k pm!!!!

For the used car part, I have 2 leads for 2011 cars with around 35k on the odo. Both are asking in range of 16-17L. 1 is without insurance and none have BSI. There is some money back guarantee given by dealer on car being non-accidental and non-tampered meter. If i decide to buy any one of these, around 2L of expenses is sure on tyres and brake pads plus 50k on insurance. Another 1.5-2L on the unknown.

Also, now since this a discontinued model without I-drive, I think that these are worth no more than 11-12 L gross plus the above expenses to make it OTR of 14-15L.
Beyond this, new car makes lot of sense as it will also re-sell at much higher price being a running model. In fact they themselves can but but price can be given only then based on car condition and mileage.
I know many of you will find this price absurdly low but this is the harsh reality for the owners and an opportunity for us!!!!

Wife's all for new car but will then have to wait for a few months!!!!!
Old 24th November 2013, 10:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:

I think you should go ahead and buy a new car if you have the means of buying it.It makes sense in all aspects like no nasty surprises like suspension going bust etc.The real issues start only after 50,000km as far as I have seen in many of my friends cars.
Any particular reason like better resale or a newer car for not buying now?
dean5545 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 10:59   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I had a very insightful visit to the BMW dealership in Sector 14 Gurgaon.
I must mention that the person who attended me was superb and very knowledgeable and overall I would give him 10 out of 10 for the effort he to took to explain and show me around despite knowing that I'm looking for pre-owned vehicles from outside as well.

Firstly, the most important one is that BMW brings out new Models every 7-8 years and the current model-2012 is a significant upgrade on the previous one:
8 Speed Transmission Vs 6 speed
More Back Seat Space
I-Drive in base version as well
Light Weight Material which has reduced the car weight approx 150-200 Kgs which will give better mileage and more actual power though the BHP hasn't increased and cars strength has been maintained
New Transmission Lever
Several small minor things which mean that the difference is significant

What it means is that the resale of this newer model after 2-3 yrs will be significantly higher than current 2-3 years old cars as it will be a running model with a longer shelf life.

In a nut shell, he had almost got me convinced that its better to buy a new one Vs old as depreciation hit in both is likely to be same in both cases - approx 7-8 Lakhs after 2 yrs.

Also, the Base Model has started coming with Xenon lamps as standard with an increase in 50k in the price. Since the dealership has stocks of the earlier version, they are offering a much higher discount on the older version. The Xenon Lamp base version will come at around 32.5 OTR and one without at 30.3.

Can I know the name of person, who attended you there?

I recently helped a friend, who booked 320d with xenons there. I can get you the bestest possible deal, there. If interested PM me. My friend will be taking deliver this week.
sameerg001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 11:02   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejas.negandhi View Post
I am not a big fan of buying used vehicles. I would prefer to go one model lower but a brand new vehicle.
Anyways currently there are heavy discounts going on most of the cars and am sure you will find a perfect car for you.

Happy shopping
thanks Tejas. I'm evaluating the new BMW option seriously now

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean5545 View Post
I think you should go ahead and buy a new car if you have the means of buying it.It makes sense in all aspects like no nasty surprises like suspension going bust etc.The real issues start only after 50,000km as far as I have seen in many of my friends cars.
Any particular reason like better resale or a newer car for not buying now?
Firstly I will prefer to get a 2014 model for BMW so may need to wait till march and secondly one of my secondary cash flow will start in a few months and hence i will be able to stretch my budget then.

However, If I get a really good deal, then I might take the plunge now itself. However, since this will probably my only buy in the next 4-5 years, I will do my due diligence and be patient to ensure I make the best decision

Looks to me now that its a 3 way contest between New Vs Old 3 Series and then New Elantra thrown in case one of those dont work out.

Last edited by sharadmumbai : 24th November 2013 at 11:05. Reason: added text
Old 24th November 2013, 19:02   #26
Senior - BHPian

Seriously consider the Elantra. Seems to be an overall better option compared to a pre-owned 3 which might be a stretch on the budget thanks to the A.S.S/ B.S.i...whatever it is.
Yea, so the elantra wont offer you the driving pleasure of the 3 agreed but on most other occasions itl be as good a car with more features, better comfort dare i say & of course lighter on the pocket as far as A.S.S is concerned.
You might also want to have a look at the Octavia. Its a truly brilliant car.
As far as Skoda after sales is concerned, they have seriously improved IMO.
My second year with a Laura L&K and let me tell you they have been VERY GOOD and prompt consistently.
Good luck !
PlatzdaTurbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 20:02   #27
BANNED

Elantra lacks FTD factor and pre-owned Germans are bound to have issues. What are your other options?
Pedaltothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 20:53   #28
Senior - BHPian

Look out for the previous generation Jetta. Those that are 2011 buy. These cars have 4 years warranty which takes care of your requirement till 2015 and most importantly they are going in used market with minimal use at less than 10L.

You still have 6L to spend on any issues that may creep up from now till another 2 years or so and yet the car is fully loaded and i own one

I have seen these cars with very minimal mileage and available for sale and they are loaded with safety features and are pretty decent drivers car.

If budget is extendable, try searching for a MIni. I love mini and i will probably get one down the line just for the fun driving factor. Its super fun to drive a mini in a traffic prone city. Its like driving a turbo charged Alto from from factor but high quality build and safety.
VW2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2013, 22:16   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Look out for the previous generation Jetta. Those that are 2011 buy. These cars have 4 years warranty which takes care of your requirement till 2015 and most importantly they are going in used market with minimal use at less than 10L. You still have 6L to spend on any issues that may creep up from now till another 2 years or so and yet the car is fully loaded and i own one I have seen these cars with very minimal mileage and available for sale and they are loaded with safety features and are pretty decent drivers car. If budget is extendable, try searching for a MIni. I love mini and i will probably get one down the line just for the fun driving factor. Its super fun to drive a mini in a traffic prone city. Its like driving a turbo charged Alto from from factor but high quality build and safety.
Hey there. Any such sweet deals you can point out in Mumbai. I am interested.
an_and is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th November 2013, 01:23   #30
BHPian

Sharadmumbai, If I may drop in a word of advice, I have been driving a Mercedes E270 CDI since 2005 and I am a huge Hyundai Fan, I have had 12 hyundai's in my house over the last 11 years.

My experience with Mercedes service centres has been very bad, I have never found them very competent and their attitude has left much to be desired. I hear this is the same in BMW. Running a german car tends to be a very pricey game, spares and service tends to be very expensive and invariably cause a decent amount of down time. Please factor that in when you are considering a BMW.

I would seriously recommend that you look at a new BMW because once the car reaches about 50-60k KMs some parts start needing to be replaced and it makes a reasonable size dent in your pocket. Even after completely getting the car checked out there are a number of issues that could slip past undetected. I would only pick up a second hand if the dealer offered some kind of warranty, I know that Mercedes has a pre owned section, not sure if BMW has the same.

Anything related to "high end" German cars tend to be at a premium. For example if the tyre size on the 3 series is not a standard size like my Merc then even getting a new set of rubber becomes a unreasonably premium buy.

All that being said there is no comparing the sheer pleasure of driving a German car down a good road to the Elantra. If your daily commute involves you driving down some kind of expressway the extra cost will definitely worth it.

The Elantra will offer you a very good car in a much better budget and access to Hyundai's fabulous ASS. The cost will be lesser and down time will be negligible. Also the Hyundai network is much wider and gives you alot more flexibility. Also there is lesser chance of your Elantra being vandalized by random people.

Quote:
Looks to me now that its a 3 way contest between New Vs Old 3 Series and then New Elantra thrown in case one of those dont work out.
VellVector is offline   Reply With Quote