Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 9th January 2014, 14:38   #76

Default Best Diesel Car below 10 L INR

Hello BHPians

I am looking for first hand diesel sedan (as Diesel SUVs come in this range) fully loaded at a price tag below 10 L INR.

Though I have not compared many of the sedans, the two I have considered were Swift Dzire ZDI and Toyota Etios VD SP (Safety Package)

Out of the both, the reason for opting Etios are
1) Toyota Dealer in Bangalore is giving a good exchange price of 2.2 L for my old 2008 Wagon R LXi which run 24000 Kms plus exchange benefits of 35000 coming from the company like exchange bonus, loyalty bonus, corporate discount etc.
2) Etios is much more spacious that Dzire in boot space.
3) Back seat and driving comfort is excellent in Etios.
4) Interiors are not so good in Etios but now Toyota dealers are offering some tweaks like Chrome rings and wood furnishings etc to look good.
5) Maintenance of Toyota is once in 10000Kms are quite reasonable paid service value.

Could you also suggest me other vehicles in this range. I am mainly looking for a) drive and seating comfort b) boot space c) safety features d) Mileage e) Maintenance expenses f) resale value

Help me out.
-Srini
srinivasu1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 18:03   #77
BHPian

Default Re: Best Diesel Car below 10 L INR

Dear Srini,

There are many cars available in this range. You will get the details of all cars including available diesel sedans in the car review section on this forum. Many owners have discussed their experience with the cars in the long term ownership review.

You should go through these available threads in detail and then take a decision, which suits your interest.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 18:17   #78
BHPian

Srini,

Any specific reason why you want to upgrade, especially to a diesel? Given that your WagonR has only done 24K in 6yrs (around 4K per year), you might not be driving enough to justify a diesel. Also, I'm sure the WagonR is in great condition too, so you'll derive much value from continuing to drive it a few more years instead of paying more to save money at the pump.

I know, worst advice ever

I hope 24K wasn't a typo. Is it 2.4L km?

Last edited by hellmet : 9th January 2014 at 18:19.
hellmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 18:34   #79
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Comfortable Entry Level Sedan - Etios / Verito / Sail / Manza / Sunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
To be honest, none of the cars listed looks good to me; Sail is slightly better. All of them are quirky either in interiors or exteriors or both.
Any test drives or updates @swiftnfurious? I happened to read BHPian spinks_69's signature and got reminded of this thread

Our roads are full of battered Indicas and I guess you will be much better with a car with less bothersome service more than anything else. There comes the importance of Toyota, Tata and Maruti; the latter two scoring on the number of service centers and friendly garages for their cars more than the cost and experience of service or repair.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 18:44   #80
Distinguished - BHPian

Default Re: Comfortable Entry Level Sedan - Etios / Verito / Sail / Manza / Sunny?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Any test drives or updates @swiftnfurious? I happened to read BHPian spinks_69's signature and got reminded of this thread

Our roads are full of battered Indicas and I guess you will be much better with a car with less bothersome service more than anything else. There comes the importance of Toyota, Tata and Maruti; the latter two scoring on the number of service centers and friendly garages for their cars more than the cost and experience of service or repair.
Nop buddy! Am in Chennai and hence it will take some more time to take a decision on this. Plus some NOT so good news at home - so NOT sure how will this end up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
...I myself could not believe that I would be spending 8 lakhs on a Maruti, but it seemed a logical compromise(because of rear space & boot) & I am loving it now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by delix View Post
I totally agree with you. I too never imagined spending 8 lacs for a maruti. But once I test drove the new Dzire (diesel), I just fell in love with it. The boot is not huge, but it does its job for nuclear family size. Moreover, the mileage that the car offers is amazing, not to mention its refinement.
We already have a Swift at home. Dzire does NOT provide anything substantial from the Swift except a slightly better quality & boot space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiya.c View Post
...I think if your budget permits then you should re-consider the Fiesta Classic and check out the new Linea classic too. Fiesta Classic although has the smallest cabin among these but is sufficient for 4 adults. It's build quality is on par with the other cars you have short listed...
A bit too long in the tooth. Again, we want a spacious car this time. As I said, we already have a Swift & i20 at home - so this car has to bring in more than these two cars.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th January 2014 at 18:49.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 19:30   #81

Appreciate your advice @hellmet, unfortunately every time my WagonR goes for a paid service gets a bill of 3,500 and for petrol vehicles the service needs to be happening for every 5000 Kms.

Agree that my usage is less with my ODO hitting 24000 Kms and for sure its not a typo error.

I am looking for a vehicle to start using it extensively and go for a long drive (800 Kms) once in 2 months, that was the reason I was looking for a Diesel vehicle.

While at the same time with a difference of 5 to 8 kms per liter, I feel its worth to go for diesel and I am not looking for a change in the next 7 to 8 Yrs.
srinivasu1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 19:57   #82
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Nop buddy! Am in Chennai and hence it will take some more time to take a decision on this. Plus some NOT so good news at home - so NOT sure how will this end up.

As I said, we already have a Swift & i20 at home - so this car has to bring in more than these two cars.
Hope now all is well at home and nothing to worry?!

I'll suggest either the Etios or Sunny, both are priced differently but if ASC and reliability is a concern go in for Etios which is decently spacious.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:07   #83
BHPian

Quote:
We already have a Swift at home. Dzire does NOT provide anything substantial from the Swift except a slightly better quality & boot space.

Again, we want a spacious car this time. As I said, we already have a Swift & i20 at home - so this car has to bring in more than these two cars.
You have an old swift, just take a TD of the new DZire.

Also, an Entry level sedan is similar to a premium hatchback(you already own) in terms of engine/features/space/interiors. Its just a different body structure.
I guess you are searching for a car in the wrong segment.
ank.nsit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:29   #84
Senior - BHPian

Try the Nissan Sunny. Got loads of equipment, space, great ride, and decent A.S.S.
Parts might be an issue though. Do look into it.
IshaanIan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:50   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srinivasu1976 View Post
Appreciate your advice @hellmet, unfortunately every time my WagonR goes for a paid service gets a bill of 3,500 and for petrol vehicles the service needs to be happening for every 5000 Kms.

Agree that my usage is less with my ODO hitting 24000 Kms and for sure its not a typo error.

I am looking for a vehicle to start using it extensively and go for a long drive (800 Kms) once in 2 months, that was the reason I was looking for a Diesel vehicle.

While at the same time with a difference of 5 to 8 kms per liter, I feel its worth to go for diesel and I am not looking for a change in the next 7 to 8 Yrs.
Even if you are planning long drives of about 800 km in two months, think whether this justifies going for a diesel. A diesel vehicle will cost you more than a petrol one and unless you are driving about 1000 km in a month, you won't be able to recover the cost difference, that too in about three years. So think again, why you would like to go for a diesel sedan. There is a thread on this diesel vs petrol topic, you can have a look.

Between Dzire and Etios, both are very good choices. Toyotas are cheap to maintain than Marutis (see Amalji's ownership thread on Etios) and if you are planning a lot of travelling in the coming 6 to 7 years, you might go for Etios, provided you are happy with a great car but spartan interiors. On the other hand, Dzire is a hugely popular car and spares are easy to procure even with roadside mechanics.

You can also think about the petrol variants of these two cars, if your running is not that high. Not all petrol vehicles need 5000 km service interval. Etios petrol needs to be serviced at 10K km.

Last edited by subratasenn : 9th January 2014 at 21:09.
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:54   #86
Senior - BHPian

You should definetly give the I20 CRDI, sports or Asta (Not sure if Asta is <10L) a test. I own a Dzire and its pretty good and the top end comes loaded with features, so one of these may satisfy your needs.
dass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 20:57   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
You should definetly give the I20 CRDI, sports or Asta (Not sure if Asta is <10L) a test. I own a Dzire and its pretty good and the top end comes loaded with features, so one of these may satisfy your needs.
He was talking about a sedan. How can i20 come into that category?
subratasenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 21:02   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
I20 CRDI is a hatchback and not a sedan. The car is a fun to drive and the built quality in top notch. However, if the requirement as mentioned in the first post is specifically limited to sedan than this car does not fall under the desired category.
mints21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 21:02   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by subratasenn View Post
He was talking about a sedan. How can i20 come into that category?
No harm in giving an alternate perspective, isn't it?

Dzire is a sub 4 meter car, so is I20. When he had Dzire shortlisted, there is no harm in taking a look at the I20 too. I looked at both and then brought myself Dzire.
dass is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th January 2014, 21:05   #90
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ank.nsit View Post
You have an old swift, just take a TD of the new DZire.

Also, an Entry level sedan is similar to a premium hatchback(you already own) in terms of engine/features/space/interiors. Its just a different body structure.
I guess you are searching for a car in the wrong segment.
Sorry, but how is Dzire a proper sedan? My first requirement is NO 2.5 box! It can neither accommodate people in comfort NOR carry any good amount of luggage for long hauls.

I did have a check on the new Dzire - I could NOT find any sizeable increase in rear space or luggage space. It feels airy due to the beige interiors. The initial cost or service costs of Dzire just doesn't justify as a second car in the family. The ONLY advantage I see is the better driver oriented nature of the car. But then, for me, that's more of a bonus and NOT a mandate. To me, our i20 can do a better job than Dzire for ferrying people.

I would rather call Dzire as a compact sedan and NOT an entry level sedan. I would consider Amaze more than Dzire as it has more space (both rear & luggage).

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 9th January 2014 at 21:08.
swiftnfurious is offline   Reply With Quote