Vento DSG Petrol 86 40.76%
Increase Budget or Consider Deisel 27 12.80%
Voters: 211. You may not vote on this poll

Old 13th April 2016, 13:05   #316
BHPian

Default Re: Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Baleno is a CVT. It already existed in the Delta Variant (2nd variant from the bottom), Now they have launched it in the next higher variant.

Still not available with the top variant.
I doubt Maruti would ever make the Baleno CVT available on the Alpha trim. It has more to do with the "sticker pinch" effect than anything else. The Zeta CVT would be around 9 L on-road in cities like Bengaluru. They would not want that on-road price to touch the million rupee mark on the alpha. Perception more than anything else.
Also the zeta has most of the features which are available in Alpha, the notable omission being the Car Play enable ICE. So in the long term, this is the highest variant on which they would offer their CVT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
That's true. I think I'll give it a chance if I get some good discount.

Yesterday, I casually visited a used car dealer opposite to my regular supermarket. They happened to have a Vento Petrol AT (1.6L). With the driver seat height adjustment I could find comfortable driving position easily. It's not that low seating and there's decent space in the back as well. I took it out for a short test drive around that area. I liked the comfort and handling but the engine lacked the punch to my liking. I think the TSI engine should take care of that, but it's going bit over budget. I'll still test drive it anyway next week.
Good to hear that. I am sure you would find the TSI a lot more fun as compared to the 1.6 L AT.
Baddychat is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd April 2016, 10:49   #317
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jampot View Post
That's true. I think I'll give it a chance if I get some good discount.

Yesterday, I casually visited a used car dealer opposite to my regular supermarket. They happened to have a Vento Petrol AT (1.6L). With the driver seat height adjustment I could find comfortable driving position easily. It's not that low seating and there's decent space in the back as well. I took it out for a short test drive around that area. I liked the comfort and handling but the engine lacked the punch to my liking. I think the TSI engine should take care of that, but it's going bit over budget. I'll still test drive it anyway next week.
Here in NCR dealers are offering a cash discount of 75K if you bargain hard on the TSI. IF you are willing to buy a 2015 end manufactured car, the discount can go upto 1L.

I have booked a Vento TSI HL yesterday with an overall cash discount of 75K with delivery promised in ttwo weeks. Drove every automatic around under 20L, which included the following:

Verna: pathetic gearbox and lacklustre petrol engine

Duster AMT: Wouldnt touch one post my TD even if someone gave it to me for free

Creta AT- Good car (not great) ticks all boxes but lacks soul. Plus its grossly overpriced IMHO at close to 17 big ones, coupled with a 4 month waiting list (BTW, this waiting is artificial since if you commit to buy insurance and accessories worth 50K from dealer, they will conjure up a car for you out of thin air and deliver in a week!

XUV- very very nice, loved the drive, but its 18OTR and not registerable in NCR....so my first choice goes out of the window!

City CVT/Jazz CVT- verry flimsy build quality. while the CVT box is quite acceptable for sedate driving, on a spirited run, its seems a bit confused. overall not too involving to drive.

Ciaz AT- Again that 4 speed AT seems archaic in today's day and age

Vento TSI- what can i say- One drive and i was smitten. That engine and DSG combo is sublime, ride is near perfect, handling is great and is the only one that induced a big smile post TD. The interior quality and finish is great, but one gripe I had was that the door arm rests are not padded- big miss IMHO. Bit worried about the GC since i have been driving SUVS forr the last 10 years, but nothing that I cannot live with.

so my suggestion is to give the vento a long hard look. do an extended TD of the TSI- its available in comfortline and highline trim so you have options based on your budget.

Cheers!
himanshugoswami is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd April 2016, 00:26   #318

Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
Here in NCR dealers are offering a cash discount of 75K if you bargain hard on the TSI. IF you are willing to buy a 2015 end manufactured car, the discount can go upto 1L.
Cheers!
That's pretty good overview of current status of automatics and a good endorsement of Vento TSI.

I'm trying to get a TD arranged for past two weeks. My travel schedule is coming in between (I'll be away again for another week) :(

I read quite a few concerns on DSG reliability, but most of them are few years old. Did VW fix those concerns? Is there any additional warranty on the DSG?
jampot is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th May 2016, 23:24   #319

Smile Re: Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs

Due to travel and other deadlines couldn't take any other test drive. My mind was almost fixed on settling for the Aspire AT (or Vento TSI if budget permitted). However, my wife was not keen on having a sedan. So the only option left for my budget was the EcoSport AT, which I really liked for safety, handling, driving position, ground clearance and other rich feature set. Although the EcoSport TD was not exciting in terms of initial torque I wanted to have another go. It was possible that the test vehicle was not well tuned (it already had 28K on the odo).

Luckily, I found an EcoSport AT (July-2013 model) at the used car dealer near my office last week which had less than 10k on the odo. The low-end torque on this car was marginally better than the official test vehicle. I found it satisfactory considering that 90% of my commute has been within city where I rarely make use of the 5th gear. The suspension was as stiff as the Ford Aspire on less than perfect roads at low speeds. But I'm reading in the forums that stiff suspension helps in handling, which I think is more important on the highway.

I got the offer of 9L for this car which is almost new. I got it checked by a Ford service engineer according to whom only regular service is required. I think it was good value for money even after recent discounts by Ford. Somehow I was able to convince my accountant to go for the pre-owned vehicle instead of a new one, saving something for a rainy day. Got the delivery yesterday after full payment.

Gave it for service today. The service engineer called in the evening to let me know that there is a recall service pending for this car, which has something to do with the automatic transmission. May be I should head to EcoSport thread to get some more info on that.

Thanks to all of you for keeping company and providing valuable inputs along the decision making process.
Attached Images

jampot is offline   Reply With Quote