Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2014, 12:17   #31
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Let me state that I had planned to buy a Comfortline Jetta and up-spec the stereo. But I would have to wait a few months and it would cost a lot ore due to price increases. TTo offset impending price increase and through a discount, I decided to buy a Highline in the same colour for what would have been Rs 50000 more than the new.

On hindsight, the Highline was ideal. The stereo is spot on and the wheels go well with the colour. Electric seats are more of a nice to have and a lot better than the clunky manual controls (the Skoda was a lot better) but i could live without it though.
Under those circumstances (imminent price increase), your choice makes the most sense. However, I can't get my head around the current gap in the features vs. the difference in the on-road price of these 2 variants.

The differences between the variants now, as I understand it, is that the following features are available only in the Highline:
- Bi-xenon lights
- Electric seats
- Headlight washers
- RCD 510 HU with touch-screen
- Rear parking display enabled (the Comfortline only has acoustic indicators from both front and back)
- BT hands-free

The "headline" features listed for each of these variants on the Volkswagen website is a bit misleading. Looking at the details for each of these variants side-by-side establishes just the above differences

Last edited by BackInTheFold : 27th January 2014 at 12:20. Reason: Mentioned the source of the differences; fixed grammar
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 12:55   #32
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,629
Thanked: 8,749 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
The differences between the variants now, as I understand it, is that the following features are available only in the Highline:
- Bi-xenon lights
- Electric seats
- Headlight washers
- RCD 510 HU with touch-screen
- Rear parking display enabled (the Comfortline only has acoustic indicators from both front and back)
- BT hands-free
Let me help you in your decision making

Xenon lights- they look sexy but are limited on rainy conditions. Very expensive if you have a prang. The ballasts give up from 3-7 years on. (I had no problem with my skoda but they were palying up when I was about to sell) and cost Rs 30k from dealer, cheaper elsewhere

Electric Seats- More of a nice to have since you can make minute adjustments on the move

Headlight washers - we wash our cars regualalry and hardly travel through muck. These are necessary for Xenons and dirty lenses causes distort Xenon light spread. Only other unwitting use is to spray the person behind or the pedestrian in front. The jets spray is strong!

RCD510 - this is the only thing worth going for but you can upspec a comfortline.

Rear parking display - The Highline also has sensors in the front. I rarely use the display and use my hearing to listen to the warnings

BT Hands free- mine did not have this but you can upsec your HU or buy a in car kit.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 13:01   #33
Team-BHP Support
 
Vid6639's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 14,105
Thanked: 18,288 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

This is what I have been seeing many people confused with. The lack of a DSG Comfortline. They have kept the DSG variant only for the Highline which means you need to pay 3L over comfort line and more than a lakh above that for the DSG.

They are losing customers to Skoda only cause of this strategy. The Comfortline is the perfect variant if you need an AT but don't need the extra gizmos. The comfortline also makes the most sense if your chauffeur driven.

The Highline MT and Highline DSG as a result end up being priced very close to Superb 1.8 TSI MT top spec Elegance. The amount of car you get in the Superb leaves the Jetta way behind.

VW can really help themselves with the Comfortline DSG. If they would have seen Laura sales earlier, there were quite a few of Ambition DSG's that were being sold above the L&K.

One option I can suggest is to look at a used Passat. Will be sub 20 and is a proper upgrade from the Laura.
Vid6639 is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 13:15   #34
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Let me help you in your decision making

Xenon lights- they look sexy but are limited on rainy conditions. Very expensive if you have a prang. The ballasts give up from 3-7 years on. (I had no problem with my skoda but they were palying up when I was about to sell) and cost Rs 30k from dealer, cheaper elsewhere

Electric Seats- More of a nice to have since you can make minute adjustments on the move

Headlight washers - we wash our cars regualalry and hardly travel through muck. These are necessary for Xenons and dirty lenses causes distort Xenon light spread. Only other unwitting use is to spray the person behind or the pedestrian in front. The jets spray is strong!

RCD510 - this is the only thing worth going for but you can upspec a comfortline.

Rear parking display - The Highline also has sensors in the front. I rarely use the display and use my hearing to listen to the warnings

BT Hands free- mine did not have this but you can upsec your HU or buy a in car kit.
My thoughts exactly. I'm thinking of negotiating on the OEM HU and the BT at the time of purchase, saving myself the bother of doing this later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
This is what I have been seeing many people confused with. The lack of a DSG Comfortline. They have kept the DSG variant only for the Highline which means you need to pay 3L over comfort line and more than a lakh above that for the DSG.

They are losing customers to Skoda only cause of this strategy. The Comfortline is the perfect variant if you need an AT but don't need the extra gizmos. The comfortline also makes the most sense if your chauffeur driven.

The Highline MT and Highline DSG as a result end up being priced very close to Superb 1.8 TSI MT top spec Elegance. The amount of car you get in the Superb leaves the Jetta way behind.

VW can really help themselves with the Comfortline DSG. If they would have seen Laura sales earlier, there were quite a few of Ambition DSG's that were being sold above the L&K.

One option I can suggest is to look at a used Passat. Will be sub 20 and is a proper upgrade from the Laura.
The decision not to have a Comfortline DSG is a real head-scratcher. I had the Ambition/Ambience variant in the Laura.

Re: the used Passat option
I don't want to be stuck with a car without extended warranty for the next 3-4 years. Rumors about of good deals with the Manual Passat. However, it is a Trendline and extremely compromised in terms of kit and therefore, not worth it
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 13:39   #35
Senior - BHPian
 
_raVan_'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,062
Thanked: 485 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
The 2 assumptions that dropped the Cruze from the list were indifferent handling around curves and relative ground clearance. Any views to negate those assumptions?
My friend (also a fellow BHPian) owns a Cruze, and its a delight! He has not bottomed out yet even on the Pune speed breakers. Do test drive it.

Also, if price permits, as suggested above do checkout the Volvo S60.

Last edited by _raVan_ : 27th January 2014 at 13:41.
_raVan_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 14:02   #36
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,006
Thanked: 5,148 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
Re: the used Passat option
I don't want to be stuck with a car without extended warranty for the next 3-4 years. Rumors about of good deals with the Manual Passat. However, it is a Trendline and extremely compromised in terms of kit and therefore, not worth it
The way I see it, you have the following choices;

1. A straight replacement with the recently phased out Laura Top spec (in case you can find any stock)
2. Go for a new Top spec Octy.
3. Go for a new Top spec Jetta.

I would not go for an used option for exactly the same reasons you have put forward above. With this segment and these Euro manufacturers, it is far better to have the advantage of the extended warranty, zero dep insurance and when you buy brand new, at least psychologically, you feel better, since the car is being driven around in a relatively better controlled environment right from the start and there are no gaping black holes in its history.

Whichever car you choose, just ensure that along with all the generic safety kit like ABS and Airbags etc, it also comes with ESP. I do believe that all cars being sold in Europe and Australia these days, have to offer ESP. I would say that ESP is super-important in India where the typically peculiar circumstances here, might force one to make sudden swerving moves while driving on the highways.

Last edited by shankar.balan : 27th January 2014 at 14:28. Reason: Spell
shankar.balan is offline   (4) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 15:01   #37
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Chennai
Posts: 1,001
Thanked: 643 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

I would second Shankar here. The top trim would have all the advanced features and no need ever to upgrade.

Regarding a used car, you could check for one with an extended warranty, that's been used for 1-2 years.
nitinbose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 16:04   #38
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 45,670
Thanked: 75,614 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
What are your thoughts on the Yeti?
Very competent when compared to other SUVs, but not in comparison to the Jetta or Octavia. The sedans are far superior, starting with the space.

It looks way too weird for my tastes and buying a flop model means horrible resale 5 years down the line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpamit View Post
What about the Honda Civic or the Chevy Cruze? heard the new cruze is a whole lot better than the old one, with a slick auto box available as well.
The Honda Civic has been long discontinued. It's way too old & outdated when compared to the likes of the Jetta & Octavia.

The Cruze doesn't have a slick automatic at all! In fact, it's one of the slowest shifting trannies out there, and frequently ends up confused. Then, backseat comfort is compromised and the steering / dynamics aren't a match to the German duo. Honestly, other than the price, the Cruze has little going for it today. No wonder it lost its leadership of the D1 segment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
The safety features are identical. The Comfortline also has the rear curtain airbags
Comfortline definitely makes more sense unless you get top $$$ discounts on the Highline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
If you are open to used premium cars why not look at a Volvo S60? They are very safe. Look good. Handles well. Powerful enough. And for most parts an acceptable 5 seater.
The S60 is CRAMPED at the back! The diesel FWD is hardly a handler and ride quality is far away from the segment best. That 5-cylinder motor isn't high-rpm friendly and the AT feels dimwitted in certain conditions. The S60 is the most mediocre luxury car out there, unless you talk of the petrol T6.
GTO is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 16:22   #39
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Dehra Dun
Posts: 71
Thanked: 28 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

The face lifted Jetta has enough kit to keep you happy! The Highline DSG is a gem of a car. Also it's very economical, it gives 12-13 km/pl in the city which is amazing for a D1 car. (Not sure about this. Correct me if I am wrong)
You can have my word on this since I own the pre-facelift Jetta
thebfg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 16:26   #40
Senior - BHPian
 
Santoshbhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,671
Thanked: 2,362 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

After having been used to an AT car, its not easy to go back to manual, esp for in city drives. I suggest you strike off all MT options.

Among diesels, the Octy DSG would be perfect. But the torsion beam rear is a bitter pill to swallow after paying so much. That leaves you with the Jetta highline DSG and the Octy TSI DSG.

I believe the Octy TSI DSG is now available in Ambition trim as well.
Santoshbhat is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 16:49   #41
BHPian
 
flipsyde's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chennai
Posts: 636
Thanked: 58 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Very competent when compared to other SUVs, but not in comparison to the Jetta or Octavia. The sedans are far superior, starting with the space.

It looks way too weird for my tastes and buying a flop model means horrible resale 5 years down the line.



The Honda Civic has been long discontinued. It's way too old & outdated when compared to the likes of the Jetta & Octavia.

The Cruze doesn't have a slick automatic at all! In fact, it's one of the slowest shifting trannies out there, and frequently ends up confused. Then, backseat comfort is compromised and the steering / dynamics aren't a match to the German duo. Honestly, other than the price, the Cruze has little going for it today. No wonder it lost its leadership of the D1 segment.



Comfortline definitely makes more sense unless you get top $$$ discounts on the Highline.



The S60 is CRAMPED at the back! The diesel FWD is hardly a handler and ride quality is far away from the segment best. That 5-cylinder motor isn't high-rpm friendly and the AT feels dimwitted in certain conditions. The S60 is the most mediocre luxury car out there, unless you talk of the petrol T6.
Actually I was talking about the S60 diesel.

Its no BMW 3 Series when it comes to handling but it certainly feels premium on the inside with all that CBU build quality. And its certainly less cramped compared to a E90. Besides I thought 5 passengers were a rarity. Its not going to matter much if its 3 people most of the time.

The motor doesn't like to be rushed and neither does the AT box but they both in tandem do the job ok I feel.

Anyway I've always felt the Volvo S60 was a good car overall. The build quality has always been well ahead of the competition in that segment. (Keep in mind I speak of a 2010-era used cars)
flipsyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 17:17   #42
BHPian
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 196
Thanked: 251 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Actually I was talking about the S60 diesel.

Its no BMW 3 Series when it comes to handling but it certainly feels premium on the inside with all that CBU build quality. And its certainly less cramped compared to a E90. Besides I thought 5 passengers were a rarity. Its not going to matter much if its 3 people most of the time.

The motor doesn't like to be rushed and neither does the AT box but they both in tandem do the job ok I feel.

Anyway I've always felt the Volvo S60 was a good car overall. The build quality has always been well ahead of the competition in that segment. (Keep in mind I speak of a 2010-era used cars)
I hear you on the safety aspects of the Volvo. However, take my concerns about owning a used car without warranty and multiply it with the paucity of the service network and (assumed) high cost of spares - that safely rules out the S60. GTO's points on the space and driving pleasure add to this conclusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
After having been used to an AT car, its not easy to go back to manual, esp for in city drives. I suggest you strike off all MT options.

Among diesels, the Octy DSG would be perfect. But the torsion beam rear is a bitter pill to swallow after paying so much. That leaves you with the Jetta highline DSG and the Octy TSI DSG.

I believe the Octy TSI DSG is now available in Ambition trim as well.
I agree on the comfort that the DSG provides. However, I'm leery of buying a DSG without extended warranty - I had extended warranty on my Laura. If I'm stuck with an MT, I'd prefer something sweet-shifting like the Jetta to one in which shifting gears is an ordeal.

While I know of your running from your thread, I think going to Petrol from Diesel for the same number of annual km's would be difficult to stomach, particularly when the Diesel version (albeit with MT) is priced lower.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebfg View Post
The face lifted Jetta has enough kit to keep you happy! The Highline DSG is a gem of a car. Also it's very economical, it gives 12-13 km/pl in the city which is amazing for a D1 car. (Not sure about this. Correct me if I am wrong)
You can have my word on this since I own the pre-facelift Jetta
Thanks. I too had a Laura DSG which used to regularly turn out 12 km's within the city and 16+ in spirited highway driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
The way I see it, you have the following choices;

1. A straight replacement with the recently phased out Laura Top spec (in case you can find any stock)
2. Go for a new Top spec Octy.
3. Go for a new Top spec Jetta.

I would not go for an used option for exactly the same reasons you have put forward above. With this segment and these Euro manufacturers, it is far better to have the advantage of the extended warranty, zero dep insurance and when you buy brand new, at least psychologically, you feel better, since the car is being driven around in a relatively better controlled environment right from the start and there are no gaping black holes in its history.

Whichever car you choose, just ensure that along with all the generic safety kit like ABS and Airbags etc, it also comes with ESP. I do believe that all cars being sold in Europe and Australia these days, have to offer ESP. I would say that ESP is super-important in India where the typically peculiar circumstances here, might force one to make sudden swerving moves while driving on the highways.
As you know from my earlier thread which necessitated this purchase in the first place, safety features are front and center. All the alphabet soup that they can throw at me is must-have (ABS, ESP etc.) along with as many airbags as possible.

To your recommendations, 1 is not possible since there is no inventory. 2 is limited to the 1.8 TSI Octavia Ambition because of the compromised suspension in the TDI. My reservations against the TSI are above in response to Santosh's post.
The debate is on 3 since the highest end Jetta MT has little to offer over the mid-level variant.

I'm leaning towards the Jetta Comfortline at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinbose View Post
I would second Shankar here. The top trim would have all the advanced features and no need ever to upgrade.

Regarding a used car, you could check for one with an extended warranty, that's been used for 1-2 years.
Thanks. See my response to Shankar's post above regarding the top-level trim.

On the used car part, unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of waiting, I'm sure that a good used car fitting more of my criteria would be available. However, I am in need of instant gratification because managing with one car in the family (my wife works + my son needs to be ferried around) is becoming very painful.
BackInTheFold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 17:28   #43
Team-BHP Support
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 11,629
Thanked: 8,749 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Let me add another car into the ring - The current Skoda Superb Ambition diesel. Proven mechanicals, there might be some in stock with attractive discounts. You could also consider the petrol manuals also
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 18:09   #44
Distinguished - BHPian
 
vb-san's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: S'pore/Thrissur
Posts: 4,524
Thanked: 3,292 Times
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The S60 is CRAMPED at the back! The diesel FWD is hardly a handler and ride quality is far away from the segment best. That 5-cylinder motor isn't high-rpm friendly and the AT feels dimwitted in certain conditions. The S60 is the most mediocre luxury car out there, unless you talk of the petrol T6.
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsyde View Post
Actually I was talking about the S60 diesel.
Add on to what GTO mentioned, the new S60 falls into an entirely different price range. I believe the base Kinetic will easily go into 35 lakhs+ in Bangalore – already into the BMW 320d range.


Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I'm leaning towards the Jetta Comfortline at this point.
This (or the Highline MT) indeed looks like the ideal option. But I would still suggest to wait for the updates coming through in the Auto Expo.
vb-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th January 2014, 18:20   #45
Distinguished - BHPian
 
shankar.balan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: BLR
Posts: 8,006
Thanked: 5,148 Times
Infractions: 0/2 (9)
Default Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
. All the alphabet soup that they can throw at me is must-have (ABS, ESP etc.) along with as many airbags as possible.

To your recommendations, 1 is not possible since there is no inventory. 2 is limited to the 1.8 TSI Octavia Ambition because of the compromised suspension in the TDI. My reservations against the TSI are above in response to Santosh's post.

The debate is on 3 since the highest end Jetta MT has little to offer over the mid-level variant.

I'm leaning towards the Jetta Comfortline at this point.

Thanks. See my response to Shankar's post above regarding the top-level trim.

On the used car part, unfortunately, I do not have the luxury of waiting, I'm sure that a good used car fitting more of my criteria would be available. However, I am in need of instant gratification because managing with one car in the family (my wife works + my son needs to be ferried around) is becoming very painful.

Ha ha! Alphabet soup! Yes, I m inclined to agree...bring on the entire alphabet if you so desire, as long as it guarantees the safety of me and mine...

This whole thing led me to think. We (my wife and I) use just one vehicle and really don't need another one at all under normal circs.

However, when that vehicle goes for servicing, then we move straight down from a super-safe vault-like Euro compact to the tender mercies of the local auto-rickshaw! What a contrast!

I guess you would do worse than the brand new Jetta so perhaps you should start the final funnelling process.
shankar.balan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Automatic Quandary - Budget of 10 Lakhs advaitlele Sedans 318 27th May 2016 23:24
New Skoda Rapid or Used Skoda Laura coolboy007 Sedans 19 15th July 2012 11:31
VW Jetta AT or Skoda Laura L&K 2.0 AT EDIT: its The Jetta 1.9 TDi A/T akhilesh51 Sedans 27 14th July 2009 18:20


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 00:42.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks