Team-BHP > What Car? > Sedans
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 17:43   #346
BHPian

Re: D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?

Spent the valentine's day with the "other" valentine. Took my Jetta for the anniversary service to Mysore. Thanks to BITF and iliketurtles, I already knew what I wanted. So before service adviser could open his mouth I told him "I donot want AC disinfectant, fuel filter replacement, wheel alignment....". He was taken by surprise. He infact humbly said that they were never going to do it anyway. With little embarrassment, I left it to them without saying a word. I even added to compensate that "You can do the wash if you think needed though I am not very particular about it".

They embarrassed me further. Gave me a GT TSI to roam around whole Mysore till they get my car ready. To top it up they gave voucher of 25 litres of petrol though I insisted not to take it. But their insistence won over.
After all the fun and a sumptuous lunch at Park Lane, when I came back to pick my car in evening at 5, it was ready. Against an estimate of 14K, the bill was only 9k. I noticed they had washed the car. Rushing up to grab the bill to feel less guilty, I found that they didn't even charge for it :(

Did a test drive. Everything looked OK. Went with so many doubts and as usual returned feeling like a king at Mysore VW dealer. The guys no doubt deserve the best customer satisfaction rating.

Two things, just to ensure I look at both sides of coin, which didnot touch me inside are that they left some greasy spots on my beige interiors and a mild rattle somewhere in the dashboard when I brake from 60 to 0 has surfaced. Wondering if I should take it to Bangalore dealer for a check.

Regarding the car itself, I find the engine sound is more booming now. Is that something I should be worried about? Though no issues with the pick up or anything else in the drive for that matter. Could anyone of you help by saying its all in my mind please?
Attached Thumbnails
D1 Sedan Quandary: VW Jetta, Skoda Octavia or Used Laura?-img_20150216_155332158.jpg  

Sanjubose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 22:30   #347
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Regarding the car itself, I find the engine sound is more booming now. Is that something I should be worried about? Though no issues with the pick up or anything else in the drive for that matter. Could anyone of you help by saying its all in my mind please?
Give it some time and see if you feel the same.

Harsha and the Mysore gang know how to make you feel well taken care of. I had an issue with the steering last week and called Harsha in addition to VW RSA. Both responded in a stellar fashion. A tow truck arrived within 30 minutes. VW RSA authorized transfer of the car to Whitefield VW even though it was further away than Elite.
Harsha called them while I was en route to recommend priority service. I got the issue (loose cable) resolved after a wait, but with zero charges.

I'm glad that we decided to buy our Jettas from VW Mysore Sanjib.

I just bought the extended warranty also from them by the way. Drive safe!
BackInTheFold is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 23:00   #348
BANNED

Quote:
Though no issues with the pick up or anything else in the drive for that matter. Could anyone of you help by saying its all in my mind please?
Let the car clock more miles and see if you notice the same sounds.

Quote:
Went with so many doubts and as usual returned feeling like a king at Mysore VW dealer. The guys no doubt deserve the best customer satisfaction rating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackInTheFold View Post
I'm glad that we decided to buy our Jettas from VW Mysore Sanjib.
IIRC this particular showrooms gets positive reviews from BHPians who have visited them and I remember reading another positive story on the VW Mysore ASC. Which does say that they have a great staff who know what a customer means and what 'customer satisfaction' is!
a4anurag is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2015, 15:12   #349
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Autocar comparo between Jetta diesel DSG & Octavia diesel DSG.

http://www.autocarindia.com/auto-new...-393823.aspx/0
Old 1st June 2015, 15:00   #350
PPS
Senior - BHPian

Shootout between Elantra, Octavia & Jetta by Motorbeam.

http://www.motorbeam.com/2015/05/car...avia-shootout/
Old 19th June 2015, 13:15   #351
BHPian

Hi all,
Was looking for an upgrade to my daily driver which is a Vento. The obvious choices for me are the Octavia and Jetta, cause im hooked to the Germans. Both will be top and diesel DSGs cause it makes most sense in Bangalore traffic. The decision between these two is killing me! Never knew deciding on a new car will be so stressful, so im depending on you guys to help me out! As of now, heart says Jetta but mind says Octy.

Why Jetta:
- Multi link rear suspension (sick of the thuds on my vento). Also, i want a slightly stiffer suspension cause the vento doesn't feel composed under sudden direction changes. Guess the C250 has spoiled me!
- Flappy paddles. Really enjoyed using them on the civic. Must be even better with the DSG.
- The Jetta has brushed aluminum accents in the interiors whereas the Octy has tacky chrome.
- Love the new twin pod instrument cluster.
- Acceptable amounts of beige. The Octy has an overdose of beige.
- To me at least, the Jetta looks lower and wider. Like the stance more than the Octys.
- Don't like the Octys rear. I feel the tail lights could've been a little longer.

Why Octy:
- The Jetta might be too similar to the Vento which i currently drive. Octy MIGHT be a nice change.
- Pulling power is marginally better (?)
- Its going to stay new for longer, whereas the Jetta might get a refresh in the coming years.
- Pano sunroof (not such a big deal for me)
- Loaded with features (kinda matters)

Thats about it. If the Zeal edition is still available with vinayak cars(does anybody know?) i will probably go for that. But as of now, im leaning towards the jetta. The only reason im worried i might regret going for the Jetta is cause of the Octys features.
I have a few questions as well:
- Is the MID of the Octy more advanced than the Jettas?
- Which car has a better sounding music system? The Octys touchscreen is nice but i find it a tad too small. How are the features of the Jettas system?
- Does the Jetta have puddle lights and coming/leaving home lights?
- And finally, when is the new Jetta expected?

Sorry for the ramble, but im in a fix! Thank you!
Old 19th June 2015, 14:56   #352
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suraj25 View Post
i will probably go for that. But as of now, im leaning towards the jetta. The only reason im worried i might regret going for the Jetta is cause of the Octys features.
I have a few questions as well:
- Is the MID of the Octy more advanced than the Jettas?
- Which car has a better sounding music system? The Octys touchscreen is nice but i find it a tad too small. How are the features of the Jettas system?
- Does the Jetta have puddle lights and coming/leaving home lights?
- And finally, when is the new Jetta expected?

Sorry for the ramble, but im in a fix! Thank you!
Unsure if the MID of Octy is advanced than Jetta
Jetta's stock Bosch RCD510 works well unless you are an audiophile
Jetta has puddle lights and coming/leaving home lights - also I found the DRL is much better than the Octy's
The sunroofs are more for show and not really practical for our dusty/weather conditions (although I used it in my early morning runs when I owned the vRS mk1)
I loved the actual leather seats/feel of the Octy over the Jetta's artificial leatherette
With some mods the Octy can be made to look like the drool worthy vRS edition (I always like that)
The multi link rear of Jetta offers far superior ride, handling, comfort and not noisy as the Octy
Jetta offers the DSG with paddles while I dont think the Octy offers it?
The Jetta just got a refresh, so not sure it will be replaced anytime soon
Which ever model you buy - I strongly recommend buying the DSG - I now repent my decision to buy Jetta CL as my in city driving has increased of late
AirWind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 15:03   #353
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi all,
Was looking for an upgrade to my daily driver which is a Vento. The obvious choices for me are the Octavia and Jetta, cause im hooked to the Germans. Both will be top and diesel DSGs cause it makes most sense in Bangalore traffic. The decision between these two is killing me! Never knew deciding on a new car will be so stressful, so im depending on you guys to help me out! As of now, heart says Jetta but mind says Octy.
In this case, my recommendation is to listen to the heart and go with the Jetta. There is nothing much to differentiate between the two, but I feel the Jetta is now even a better package after the recent facelift. I expect the current model to run for another couple of years atleast.

But if that all-black zeal edition is still available, that's one big plus in favour of the Octavia.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th June 2015, 16:09   #354
BHPian

Thanks for the inputs AirWind and vb-san! Will probably go and check the cars out today. I really wish the zeal editions are still available, cause those black interiors and alcantara seats are just drool stuff. Else it will be the Jetta!
Old 20th June 2015, 08:35   #355
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hi all,

Why Jetta:
- Multi link rear suspension (sick of the thuds on my vento). Also, i want a slightly stiffer suspension cause the vento doesn't feel composed under sudden direction changes. Guess the C250 has spoiled me!
- Flappy paddles. Really enjoyed using them on the civic. Must be even better with the DSG.
- Acceptable amounts of beige. The Octy has an overdose of beige.
- Don't like the Octys rear. I feel the tail lights could've been a little longer.

Why Octy:
- The Jetta might be too similar to the Vento which i currently drive. Octy MIGHT be a nice change.

Thats about it. If the Zeal edition is still available with vinayak cars(does anybody know?) i will probably go for that.
New Jetta looks like a mini Passat and also like the new Vento. If your's is the older Vento, Jetta's nose will look different.

AFAIK, Zeal edition is for Petrol Octy? Someone please correct me.

When it comes to Diesel, it is Jetta all the way. Multi link rear suspension and Paddles, more than makes up for the absence of some gizmos..

From your post, I feel that you already know the answer, but you want further assurance. All the best!
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 11:28   #356
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Hi all,
+1 to Chethan and vb-san. If it is Diesel, I would go for the Jetta. If it is Petrol, Octavia 1.8TSi would be my choice.

Make the decision based on what is important to you. If experience behind the wheel is more important, then Jetta with the multi-link suspension and paddle shifts scores over Octavia.

On the other hand, if fresh looks and technology is more important, then Octavia with Sunroof, sophisticated HU with integrated system settings and AFS-II BiXenons scores over the Jetta.

Good luck with the decision
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 12:12   #357
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post

AFAIK, Zeal edition is for Petrol Octy? Someone please correct me.
The Zeal edition was available for both the Petrol and Diesel ones (Ambition & Elegance)
petroguzzler is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 17:24   #358
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroguzzler View Post
The Zeal edition was available for both the Petrol and Diesel ones (Ambition & Elegance)
From a recent phone conversation with a Skoda sales person I came to know that the Zeal edition is currently available only for the Rapid. According to her they stopped production of the Zeal variants for all other models. Don't know if there are stocks left. Also I dunno how much of it is true considering Skoda's aggressive marketing of the Rapid.

On a similar topic, DEAR BHPians, I have been hunting for a long term diesel highway cruiser for ages. The vehicle will be mainly driven by my dad who's 63 with mom riding shotgun. My brother and I do the driving when we're home. We usually have loads of luggage as we regularly make cross- Kerala commutes for week long stays. Had enough of our i20's highway manners and we were planning a highway vehicle for over a year now. Please kindly voice your opinions on the cars I've shortlisted. Any other suggestions are also welcome.

Requirements:
  • Space
  • Economy
  • Relaxing and comfortable for at least 4. Ideally for 5.
  • Reliable as it is going to be with us for over 5 to 8 years.
  • Strong engine
  • High speed stability
  • Need to offer fatigue free ride over long distances. Both mentally and physically.

Initially the budget we had was for the Vento or the Verna. Then slowly it reached till the new Octavia. The only concerns we have with the D1 Germans are long term reliability and ASS concerns. Below I'll list out the cars we have tested.

Vento:
Good engine and driving dynamics. Feels a bit too small. Doesn't feel like a long termer after upgrading from an i20. Didn't like the diesel clatter. Back of the mind feeling that it is a hatchback converted to a sedan. Showing age.

Verna:
Amazingly strong and refined engine. Loads of torque. Well appointed interiors. Nice fit and finish. Designed as a sedan from ground up which shows in its proportions. High window line+ low rear seats means my mom won't see out the window Feels more reliable than the Vento as a long termer.

Linea:
Looks good. Rubbish engine. Just. No.

XUV 500:
Great value. Great engine. Confident ride. Catchy design though a bit too loud. Fuel efficient for the size and power. Comfy. Spacious. Bumpy at slow speeds (tried all the XUVs till date including the 2015 W10). Not looking forward to it owing to reliability concerns. Just cannot get our heads around owning a Mahindra which is prone to niggles for 5 to 10 years. Awkward gearshifts and too heavy a clutch according to father.

Cruze
Monstrous engine. Amazingly refined. Compliant ride. Good looks. Rubbery and nose heavy handling. Lacks rear seat legroom and head room for my tall brother.

Jetta
Lusty motor and driving dynamics. Feels like a bomb shelter when inside. Awe inspiring and convenient DSG. Has a lot of feel good factor which was missing on the other cars. Feels a bit dated. Reliability concerns.

Octavia
Blown away by the looks, both inside and outside. Easier to handle in city than Jetta. Feels lighter and more modern as well. Nice equipment list. Cavernous boot. Ground clearance a bit low for rough Kerala roads, especially with its long wheelbase. Beautifully quick and efficient engine. Confusing and hard to guess attitude of sales reps. ASS CONCERNS! reliability concerns as a long termer. At around 24 Lakhs OTR, Kerala it is not exactly VFM, especially considering how far we have stretched our budget.

Santa Fe
Ticks all our boxes. Arresting presence. Good visibility. Compliant ride. Fabulous motor. Can seat(sort of) 7 with room for luggage to spare.
Too expensive. Though we all loved it inside out, even the base variant costs a whooping 33 Lakhs OTR, Kerala. Funnily the show room price is a reasonable 26 lakhs. Why govt. why!?

Please suggest guys! It'd mean alot. I have been eating my family's brains regarding this. Dad and I love to drive. Do we go with more VFM offerings or follow the heart? If possible mention your experience with the Germans as long termers. I don't want to end up with a C segment sedan (most of them which feel like they lack "substance") and long for something more later. This will be our big car purchase for a long time. Do we go BIG or use more common sense and stick to cheaper options? It's all out there! help!!

Last edited by manson : 20th June 2015 at 18:50. Reason: Please avoid back to back posts by using the edit tab whilst posting within an interval of 20 minutes.
Old 20th June 2015, 18:28   #359
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivek Jayan View Post
Requirements:
  • Space
  • Economy
  • Relaxing and comfortable for at least 4. Ideally for 5.
  • Reliable as it is going to be with us for over 5 to 8 years.
  • Strong engine
  • High speed stability
  • Need to offer fatigue free ride over long distances. Both mentally and physically.
Its not going to easy to find a car that'll meet all the above requirements . You will have to choose your priorities and then take your pick.

With D1 sedans its more about driving pleasure and good dynamics. Spacewise they hardly offer that much more than C segment sedans. But they are great highway cars, with strong engines and sorted ride (most of them) and will certainly be fatigue free to drive over long distances. These sedans are ideally suited for 4 pax. If there is going to be a 5th passenger quite often then a UV or a softroader will be a better option.

If only the Altis came with a better diesel mill, it would fit the bill perfectly!
Santoshbhat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th June 2015, 18:53   #360
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Its not going to easy to find a car that'll meet all the above requirements . You will have to choose your priorities and then take your pick.

With D1 sedans its more about driving pleasure and good dynamics. Spacewise they hardly offer that much more than C segment sedans. These sedans are ideally suited for 4 pax. If there is going to be a 5th passenger quite often then a UV or a softroader will be a better option.

If only the Altis came with a better diesel mill, it would fit the bill perfectly!
Exactly! I know it's a bit of a farcry. If only they got rid of those floor humps. Can you comment on the reliability front of the D1 Germans? Will they be niggle free and stand the test of time if maintained well and driven felicitously?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks