Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 17th August 2006, 18:26   #46
GTS
BHPian

Supremo Baleno: The peeps at Khivraj are ready to give it at 5.6L only if I am a 'corporate doc' it seems! Either I need to work in one of the corporate hospitals or I should be a visiting doc for one of the top Companies they said.

Right now the price stands at 5.68 without freebies

Khivraj: 5.68 Freebie: Sun control film
Kapico: 5.68 (yet to ask for freebie)
Popular: 5.73 Freebie: keyless entry+sun control film
OMS: 5.79 Freebie: Sun control film

I am trying to see if they could give me atleast 5.65L with keyless entry, sun control film but it seems almost improbable!

Last edited by aah78 : 23rd August 2006 at 19:31.
Old 17th August 2006, 19:20   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Right now the price stands at 5.68 without freebies
Just want to understand this .. how much discount does this indicate ?
I mean what is the base OTR price in Chennai ? i.e normal ex-showroom + road tax + regn ?
Old 17th August 2006, 19:50   #48
GTS
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc
Just want to understand this .. how much discount does this indicate ? I mean what is the base OTR price in Chennai ? i.e normal ex-showroom + road tax + regn ?
Shuv,
Sorry, I should've mentioned it clearly. Mea Culpa. The prices are for the Baleno Lxi.
The Ex Showroom Price: 5.75L
OTR : 6.4L
Discount from Maruti: 60K
The rest we need to haggle!
Old 17th August 2006, 21:00   #49
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Rahul: Lol. Thank God Innovas dont come in black, or else someone would be advising to me drive my 'treatment failures' in them. (I know that was some sick humour. Btw, was that a pun? lol)

It had to go this way! After reviewing and re-reviewing a lot of cars, I finally decided to settle on a Baleno! Another back somersault, so this is my second!

Ford Flair: Just an entry level Sedan
Esteem Vxi: The pseudo big car as someone had rightly put it
Fiesta: Boring looks, new vehicle, according to some Ford's A.S.S is costly
Aveo: New Vehicle, GM's service in Chennai is questionable and a Corsa owner begs me not to go in for a GM vehicle in Chennai
Honda City Exi: Too pricey, not worth the bucks, besides Honda has only one dealer in Chennai (Sundaram Motors) and apparently they suck big time.
Fiat Adventure: I dont want to risk my hard earned bucks!

So it is the Baleno all the way! Yaaay!
Black Baleno Lxi, not interested in the climate control thingamajig. I think I will fit some neat alloys, rear spoiler on day 1 and leather interiors, decent ICE within a month of purchasing the car.

BUT, the big thing is: When do I purchase it? I was thinking somewhere around the New Year 2007.

Reason: What the monsoons on here in Chennai (though sporadic rains) and also the Chikangangya fever, Joint pains, chest pains, I have my hands full, so I will have hardly any time to enjoy the purchase of my new vehicle. Around January things 'might' ease up a bit, so....

BUT....will Maruti keep giving the 60k discount till that time? Any idea folks? Your inputs would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance

GTS
My realisation is that the discounts / financing offers are the highest around monsoons since people postpone purchase of their car
Old 18th August 2006, 11:43   #50
GTS
BHPian

Default Update!

The latest quote on the Baleno Lxi:
OTR after all discounts: 5.63L including freebies such as Keyless entry, sun control film, teflon coating, under body paint. Reasonable?
Old 18th August 2006, 19:26   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
OTR after all discounts: 5.63L including freebies such as Keyless entry, sun control film, teflon coating, under body paint. Reasonable?
Iam surprised. Which dealer is offering these discounts? Is the purchase on loan or outright cash?
Old 18th August 2006, 23:21   #52
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
You are effectively getting more than 80K discount. I presume this is not considering any sort of finance discount. If so, sounds good enough to me.
Old 19th August 2006, 14:43   #53
Distinguished - BHPian

Doc, why not try and get a good deal on the Vxi ? IMO, it is a good package - wider wheels, nice alloys, climate control (very useful), power antenna etc etc. Even if it means extending your budget a bit. The steady stream of chikungunya patients would foot the extra, I am sure.
Old 20th August 2006, 19:08   #54
GTS
BHPian

Oops, sorry guys, the 5.63L is only for Corporate Scheme (one has to be in the top 10 or 20 companies, I dont know how that list is drawn up).

Right now for me the best discount that I could get for the Baleno Lxi is: 5.68L with freebies such as under chassis paint, sun control film, teflon coat. NO keyless entry stuff. I am settling for this, will tell the name of the dealer in a day or two. (He's specifically asked me not to reveal this to anyone

Surprised, it is ok if you are surprised...lol. The discounts are standard with all the dealers, none is better than the rest.

Shuv: Yea it sounds good to me too, I think I will settle for this.

SupremoBaleno: Lol, yea the stream of patients with 'Chick' fever might be ok to foot the extra, but then the Vxi is ~90k extra and apart from the climate control and rear view demister everything else can be fitted separately and to my liking. For eg, they fit a Kenwood MP3 player which I wouldnt want, and the stock alloys on the Vxi arent too enticing. I might go in for a 5 spoke 14"ers with either Yokos or Michelin. Someone please advice me on this, coz my driving would be a mixture of city, highway and rural roads. My hamlet down South near the port city of Tuticorin has notoriously bad roads, but then the roads in some parts of Singara Chennai too look that bad! So you see the Lxi can be done up much to my liking and thats why I am going in for it.
Old 24th August 2006, 05:43   #55
GTS
BHPian

Default Its Update time again!

Yesterday I paid up for a black Baleno Lxi from Kapico Maruti (PH Road, Chennai) and expecting to take delivery of the vehicle on Sunday (Ganesha Chadhurthi...auspicious day...).

Thanks a ton to all tbhp-ians for taking the time and trouble to help me out in my purchase. If I hadnt stumbled upon this site, I would've never given the Baleno a second thought. Thanks again for 'opening my eyes'.

I will keep you wonderful folks posted on my progress.

Any Baleno owners or other Good Samaritans who might want to pass me a tip or two, kindly pm me with your valuable suggestions/inputs.
Rgds
GTS
Old 24th August 2006, 10:45   #56
Senior - BHPian

If you want to change to 14" rims... you will also need to change the tyres... used tyres have a bad resaleso would suggest that you talk to couple of tyrewallahs in advance..... changing to the Goodyear EagleNCT 5 185/65 R 14 (Vxi tyres) should cost you close to Rs 1400 or so per tyre in exchange for the 165/80 R 13 Bridgestones that you get with the Baleno Lxi. Dont expect much money for the old rims though...
Plan the exchange of tyres now while you drive the car out of teh showroom... later it may not be possible since tyres once used on the road have a very poor resale.
My suggestion will be not to upsize beyound 185/65 R 14 since the ride quality progressively becomes firmer..and you said that you have to also travel on bad roads at times. the 195/60 R 14s (Next logical upsize) I have seen in Potenza and Goodyear F1 have a noticeably firmer ride than the 185/65R 15 Goodyear Eagle NCT5 that Ihave in my Baleno... the upside is that they have a better grip I guess.. but I am sure I can live with the current level of grip I have... and I am not exactly a sedate driver.

Last edited by Buffetfan : 24th August 2006 at 11:03.
Old 24th August 2006, 10:52   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Yesterday I paid up for a black Baleno Lxi from Kapico Maruti
Congrats. I am sure you will love the Baleno experience. Black needs quite some extra care so as to keep its looks gleaming. But, then it is worth the effort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
If I hadnt stumbled upon this site, I would've never given the Baleno a second thought. Thanks again for 'opening my eyes'.
Well, you are not alone there. Lots of guys have come to this forum without ever hearing of Baleno or Petra or Adventure etc etc and then went on to buy one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTS
Any Baleno owners or other Good Samaritans who might want to pass me a tip or two, kindly pm me with your valuable suggestions/inputs.
Do a proper running-in (the first 1000kms) as per the manual. Get the requisite kms (1000, 5000 and 10000 resp.) on the odo for the 1st three services.
Old 31st August 2006, 09:06   #58
GTS
BHPian

Default Update!

Doctor no longer in emergency!

This post is dedicated to Nitrous who has been of great help and moral support even at times when he was extremely busy and even out of station and has called me and kept in touch. Hats off to you bud. Will meet some time in person (possibly with a box of sweets...lol)

Folks, I took delivery of my spanking new black Baleno Lxi on the 27th (Ganesh Chathurthi) from Kapico Maruti, PH Road, Chennai.

A word about the dealer: Perfect pre sale relations, punctual delivery, and post sales, they've been calling me up to find out if I am happy with the vehicle and promised me all help and assistance. For all the free services they've offered to take the vehicle from my house to their service station. In fact I went to the showroom only to take delivery. Even that was offered to be done at the doorstep, but then I simply cant wait till they arrive

Final Price of the vehicle: 5.68L inclusive of sun control film, under chassis protection/paint, teflon coat.

* I didnt want their sun film, coz they were going to stick an ordinary one. I had it done outside at GP Road for 2k bucks--Olive green medium dark (R20) Autographix film.

* Again, I didnt want the teflon coat either...most say that it is a waste and thats what many members in this forum too feel I think.

* Under chassis paint I have asked them to do it during the first service.

Others:

* Had custom stitched seat covers fixed. Turkey towel material, grey shade. Total cost 1200. Fits the seats snugly with separate provision for rear seat centre armrest. Will go in for Stanley leather later on.

* Neck pillows for some neck support

* Plastic wheel caps/hubs(?)...Cost 550 bucks....will be upgrading to alloys and wider tyres after some time. Dont want to botch up the warranty. Lemme first get acquainted with the service manager and other guys and then will take the plunge. I know that the used tyre wont fetch a decent resale, but then what the heck? 14" alloys with Michelin 195 tyres is what I am planning to fix.

* After market Body cover with a zip for the driver side door and under body strap and elastic at the front and behind. Cost 1000 bucks.

* Elegant Plastic number plates with silver base and Unicorn fonts.

* Keyless entry/Remote lock will be fixed this Sunday. Nitrous has also arranged a guy who said he will come home to have it fixed. Price he has quoted is 3200 bucks, but I havent negotiated yet.

* Fog lamps (front) will be fixed during first service.

* I can live without the rear view spoiler. Dont want those folks drilling a hole in the butt of my black beauty to fix that thingy. Besides, once if the spoiler is fixed, and if it gets damaged, I need to keep changing it every time. So decided against it!

No other mods will be done for the next 3 yrs. Will post pics when I click them.

Driven 250 kms so far, absolutely no issues except for that 'khatak' sound from the front left wheel area, but then, havent I read about that in this forum? Hehe. I dont plan to do anything about it, no tightening of the lower arm bolt, nothing of that. It stays as it is. The sound has come only once.

The tyre pressures were about 34psi, had it lowered to 28psi.

Gear shift is decent, reverse acted up a couple of times but then as one member ( sorry I forgot the name/nick) had suggested--change to another gear, maybe 3 or 4th and then hit reverse, it slots in easily.

The engine sound is kinda high pitched when driving in 2nd, and since I dont have a music system yet, and also the fact that I am straining my ears to hear any possible noises, seems a bit distracting, hope that'll settle after 1k kms.

PS: A patient of mine thought I bought a Merc....Lol...Yea some day I will....who knows, God willing it may be my next car

My next stop---> ICE section to bug Sam, Navin, Gun, LBM, JkDas and a host of other audio whizkids!
Old 31st August 2006, 10:25   #59
BHPian

No offence meant by me here. Just sharing the information I got. There is a mechanic at Popular Hyundai, Cochin who worked with Maruti (same popular dealership) for 13 years. I asked his opinion on Baleno.

According to him, Baleno had excellent cars during the time it was launched. But now especially after the price cut the quality has been compromised. He is saying Baleno has more complaints than the ones which was launched initially.

I suggest any prosepctive Baleno buyers to verify this claim. It'll be good to ask the opinion of persons who are working with Maruti.
Old 31st August 2006, 10:39   #60
Team-BHP Support

Note from mod : Purchase made, thread closed
Closed Thread