Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 13th July 2006, 14:24   #16
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde
This is true..but also I have seen many ladies drive like crazy in an Alto(No discipline,No traffic sense etc.)...Its not directed at yr sis but when Ladies get an Alto they just tend to drive zig zag zoooom whiff.....I face this every now and then while driving and when I try to figure out who the driver is :....whoppieee,its a female !
nitin, maybe they take the Alto advertisement literally "Lets go". Jokes apart, why blame the ladies alone. We as a nation (across cities, towns) are bad drivers without any discipline, traffic sense etc. Some of it is our mistake and the rest lies with the system (or the lack of it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo
I cant gift her that even if she wants it, lol.
I firmly believe that the value of a gift lies not in the money paid for it, but the worth as perceived by the receiver, and how it solves his/her need. You could gift her a costly car, but if it does not hold value for her and is not useful, it would be money down the drain.

I would suggest you ask her if she has any particular car in mind. If yes, get it for her, even if it is above/below your budget. If not, find out what she looks for in her car, and then let us try looking for something that matches the requirements.
Otherwise, it is useless if we guys discuss cars that we think would be useful for her.

EDIT : Assuming she likes the Alto, how about getting her the same and gifting her other stuff (dress, gold, diamonds, platinum - the list is long when it comes to girls) with the cash you save, which will be close to 2L rupees. Now, that should make her much more happier than just getting a car. With girls, a car is just a means of transportation. Period. Unlike guys, who elevate a combination of metal and plastics to even the level of girlfriend/wife.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 13th July 2006 at 14:34.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 16:23   #17
BHPian

Supreme ,
I agree wit ur idea regardin the value of gift perceived and actual cost!!!

However sometimes these gifts are matter of pride and social status... lol
Cant help it man!!! The society is like tat and it demands....

Regardin the driving habit...

ITs very true.. After being abroad for few months... I am still shocked by the discipline and traffic sense in india...
The four lanes out here have only four lanes of cars, not six lanes witout no space in between car....

I always see a gap inbetween lane in the traffic, the gap is gud enuh to have another lane in between...

Its high time the country had some strict rules and regulation regarding drivin and traffic.

I still wonder wats dICoR Version of Indigo???

Last edited by general_neo : 13th July 2006 at 16:25.
general_neo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 16:31   #18
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno
nitin, maybe they take the Alto advertisement literally "Lets go". Jokes apart, why blame the ladies alone. We as a nation (across cities, towns) are bad drivers without any discipline, traffic sense etc. Some of it is our mistake and the rest lies with the system (or the lack of it).
Supremebaleno,I totally agree with all yr comments...I clearly said,I am not gender biased...but this is what I have observed in Pune..I see many female Alto drivers...its the Fav. amongst IT females as its VFM for them and the discipline tends to decrease as compared to their male counterparts....anyway,lets leave this discussion here..it was just an observation...

One more point we must also consider is that - though it wd be gifted to yr sis,who would be driving it more often ? - is it yr sis or will it also be used by yr in-laws etc...so,its better to have her opinion as well...and try to seceretly find her likes/dislikes...what she's comfy with etc...just a suggestion...
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 16:39   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitinhegde
Supremebaleno, I totally agree with all yr comments...I clearly said, I am not gender biased...
nitin, maybe i was wrong the way I put it. I did not mean that you are biased or anything - i was just making a general statement about the collective Indian driving style.
If at all anyone is biased, that would be me, because I feel that the way men and women are by nature, each has certain attributes which make them good at certain tasks. Driving/riding comes naturally to men (ofcourse there are exceptions in women who do a neat job too). Similarly, there are tasks at which women are better than men.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 16:57   #20
BHPian

General_neo,

You haven't mentioned anything about yr priorities...you have only mentioned yr budget and that you need a Diesel car ? Why Diesel ?

Give us an insight for the daily usage,Mileage expected,perfo reqd.(I guess since its yr sis you want need a car which wd go vroom vroom),comfort,handling, etc..
nitinhegde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 17:21   #21
BHPian

No Vroom Vroom, Hence Diesel!!!
Also, dumb people believe diesel is cheap to maintain since the fuel cost is less!!! LOL!!!
I am not sayin Diesel has more maintanance cost.. cos tats something of the past...

There might be a last min flip towards the petrol, coz final decision isnt made by me.. eventhough i can influence it. (dad talks about a SUV or a jeep like, he wants her to drive big vehicle, or somethin that has higher seating position...(like an SUV)... Another LOL!

I want to know the comfort and maintanace and nagging issues wit the car...
Tats why i was callin for indigo owners..

Ask me about palio, first thing in my mind wud be F.E,
Second wud be the A pillar,
Third wud be the A.S.S
lol!!!
Ask me about the good thing in palio, i wud say
Built like a tank,
comfortable and roomy,
etc...

Expecting something like that from u guys on Indigo since i personally dislike that car... hehh
Old 13th July 2006, 19:01   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by general_neo
Expecting something like that from u guys on Indigo since i personally dislike that car... hehh
Dont own an Indigo myself, but got one for a cousin last year as a wedding gift

Pros:
Huge amounts of space.
She has hardly spent anything on maintenance.
Excellent ride comfort, especially rear-seat.
Interiors (SX) are really good for that price range.
FE comes close to 14-15 kmpl with AC in city

Cons:
Build quality not great - A/C radiator had to be replaced within a year, ditto for some other electrical stuff i dont exactly which.
Gearshift is a bit notchy, though loads better than indica.
Engine has a large turbo-lag.
Looks a bit odd - marina looks a lot better.
goldie_malhotra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 19:05   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

If you stretch your budget a little bit you could get the Accent Crdi instead or even better the Viva Crdi which is more compact hence better for you sister. The Crdi engines are really good and overall the car is more upmarket compared to the others suggested here. I think its well worth the extra money you pay.
Sahil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2006, 20:33   #24
BHPian

goldie, that was helpful,
Agree wit the shape bein odd...
Since these parts are under warranty my best guess wud be, ur cousin got it replaced free of cost...
Wonder how the AC condensor can go bye bye in a year...
I banged my palio at low speed before i left india.. the ac condensor is bend like an arc and not yet fixed.. even now therez no leak or issue wit the ac or the condensor. It works fine...
Didn expect a huge finishin quality from tata though...

Have seen Crdi's in action and heard rave reviews... also heard about the injector issues over 50K kms.... But is the viva crdi being produced still..
And the accent in india, is it the new look 06 version??
i see these cars over here!!
Old 13th July 2006, 21:34   #25
Senior - BHPian

Seems you are in serious trouble... You are not left with many options in Diesel with 5 L budget... Within your reach are:

1. Indica Turbo
2. Indigo Turbo
3. Marina
4. Palio D

As far Diesel goes these are the options you have right now.. You have Palio so I dont think you will again for the same.. Rest are TATA product and quality will be the question with them. . In these TATA product I would choose for Marina. I find Marina more dribable than Indigo. Looks good compared with Indigo. Black marina really looks nice.. So my vote will go to Marina and then followe dby Indica turbo.

If gift is not a surprise for her then ask her to test drive all 3 TATA vehicles and let her decide.. If it happens to be a surprise then I would go with Marina.. BTW I would like to have a brother like you .

Cheers
Palio 1.2 Sport/ 13 KMPL/ AND IT ROCKS !!!
neoonwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2006, 21:12   #26
BHPian

It wont be a surprise and hence i will get her to do a test drive.
I cant go for a stationwagon/estate.
Hence lets look at Indigo

I see load of variants.

GLE, GLS, GLX, LS, LX, GSX, SX
Powersteering is a must!

99% I will go for SX which is top of the line and around 5.99 ex showroom price.
Is it worth it or is there something else that comes close, i mean another brand, like Accent Crdi or the likes!

Thankx for the help so far guys...

Last edited by general_neo : 14th July 2006 at 21:13.
Old 14th July 2006, 21:57   #27
BHPian

Guys wat about autotransmission!!!
Which cars comes wit these. Petrol and diesel!!
I know santro has a autoversion!
Old 14th July 2006, 21:57   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey Neo,

why not try something retro? something out of the blue?

If you are thinking about the Indigo sx, then how about the Avigo? this one has won only praises at the last autoexpo it was introduced.

Its more spacious, looks a masterpiece, weighs lighter at 1104kgs, still robustly built, 15" alloys, power steering, leather seats, rear reading lamp, cng/diesel options, similar turning radius to a corolla and looks good

All in all a completely different car than the ol amby and is completely loaded.

http://www.hmambassador.com/avigo/index.asp
http://www.hmambassador.com/calculator.asp
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 16:50   #29
BHPian

Default Viva crdi

If you're willing to go upto a Indigo SX at 6 lakhs ex-showroom, why not stretch it up to a Accent Viva CRDi at around 6.5L?
I guess you'd need to firm up on your budget a bit.. The 5-7.5 lakh bracket has quite a few options:

- Safari Dicor(base model)
- Fiesta TDCi
- Accent Viva
- Sumo victa
- Bolero

If I were you, I'd take a hard look at the Viva CRDi, before plunking down 6.5L for the SX. With the current Accent being phased out, you might even get a nice discount.

And why the Diesel craze? A CNG/LPG-kit might offer similar savings on fuel. I'd suggest getting a petrol-car, and let her decide if her daily driving demands a CNG-kit. Your options increase considerably if petrol vehicles are included.

Auto tranny - I guess there's WagonR, Santro and Esteem. Cant think of any other model in this price range.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2006, 19:56   #30
BHPian

Thanx man tat was indeed helpful!!!!
5 L bcoz i didn wanna go on auto loan....
Lets see wat shes gonna decide!