Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which compact sedan would you choose?
Tata Zest 366 64.89%
Maruti Dzire 74 13.12%
Honda Amaze 60 10.64%
Hyundai Xcent 64 11.35%
Voters: 564. You may not vote on this poll

Old 16th December 2014, 21:51   #136
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldie_malhotra View Post

Completely agree on the diesel AT. But, just curious, I don't know if the segment was really waiting for it. Why haven't the other 3 bothered to launch one despite having a petrol AT option.
Cost of AT + diesel heart won't be good to people's pocket for the initial sales to begin with.

Until the recent introduction of AMT, the Auto transmission segment was NIL!

Now when people are responding and waiting to buy the cars equipped with AMT, it is lack of production capacities.

But the major problem I see for AT + Diesel heart is the 'torque'. As told by C_D things will be difficult getting AT/AMT with a diesel heart.

Anurag.
a4anurag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 16:42   #137
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Tata Zest vs Maruti Dzire vs Honda Amaze vs Hyundai Xcent

Test drove three cars last week for my parents. The petrol Zest XT, Xcent S(O), and Amaze SX variants are in consideration because ABS is a a requirement, but the Zest being cheaper the top Petrol still falls within our on-road budget after discounts and offers. Dzire was not considered as ABS is not available in budget, and we aren't really keen on a Maruti again.

Observations are keeping the following considerations in mind, other than budget:

- Car will be chauffeur driven 90% of the time
- Should seat five in fair comfort for 2+ hour trips, and take a bit of luggage too
- Car will be used in Kerala, winding roads with undulations (not exactly hills, but generally more than city undulations)
- Features are not the top priority, although a bit of bling helps with "positioning"
- Boot space is also important, though not as much as comfort

Zest
Positives:
- Comfort
- Interior Space
- Suspension
- Looks (especially in Blue)
- Drivability (Engine)
- Insulation from external sounds, esp suspension and road noise
- Price
- Warranty + Offers (For this month)

Neutral:
- Features
- Quality of materials

Negatives:
- Tata (Perception, not mine)
- Boot space (smallest of the three)
- Engine is the loudest of the three
- Drivability (Clutch - Difficult to find the point at which it engages, probably a setting issue with the TD car)
- TD car had LOUD squeaks and groans from the rear suspension (sounded like an ungreased hinge) that could only be heard from the outside (getting in and out of the car)

Amaze:
Positives:
- Fit and finish (interiors)
- Quality of materials
- Engine!
- Drivability (overall)
- Comfort

Neutral:
- Suspension
- Features
- Boot space
- Interior Space

Negatives:
- AC controls (the deserve special mention)
- Price

Xcent
Positives:
- Features
- Fit and finish
- Quality of materials
- Boot space (largest of the three)

Neutral:
- Price
- Interior Space
- Drivability (overall)
- Engine

Negatives:
- Comfort
- Suspension

The Xcent and Zest had both done around 8k kms, and were in good condition (other than the noisy rear suspension of the Zest, which couldn’t be heard inside the vehicle though), and the Amaze was brand new (without the TD Vehicle stickering that the Zest and Amaze had on). I believed the sales person when he said that this was a new TD vehicle, and that they are replaced every year.

Everything is true as per the official reviews, however I’m surprised at the massive difference in the suspension/comfort of these three vehicles, and I’m not sure if the reviews call this out clearly enough.

The Zest has a good engine, but doesn’t like to be revved. For some reason the clutch was set to engage quite high in the release travel range, and I stalled her the most. On the move though there are no problems, and she can be driven almost like an SUV without much consideration of potholes or speed breakers. Comfort is excellent due to good seats (especially the front ones), and nothing much heard or felt inside the car. BLR members will know the roads in the Kaggadasapura area - the number of speed breakers and potholes is quite extraordinary, but there are good stretches within DRDO Phase I and near Bagmane tech park. This was the first car driven, and comfort-wise was immediately the one to beat. Special mention that Tata sales got in touch with me the day after I booked a TD online, arrived on time, with a salesperson and driver that were well informed of the vehicle and its features, and were polite and courteous as well. The suspension deserves special mention for having a long travel range, and being pliant without being wallowy at city speeds. The steering is light but has some feel though no feedback. Gear shifts are long, though surprisingly not notchy or rubbery at all.

Hyundai called the day after I booked the TD, and the car arrived on time too. This is NOT a comfortable car for the kind of roads that it will travel on frequently. It has a short travel suspension, and even when descending from small speed breakers (sharpish ones, most common my area) the rear suspension bottoms out, sending the jolt through to the passengers. Bumps are transmitted to passengers as well, and only smallish potholes are managed well. The suspension is quite quiet though. This is with three people in the car as Hyundai’s salespeople apparently also drive the cars to TD? The steering also has an artificial stiffness to it when one attempts to steer. At just off centre (trying to keep a straight line with minor adjustments type of use-case) in either direction it is ok, but the moment one attempts to steer there is an electronic brake like feeling (like when pedalling on one of those electronic cycles at the gym) which does nothing for feel, and there is no feedback either. Very weird, and off-putting. Anyway, the main thing is the suspension that put me off completely.

Honda called two days after I registered for the TD, and asked me to go to the nearest dealership for a TD. Putting my ego aside, I arrived at Whitefield Honda and was taken for the TD by a mildly supercilious sales person who didn’t feel the need to explain any features. Good thing there aren’t many. Contrary to expectations, the interiors of the Amaze are very good quality except for the wiper/light stalks that have an unfinished edge that can be felt while operating them. If the bland interiors were a (theoretical) put-off, they weren’t an issue now. The AC switches are lousy to look at, but that’s again not really an issue. The engine is bliss. Beautiful is the only way to describe it. Even though the gear shift throw is a bit long and slightly rubbery (new car?), the extraordinarily short clutch which was perfectly calibrated ensured that I didn’t stall this one. I did over-rev the Zest a few times, and stall both it and the Xcent, and had put it down to being used to a more torquey engine. The Amaze suspension is in between the Xcent and Zest, but is definitely acceptable. It does not have the travel of the Zests, but is well damped, and you don’t hear much inside even though I’ve read of the lack of cladding in the wheel wells. I drove this in a circle around Whitefield Honda, going from the ORR through B Narayanpura (or was it A?) and back along Whitefield road to the showroom. Roads vary from good to the typical sharp speed-breakers with a lot of potholes and patches, which is similar to the Zest/Xcent TD in my area. I almost didn't notice the steering, which is good because it didn't stand out as a negative at all. I didn't especially search for feel, because it isn't really a priority for this purchase.

Overall the standing is as follows:

1. Amaze SX - Provided I can scrape together the difference of around 90k as there are NO offers on the Amaze. FE is also reportedly far better, though the shorter 5k service interval is a potential negative
2. Zest XT or XMA - Depending on the volume of offers and the exchange quoted on the existing hatch (1999 Zen Lx). FE and A.S.S. are the major concerns, but the standard warranty, low initial price, subsidised 4th year Gold service plan, and longer gap between services (10k) along with the best passenger comfort of the three have kept the Zest in the race.

Xcent is not being considered any longer because the suspension is just not suited to my main requirement. Please note again that these are my views and are based on the priorities that I have in mind as it is going to be my parent’s car. The big plus for the Amaze (even though the service intervals are shorter) is the peace of mind one has with a car that just runs well, without niggles to spoil the experience. I know Tata has improved, but my previous experience with an Indica and Indigo has left its scars.

Please note that I've wandered a bit from my stated priorities as far as driving experience goes, but that's just something one can't help as a BHPian. I'll add future posts if there are questions, or if I've forgotten something

Last edited by VeluM : 21st May 2015 at 16:46. Reason: Added points.
VeluM is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st May 2015, 20:35   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

The Zest takes a litte time getting used to due to the nice torque that is available low down. From a pure VFM perspective the Zest makes more sense with the 4 year AMC being available - you literally dont spend a single ruppee on maintenance over 4 years!
Having said that the Honda has a beauty of an engine - however the low cost interiors and paint quality (my experience with detailing cars) will start showing signs after a year or so esp. if your car is parked outside for long periods.
torquecurve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 11:40   #139
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquecurve View Post
From a pure VFM perspective the Zest makes more sense with the 4 year AMC...

Having said that the Honda has a beauty of an engine

Thanks, the AMC is really what makes the Zest a fantastic deal and keeps it in the running. And thanks for the heads up on the Honda paint quality.

I'm taking my parents for a test drive of these two today, and they can decide on their choice.

Since they stay alone, I'm not sure if I should push the Zest on them because I don't want niggles causing them more trouble. The idea is for them to have a reliable, trouble-free, and comfortable car that lasts at least 6 years.

The Zest is fairly new, but historically Tata cars age very quickly. Amaze had been around a while, and even in Bangalore they seem to agree far more gracefully, notwithstanding the poor paint quality.

Anyway, finances may have the final say, so I'm keeping my options open.
VeluM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd May 2015, 12:31   #140
BHPian

We too are in the market for a new petrol car in this segment.

Amaze & Dzire have been ruled out. Zest & Xcent are in the running. We haven;t taken a TD of any of these cars yet, would do that over the next couple of weeks. We would also be checking out the Figo Aspire which will be on display at a mall this weekend. Based on the initial impression, we will decide whether to wait for it or go for an existing option.

Slightly apprehensive of the Zest for the same factors - niggles & quality of service network! Otherwise it looks like a fantastic car, more comfortable than the Xcent, going by the Team BHP reports. The higher stance too would be helpful, as our usage will involve quite a few bad roads.

Another concern with the Xcent is its driving dynamics - not sure how we will find it to drive, coming from a Swift. TD should clear it out.

An unlikely contender which we are considering - Ford Classic Though almost a decade old, it ticks most of the boxes - good boot space, very matured looks (proper sedan like, not a compact sedan jugaad), fun to drive petrol engine. Except its age and concerns of part availability over the next few yers, I really do not see anything going against this car!

Lets see how thing unfold - the quotes by dealers after factoring in discounts, if any, too would be a factor considered while taking the final call.

Last edited by AkMar : 22nd May 2015 at 12:32.
AkMar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2015, 01:01   #141
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkMar View Post
An unlikely contender which we are considering - Ford Classic

I had considered the Classic, but the model with ABS was far out of budget. Same with the Etios, and though I believe Toyota is going to provide ABS as standard, the basic Etios is also just too basic though it is just within our budget.

Anyway, all over as we booked the Zest today. After another round of test derives, the final decision was made, and Revotron XT booked in Sky Grey (dark metallic grey).
VeluM is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th June 2015, 12:15   #142
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Anyway, all over as we booked the Zest today. After another round of test derives, the final decision was made, and Revotron XT booked in Sky Grey (dark metallic grey).
Very good choice, congratulations! This shows that more people are finding it in their short-list even as Zest becomes more popular.
prakash_ajp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th June 2015, 15:41   #143
BHPian

VeluM - You made the right choice. Zest is by far the best compact sedan in the country. In fact, if I was in the market for a CS, Zest would have been my choice, no matter what. Other cars do have their strengths, but Zest, overall ticks all boxes for me as well. Having owned fuss-free Indica DLS V2 since 1999, I can confidently spend money on another TATA.
keeprevving is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st June 2015, 16:25   #144
BHPian

I am looking for a new car to replace my aging Hyundai Santro. My Budget is around 7.5L. The average monthly running will not be more than 1000kms, so obviously Petrol vehicle makes sense.

Currently I am thinking of following:
1. Hyundai Xcent - S(O) - Feature loaded (except for airbags)- Reverse parking sensors, ABS, Alloy Wheels, Steering mounted audio controls, bluetooth etc. On road price (before negotiations) is Rs 7 L. I am sure that the final price will be lower than 6.75L.
Positives: Feature loaded, similar feature loaded Maruti DZire (ZX variant) costs around 80K higher (off course yo get Airbags in that though).

Negatives: Rear seat seems to accommodate 2 people and not 3. Cannot think of any other points.

2. Toyota Etios V: Has airbags, but not ABS. Does not have many features which Xcent offers, that too at around 60 - 70K Rs less.
Positives: Large boot, Toyota service (have got positive feedback on very low maintenance costs), Airbags standard on all variants, can comfortably accommodate 3 in rear seat.
Negatives: V version is not feature loaded (comparing with Xcent), No ABS. The Top end version is out of my budget. Size of the car: This is not a compact sedan - is over 4 meters, need to check if this can fit in my Parking...

3. Dzire: Have not visited the dealer so far, have discussed on phone though.
Positives: Largest selling CS. Maruti service centers are in abundance. Tried and tested model.
Negatives: While some may not agree here, I am finding Maruti to be selling Vx variant at steep price. I am comparing Xcent S(O) version with Dzire VX . Dzire on Road price is close to 6.86L (absolutely no offers) and Xcent is 6.95L (will reduce further by 20 - 30K considering various offers). No Safety features (ABS, Airbags). No feel-good features either (like Bluetooth, Reverse parking sensors, alloys etc).
The boot is smallest in the segment, I think.

4. Zest: Well, Based on whatever I have read here so far, I think I am convinced that if I buy a Tata vehicle, it would be a Diesel. Interestingly, Zest Diesel XM or XMS model will fit it to my budget.
Positives: Cheaper to buy - I will get a Diesel CS at just 50K extra (comparing with Xcent). Has decent back-bench, can easily accommodate 3 adults.
Negatives: Tata vehicles are not known for best ownership experience, though I have received extremely positive feedback from some friends who are die-hard Tata fans.

Any suggestions / advise will be most welcome!!!

PS: I think I will wait for Honda Jazz launch too. If priced rightly, it may sense to buy that (I am not very keen on large boot).
bulletboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th June 2015, 11:27   #145
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulletboy76 View Post

PS: I think I will wait for Honda Jazz launch too. If priced rightly, it may sense to buy that (I am not very keen on large boot).

If this is the case, I suggest you consider the Jazz as well. It is a promising product. Except boot space, it is likely to be better than most of the compact sedans on many fronts, most important being interior space. It would be worth the wait IMHO.

From the options you listed, the Xcent and Zest are front-runners IMHO. We booked an Xcent, and would be getting delivery next week. It was a close call between Zest and Xcent for us. Xcent has a very premium interior., Zest is not too far behind. While otherwise loaded with features, Xcent does miss out on a couple of small but immensely useful features - Distance to Empty reading, FE readings & auto locking doors. I feel the average speed & engine running time displays provided in the MID would not be of any great utility.

Zest too is a competent car. Take your decision after a TD of all the options. Happy shopping, and to keep us posted on your decision
AkMar is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 18:03   #146
BHPian

Had the test drive of following vehicles today:
1. Hyundai Xcent (Petrol)
2. Toyota Liva (P)
3. Etios (P)

Excent: There was nothing to complain about. The feel was good but the ride felt a little bumpy.
The Sales Rep is offering a very good package (to the tune of around 28-30k).
In addition to this, there is exchange bonus of 15k (as I am exchanging my Santro).

Had almost almost decided to go ahead but told the Sales Rep that I will test ride the Etios and then choose and fix.

Liva:
Again, nothing worth complaining (looks dated, but well, that's nothing new).
Liked the drivability; Ride was also well composed.

Etios:
Biggest concern was whether it will fit in my parking; And it did fit.

Took her for 5-6 km ride. The ride was not bumpy at all. In fact by the end of ride, I got inclined towards Etios.

Now the dilemma: whether to save 1lakh and buy a feature loaded Xcent OR
Buy Etios with large boot and better drive quality.

And I think I am already inclining towards second choice!
bulletboy76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th June 2015, 21:11   #147
BHPian

Quote:
OR
Buy Etios with large boot and better drive quality.
If you can live with the interiors, why not? IMHO, the only drawback if this car is it's design.

The Etios has got excellent low end response and FE.

Also, it's the most spacious car in it's price range.

Ride+Space+Low Maintenance=If the package appeals to you, go ahead with the Etios.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 10:43   #148
BHPian

Thanks landcruiser123 !

Just one more point coming to my mind , and I would like the forum's inputs -
How is the resale value of Toyota Etios? I know that A Toyota with Disel Heart would sell in no time, but the question is about Petrol variants here.

I am looking for a car that would serve me for next 8 - 10 years, but for any reason, if I am required to sell it in say - 3 years time, how easy or difficult will it be to sell an Etios Petrol?

I am pretty sure, Xcent will get sold faster than Etios as it is a Hyundai (i.e large after sales network), and would also fetch a better value.
bulletboy76 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 11:59   #149
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks landcruiser123 !

How is the resale value of Toyota Etios? I know that A Toyota with Disel Heart would sell in no time, but the question is about Petrol variants here.

I am looking for a car that would serve me for next 8 - 10 years, but for any reason, if I am required to sell it in say - 3 years time, how easy or difficult will it be to sell an Etios Petrol?

I am pretty sure, Xcent will get sold faster than Etios as it is a Hyundai (i.e large after sales network), and would also fetch a better value.
I had a Petrol Etios VX from July 2011 to September 2013. With ODO around 38,000 kms I sold it to a private buyer for 4.4 lakhs. On road cost in Kerala was 7.75 lakhs. Kerala is a predominantly diesel territory, especially Malappuram district so finding a buyer was tough.

I think resale of any petrol vehicle will be less (petrol vehicles usually depreciate faster compared to their diesel counterparts, irrespective of bagde) than diesel.

I think in 3 years time your vehicle might depreciate 50%. So take your call.

Regardz.
mroptimist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th June 2015, 13:58   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks landcruiser123 !

Hi I just bought in June a 2011 Etios VX for Rs4 lacs. It is 19k run and in very good condition. I may have paid 20k -30k more, as I am also the 3rd owner in the books. But the condition of the car is top notch and the second owner had the car for only 5 months and wanted to sell due to some unavoidable reasons.

Infact it was tough for me to get an Etios petrol. There were none in the market and Toyots U-trust folks told me owners don't part with Etios Petrols easily.
rrsteer is online now   Reply With Quote