Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 13th July 2016, 14:37   #136
BHPian

Default Re: Petrol Sedan in the 10-12L range

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Resale is not an issue, but long term reliability is. How reliable can I expect the Linea to be past 5 or 6 years of age?

Very reliable. Period.

The petrol one has been re-launched at great prices, the TJET, and you could get one. In metro cities, service is not a problem, and normally, parts do not fail. You will not see cases of catastrophic failures, for the petrol at least, on or off the forums.

Honestly, the car itself is fairly old tech (relevant still) and from a mature lineup. Chances of failing are lesser than "new age" cars. All beta test has been done!

Service costs are OKish, and you need yearly services.

I own a punto, almost 5 years now, never ever let me down. Petrol that too.

Vento TSI: expensive, hit or miss with VW?

Did you look into the Hyundai or the Maruti stable? The Verna 1.6 and the Ciaz? Except for the Ciaz no new full sized fun sedan has been launched in the last many years....only notchbacks!

Last edited by lapis_lazuli : 13th July 2016 at 14:40.
lapis_lazuli is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th July 2016, 15:24   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lapis_lazuli View Post

Did you look into the Hyundai or the Maruti stable? The Verna 1.6 and the Ciaz? Except for the Ciaz no new full sized fun sedan has been launched in the last many years....only notchbacks!
Thanks for the information on Fiats!

I have looked at the Verna, we have had a Santro and also own an i10 along with the Getz, and we have good experiences with Hyundai products. The service center here (Neighbourhood Hyundai) is excellent. However, I have heard rumours of a new Verna coming out next year, so we are not sure if we want to go with a model that is near its End of Life

The Ciaz Petrol seems to be quite underpowered for its segment

Last edited by nipcarlover : 13th July 2016 at 15:27.
nipcarlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th July 2016, 15:00   #138
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nipcarlover View Post
Thanks for the information on Fiats!

I have looked at the Verna, we have had a Santro and also own an i10 along with the Getz, and we have good experiences with Hyundai products. The service center here (Neighbourhood Hyundai) is excellent. However, I have heard rumours of a new Verna coming out next year, so we are not sure if we want to go with a model that is near its End of Life

The Ciaz Petrol seems to be quite underpowered for its segment
The new Verna slated to launch 2017 H2, is just a facelift. The powertrain remains the same for both Petrol and diesel.
Minor exterior updates like restyled bumpers, head and tail lamps.

Why dont you test drive the Vento TSI. Its one of the better in its segment currently. Excellent engine+gearbox combo, decent fuel economy.

Thanks
Mitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 16:17   #139
BHPian

Default Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza

Hey everyone !!

This thread seemed to be the perfect fit for my predicament.

I happened to drive my wives' AMT Wagon R quite extensively over the past month or so, ditching my ever reliable Sx4 Diesel, as i had to travel to places which were very congested and parking the big Sx4 was a challenge in these places.

Driving the AMT instantly floored me with the immense convenience factor it offered. Would be sufficient to say that i am not bitten by the Automatic bug. Also, my highway drives & thus mileage has significantly dropped down. I have owned the Sx4 for 4 years now and covered almost 44K Kms on it. A good chunk of those 44K Kms came in the first 3 years and have driven the car for hardly 5-6K Kms in the past year.

As things stand now, my current usage is limited to 900-1000 Kms per month and thus i want to ditch the Diesel for the effervescent petrol

So, my search for our next car started and i briefly flirted with the idea of buying a Pre-Worshipped Elantra, where i was getting a late 2014 model, mileage of 12K for 1.1 million bucks which seemed to be great deal to me. However, wifey has completely ruled out any pre-worshipped cars

I have now taken TD of the following petrol automatics:

1. Elantra - A fabulous looking car, with very good and plush interiors. Adequately powerful engine with great power on tap. Good space on the backseat for my family of 5 and ofcourse the oomph factor (Even if used)

2. City CVT - A very engaging car, but the Honda sales attitude had put me off while buying the Sx4 & is now putting me off too. Also, the SV version does not seem to be much loaded with bells & whistles, while the VX version seems a lakh too much.

3. Ciaz AT - Seemed to be a decent car to drive in the city and with my current usage pattern of rare highway trips, the car seemed to be very good fit for me. Add to that some very good discounts offered, the price for ZXi AT came out to be a very tempting 10.2-10.3 Lakhs. The space in the car is good, however, does not give me the satisfaction to make me fall in love with the car.

4. Vento TSI - Easily the best engine & gearbox of the lot. Pretty much on par with the Elantra as far as the performance is concerned. Space in the car is the least when compared to the above 3, and am still not very convinced with the iffy VW sales and limited service network. The car would be amazing to drive for my daily commute, and i surely will fall in love with the car to buy the Comfortline / Highline TSI (which will cost me around 11.5 / 12.5).

My daily commute is around 25-30 Kms on an average, and office timings usually call for less than peak hour traffic of Delhi. I travel at around 8:15 in the morning & 5:30 in the evening and hence on most days manage to avoid the rush hour.

My requirements in order of preference:

1. Reliable Car
2. Power on tap, as i do manage to get straight roads in my daily commute where i can touch about 80-100 Kmph (Expressways)
3. Liveable mileage (say 10-12 kmpl)
4. Decent enough space to house 5 people.
5. Peace of Mind

Resale value is not a priority for me as i do intend to keep the vehicle for 6-7 yrs & due to this time period, reliability & peace of mind is of utmost importance.

Would appreciate greatly if some pointers can be given from all the helpful people here.

Sorry for the long post

Last edited by Eddy : 17th August 2016 at 18:05. Reason: Extra smiley
Prodigyy is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 17th August 2016, 23:22   #140
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza

Get the Elantra!!

Heat absorbing glass all around and the cooled front seats alone make the car desirable in Dilli's summers

Other things like 6 airbags, space, ease of service, reliability and the current lip smacking discounts are some other reasons to buy this.

I do have second hand experience with the vehicle, as in my aunt owns a petrol automatic since the last 3+ years and the car is driven 5 days a week from south Dilli to her factory beyond Manesar. In the evenings the car again does a return run to Gurgaon.

Thus far the vehicle has undergone routine service only and is as good as new in running and the way the interiors have held up.

In comparison, her son drives his City CVT & his place of work is like a 10kms round trip. The car is again similar in age to the Elantra but the suspension is pathetic and the rear seat comfort is poor. It is just not a fair comparison.

Take advantage of the discounts being given to get rid of the stocks of Elantra as the new one is about to come in any time now. In fact the current/out going Elantra has been removed from the Hyundai web site.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodigyy View Post
I have now taken TD of the following petrol automatics:

1. Elantra - A fabulous looking car, with very good and plush interiors. Adequately powerful engine with great power on tap. Good space on the backseat for my family of 5 and ofcourse the oomph factor (Even if used)

My requirements in order of preference:

1. Reliable Car
2. Power on tap, as i do manage to get straight roads in my daily commute where i can touch about 80-100 Kmph (Expressways)
3. Liveable mileage (say 10-12 kmpl)
4. Decent enough space to house 5 people.
5. Peace of Mind

Resale value is not a priority for me as i do intend to keep the vehicle for 6-7 yrs & due to this time period, reliability & peace of mind is of utmost importance.
khoj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 09:29   #141
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Get the Elantra!!

Heat absorbing glass all around and the cooled front seats alone make the car desirable in Dilli's summers

Other things like 6 airbags, space, ease of service, reliability and the current lip smacking discounts are some other reasons to buy this.
The Elantra being a D segment sedan is truly head & shoulders above the rest of the sedans that i have driven thus far. Buying a new Elantra would be stretching my budget too much. I can at best stretch my budget to a max of 13-13.5L OTR. The old stock of Elantra even with the limited color choice is being offered with a discount of appx. Rs. 2 Lakhs, is still costing me nearly 18L OTR, which is well beyond my pocket unfortunately :(

Wife & family are strictly against the idea of me buying a used Elantra, even though i am getting very good pieces, barely used for 10-15K Kms and a year - two year old.

The Elantra seems to be a no-brainer to me, not so for my family unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
In comparison, her son drives his City CVT & his place of work is like a 10kms round trip. The car is again similar in age to the Elantra but the suspension is pathetic and the rear seat comfort is poor. It is just not a fair comparison.
I've heard Suspension setup of Vento is a bit dicey, but hearing this for the first time for the new City
Prodigyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2016, 16:21   #142
Senior - BHPian

Given reliability is a key criteria for you, would advise you to stay away from the VW/Skoda twins.
Instead, in addition to the options listed by you, do check out the Creta 1.6P A/T which should be middle ground between the Elantra and the City/Ciaz.

Personally - I prefer the Ciaz's suspension over the City's - especially in the city where it is more forgiving on bad roads. Heck - mom found the Toyota Etios more comfortable than the City!

Last edited by lamborghini : 18th August 2016 at 16:22.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 22:19   #143
BHPian

Default Top end sedans vs compact SUV's

Folks I need some help in deciding my next car.

I have 13.5 OTR budget and have following three choices in my mind. Top end- Vento,Rapid(recent facelift) or Mid variant -Creta,Duster

Usage:
>8000 km/year .Family of 4 which includes two toddlers.
95% city drive and couple of long highway drives(~2-4) in a year.

I was initially planning on sedans but when comparing prices I understood that mid variant compact SUV's can also fit in my planned budget.

With that note I wanted to ask this question if you were to spend ~13 Lakhs would you go in for a sedan or SUV ? I know its more of a personal choice but my intention is to get more first hand insights :-) for me to make the best decision.

Thanks in advance.
prashantk007 is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 23:09   #144
BHPian

Default Re: Top end sedans vs compact SUV's

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashantk007 View Post

I have 13.5 OTR budget and have following three choices in my mind. Top end- Vento,Rapid(recent facelift) or Mid variant -Creta,Duster

Usage:

I was initially planning on sedans but when comparing prices I understood that mid variant compact SUV's can also fit in my planned budget.

With that note I wanted to ask this question if you were to spend ~13 Lakhs would you go in for a sedan or SUV ? I know its more of a personal choice but my intention is to get more first hand insights :-) for me to make the best decision.

Thanks in advance.
Creta- If you need a 4-seater with a good ground clearance and slightly higher driving position then Creta it is for you. The 1.6D offers brilliant performance and the 1.6P won't keep you complaining either.

Rapid Diesel- If you need a fun to drive sedan which is decent for 4-adults and is well built. You are lucky if your local Skoda dealer has a good reputation.

Vento- The safe alternative to a Rapid. Rest everything is same.

For me Duster and Terrano are extremely overpriced I would never consider them. Btw Duster/Creta are crossovers and not compact SUV's. If you want something in between the Creta & Rapid/Vento- Scross 1.6 is the answer.
asit.kulkarni93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13th November 2016, 23:18   #145
BHPian

Quote:

I have 13.5 OTR budget

Deciding Between SUV & Sedan is as easy as spotting an Orange in Bunch of Apples.

Let me eloberate it,

Since you are looking at a car in 13 lakh budget & you're current ride being a Hatchback (Presumably), it would make sense to go for a Sedan. Why ?

Because, Sedan feel similar to hatchback, but with bigger Cabin & Boot they also offer superior Driving Experience. The SUV on the other hand offers you more commanding view & gives you confidence to drive on rough roads, potholes etc.

So now, the fact is that you need to spend bit more then 13 lakhs for an SUV/C-SUV.

Take the Duster for Example, The Mid Trim RXL in 85bhp Version costs 13.10 lakhs On Road Bangalore, while the 110bhp costs 14.10 lakhs On Road. While the 110bhp is the pick, you need to make sure that either of the engines satisfies you on Highways & City Drives (Here 110bhp).

Next is the Creta, the 1.4 Base Diesel costs 12.60 lakhs, but is poorly equipped. While the next version (S) costs 14.12 lakhs, while the decntly equipped S+ version costs 15.26 lakhs. That's quite expensive in my books. Also worth mentioning is that this 1.4 CRDi is nowhere as good as 1.6 CRDi, but for that you need to extend you're budget quite a bit (3-5 lakhs). So the SUV's despite being more attractive & practical are lot expensive then Sedans.

In Sedans, all are good, but if you intend to keep the car more then 4-5 years, then choose between Ciaz & City. While Vento & Rapid can be considered if Performance & Driving Dynamics along with Good Build is the requirement.

But, if you want the Dynamics of Sedan, with SUV like Space along with Excellent Engine at a good price (11-13 lakhs), then there is one car for you, it's a Cross between a (S)edan & an (S)UV, i.e Maruti S-Cross

Check it & Test Drive the 1.6 Diesel which is a beast & it should satisfy you IMO
CarguyNish is online now   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 13:12   #146
VMG
BHPian

Why not Ecosport compact SUV?
VMG is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 13:41   #147
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMG View Post
Why not Ecosport compact SUV?
Thank You VMG .

I don't know how I forgot the Ecosport, I am using same car currently. Maybe yesterday late night, Ecosport didn't come to my mind.

Yes, another Excellent car and also well priced. New Updated Engine is better then earlier one.
CarguyNish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th November 2016, 15:18   #148
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Usage:

Thanks in advance.
Honestly, given the road conditions being the way they are today, I would pick up a cross-over (S-Cross, Duster, Creta, etc.).
They command a premium, and provided you aren't an enthusiastic driver who pushes his car - these cross-overs provide a very good ride+handling balance, and can handle poor road conditions as well.

If it helps, I was a total non-believer of this segment, but for majority city driving - we picked up a S-Cross, and my whole perspective has changed - and the S-Cross is our preferred choice for venturing into areas where the roads aren't great.

Pros of sedans over crossovers:
- Better handling and high speed stability
- more value for money
- bigger boot (with seats in place of course)

Pros of crossovers over sedans:
- Better ground clearance
- higher seating better for elderly (though make sure ingress and egress isn't a problem owing to wider door sills that result in people having to take a bigger step to get in - not a problem in the SCross but noticeable on the Duster and Creta)
- practical for those odd days when you're helping someone shift their house
- arguably a better ride quality (S-Cross rides better than Ciaz, Creta than Verna, and the duster... is well just amazing!)
- better visibility

However, and a big however - is that these added pros come at a cost; and a huge cost at that:
- More expensive - therefore less features if you compare a fully loaded sedan to a mid-variant crossover. Typically safety features are first to go, but in this segment the norm is 2 airbags and ABS which is standard on most of the mid-level variants of crossovers.
- lack of Auto gearboxes! As someone who stays in Bangalore, who's commute is 95% within the city; an A/T is highly recommended just for the added stress-free nature (resulting in more energy at the end of the day when you get home from work, less road rage, etc.). Most cross-overs don't come with an auto option in the lower trims (Duster, SCross, etc.), whereas almost all sedans come with automatics - in petrol, if not diesel.
- resale value of petrol crossovers - this is dismal to say the least as people want a diesel SUV.

With all that said and done, I'd recommend the following:
- Ecosport Titanium AT
- Vento/Rapid DSG if you enjoy driving
- Ciaz if you aren't an aggressive driver
- S-Cross if you want something fun
- Creta 1.4 as a jack of all trades, master of none.

Duster/Terrano have horrible A.S.S. as do the VWAG twins (but there is no FTD sedan barring those two unfortunately)
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 15th November 2016, 18:46   #149
BHPian

Quote:

Usage:
Buy the S-Cross. It's a really good crossover at the price. I feel it's substantially better than the Maruti Ciaz and Honda City.

If you're considering an Automatic, the City CVT is a brilliant choice.
landcruiser123 is offline   Reply With Quote