Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 22nd March 2017, 22:22   #151
BHPian

Default Re: My first car

Skip WRV as its basically a Jazz in different avatar. City iVtec is a brilliant choice and my recommendation would be that.

But you can also check out Polo GT TSI for experiencing cutting edge tech like dual clutch gearbox and a turbocharged petrol engine.

In diesel, you can check out Aspire/Figo. Personally don't like the looks but engine is competent.
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 22:34   #152
BHPian

Honda City fits the billing in all possible way. Nothing beats the refinement of a Honda Petrol engine. 1.5 litre is very sweet and the upmarket feeling of Honda is still there. The 2017 city comes with attractive diamond cut alloys with excellent reverse parking camera.

If it's diesel, then the power of Ford's TDCi engine is way above the rest. But, the sore looks of Aspire and sub standard build quality is a big let down.
MDED is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 22:48   #153
BHPian

In case you plan to book the city, I suggest you book before April to avoid the rumoured price hike. You can always cancel if you decide opt for something else. Ive booked the Honda City VMT petrol too.
Content Reactor is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd March 2017, 23:12   #154
BHPian

If a full sized sedan is what you need, then the Honda City is the perfect choice.

If you need a Crossover SUV, then your choice should be the Ford Ecosport. This is also a car that will age well.
samaspire is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 00:23   #155
BHPian

I see the choice boiling down to City V vs S-Cross. Between these 2, I am compelled to give it to the S-Cross. Its a great car to own, good to drive, feature packed and well priced too. You would get some discounts too. And its definitely worth stretching for the 1.6 if you can. Thats a great engine, available to you at a great price.
autorahul is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 01:09   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANewExperience View Post
Hi All,
Brezza (lacked the premium feel)
I was making the same decision exactly one year back and ended up buying Brezza ZDi after all the test drives. Almost bought SCross though but had doubts over its future. Not very premium but just about touching the lower limits of premiumness. Depends on what criteria you use to narrow the choice. I guess it might take forever to decide. Go for an used 1.6 SCross if available, might get a good deal somewhere for around 8-9 lakhs.

Last edited by anycatd : 23rd March 2017 at 01:10.
anycatd is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 23rd March 2017, 10:02   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Brutailer View Post
Skip WRV ...
City iVtec is a brilliant choice
check out Polo GT TSI
check out Aspire/Figo.
I am skipping WRV as there are plenty of better options.
Not really interested in buying another hatch, so Polo GT has to wait for now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Content Reactor View Post
In case you plan to book the city, I suggest you book before April to avoid the rumored price hike. Ive booked the Honda City VMT petrol too.
Congrats on your new car . I am sure that even if I book early, the price at the time of delivery is applicable during billing and not the one quoted during booking. Let me know if it's otherwise. I remember paying nearly 20K extra for my i20 during delivery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by samaspire View Post
the Honda City is the perfect choice.

If you need a Crossover SUV, then your choice should be the Ford Ecosport. This is also a car that will age well.
Ford Ecosport titanium diesel - It is a suggestion I am hearing from almost everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by autorahul View Post
I see the choice boiling down to City V vs S-Cross. Between these 2, I am compelled to give it to the S-Cross. Its a great car to own, good to drive, feature packed and well priced too. You would get some discounts too. And its definitely worth stretching for the 1.6 if you can. Thats a great engine, available to you at a great price.
Quote:
Originally Posted by anycatd View Post
I was making the same decision exactly one year back and ended up buying Brezza ZDi after all the test drives. Almost bought SCross though but had doubts over its future. Not very premium but just about touching the lower limits of premiumness. Depends on what criteria you use to narrow the choice. I guess it might take forever to decide. Go for an used 1.6 SCross if available, might get a good deal somewhere for around 8-9 lakhs.
1.6 S Cross is too pricey for my budget and used car is not an option. But i will be definitely trying out the 1.3 sibling. Brezza has a terrible waiting period - 22weeks+ in my native(Erode).

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDED View Post
Honda City fits the billing

If it's diesel, then the power of Ford's TDCi engine is way above the rest.
Thank you guys. I guess I am still on the right track. City continues to be my first preference. For the second preference though, I have two options now - S Cross 1.3 and Ecosport Diesel.
ANewExperience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 18:14   #158
BHPian

Default Diesel sedan: City ZX vs Vento highline plus DSG

I am looking for a diesel sedan. My budget is limited to 15 lacs so the top models for city and new vento 2017 are shortlisted. I have driven the 2016 vento DSG and that did impressed me. However I am yet to test drive 2017 city diesel. The plus points of Vento for me are 1) DSG automatic 2) better build quality and safety 3) refined diesel. Whereas City diesel has 1) more mileage 2) slightly better space and airy cabin due to sunroof 3) comparatively better reliability and low maintenance. I am looking for 5 to 6 years of ownership. My primary requirements are better handling, safety and reliability on equal weightage. I have a mix usage of highway runs and city drive. I need suggestions on which would be a better choice.

Last edited by automachine : 11th April 2017 at 18:28.
automachine is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 19:37   #159
BHPian

Default Re: Diesel sedan: City ZX vs Vento highline plus DSG

I feel you could include the S-Cross 1.6 as well, if you are already putting in 15 Big ones.

Anyways, Here is my (personal) assessment of the City iDtec
1. Very good in city conditions & fair on the highway.
2. Excellent re-sale value, reliability.
3. Ride is a bit busy. It never really settles down completely unlike the vento.
4. High speed stability especially under braking is a little worse than vento.
5. iDtec is slightly noisy.
6. Direct, predictable steering & Fair handling on the bends.
abhishek46 is offline   (5) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 20:42   #160
BHPian

I am of the opinion that in the 15 lakh sedan segment right now, nothing makes more sense than a pre-owned Jetta.

If you have a budget of 15 Lakhs, why not go the lateral upgrade way into the D segment second hand market and pick up a less than 2 year old (still in warranty, extendable to 4 years) VW Jetta (TDI AT) which is from a segment above and will be more bang for buck than either City or Vento, not to mention that Jetta powertrain being more reliable than Vento.

But, saying the above makes sense only if you can find a good example which will be hard to come by and you have to be prepared to search in the used market for at least a couple of months.
sidhu_hs is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2017, 23:42   #161
BHPian

Go for the Vento hands down. It is the superior product in comparison with iDtec. Bring iVtec into the equation and it's a lot complicated. But since you want a diesel, it's fairly simple.

And since you'll keep the car for ~5 years, take the extended warranty and go for the DSG.

Also do consider S-Cross. European car like dynamics + High GC + Powerful 1.6 motor + Maruti reliability and A.S.S. = Sweetest deal around.

Last edited by The Brutailer : 11th April 2017 at 23:53.
The Brutailer is offline   (3) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 01:22   #162
BHPian

Let me add to your confusion

First up I guess you should decide whether you want a manual or automatic. If automatic, the choice is clear - Vento.

If manual, it all boils down to your preferences. The Vento is faster, has more sorted dynamics and better interior quality. The City is more comfortable, efficient, reliable and will have lower maintenance costs. The I-DTEC is much improved and the NVH is now comparable to the Vento.

I also suggest having a look at the Ciaz. It's as good as the City diesel at a much lower price point. It misses out on features and the 'H' badge though. Plus the City has a much better backseat, if that's an important factor.

With a budget of 15 lakhs, you can also consider the Creta and the S-Cross 1.6.

Out of all the cars mentioned above, I'd go with the Creta. You'd miss out on equipment since the top variant will be out of your budget, but its a great all rounder.

Last edited by Aaron:) : 12th April 2017 at 01:25.
Aaron:) is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2017, 19:27   #163
BHPian

Default Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidhu_hs View Post
I am of the opinion that in the 15 lakh sedan segment right now, nothing makes more sense than a pre-owned Jetta.
Well the jetta was my original choice and I was willing to stretch my budget for it. However it is discontinued and hence spares could be an issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishek46 View Post
I feel you could include the S-Cross 1.6 as well, if you are already putting in 15 Big ones.
I really like S-cross, however a bigger boot is a requirement by my better half so no choice there !
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron:) View Post
I also suggest having a look at the Ciaz. It's as good as the City diesel at a much lower price point.
I have driven the ciaz quite a number of times as my in laws have it. Frankly speaking I felt it was underpowered and handling was not as good as vento. It is though value for money as rightly mentioned.
automachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th April 2017, 13:38   #164
BHPian

Default Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & Manza

Hello Folks

I have a 2013 XUV W6 which has run 49K Kms. I also own a Celerio Vx Automatic for Bangalore city runs.

Also to let you all know that, I owned a Ford Fiesta 1.6 Duratec before owning XUV and had used it for 6 yrs and 80K kms. And it was a great drivers car and I have started missing it a lot now.

XUV has been a great car on the highways and I am more or less the fastest car on the highway and is highly comfortable with brilliant front seats, a good engine. 2k rpm, 6th gear 120 kmph - This combination has turned me into a Volvo bus driver - U know what I mean

I am very eager to return back to a good sedan and Elantra 2017 and Octavia 1.4 TSI have been eye catchers to me.

Considering I sell XUV for 11 Lakhs, I can spend a bit more over it to buy a sedan.
My dilemma is should I stretch and buy an Octavia or ELantra.
Or should I settle for a Skoda Rapid DSG or a vento TSI DSG.

I love long drives - have covered Kanyakumari to Chikaldhara on road. Have twin kids of age 5 and they need space. But frankly XUV is no more exiciting to me interms of dynamics and fun factor. Pls suggest.
pramod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th April 2017, 14:29   #165
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pramod View Post
My dilemma is should I stretch and buy an Octavia or ELantra.
Or should I settle for a Skoda Rapid DSG or a vento TSI DSG.

I love long drives - have covered Kanyakumari to Chikaldhara on road. Have twin kids of age 5 and they need space. But frankly XUV is no more exiciting to me interms of dynamics and fun factor. Pls suggest.
In my detailed search where most of the cars were filtered through the sieve, I realized that in the sub 15L range, the options which provide space for young family would negate the fun factor for self and vice-versa. I had the exact same predicament (space vs fun) and ended up buying BRV for family's needs alone. Like you, I too like long drives and before relinquishing sedans/SUV I realized that after some fun part, it would be 'space' that I would need the most during the drives with family on board.

If you intend to use this new car mostly for city drives or you indeed end up choosing fun over space, Iíll vote for Octavia and next Vento TSI.

Cheers.
wangdu is offline   Reply With Quote