Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 13th October 2014, 10:49   #46
BHPian

Default Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento vs L

A very comprehensive comparison. I really appreciate the effort. Well I own a Vento which is old school 1.6L TDI unit. Well it looks like a real plain Jane of the lot. But let me tell you I have not one bit of regret owning it.
Its spartan in comparison to the fully loaded Japanese and Korean competition. It is built like a tank and will cruise on highways and is quite frugal to maintain as well. Its a design thats simple and grows on you. Skoda tried to re-use the same with the Rapid but somehow I see a lot of Vento in it.
Anyway , about your comparison and just some humble suggestions about the cons of the Vento

What you won't:
- Electric power steering. The Vento deserves a pure hydraulic unit---Agreed
- Quite a loud & clattery diesel engine -- Not quite if well maintained
- Below-average after-sales service & support quality --- Not quite. They are OK and have had no bad experience in the past 3 years.
- VW's long-term reliability and ownership costs are unknown ---- I bet you copy-pasted this from GTO's review which was done 4 years ago when this was very valid. Now I think reliability-wise the Vento is good. Ownership costs are fairly low as well or at par with the Japanese and Korean products described best as frugal
ambivalent_98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th October 2014, 18:45   #47
Team-BHP Support

Default Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs Honda City vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento vs L

Note from Mod:

a4anurag has added the Fiesta, Vento and Manza to the comparison

Start here

cya
R
Rehaan is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 01:52   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Considering the Fiesta just got a fresh breath of life and the Rapid now comes with more features and engine/gearbox options, perhaps they ought to have been added to the list as well?

Thorough pictorial comparison otherwise
Quote:
Originally Posted by kadanaJ View Post
@a4anurag

I think there's a mistake in the instrumentation console and steering wheel pictures for the Linea. The consoles in the two don't match up.

Nonetheless, thanks for the detailed comparison. Much appreciated
Quote:
Originally Posted by lalittalwar View Post
Great effort. However, in case of vento, the new version should have been compared and there are some errors in the features of vento. you may need to take a look again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahesh Prasad View Post
Great comparison Anurag . All one needs to compare different cars in one place. Thanks again.

Just an observation though, I guess you have included the pre-facelift vento in the comparison. The current one does offer Dual Airbags and other equipments as standard across in all variants. I feel it would be fair if the current variant is included in this comparison.

Also agree with Ishaan about including the Rapid too in the comparison.

In my opinion, the Ciaz is a decent and competent offering and will sell in decent numbers - given the Maruti reliability and ASS.

Thanks again for a wonderful comparison.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Excellent efforts Anurag.

There are a few changes to the facelifted Vento like the dual-beam headlamps, dual airbags standard on all the models, instrument panel, centre console, alloy wheels etc. I shall be visiting VWs showroom here probably tomorrow afternoon so I shall send you the snaps over mail so you can amend them once the thread is taken back to the Assy. Line. The snaps of the old Vento for comparison with the Ciaz doesnt do it any justice IMO.

The facelifted Rapid could have been a good addition as well but really good job otherwise. Will help a lot of folks who are planning to buy the Ciaz.

EDIT: The facelifted Vento hasn't arrived at the showroom here. My sales manager has agreed to give me a headsup when it comes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
That must have taken some serious effort.
I'm guessing 26 hours.

BTW, I'm just wondering why the Fiesta and Rapid weren't included in the comparison. Is it because you were tired after 26 hours of non-stop work? 'kidding'

The TBhp official review says it is a great driver's car.

Anyways, a BIG Thank You for accumulating all information on ONE page.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssateesh View Post
Thanks first of all for this tremendous effort and detail. Very useful for a new C2 car buyer like me.

I am also interested in fiesta and rapid comparison
Quote:
Originally Posted by shantanumishra View Post
Hey Anurag, I must confess its an excellent writeup.

Pls include the upgraded Ford Fiesta as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoseVijay View Post
Anurag,

Lovely review of each car in comparison with the Ciaz. Really a great effort put in by yourself. Oh yes, I wanted the comparison of Ciaz vs Rapid, Fiesta and Manza as well.
Here all, the Fiesta, Manza and Rapid plus New Vento have been added. A few posts are in the Assembly line and shall be added here soon.

Thanks for your patience and suggestions.

Anurag.
a4anurag is offline   (7) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 07:06   #49
BHPian

Hey Anurag,
Nice comparison.
Now that all other C-segment sedans have been added, the comparison feels complete. The enthusiasts are as always going to love the Fiesta, Vento, Rapid and the Linea T-jet. The Ciaz, City and Verna are the Practical man's choice and the Manza/City are the best for the chauffeured driven folks. The C-segment feels complete as we have powerful, fun to drive and comfortable cars at amazing prices.

Asit
asit.kulkarni93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 21:53   #50
BHPian

Default Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & M

Great efforts buddy. Hats off for pulling it together at one place. This thread be useful for a lot of us considering the C-segment cars.

My Personal opinion of these cars

Verna-

Never really liked the handling, the face-lift version didn't seem to improve any of the shortcomings.

Ciaz-

Looks like the best overall package in this segment. Also its more refined than the city. Great features, if only safety was also given importance.

City-

This was the car we choose first. Good interior space. However, a lot can improve in terms of performance and refinement.

Vento-

An excellent drivers car. Always loved it. The handling is miles ahead compared to the others in the lot. The addition of DSG shall makes things even better.

Rapid-

Will never own/owned a Skoda. Will never drive a Skoda.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 14th October 2014, 23:00   #51
BHPian

Default Re: Pictorial Comparison: Maruti Ciaz vs City, Verna, Vento, Rapid, Linea, Fiesta & M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Great efforts buddy. Hats off for pulling it together at one place. This thread be useful for a lot of us considering the C-segment cars.

My Personal opinion of these cars

Verna-

Never really liked the handling, the face-lift version didn't seem to improve any of the shortcomings.
Reposting my earlier post on Verna's handling

Quote:
Originally Posted by karts View Post
Hey Visaster,

Verna is no longer terrible at high speeds, I have the 2014 Verna which I had bought on July 5th 2014. I have so far clocked 5000 kms, and Hyundai has taken the customer feedback seriously and have tweaked the suspension and the steering feedback.

I had a 1000 km trip last week and I did not find any problem with handling even at 120+ speeds. No unsettled behaviors on uneven surfaces. I can say this confidently because, I had a i20 earlier and have done the same stretch many times and I could really feel a lot of difference in the handling (improved). And the engine is super silent and smooth. Mileage too is great for a 1.6 Crdi engine. I got a mileage of 20 kmpl with AC on all time (Tested with Tankful to Tankful method) and speeds of 110-120 KMPH.

With the ongoing discounts, Verna seems to be very VFM car.

Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
Karts.
karts is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 16th October 2014, 13:24   #52
Senior - BHPian

Nice visuals, a4anurag! Thanks for putting in so much of effort. This really helps people scouting for a new sedan in that segment.

But I think some points have been taken from prior reviews and not updated. For instance, the negatives of the Ford Fiesta lists ' priced higher than competition' in your update. But I believe it is now among the cheapest to buy, apart from the Manza. Further, the rear of the car has been redone, making it look less quirky.

This apart, the Verna comes with an stiffened suspension, per reports. Perhaps we might need to update your points.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 1st November 2014, 04:46   #53
BHPian

After this wonderful pictorial comparison by Anurag.

I found the video review today , just watch this for the sake of exteriors & interiors comparisons as the guy who was hosting in this video is totally lost on IDtec & IVtec.

Cheers,
pdma.

Last edited by pdma : 1st November 2014 at 05:10.
pdma is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 3rd November 2014, 14:43   #54
BHPian

Hi guys,

I have such a pedestrian query for the forum members here that i will probably shoot myself (or might as well wait for a couple of replies).

Now i am in the market to swap my trusted hatchback and since there is always an itch to 'arrive', i would like to levitate myself to a bigger car. And there's no other car that does that than the Storme. Have been ardently following that itch of mine for half a year now.

However, with the launch of the Ciaz, somethings were best put in perspective. For the price of the Storme LX, i get a pretty well equipped Ciaz. Notwithstanding the usual rap of utility, preference etc. etc. that's discussed in the forum, most common men have a very simple equation for car buying - 'get the best for the least'. Unfortunately both the Ciaz and Storme, in this case for me come in the same price bracket.

But this also got me thinking, the Zest XT has all - and read 'all' the features that the Ciaz can give me, other than the obvious bigger size. It has the airbags, the ABS, the swanky little ICE, the projectors, the LEDs, and shamefully enough, the same power output in the engine department. I remember reading countless number of times that a C2 segment car gives us 70-80% of a D segment; the Storme gives us 80% of the Fortuner for half its price.

So by that rule of thumb, doesn't the Zest give us quite a bit of Ciaz. Specifically considering the difference between the Top-end Zest and Ciaz VDI+ is close to 2.5 lakhs.
methecupid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2014, 08:55   #55
BHPian

Methecupid,

I completely agree with the logical comparison that you have made. These were some of the points that I would also take into consideration for an upgrade. But there are a couple of additional points like the brand value( in case you look for an upgrade down the lane ) , service network (Maruti is known for a trusted service relationship than Tata) , and space specially if you are travelling at the rear most of the time, then Maruti and Ciaz make a value for money.
On the other side, zest is more peppier due to the smaller size , offers all the top quality features at a very affordable price and a better build than Ciaz - you will be saving a bomb with this purpose .
karavadi143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 10:29   #56

Default Confused between the Japanese or Korean kid?

Hello Bhpians,

I am planning to buy a new car. Currently i have an Alto LX 2002 model which has served exceptionally well. Till date i haven't had a practical experience of what a breakdown is . I am planning to do a long segment jump from A segment to C2 segment. My monthly mileage is around 1000 kms. To get a fair idea of my usage figures, my Alto has run 62000 kms in a span of 13 years. So i have decided to be a proud petrol- head once again. My contenders are:

1. Hyundai Verna VTVT
2. Honda City i-VTEC

Parameters considered:

1. Engine
2. Ride quality
3. Build quality
4. FE
5. Cost of ownership

I request you all to suggest me with the best car of the lot.
500HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 10:56   #57
BHPian

Default Re: Confused between the Japanese or Korean kid?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500HP View Post
1. Hyundai Verna VTVT
2. Honda City i-VTEC

Parameters considered:

1. Engine
2. Ride quality
3. Build quality
4. FE
5. Cost of ownership

1. Engine: iVTEC without question
2. Ride quality: Slighty better in City, although they are both not amongst the best in this department
3. Build quality: Equally flimsy, though I feel Hyundai has an edge here
4. FE: iVTEC again
5. Cost of ownership: Honda. A lot more reliable, although spares are expensive for both
roy_libran is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 11:10   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 500HP View Post
Hello Bhpians,

I am planning to buy a new car. Currently i have an Alto LX 2002 model which has served exceptionally well. Till date i haven't had a practical experience of what a breakdown is . I am planning to do a long segment jump from A segment to C2 segment. My monthly mileage is around 1000 kms. To get a fair idea of my usage figures, my Alto has run 62000 kms in a span of 13 years. So i have decided to be a proud petrol- head once again. My contenders are:

1. Hyundai Verna VTVT
2. Honda City i-VTEC

Parameters considered:

1. Engine
2. Ride quality
3. Build quality
4. FE
5. Cost of ownership

Dear 500 HP

All your criterias will be fulfilled by the iVtec.
I suggest you can also include the Ciaz in your list considering you are accustomed to the Maruti ASC.

Ciaz cost of ownership will be lower than the City.
Cost of Ownership:

Ciaz<City<Verna.

BTW, if you are not aware, Verna will soon have a facelift so makes sense to hold on a bit further if you are very keen on the Verna
arnabchak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 11:16   #59

Thanks arnabchak,

BTW, any idea of what would be the real world FE figures of the Honda City i-VTEC.
500HP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th January 2015, 11:19   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnabchak View Post
Ciaz cost of ownership will be lower than the City.
Would you kindly care to elaborate?

I own two cars Honda Civic and Suzuki Swift.
My maintenance costs are higher almost double for the Swift compared to Civic for similar service and periods considered (upto 50K service).

Currently Civic is at 1.22 lakhs and Swift on 53K on ODO. Now Civic has taken over in all service costs by 10K.

Please don't go by a perception that Suzuki is cheaper to Own. It is Cheaper to Buy.
laluks is offline   (6) Thanks Reply With Quote