Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which diesel automatic sedan?
Skoda Rapid 109 38.65%
Hyundai Verna 29 10.28%
Volkswagen Vento 144 51.06%
Voters: 282. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31st January 2015, 07:15   #91
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thebibendum View Post
Hello,

I would want to get your expertise in an important decision making for which I am really confused at the moment. I am planning to upgrade my Wagon R.

A few details :

Monthly Driving Distance : 1600 Kms
Budget : 10-11 Lakhs
Expectation : to own for atleast 5 years with no lag in performance.

Questions I am looking to get answered to :-

1. What should I go for ? Petrol/Diesel?
2. Seeing the crazy traffic of Delhi - Gurgaon to and fro, Automatic makes sense. Which one to go for?
3. Which car would make sense?
-I also like Skoda for instance, but heard about their negative maintenance support
-Honda City looks lovely for me, I am confused between VMT petrol or AT (SVMT), but huge waiting time is killing me.
-Haven't Test driven Verna, but heard about the rear seating uncomfortability.
-Ecosport AT sounds good as well, haven't test driven. What do you think?

I would really look for some answers to my muddled thinking at the moment as I feel confused. Frankly speaking, I would have gone and booked the City Petrol but I was shocked to hear such a long waiting. This gave me some amount of time to think about the AT versions due to traffic and also on other models in the same price range.

Thanks.
Just came across this post. You may have already taken a decision. But adding comments if it helps.

With your running and requirement of AT, it would be better to go for diesel. In diesel AT you have Zest AMT,
The rapid vento twins and the Verna. Zest is well within your budget but not a full sedan. Of the other 3 I think the mid variants of all of them will be around your budget. I suggest you wait for the Verna facelift ( there is a rumor it will come with a new 6 speed AT box) and then TD all 3.

If you are ok with petrol then the choice should be between city and the vento tsi dsg. Ecosport may be a little cramped as compared to the sedans and availability of AT is generaly limited.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Devil View Post
Hi all,

I am in similar dilema like many here as to which car to buy amongst these three.
Good reasoning and explanation. Choice totally makes sense. Only surprise is that you found the rapid dsg inferior to the vento TDI dsg. Considering both have the same engine and gear box.
Rajeevraj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st February 2015, 15:31   #92
BHPian

Hey Rajeevraj,
Yes, after driving Rapid i was very disappointed, and was thinking the vento to be similar. But the Vento was brilliant!
I think maybe the rapid wasn't maintained well, as the car they had was bit run out kind of.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2015, 15:35   #93
BHPian

Default Re: Diesel Automatic Showdown: Skoda Rapid vs Hyundai Verna vs VW Vento

Sorry mods for the duplicate post (original in the Vento review thread); re-posting here since this thread seems more apt and hoping to get a response.

I remember reading a post about this a few weeks back, but now for some reason am just unable to find it.

What are the exact differences between the Rapid DSG and the Vento TDI DSG - in the Highline variant?

Some that I know:
  • Boot illumination?
  • Footwell lights
  • Voice commands
  • Flattened sporty steering wheel
  • leather covered gear shift
  • cooled glove box
  • rear AC volume control
  • Foldable ORVM
  • ORVM turn indicators
  • Suspension tuning
  • Handle to adjust the front passenger seat (fore/aft)

Are there any other changes for example in the seat cushion material or leatherette quality. Is the NVH insulation similar for both the cars?

Any other significant item that I am missing?

I have been looking at the Vento TDI DSG HL, but since VW is not giving even an inch of discount, also checked on the Skoda Rapid. And so was wondering what all do I lose in terms of equipment for that difference in money. Of course, the Rapid gains with the project headlamps!
execve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2015, 00:55   #94
BHPian

VW dealer sales in-charge told me to stay away from Skoda as that company is undergoing lot of changes and may shut down in 2 years. As per him lot of Skoda dealers in Delhi have shut down.

Please take this with pinch of salt also anyone else heard this?
heydj is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 17:09   #95
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
VW dealer sales in-charge told me to stay away from Skoda as that company is undergoing lot of changes and may shut down in 2 years. As per him lot of Skoda dealers in Delhi have shut down.
I read in August Autocar edition that Skoda management is trying to sort out the problematic A.S.S and customer complaints but I havent heard anything about this! No offense but I dont think there is any truth in this.

However it was interesting when I would ask each of the sales guys about the others; the Skoda salesperson would tell me that Vento doesnt look as good, Rapid is cheaper, Rapid steering is better; and the VW salesperson would say that Skoda A.S.S is very poor

In any case I have now dropped the Rapid and am very close to booking the Vento!
Old 22nd August 2015, 23:22   #96
BHPian

Hey no offence taken.

Rapid TDI AT is on my list now as via various discount schemes I am getting Vento Highline TSI at almost same price as Rapid Elegance TDI AT and Vento Comfortline TDI.

My daily running is about 60km in very heavy traffic and I am thinking if both Petrol AT and Diesel AT are at same price then I should go for Diesel AT. What do you all think?

As per test drive I did not find Rapid TDI as fast as Vento TSI. Is Vento TDI better to drive than Rapid TDI?
heydj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2015, 23:39   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by heydj View Post
My daily running is about 60km in very heavy traffic and I am thinking if both Petrol AT and Diesel AT are at same price then I should go for Diesel AT. What do you all think?

As per test drive I did not find Rapid TDI as fast as Vento TSI. Is Vento TDI better to drive than Rapid TDI?
I drove the TSI recently (Polo not the Vento due to Test car availability) and it was exhilarating! If one thinks that the TDI DSG is easy to drive, the TSI makes it even more easier with its free-revving nature. But I expect fuel economy to be very poor in BLR traffic.

My monthly run would be around 1000-1200 kms; it is borderline and most might recommend the TSI. But given that I think that my running will increase and also that I don't expect the Petrol / Diesel price gap to reduce; I somehow feel that the TDI is a better bet assuring that I would not be frustrated every time I fill fuel !
Old 9th October 2017, 19:12   #98
BHPian

Default Sedan/ SUV replacement for my Punto

I have been driving my Punto for 7.5 years now and although I am very happy with it, I'm looking for a replacement now. I miss some of the features that the newer cars have, like Touch Screen, Android Auto, Navigation etc.

The biggest reason though, is the Bangalore traffic . My leg hurts after holding the clutch for too long in the traffic every day. And it is only getting worse. So I am looking to get an Automatic Sedan/ SUV with a budget of around 15 lakhs and also get rid of my Punto.

I have looked at a lot of cars and keep coming back to one car, which seem to have almost everything that I need.

First, here are my requirements (in no particular order):
1. Solid Build quality
2. Good steering and suspension
3. Integrated Reverse Parking Camera
4. Good safety features
5. Good Automatic Transmission
6. Android Auto support
7. Decent Ground clearance ( to navigate Bangalore's Potholes, Speedbreakers and in some cases, combos of speed breakers and potholes )
8. Highway riding comfort
9. Hill Hold Control
10. Good Diesel Engine with atleast 110 BHP power (Tired of paying so much for Petrol every month)
11. Decent Boot size

Here are some features that are preferable to have, but maybe I can live without them:
1. ISOfix
2. Sunroof
3. Push Button Start/Stop

So with that in mind, here are all the cars that I have test driven so far and quickly ruled out :

1. Mahindra TUV (The Automatic was horrible. The car used to almost halt everytime the gear changed)
2. Jeep Compass ( Amazing car and this would have been the car to make my go for a manual again, but the Longitude(O) which has most of the features I wanted, was way out of my budget )
3. Old Hyundai Verna ( Scary Steering, Automatic not up to the mark )
4. Honda City ( Diesel out of budget. Petrol felt too loud for some reason and not too impressed with the automatic either, although it was better than some of the other cars )
5. Fiat Linea ( No Automatic. Footwell was very cramped. Diesel lacked the power I needed )
6. Nissan Sunny ( No Diesel Automatic and not enough power )
7. Ford Ecosport ( No Diesel Automatic. Boot not big enough )
8. Toyota Corolla ( Amazing car, but way out of my budget )
9. New Swift Dzire ( Decent car for the budget, but AMT was horrible )
10. Maruti Ciaz ( Good car, but engine not powerful enough and no Diesel Automatic )

So with all of those cars out of the way, there were only a few cars that were in my budget and ticked off most of my requirements.

1. New Hyundai Verna CRDi
2. Skoda Rapid
3. Volkswagen Vento
4. Volkswagen Ameo

To be continued....

Last edited by bblost : 9th October 2017 at 22:14. Reason: Please do not use more than 2 smileys per post.
Newpunter is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 19:46   #99
BHPian

Default Re: Sedan/ SUV replacement for my Punto

So, out of the vehicles that survived the first round, here are my observations:

Hyundai Verna :
Positives :
1. Amazing Engine. Loved the engine response and power
2. Good Automatic transmission (The best one I drove this side of the DSG cars)
3. Decent suspension and build quality
4. Sun roof

Negatives :
1. Scary Steering (I think I'm spoiled by the Punto, so every Hyundai I drive feels scary when it comes to the steering)
2. Missing features in the Diesel Top-end compared to the Petrol. Seriously, what were you thinking Hyundai? You make an amazing car with an amazing engine and give all the good features to the variant with the worse engine
3. No Hill hold control
4. No electronic dimming mirror
5. No rain sensing wipers

I loved the new Verna, but I think Hyundai lost a big opportunity by not launching a top-end diesel automatic. They could have reduced some of the unnecessary features like Sunroof, Push button start etc and added 6 air bags, hill hold control, rain sensing wipers etc.

Volkswagen Ameo
Positives:
1. Amazing DSG gearbox
2. Has almost all the features of the Vento at a way lesser price
3. Great price
4. Decent build quality

Negatives:
1. The rear looks so ugly. I can't get over how boxy it looks compared to the Vento
2. The entertainment unit is tiny compared to the competition

If budget was my only consideration, I think Ameo would be the winner. Except for the boxy looks, I think it has the best gearbox/ engine combination in the price range and it has most of the features I wanted. In the end, I ruled it out because of the boxy looks. I love the way my Punto looks. Even 7 years after I bought it, I am still in love with it. So I didn't want to buy a car now that I felt was ugly from Day 1.

So that leaves just the 2 DSG twins as contenders, which is where I need some advice.

Volkswagen Vento
Positives:
1. Amazing Engine and gearbox
2. Great build quality
3. Good steering and suspension
4. Has almost all the features that I want

Negatives:
1. The tiny screen. Seriously Volkswagen, stop being such a miser and give a bigger screen on atleast the Vento.
2. The Diesel top-end is out of my budget. The salesman suggested that I should go for the Highline variant and get the reverse camera installed separately. Which looks like a decent compromise.
3. It looks so boring. I think the car is a decent looker, but it is completely boring and has looked the same for so long. ( On a different note, if Fiat launches the Linea with the 1.6 Diesel and an automatic gearbox, I think I would be first in line to buy it)
4. Ground clearance is a bit suspect
5. No engine guard ?

Skoda Rapid
Positives:
1. Amazing Engine and gearbox. I'm in love with the gearbox.
2. Good looks. I think the Skoda has done a great job of making the car look decent while sticking to the Skoda design language.
3. Great build quality, suspension and steering.
4. Has almost all the features I want.
5. Is almost within my budget (if I could push it a little bit further )

Negatives:
1. Scary Skoda customer stories. These stories scare me a lot, since this is obviously a very big investment for me and I don't want to experience some of those horrors.
2. No engine guard. The salesman said that they had some kind of protection that protects all the major components, but coming from a Punto that had a huge engine guard, that doesn't seem enough to me. Especially considering that the ground clearance is not that great and I have to navigate some horrendous pot holes on my daily commute.

So this is my current predicament:
Should I go for the Skoda and hope for the best? Or should I opt for the boring option and go for the Vento ( and ignore the small touch screen and lack of Android Auto ). Or should I just save my money and go for the Ameo and ignore the boxy looks?
Or should I go with the safe option and pick the Verna, inspite of the missing features?

I'm confused now, so please help me decide.

Last edited by bblost : 9th October 2017 at 22:09. Reason: Extra Smileys removed. Please note no more than 2 allowed per post.
Newpunter is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 20:37   #100
BHPian

Good luck with this. Seriously!

I have a Palio Stile I bought after waiting endlessly for the Punto, and have to compromise to decide on a sedan to target next. These Fiats are so good in comfort, handling, ride and abuse-handling, classy looks to top it off, it makes any current car other than the Linea T-jet seem like a compromise. Of course, Fiat don't want repeat business (if they ever wanted business in the first place), so it can't be the Linea which feels the same size and sort of car.

I myself want to stick to petrol, and am keeping it lower budget given the compromises; the Platinum Etios petrol was a very good test drive. Of course, it isn't feature-full even compared to the Linea, but costs under 9 lakhs for a pretty big but light car with a nice engine.
yatin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 20:45   #101
BHPian

The DSG gearbox reliability is still a concern and Skoda/VW reputation isn't great either.

The missing features in Verna are not really deal breaker.
The engine and gearbox combination for Verna is great and according to reports handling has improved compared to last gen.

New Verna ticks most of your requirements coupled with reliability and peace of mind that comes with owning a Hyundai car.

Last edited by born_free : 9th October 2017 at 20:46.
born_free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 20:55   #102
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yatin View Post
Good luck with this. Seriously!

I have a Palio Stile I bought after waiting endlessly for the Punto, and have to compromise to decide on a sedan to target next. These Fiats are so good in comfort, handling, ride and abuse-handling, classy looks to top it off, it makes any current car other than the Linea T-jet seem like a compromise. Of course, Fiat don't want repeat business (if they ever wanted business in the first place), so it can't be the Linea which feels the same size and sort of car.
I completely agree with you. I could even compromise on the Diesel restriction and buy the Linea T-Jet, if it came with an automatic. My perfect vehicle would be a Linea with either the Abarth T-Jet or 1.6 MJD and an automatic gearbox. But I think that is not going to happen now :(.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born_free View Post
The DSG gearbox reliability is still a concern and Skoda/VW reputation isn't great either.

New Verna ticks most of your requirements coupled with reliability and peace of mind that comes with owning a Hyundai car.
I agree and I came very close to booking a Verna. But I can't get over the fact that the costlier diesel top variant gets lesser features than the cheaper petrol top end ( 2 airbags vs 6, no leather seats, no push button start, no ventilated seats etc. ). I think Hyundai is missing an opportunity here. If they had launched a proper Diesel top-end, I would probably have extended my budget a bit and settled for the Verna.
I think the perfect car would be the Skoda DSG gearbox, looks and build quality with the Hyundai engine and service + reliability .
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 21:35   #103
BHPian

I'm too in a very similar situation, been driving a Punto 1.2 since 7+ years now and seems the upgrade bug is starting to bite. There's no real 'need' to upgrade per se, other than the hunger for more power, an auto box, updated interiors and creature comforts. My daily commute is now 60 kms.

I test drove the Rapid, the new Verna and the Nexon. Rapid is definitely compelling but is starting to show its age. The Verna was the most impressive of the lot.

The diesel auto was such fun, the car felt easier to drive in city than my Punto, masking its size beautifully, at the same time was good fun to drive. I had the exact same thoughts as you about the lack of Diesel Auto top end version and had even mentioned this in the feedback form. Any chance Hyundai might listen to the demand and launch the CRDI SX(O) AT?

Nexon is another car with great value, the AMT version is expected in the coming months. If it launches in the Diesel top end trim, it can be a very good value proposition.
arun687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 21:48   #104
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arun687 View Post
I'm too in a very similar situation, been driving a Punto 1.2 since 7+ years now and seems the upgrade bug is starting to bite. There's no real 'need' to upgrade per se, other than the hunger for more power, an auto box, updated interiors and creature comforts. My daily commute is now 60 kms.
Looks like we bought the same car around the same time .
I feel that I can continue with my Punto for another 2 years maybe. I just recently changed my clutch plate and the car feels like a new car now . But I miss many of the features that newer cars have. There is no way to connect my phone to the ICE and play songs from my mobile. I have a Play music subscription, but I cannot use it in my car because of this. I have to either listen to the FM radio, or play songs on ancient CDs. I wish there was some way to get the newer Touchscreen device from the Punto Evo onto the older one.

Also, I have to switch off the A/C everytime I want to overtake someone. I had even considered replacing my current Punto with the Abarth Punto or the Urban Cross powered by Abarth. I checked these cars out when I took my car for servicing and I found the interiors to be very good and modern. But I can't justify spending another 10-12 lakhs on exchanging an old Punto for a new one.
Newpunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th October 2017, 21:58   #105
BHPian

Vento Highline plus now comes with Android auto and Apple car play. Not to mention the DRLs and LED headlamps. If you haven't, try the TSI though it is a petrol.

Last edited by Rehaan : 10th October 2017 at 12:04. Reason: Fixing quotation mark (seems to be a recent issue with the iOS app).
prabhuferrari is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote