Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 6th August 2006, 13:02   #1

Default Need Advice to Buy a Car

Hi Guys

I have a component of my salalry for which i can buy a car. The ex showroom cost Mumbai for me is 5.5 Lacks.

Need advice which car should i buy.

1. Aveo
2. Baleno
3. Accent
4. Fiesta
5. Viva CRDi

Any other car which i may have missed ......

Please help me
ozsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 13:27   #2
BHPian

maybe if you put in a lakh more on EMI you can manage Lancer CNG or Optra CNG..Performance machines, and save on fuel costs as well
wolfinstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th August 2006, 13:40   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

dude, welcome to Team-bhp.

Do search as we have many threads by guys with the same decision problem. The first thing you haev to decide if you want a diesel or a petrol one. Then a hatchback or a sedan. Then comfort/performance/A.S.S./resale value etc.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 18:13   #4
Senior - BHPian

close ur eyes & take the baleno for superior everything...the rest of the cars do not match up, except for cosmetic value

cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 18:48   #5
Senior - BHPian

Welcome to the forum. Please write down on the below aspects for better guidance

Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations
Average distance traveled per month
Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc)
Chauffer driven / self driven
Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family
Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort)
How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you)
Surprise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th August 2006, 21:54   #6
Senior - BHPian

from the basic criteria you have put down I would recommend and aveo or fiesta.

The twins are extremely competitive with fiesta stressing on fun to drive while aveo stressing on looks and comfort.

but put down your requirements in detail and the suggestion may change.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 02:02   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
close ur eyes & take the baleno for superior everything...the rest of the cars do not match up, except for cosmetic value

cheers
what do u mean superior everything only thing superior in a baleno is the engine and that too marginally not that the baleno is a lambho or a ferrari and the other cars stand where they are

Last edited by yogi1771 : 8th August 2006 at 02:08.
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 12:21   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

@ozsome, instead of just listing down a few cars, please take some time to list out the attributes that you are looking out for in your car. After all you are going to spend 6-8L on this, man.

Ask vague questions and you will get vague replies.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 20:45   #9

Thanks Guys ....

Welll here is the story.

I have to buy a car then only will i be able to save on Tax. My car budget is 5.5 ex Showroom Mumbai. I am an owner of Ford Ikon, happy with the car but not happy with the after sales service.

My average driving is 30 KM Powai to Goregaon (In City - Crowded Conditions). Sometimes out of town but not much.

My requirement is to transport me from Home to Office and outings with family. Car should be easily manuverable, parkable (Wify also drives).

Thats it..........

Now please tell me ...........
ozsome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 21:59   #10
BHPian

Hey i would suggest you to go for a Baleno.
caroholic1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th August 2006, 22:22   #11
Senior - BHPian

as I said choices change.

go for a baleno lxi. comes around 5.5, similar performance to an ikon and maruti service. if planning to spend more look at aveo.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 8th August 2006 at 22:24.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 08:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsome

My average driving is 30 KM Powai to Goregaon (In City - Crowded Conditions). Sometimes out of town but not much.

My requirement is to transport me from Home to Office and outings with family. Car should be easily manuverable, parkable (Wify also drives).
Ozsome,

- Baleno is good for those crave performance or FE. The fact remains that it is dated and rear seat comfort is not great.
- Accent is also a dated car and after Verna comes out, will lose its value big time

So, my recommendation would be to go for Aveo or Fiesta. Both have been launched recently and are great cars for home to office drives and occasional familty outings. Go with your family and test drive both the cars and pick the one you like.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 10:15   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozsome
My car budget is 5.5 ex Showroom Mumbai. I am an owner of Ford Ikon, happy with the car but not happy with the after sales service. My average driving is 30 KM Powai to Goregaon (In City - Crowded Conditions). Sometimes out of town but not much. My requirement is to transport me from Home to Office and outings with family. Car should be easily manuverable, parkable (Wify also drives).
Are you going to keep the Ikon or planning to sell it off ?

If you are retaining it, then it might not be required to have another 3-box car and would be more practical to have a hot hatch (Swift, Getz) instead. Also, it would be better in your crowded conditions and also more comfy for your wife to drive. And add to it the safety features (airbags, ABS etc) in the hatches.

If you are selling the Ikon, then you could think on the lines of a sedan, with the Baleno coming in your budget. Apart from its looks and bland interiors, it has everything (good FE, power, ride comfort etc) going for it. Another option is the Accent (though there is the possibility of being replaced by a new version).
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 11:19   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Ozsome,

- Baleno is good for those crave performance or FE. The fact remains that it is dated and rear seat comfort is not great.
- Accent is also a dated car and after Verna comes out, will lose its value big time

So, my recommendation would be to go for Aveo or Fiesta. Both have been launched recently and are great cars for home to office drives and occasional familty outings. Go with your family and test drive both the cars and pick the one you like.
Fully agree with Hondadude, when you have new generation Cars in the market, better to buy the same, test drive Aveo and Fiesta and then decide! Good luck!
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 11:50   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadude
Ozsome,

Thats shocking news to me! I for once thought that the Baleno has the most comfortable rear seat in its segment. But then thats your opinion and i accept it

Cheers
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote