Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 8th August 2006, 22:09   #16
BHPian

Optra 1.6 does not even come with ABS (even as option). Base version of Optra also does not boost of any attractive interiors. Otherwise Optra seems to be a good car, with great suspension and reduced noise inside the cabin. Overall, my vote goes for Aveo 1.6 with ABS !!
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 01:17   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph
HI Folks

I need to decide between these 3 cars
1. OPTRA ELITE
2. AVEO 1.4 LS or 1.6 LT

I know by default the answer will be go with the OPTRA, but the question is.. is it worth the extra money. I feel the AVEO is VFM, but then the dealer started saying things like
- OPTRA has VGIS which AVEO does not have
- OPTRA has some noise reduction tech which AVEO does not
- OPTRA has much better suspension.
- OPTRA is more robust and the clincher
- OPTRA has 3 years free service and free warranty

But i somehow got the feeling that GM is pushing Optra a little too much like they were eager to get rid of stock.. Any ideas ??
--------------------------

Hi Joseph !!

Dont get misleaded ... Aveo 1.4 and 1.6 both have VGIS engines .. infact its written also on its sides near the front tyre arch.

GM is pushing Optra's sales by providing 3 years service and warranty free on Optra .. thats the only difference and yes the segment difference.

With my experience i can say Aveo 1.4 is gud enough and i heard they r offering 20k discount also on Aveo bcoz discounts on Optra are also reflecting on Aveo just to justify the difference between the 2 cars.

Cheers.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 09:22   #18
BHPian

Thanks folks for all the feedback. Suprising that their website does not mention AVEO having a VGIS engine, infact they have left it blank indicating tha AVEO doesnt have VGIS.. going to the showroom this weekend will checkup once more.

Also the dealer here said absolutely no discounts on the AVEO, on the optra no cash discuounts, but can give discounts on accessories.

Regards
Jinu
jinu_joseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th August 2006, 15:50   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinu_joseph
Thanks folks for all the feedback. Suprising that their website does not mention AVEO having a VGIS engine, infact they have left it blank indicating tha AVEO doesnt have VGIS.. going to the showroom this weekend will checkup once more.
Aveo has VGIS engine. You can view the same in the sides.
yeis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 13:55   #20
BHPian

Hey,

I had an Optra till last year. I sold it citing the rising fuel prices and decided to go for a Diesel vehicle.

I can tell you one thing for sure about the Optra, it is a fuel guzzler. Dont believe what they tell you in the showroom about mileage, its all under unrealistic test conditions.
Note: they claim a 22.8 kmpl on the highway (!!)

Plus you have to add a certain additive to the fuel everytime you tank her up. The additive is not expensive, but the reasoning behind it is that the engine requires some level of purity in the fuel or something to that effect. Makes me wonder about the Engine - it was probably never designed for such conditions unlike the Japanese technology which has proven itself o the Indian markets.

Please speak to an Optra owner about mileage before you decide.
srikantans04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th August 2006, 14:09   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by srikantans04
Hey,

I had an Optra till last year. I sold it citing the rising fuel prices and decided to go for a Diesel vehicle.

I can tell you one thing for sure about the Optra, it is a fuel guzzler. Dont believe what they tell you in the showroom about mileage, its all under unrealistic test conditions.
Note: they claim a 22.8 kmpl on the highway (!!)
Hi,

From what I understand from different people and different auto magzines, refined Optra post 2005 models are having decent FE. Did you have a post 2005 Optra?
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th August 2006, 15:31   #22
BHPian

hey ,
i would suggest you for the aveo 1.6.. i got a aveo 1.4 and i feel its underpowered...and 1.6 aveo is a better deal and its shares the same engine of the optra 1.6...
adnan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st August 2006, 20:16   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by adnan
hey ,
i would suggest you for the aveo 1.6.. i got a aveo 1.4 and i feel its underpowered...
Thats a warning bell for me! Adnan how much have you driven your car? Are you done with your first service and is this concern in general or felt in specific situations like overtaking etc.
sumwal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2006, 11:09   #24
Senior - BHPian

1.6 Aveo with ABS/airbags package.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 08:56   #25
BHPian

Optra is a segment up on Aveo, no doubt is better. Optra gets my vote.
grvanand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2006, 19:58   #26
BHPian

What do you get for the extra bucks spent? If you can live without these extras, i would suggest Aveo 1.6. Also, you have an option of ABS+Airbags with Aveo which I am not sure if Optra offers. Please do consider the safety features before deciding the car.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 16:28   #27

My vote goes to Aveo 1.6LT for sheer VFM compared to Optra 1.6. You get same engine, plus options of ABS and Air Bag, which are missing in Optra at much lower price. But for sheer luxury and status, Optra is certainly a notch above.
atulrastogi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th August 2006, 17:03   #28
Senior - BHPian

I had initially suggested Aveo 1.6, but after sitting in both the Cars, I felt Optra very spacious and luxurious compared to the Aveo, which I felt bit cramped, plus they are giving a whopping discount of 40 or 50K, 3 years warranty and buyback offer after 3 years at 40% of ex-showroom price.
Optra is certainly a notch above Aveo. If I had to upgrade now, I would go for the Optra

Last edited by finneyp : 24th August 2006 at 17:07.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th August 2006, 22:08   #29
Senior - BHPian

yup optra is a steal deal as of now..but if u have a peak into the near future..u gotta be carefull of maintainence since it being a chevy...its gona get costly.
danlalan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31st August 2006, 03:49   #30
Senior - BHPian

The Aveo 1.6 and the Opta 1.6 have the same Daewoo 1.6 VGIS engine. The 1.8L engine available in Optra is sourced from Holden Australia. If you are comparing the 1.6 versions..then you will have to take a decision based on looks, luxury, style statement. both are good lookers so looks should not be much of a problem. in my opinion the aveo..being cheaper and newer..should be the better buy!
ashutoshb is online now   Reply With Quote