Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 16th August 2006, 23:02   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
As an option for a highway car costing max 7.5 for 5 people I would look at

chevrolet Aveo. Next gen corsa with space and fiestas comfortable cousin.
Fiat petra(adventure even bettert). I dont know if 5 can seat properly.
Ford Fiesta. The more spirited cousin of Aveo.
Ford Fusion is good for 5 people too with good power.
Mahindra scorpio crde. Handling a suspect, otherwise good.
My father owns a Fiat Adventure and I agree its fun to drive but I find the middle bench seat not too comfortable. Its a bit too short with very little back and under thigh support, probably designed that way so that it could be folded away easily. The ladies in the house dont particularly like the Adventure for long drives, though I enjoy the driving seat. My last resort would be to modify or do up the middle seat and use the Adventure for the trip.
Old 16th August 2006, 23:03   #17
Senior - BHPian

Given the road conditions,given your choices I would say go for the Tata Safari LX after all what you want is a highway car only and for city use you already have a small car.
Old 16th August 2006, 23:06   #18
BHPian

Esteem/baleno would be a good choice as a "highway" petrol car... The accent crdi should do good too...
Old 16th August 2006, 23:07   #19
Senior - BHPian

You could check out DSK toyota and find out any discounts for the G1 innova model.It could be squeezed into your budget otherwise go for safari only.

Curious to know why you did not consider tavera and scorpio.
Old 16th August 2006, 23:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul_intlad
You could check out DSK toyota and find out any discounts for the G1 innova model.It could be squeezed into your budget otherwise go for safari only.

Curious to know why you did not consider tavera and scorpio.
I think the Tavera model with A/C and Power Steering (ex-showroom 7.15 Lakhs) would be more than the cost of the Safari LX (ex-showroom 6.85 Lakhs). Same goes for the Scorpio. Infact Safari was never in my list until the price reduction which makes it sound very tempting
Old 17th August 2006, 03:59   #21
Distinguished - BHPian

Out of the list i would suggest the Fiesta.....whatever people might say, i still believe that Ford is more reliable than a Tata.
A good way to ensure better handling and safety, you should consider putting wider rubber.
About the maintance part, yes the spares of the Ford would be higher than the Tatas, but on the upside I expect the Fiesta to give lesser problems than the Tatas for you to worry about spares. The reason I say this is because i currently have an Endeavour which has done 57,000Km+ in the past 3.5 years with extensive highway use and been used on the worest of roads too but still I havent had to spend a dime more than the servicing cost which are not high either.

Last edited by Sahil : 17th August 2006 at 04:07.
Old 17th August 2006, 04:23   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Also I must add one strong piece of advice: No matter what car you choose, do take the airbag option. Such safety measures are a must when you r planning an extensive highway use.
Old 17th August 2006, 11:12   #23
Senior - BHPian

anybody can give FE figures of the New safari.

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 17th August 2006 at 11:14.
Old 18th August 2006, 15:10   #24
BHPian

How about the Optra Elite 1.6 - I think with the current discounts, it should fit within 7.5L

Superb stability at high speeds, loads of space inside, and ride comfort beyond its class. And the VGIS gives good FE too. And, looks that kill

But, performance is ok, not great, GM A/S/S is not much to talk about.
Old 18th August 2006, 15:15   #25
Senior - BHPian

I would suggest you look at the Safari or the Indigo Marina LX. The Marina makes a lot of sense as a highway cruiser, with Good grun, space and brilliant FE. Plus you would save approx 2L ove rthe Safari!
Old 18th August 2006, 15:27   #26
Senior - BHPian

i wouls strongly suggest an innova g1. overall a very vfm car.
Old 18th August 2006, 19:02   #27
BHPian

Default Fiat Petra Diesel or Fiat Adventure should be the choice

Hi! In my opionion, the following things matter on a highway

1. Safety (How strong is the build of the car)
2. Suspension and Chassis (To give you the glide feel in good as well as typical India Roads)
3. Stability in higher speeds (Now that highways are getting better 120-140kmph is the normal speed)
4. Mileage
5. Easy service on highways
6. Good pick up with a/c on
7. Silent Cabin
8. Storage capabiity of the car

Hence, I recommend FIAT Petra (500 litre boot) or FIAT Adventure (460 litre boot expandable to 1500+ litre double bed boot), as there are hardly any other cars which come close to the following of the FIAT cars
1. Build quality
2. Chassis and Suspension
3. Engine performance
4. Stability on the highways

Only con, I have found so far in the car is the interiors which are not that bad, but they look little dated!

Mileage of FIAT Petra Diesel is about 17-18 on highways @ 2500-3000 RPM (80kmph - 120 kmph)
Highway Mileage of FIAT Petra Petrol is about 15 kmpl (2500-3000 RPM)
Highway Mileage of Fiat Adventure is about 14 kmpl

Of all the above mentioned cars, I will rate Fiat adventure petrol as the best bet unless you are too concerned about mileage above all other factors. Also, it comes at around 6 lacs on road (after all discounts)

I recently bought one Fiat Adventure and took it or a highways drive, its awsome! Incidentally, FIAT has started a 24 hours service facility all across the country and they have issued a booklet along with other documents of the car. Hence, service, may not be as good as Maruti or Hyundai, but will be at par with others (especially on the highways)

Last edited by omar1310 : 18th August 2006 at 19:13.
Old 18th August 2006, 20:33   #28
Senior - BHPian

Innova g1 on road prices in pune city:

Rs 873,155
Old 19th August 2006, 01:39   #29
BHPian

You cant be serious about a Tata Indica. Its a terrible and slow car. Much better (in terms of safety and performance) would be a Getz/Swift/Palio 1.6

Baleno is very nice on the highway. Fiesta is probably better, being a new model, but has no airbags.

The Aveo has airbags, but is not as peppy as the Fiesta.

On a highway you would be doing a lot of high speed driving, in which range most diesels are quite inferior to petrol engines. So unless you're very concerned about the fuel costs or can afford a "nice" diesel like an Octavia, stick to the petrol cars.
Old 19th August 2006, 02:36   #30
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

if ur looking for a highway car ,nothing fits better than a scorpio.its rugged,can go offroading to some extent(4x2 version),has more than adequate space,good highway cruiser and above all is a diesel.and it doesnt hurt to have a big vehicle on indian highwyas as people give u respect on the road .the other alternatives are a scorpio and a tavera.
but if your long trips are once in a year affair,then i would request you consider sedans too so taht you can use them in the city too.in that case i would say go for the fiesta tdci.
Closed Thread