Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Closed Thread

Old 18th August 2006, 10:27   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeis
1. City. Good FE + Less Maintenance + Superb Resale
2. Fiesta. Undoubtedly!
3. City again. VTEC is another name for sport, isn't it?
I think he meant he likes the fiesta in looks, but He can clear it up.

Nhc is a reliable with a good engine but mediocre chassis built for the city and a pricey proposition

Fiesta is vfm and fun to drive but lacks the build quality and image of a honda.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 18th August 2006 at 10:30.
Old 18th August 2006, 10:47   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
Fiesta is vfm and fun to drive but lacks the build quality and image of a honda.
I don't think it lacks the build quality in any way but I agree with you about the Honda "image".
Old 18th August 2006, 11:14   #18
BANNED

Thanks guys... i think i should stick to Fiesta Sxi only now... as i am not planning to sell it in near future... so resale is not a main criteria for me.... Booking this soon... watch out for pictures soon....

Thanks a lot for all the help...
Old 18th August 2006, 11:32   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78
Thanks guys... i think i should stick to Fiesta Sxi only now... as i am not planning to sell it in near future... so resale is not a main criteria for me.... Booking this soon... watch out for pictures soon....

Thanks a lot for all the help...
Wise decision Udit! And don't get deterred too much by the hype about the costly maintenance of a Ford Fiesta, I have a SXI which has covered 9.5k already, the only money I have spent so far is on the Oil & Oil filter change (that too below 1k). You can also try & wangle a free TMP (Total Maintenance Plan) that will make your material & labour costs ZERO for a number of kms (2 years or 30k kms if I'm not mistaken).
Old 18th August 2006, 11:41   #20

Default Go for Honda City, Have a look at elantra

I am from Bangalore. Ford SXI = 8.4 on road, Honda City Vtec = 9.2 on road. I have driven both. Blind choice: City. I have a Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI!!

Have you had a look at Elantra GLS (9.0 on road in Bangalore). Better features and more power than City. 127/137 BHP, I guess Vs City 100 BHP). I have driven a City ZX VTec. It is not a very powerful engine, doesn't drive better than 92 BHP Ford Ikon 1.6... But between Fiesta and City, i will recommend City. You may have a look at elantra.

-Koul

Quote:
Originally Posted by udit78
Guys,

I have almost made up my mind(90%) for Fiesta 1.6 Sxi; but in slight confusion w.r.t. Honda City as my dad says that is more famous and all that (you know fathers right)....

Fiesta 1.6 Sxi costs 7.8L on road... and i think Gxi is even less... but i am really confused ... VTEC i know costs 8.5 L on road... and considering i want power as well in my car... now my question is which is the best buy amongst Ford Fiesta Sxi 1.6/Honda City Gxi (no power in it:( ) / Honda City VTEC...

Is it worth spending 70 K more and go for VTEC over Fiesta 1.6 Sxi...
Old 18th August 2006, 11:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkkoul
II have driven both. Blind choice: City. I have a Ford Ikon 1.6 ZXI!!
No offense meant but what is the relevance of the Ikon 1.6ZXI in the present context? I have both (the Ikon 1.6ZXI & the Fiesta 1.6SXI) & the latter is in a different class altogether so I'm wondering.....
Old 18th August 2006, 12:06   #22

Intention was to tell that I am a Ford user, but am recommending Honda city

Quote:
Originally Posted by suman
No
offense meant but what is the relevance of the Ikon 1.6ZXI in the present context? I have both (the Ikon 1.6ZXI & the Fiesta 1.6SXI) & the latter is in a different class altogether so I'm wondering.....
Old 18th August 2006, 12:49   #23
Senior - BHPian

can you back your statements with valid reasons? I drive a WagonR but I cant give a similar insight on the maruti Alto becuase its a maruti.

But your statements would certainly be more valid than a non-ford user.
Old 18th August 2006, 13:32   #24

I have extensively driven all cars in the discussion in this thread. That is why, I am saying so. Anyway, this is my personal opinion and you do not need to feel good or bad about it or agree to me. I can hate a car which you love or vice versa. For example, I do not like Wagon R

-Rakesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by devarshi84
can you back your statements with valid reasons? I drive a WagonR but I cant give a similar insight on the maruti Alto becuase its a maruti.

But your statements would certainly be more valid than a non-ford user.
Old 18th August 2006, 13:46   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have both (the Ikon 1.6ZXI & the Fiesta 1.6SXI) & the latter is in a different class altogether so I'm wondering.....
I dont agree to the statement that Ikon 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6 are from different classes. From dimensional perspective as well as price perspective. The Ikon if you recall was an earlier Fiesta and this one too is based on the later Fiesta.

But coming back to the After sales support issue, not really sure if this is a stray case in Calcutta, but there aren't much trained mechanics around. Just one or two good ones and its on your luck whether they are asigned your job. For most issues so far the workshop is not first time right.

I too did not have to pay much for my car till now, but am worried about when the extended warranty expires.

One recent case (2-3 weeks) was the ECM fuse blowing out. I have all the necessary e-mails substantiating this, that I had to take the car 4 times to the workshop. 3 times they changed the Fuel Pump! In one instance they kept the car for 4 days to "observe" the fuse blowing out. Lastly they had an improper Float with the Fuel Pump.

Almost at the same time the reversing light switch had conked off. They broke the thing trying to replace it. So to get it off the bent the coolant return pipe, and forgot to bring it back to normal. My car was overheating like crazy on my way back home. Its good that I noticed the coolant return pipe which I freed, and things went back to normal. Negligence is one word for it.

So negligent, incompetent, undertrained are some words, maybe harsh, that comes to my mind when I think about the Ford workshop I deal with.
Old 18th August 2006, 13:48   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have driven a City ZX VTec. It is not a very powerful engine, doesn't drive better than 92 BHP Ford Ikon 1.6
Quote:
... But between Fiesta and City, i will recommend City.
-Koul
Yet the Duratec engine in the Fiesta outperforms the Ikon....the Ikon scores only on the handling...so I'm sure I'm missing out something here
Old 18th August 2006, 13:54   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1100D
I dont agree to the statement that Ikon 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6 are from different classes.
You may not agree but I think they are...each is entitled to his own opinion. By the way, are you mixing up "segment" with "class"? A class apart is what I'm saying...and, price apart as well, the comparison was between an Ikon ZXI & a Fiesta SXI, what is the price differential according to you? (Of course you will have to compare the old prices since the 1.6ZXI is no longer in production).

Also, I think you've mixed up threads, the after sales service discussion and experience sharing is happening on the thread comparing the Palio & Fiesta.........

Last edited by suman : 18th August 2006 at 13:56.
Old 18th August 2006, 13:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

Worse still Ford Workshop lady calls up to ask how my car is running after "service" when the car is sitting at the workshop. Hilarious, but happened twice.

First time it was on my landline and wifey answered the car is in the workshop please drive it yourself for the feedback.

Second time, even I was at the workshop behind this lady, so I asked the lady to hold and gave the phone to the service manager to talk.

On both occasions, the car was not in for "service" but repairs.

Last service (2 year one) I insisted they change the spark plugs, but after getting delivery I noted that they were not changed, sent the car back in, when it came out, I found the washer fluid reservoir was empty!

I greatly love my car but if this isthe service backup I get, do you think I will recommend a car which is going to be attended to at a similar workshop.

My Honda owning friend (although newer) has no such issues, although I am not sure whether he checks out.
Old 18th August 2006, 14:04   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
By the way, are you mixing up "segment" with "class"? A class apart is what I'm saying...
Can you please explain "class" thing according to your definition. To me Ikon 1.6 and Fiesta 1.6 is related the same way as W123 is to the new E-class (w211), but they still belong to the same class.

Quote:
Also, I think you've mixed up threads, the after sales service discussion and experience sharing is happening on the thread comparing the Palio & Fiesta.........
I have not mixed up the threads. I wanted to share this experience so that a potential Ford owner might know what he is faced with. Its better to know upfront rather than crib later. I am not cribbing either, cos sometime soon I am going to post my car buying experience and going by the same situations I might end up buying another Ford, but thats me, as my priorities are different (aligned to the product than Service support).

Last edited by 1100D : 18th August 2006 at 14:05.
Old 18th August 2006, 14:05   #30

I have driven Fiesta SXI and I own Ikon ZXI. Except the price tag and may be leather seats, I do not think there is much difference between the two. May be electric rear mirrors is one diff. They come in Baleno also now. As somebody said, Fiesta is IKON + extra price + few changes here and there - just to increase the overall profitablity for Ford. That is why they stopped Ikon 1.6 and started overmarketing Flair 1.3L. The internal look and feel of SXI Fiesta is not better than lousy! Too many awkward looking controls. Just compare the look and feel of those controls with SKODA, and you know the difference. Ikon ZXI used to cost 6.94 on road in Bangalore till last year. SXI Costs 8.4 odd on the road. I do not think it is worth that extra 1.5 lakh. Some people just do not want to understand this point, But if you want to buy a Fiesta SXI (Petrol), you better buy City VTEC or Elantra GLS. CITY gives you a totally different feel. it is a Japanese car and the resale value doesn't need to be talked about. The only thing which I didn't like too much about VTEC is that I didn't get a great kicky performance from VTEC. May be I had too high expectations from VTEC

Last edited by rkkoul : 18th August 2006 at 14:20.
Closed Thread