Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 19th August 2006, 18:39   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Default Sonata Embera AT vs Skoda Rally Sport

Originally posted by Rambono5. Please guide all replies to him

I had more or less made up my mind to buy a Skoda RS. But now, for some strange reason I have started looking at the Sonata Embera AT. I'd appreciate some advice on which one I should go for. My criteria :

Love petrol cars. FE not an issue. Budget - around 15L in Gurgaon.

Weekdays - chauffer driven. Weekends - I drive myself. And I love going on long drives as well as doing fast & serious highway driving. So I can't figure out the trade-off between rear-seat comfort and driving pleasure.

Others - big time importance to music system in the car. My iPod never leaves me.

Any suggestions?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 18:44   #2
BHPian

its obvious-the skoda anyday if you love to drive.dont think too much about it.
carfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 18:51   #3

Default Thanks but...

Thanks carfreak. I needed some reassurance. The only thing niggling me is the way the back-seat experience of the RS has been damned so consistently. Is it really that bad. I currently have an Ikon 1.6 SXI. Am ok with the back seat legroom. Would the RS be worse than that?
rambono5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 19:13   #4
BANNED

If you're a big guy, I'd say the Sonata, it's more of an all-rounder.

Sitting 5 days a week in the Skoda with your knees up next to your elbows won't be too much fun.

Btw, are you planning aftermarket performance mods? In that case definitely the Skoda.
Boom Shiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 19:18   #5
BHPian

yes,sitting in the rear of the octy will be a poor experience.but on weekend,you can have the blast of your life with the rally sport!!!
Old 19th August 2006, 19:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

If choosing between the two cars, heart would say Skoda but mind would say sonata.

But looking to your requirements, you will be the one sitting on the rear seat for the better part of the week. Sonata wins hands down here. Add to that the rear a/c ducts that are supposedly missing on the RS.

Secondly, while Skoda is extremely powerful and Hyundai is not known to make as much power on road as it does on paper, its extremely powerful too neverthless.

Gadgets are more on skoda such as the sun-roof ( imagine yourself and your other-half in that optra advertisement ) Cruise control though mostly unused in India is present and the notch has its own charm compared to a sedan. Imagine the weekend shopping filling your boot with the seat down.

Twin-exhaust on the sonata while not singing as sweetly as a RS is soothing to the eyes. So is the segment difference.

If you are thinking of keeping the car for a short period of 3-5 years, buy the skoda. For 5+ buy the sonata.

Last edited by devarshi84 : 19th August 2006 at 19:52.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 19:53   #7

So true devarshi. It is a heart vs mind conflict. Is the back seat really so bad?
rambono5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 20:16   #8
BHPian

rambono,i have never sat in the back seat of the rally sport,so i cannot give a really correct judgement.but from what i have read,and from others' experiences,its not that great.the sonata will have better rear seat comfort.
i have driven the RS and believe me i have not driven anything like that before!!!
why dont you check it out yourself.you are the best judge!!
Old 19th August 2006, 20:16   #9
BHPian

Hi Rambono5,

go for the RS you will have the time of your life driving it.

go with the heart man.
amit mohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 21:02   #10
Senior - BHPian

RS is a driver's car. I don't think it's a viable choice for 5-days-a-week rearseat drives.
IMO, your options are:
- read devarshi's post again carefully and bring in other parameters into your purchase - like depreciation as he suggests.
- fire your chauffeur and go for the RS.
sandeepmdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 23:15   #11
Senior - BHPian

The SkodaRS is a great car, and its comfy as long as ur in the front seat. Its got ver nice comfy and supportive seats. Rear isn't all that bad, but it depends on each persons taste.

For that scorching performance and adreline rush....Skoda RS is the car to get!
karthik247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th August 2006, 23:33   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Weekdays - chauffer driven. Weekends - I drive myself.
Out of the two Sonata it is.

If you haven't narrowed down on these two I would really recommend you to have a look at Civic.

Quote:
Is it really that bad. I currently have an Ikon 1.6 SXI. Am ok with the back seat legroom. Would the RS be worse than that?
No it won't be worse.
And if there is no one in front passenger seat then you can take that seat forward & voila you got more space.
adya33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 03:52   #13
GTO
Team-BHP Support

You love to drive, and theres only one car that appeals to the heart - The Skoda RS. The Skoda back seat is certainly not its strong point, but if you are the only person being chauffeur driven...push the front passenger seat all the way ahead! Better yet, sit in the front passenger seat - Thats what I do in the rare instance that I am chauffeur driven in the C220.

You dont wanna sit in the back seat of a Sonata and ogle at every RS that passes you by, do you?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 03:53   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rambono5
Is it really that bad. I currently have an Ikon 1.6 SXI. Am ok with the back seat legroom. Would the RS be worse than that?
The back-seat of the RS is not bad by any chance. When we are comparing the comfort of RS, its in comparison to the competition.

In this case the sonata is already a segment higher, plus Sonata has more space at the rear while RS lacks this. hence the vast difference.
devarshi84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th August 2006, 06:52   #15
Distinguished - BHPian

RS rear seat are hard for my liking. Sonata would be my choice as you get chaufferued around 5/7. I guess better skills at wheel would be more fun and Sonata wont be that bad with a good driver. ANd if I remember right, Sonata dont have rear seat AC vents
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote