Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 29th August 2006, 04:07   #1
BHPian

Hi guys,

In the latest issue of Top Gear, I saw Petra 1.2 petrol listed for just 3.6 lakh (ex-showroom).

Is that an amazing price or what??!!

My budget is 4L, so I never thought of lookin beyond hatchs but a proper sedan for that price is just too good a deal, don't you think?
tushar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 09:46   #2
BHPian

The Petra aint got no 1.2 litre options. The Siena used to have it- but I thinnk they discontinued that with the Petra. Still a 1.2 litre engine for that heavy beast? You're better off with "Daddy's BIIIIIIIG CAR".
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 09:46   #3
BHPian

Default Thats a record!!

Well well,

I haven't heard of 1.2L Petra. Siena was obviously there.

Anyway, that would be the heaviest car with the smallest engine in its class!!! A record of the sorts. If you want to go places, a backup car would be advisable
WhiteKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 10:00   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

Just checked Autocar and Top gear! Seems thers exists a 1.2 Petra!!! But its price 5lac up in Autocar which should be right. I would suggest the 1.6 if its 5 lac up.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 10:14   #5
Senior - BHPian

The Petra 1.2 does not exist anymore. u can only get the petra 1.6 and 1.9D and that too only from the fiat dealers and not the tata fiat dealers
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 12:51   #6
BHPian

Petra 1.2 was indeed available until some time back.Dont know whether anything's changed after the tie up with TATA.I had a Palio 1.2 NV which was grossly underpowered.The heavier Petra with the same "NVied" engine would mean a few Premier Padminis could overtake you,especially with the a/c on!Stay far away from that Petra 1.2 I say.
Petra 1.6 on the other hand is a brilliant value for money proposition.

Last edited by roms : 29th August 2006 at 12:54.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 13:25   #7
Senior - BHPian

I had Siena 1.2 (Petra lookalike) till recently. It is not as underpowered as it is said. I drove it in city for close to 10 months and went once for a long drive of 400 KMS. I could easily manage the urban speeds with the car, but there will be some extra usage of gears. I even had an LPG kit installed and there was no drop in power even with LPG. To put it clear, i wouldn't cry if somebody forces me to drive this car (Actually i was forced to drive it for 10 months)

If this car is available for dirt cheap and your main requirement is mostly urban driving and occasional highway driving and if you want a car built like tank and has a trunk, go, buy this car.

In the end i could still find somebody to pay me 2.2 lacs for my car.
satish_appasani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 13:42   #8
BHPian

I think Petra 1.2 is still available. But the difference between it and Petra 1.6 is not more than 10-15 k. So I don't think you should consider it.
windsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 13:50   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by satish_appasani
I had Siena 1.2 (Petra lookalike) till recently. It is not as underpowered as it is said.
Satish,the Siena 1.2 had the "old version" of the 1.2 engine which was much better than the NV engine(euro3) which the Petra was equipped with.The Palio NV is anyway sluggish and the Petra with the same engine would be more so given the extra weight.The Siena 1.2 was a pretty good car to drive in comparison.
Old 29th August 2006, 14:07   #10
BHPian

In any case, 3.6 lacs is too low for a new Petra, be it 1.6 or 1.2. Or is there any chance that its a used car? But then I can't recollect when I saw an ad for a used Petra. I guess too few have ever been sold to make it to the used car market. Which is a pity, since its a great car. I have had only one very small stint in the Siena 1.2 and never in the 1.6, but it felt very comfortable though a trifle heavy to drive (here I must tell you Tushar, that I drive the 800). So, if you are getting a Petra for 3.6 lacs, don't reject it outright, do test drive it once.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 14:19   #11
BHPian

It may very well be a case of a car lying in old stock and hence is now going for such a low price.Please confirm from the dealer and yes,do a proper TD and then consider a purchase.
Old 29th August 2006, 15:40   #12
BHPian

I just checked the Fiat India website and they are only displaying the Petra 1.6 and the Petra diesel. Mumbai price they give is Rs4.95 lacs. So, as Roms just said, you have most probably found yourself an old car. But even that is unusual, since I have not in a long time come across a used Petra for sale.
prabuddhadg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 19:01   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prabuddhadg
I just checked the Fiat India website and they are only displaying the Petra 1.6 and the Petra diesel. Mumbai price they give is Rs4.95 lacs. So, as Roms just said, you have most probably found yourself an old car. But even that is unusual, since I have not in a long time come across a used Petra for sale.
I got the information from the latest issue of Top Gear magazine. They recommended it as a good buy since it's availabe at a "rock bottom price".
tushar79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 23:16   #14
Senior - BHPian

visited a fiat dealer a few weeks back to check out the petra. only 1.6 petrol and 1.9 diesel available. No 1.2s anymore. And as the latest ads suggest the top of the line petrol is for 5.32L and Diesel at 5.77L(ex showroom mumbai). The base variants are 30-40Ks cheaper.
ashutoshb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2006, 23:59   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms
Satish,the Siena 1.2 had the "old version" of the 1.2 engine which was much better than the NV engine(euro3) which the Petra was equipped with.The Palio NV is anyway sluggish and the Petra with the same engine would be more so given the extra weight.The Siena 1.2 was a pretty good car to drive in comparison.
Roms, while I cannot comment on the performance of a 1.2 Siena, and I'm going OT here, I love your signature! Alllow me to explain my thought process:

This speaks volumes of Fiat's lackadaisal attitute in the India market.

What's I'm saying in a convoluted way is; Fiat pretty much invented CRDi technology. So then, why, oh why? didn't they offer that technology in their initial diesel offerings in India to begin with??? I daresay their sales charts would have read a whole lot differently if they did. So much for their directly or indirectly introducing their 1.3 CRDi offering in a whole bunch of cars in the near future.

Good things come to those who wait obviously doesn't apply in this case. Fiat continues to offer a normally aspirated 1.9D while the rest of the world has seemingly moved on.

Bajaj, anyone?
airfoil is offline   Reply With Quote