Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 5th September 2006, 13:08   #16
BHPian

Considering the facts, I would go for an Accent GLE (Petrol). Around 6 lakhs, low maintenance, 10-10.5kmpl in city. Low maintenance. Quite a capable allround family car, hugely underrated.

It is not an enthusiast's car. I am guessing (not a good thing to do), your grandparents are not auto enthusiasts.
Rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 13:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Have you looked at the new ford fusion.

however If looks do not perturb you then go for the baleno blindly.Moreover Excellent scheme available for esteem owners to trade over to the baleno right now.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 14:10   #18
BHPian

i would go with rover, with his take on the accent.yes, no doubt a good car keeping those things he mentioned on mind.pretty good mileage, low on maintenance and not too bad on comfort too.
accent would be a good choice.
stevie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 18:18   #19
BHPian

the drivers are going to be old people, however enthusiastic, they will have problems with this basic move of getting in and out of the car.

it is more sensible to take care of 2 important points...
- getting in and out of the car must not be a struggle,
- less in maintenance, less visits to the workshop

The Baleno / Accent has low slumped seats, more for the younger kind.

Indigo's seats are good when it comes to open the door - bend only a bit and sit.

If they can compromise on the boot space requirement to a certain level, they can opt for the latest version of Wagon-R.

- easy to move in / out, fuel efficient and it is Maruti say no more about maintenance-free machines (though there have been sad stories).

- give a thought about the Swift ZXi too.

Last edited by gbpscars : 5th September 2006 at 18:22.
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 18:43   #20
BHPian

check this one too,...

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...tml#post286336

http://www.tatamotors.com/our_world/...49&action=Pull
gbpscars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th September 2006, 18:46   #21
Senior - BHPian

IF boot space can be compromised, the SWIFT it is
i would certainly not recommend the esteem or the baleno, simply because of the low seating. old people need not go through that. The honda city is best. tatas - no no. maybe the versa.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 09:51   #22
Senior - BHPian

I would say go for the Getz. Easy to get in and out of, breeze to drive in the city and though it does not have a boot, it has a reasonably spacious hatch. So unless your grandparent regulary do teh airport/station trips, getz should suffice. Also, in case ur grandpa is a golfer- the getz can accomodate a full size golf bag

My mother drives a getz in Delhi and she is 60 years old- no complaints from the car whatsoever!
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 10:26   #23
BHPian

To all those who suggest hatch back - Vandan's requirement post clearly indicates that required car needs to have a boot. Please do not confuse the poor soul with more choices than he needs.

By the way - where is Vandan?

To all those who point out ease of entry/exit - I agree that for old people this is important. Having said that, I also must mention that the people who are going to ease the new car are cureently using the Esteem.

In today's world buying a car is more 'elimination' than 'choice'. We have come long way from too few to too many. More the merrier, though.

My 2 cents for all it counts.
Old 6th September 2006, 10:47   #24
BHPian

hey,
i am very much here,just spokw with my grandpa,was like the fiesta might be to big for him to drive around,can some one tell me the dimensions of the esteem to compare with other cars¿
here are the specs of the fiesta-
length- 4282mm
width- 1686mm
height- 1468mm
i personally too think he will not be able to manage a fiesta....really confused at this point of time...
vandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 11:14   #25
BHPian

if he has been driving a esteem he wont have any probs driving the fiesta even getting in and out of the car is easy (telling frm personal experience own a fiesta 1.6sxi and my dad has got bad knee joints and its easier for him to get in or out) best his tell him to take a test drive that will clear any doubts
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 11:15   #26
BHPian

I would suggest the Baleno LXI. It has the best rear seat in that price range of below 6L along with the Ford Ikon which is a boon for older folks. The Esteem/Accent rear seats are one of the worst out there.

The Baleno is a pretty reliable car with a very powerful A/C. And maintenence will be not a problem since its a Maruti and yah you will also get the legendary Japanese F.E and Maruti A** which you are soo used to in the Esteem.

And what more, there is a profitable scheme doing the rounds in Maharashtra on the purchase of a Baleno in exchange of your old Esteem, soo you can opt for that and get a good discount.

But, on the negative side,...............The looks of the Baleno are highly debateable.

In the end, I suggest you test drive all the cars that you have shortlisted and go in for one that suits your requirements the best!

Cheers+

Last edited by prince85 : 6th September 2006 at 11:19.
prince85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 11:17   #27
Senior - BHPian

The Fiesta is not too big a vehicle, especially if you grandfather has driven an Amby before (which I am sure every Indian that drives has).

Indigo would be a good choice too - not sure if the 'new' version has many changes on the interiors, which is where it was a bit of a let down. The petrol Indigo is hugely under-rated.

Baleno / Accent are good too, but ease of entry and driving position are definitely not meant for the aged.

Personally I think its between the Fiesta 1.4 and the Indigo. I like the rather understated looks of the Fiesta - its what a little boy would draw as a 'car', unlike the morphed looks of most cars today. It is also reasonably spacious and adequately powered. Maintenance costs would be higher, though - it is a Ford, and a 'premium' model too.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 11:32   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandan
hey,
can some one tell me the dimensions of the esteem to compare with other cars¿
Esteem dimensions

Overall Length 4095 mm
Overall Width 1575 mm
Overall Height 1395 mm
Front Tread 1365 mm
Rear Tread 1340 mm
GC 170 mm
Turning Radius 4.8 M

Source - Esteem brochure
Old 6th September 2006, 11:43   #29
kdb
BHPian

No questions asked .. go for the fiesta 1.4 petrol..

1. mileage : it gives me 13-14 (with full ac) and 15+ (without ac) in city

2. comfort : the engine is soo smoooth (the more you drive the more you love it) suspension is superb too..

3. maintenece : i have already done 15K (8 months) on the car and only money i spent on maintanence is Rs 1100 (that too on third service at 10K for oil and filter change etc..)

4. City driving : its a gr8 city car .. its got the same turning radius as the Honda city i.e, 4.9 m

Go fida my friend
kdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th September 2006, 11:47   #30
Senior - BHPian

Bro,
we own a fiesta and it's really easy to drive around in the city. Much easier then most of the other cars listed.
I would reccomend a Fiesta for them since they drive. Baleno would also be a good option but at that price, a stock fiesta is better then a stock baleno.
Cheers
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote