Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 9th September 2006, 06:39   #1
BHPian

Unhappy Please Help...Which car to buy...???

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post and I am in a dilemma of sorts. I m in the US and visiting india sometime in Oct Nov this year. I want to purchase a car for my parents. We earlier had a zen which we sold off...although it served us very well.
As this is solely for my parents, and they dont do too much of daily running on the car, I am in a dilemma of sorts. We want to purchase a diesel car...thats where my inclination is...keeping in mind the fuel prices in India. Just got down to 2-3 options:
1. New Indica V2 Turbo DLG
2. Second Hand Ford Ikon 1.8D
3. Second hand Maruti Esteem Diesel/Tata Indigo Diesel/Palio D

What would be the best bet here?? I v heard good comments about the Indica V2 turbo but somehow I am not comfortable with the cab image of indica in india...

Please suggest as to which car should we go for?
Budget is < 4 lacs...

If going for second hand DIESEL car, wat are the things to look for?

thanks in advance..
-Ash.
ashwin_seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 07:56   #2
Senior - BHPian

My suggestion is you either buy a new V2 or a used Palio , and incase you get a low mileage covered Ikon , you can go for it but I dont think you will get one either . Infact I dont think you will get an IKon which hasnt done 65K + incase you get one for low price consider yourself fortunate . As far as Esteem DI is concerened all I can say is stay away from it.
maxbhp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 11:44   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashwin_seattle
As this is solely for my parents, and they dont do too much of daily running on the car, I am in a dilemma of sorts. We want to purchase a diesel car...
If the daily running is less then why diesel. It really isn't cost effective considering the fact that diesel cars cost more than petrol cars. Do the math.

My recommendation would be to consider reliable, high FE, low maintainance car from Maruti stable. A Wagon R or Alto.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 11:52   #4
BHPian

If your usage is gonna be 60+ kms/day then diesel would do the math, else go for a petrol. Try to stay away from used diesel cars, buy a new Indica V2 Turbo else look no further than a used Palio 1.9D.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th September 2006, 13:32   #5
BHPian

a better buy would be a wagonr duo or a swift (if not more than 50kms a day)u can go for marutinri.com directly that would be more convinient way to buy u get more discounts than the conventional dealers and also u can save certain money coz u wont be charged for transferrinfg funds...ex u get a deal of 28000 through nri scheme else 20k through dealers....and add another 20k loss for transaction....
no second hand boss dont trouble ur parents
trinadha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th September 2006, 01:51   #6
BHPian

Thanks for the replies. Whats flashing in my mind is also an option of a second hand Esteem (pterol). I was getting a 2002 esteem Lxi for 1.9.

any opinions on this?
Now on choosing Indica if i go for a new car, the thing is that Indica is more spacious better build etc than santro /wagon r.
And parents would travel more on highway than city...so was thinking of the Indica..
Plz lemme know ur views...i am open to second hand petrols as well...
Old 12th September 2006, 22:28   #7
BHPian

Default Used Esteem or Ikon??

Thanks for your suggestions.

Well now that Indica is ruled out(due to my low monthly running < 300 km), I have narrowed down to 2 options:
1. Used Esteem 2000-2004 models(pref Vx)
2. Used Ford Ikon (pref Flair..)

Now I heard that FOrd is discontinuing Ikon in India...Wud that be a deciding factor?
Please advice which one's a better option: Esteem or Flair. I have driven Esteems and i like the performance...very quick..but just the ride quality/build is an issue. Flair looks a little sluggish to me ..72bhp..:(
But its ride quality is good, nice AC and better looks/build.(but low resale)

Pls suggest.
Thanks,
-Ash.
Old 12th September 2006, 23:17   #8
Senior - BHPian

Hi,

Ashwin Welcome to Team BHP. I guess you are from chandigarh. (Me too). I would frankly suggest you to go for a small car for your parents as traffic in chandigarh is increasing day by day due to opening IT city.

Though if you still insist on going for a big car then go for Flair. Nice car, Niciest AC in class (Chandigarh is getting hotter tooooo. very less rain this time in last 10 years). Esteem doesnt have the build quality and if the car is for parents the you must consider safety too. I regarding IKON flair discontinuing then its wrong. The flair will last around 3 more years in india as said by the dealers.

So just go ahead with the Ford Flair and remember to get it serviced by BHAGAT FORD only. SLUJA NOT THAT GOOD and BHAGAT FORD has a wide network in india specially in punjab and himachal.

Just my $0.02
abhibh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 00:17   #9
Senior - BHPian

reading all the suggestions given above & the shortlist that you have made, i would recommend the wagonr or the santro for your parents. these 2 cars are very reliable, easy to maintain & good in mileage too. i would not recommend the esteem simply because of the sitting posture, specially since it is for your parents. otherwise, the esteem is a great car, dont believe the other posts here about the esteem being not safe or poor build quality. and stay away from the american car too, the maintanence will hurt, if it is an used car. play it safe & get the wagonr or santro, i would say

p.s 2002 esteem lxi for 1.9 lakh- thats a terrific price

Last edited by esteem_lover : 13th September 2006 at 00:26.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 10:28   #10
Senior - BHPian

Aswin_seattle,

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover
i would not recommend the esteem simply because of the sitting posture, specially since it is for your parents.
I second that. Most likely your parents don't care how fast is your car or the handling etc. They probably care about ease of use and comfort. Would still recommend Alto, Wagon-R or Santro. If you like Indica, you can look at Indica Xeta.
hondadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 12:46   #11
BHPian

Ashwin, as much as possible do not go for a second hand diesel car! generally Diesel cars are rough used, and if rough used, down the line the diesel cars start giving problems!

As u said their running is going to be less, then u are best off to be buying a WAGON R DUO! lovely car, With LPG kit from factory! nothing beats it!

The new wagon r looks nice and stylish, and engine is also tweaked for better efficiency they claim.
Insane Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th September 2006, 13:42   #12
Senior - BHPian

Since the car is going to be for your parents, rear seat space, ride quality and ease of entry and exit seem to be the most important qualities.
I would really advise you to check out a Baleno or a Lancer for that price.
Out of the above two, the Flair is the one to go for.
Cheers
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 00:40   #13
BHPian

Hi people,

I know i have posted this before but now that I am just near to make my India visit(25th oct-22nd nov), i want to zero in on the cars list and then just go for it. I have now decided that I am going for a used car and not a new one....Need some suggestions from you...
-First is which car i would get in good condition for 1.5-1.75 lacs?
-Also where to look for these in Delhi....Karol Bagh?
-Can someone sugegst any good sec hand dealers in Delhi, or may be some big car bazaars?

Cars short listed:
Esteem, Ikon, Santro, Palio??

Price range
1.5 - 1.75 lacs

Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations
Should be good

Average distance traveled per month:
around 500 kms

Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc)
Both...more on highway

Chauffer driven / self driven:
Both

Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family
This will be for my parents, as well as younger brother who would be driving it.

Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort)
We just sold off our zen....need somthing more spacious, at least spacious than the zen...though the zen was great otherwise.

How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you)
2-3 years

Pls suggest!!!

Thanks,
-Ashwin.
Old 2nd October 2006, 01:50   #14
Senior - BHPian

Getting a good ikon for 1.75 is very difficult,also customer service ,maintainance an issue with ford so the ford should be out of the race.

That leaves you with palio ,esteem and santro.
Of these recomend palio for its excellent build quality but you may not get the resale value of a maruti vehicle.Getting a good esteem for 1.75 again difficult.Have heard of number of complaints from second hand owners about their santros and do not recommend you one as well.

So leaves you with one choice - The fiat palio.

Hey theres already a thread going on a similar topic take leads from there:
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...-1-5-lacs.html

Last edited by rahul_intlad : 2nd October 2006 at 02:00.
rahul_intlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd October 2006, 02:11   #15
Senior - BHPian

You want topurchase a car for your parents. Getting a used car for self is OK since you will be around to get it fixed in case some unforeseen problems arise. They are also very likely in a used 3 box car of the budget you are quoting since the car will be at least 3-4 years old to come for that price..
My suggestion would be to purchase a new wagon R or Santro...and purchase the extended warranty too..this will give you total peace of mind..
If you are clear on purchasing a 3 Box car only.. I suggest you go in for an esteem as the cars are generally very reliable and parts pretty inexpensive....the engine is known by all to last at least 200000 kms...seen esteem taxis that have done 300000 too without engine rebores
.. other cars will provide you much more room (depends if you come from a family of tall persons) but the spares will be at least 2 times what you would pay for esteem spares..
I know a Baleno and a santro..and while I love the Baleno...it is not for the economically minded....even the headlamps cost 11k each
Buffetfan is offline   Reply With Quote