Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which D-Segment sedan would you choose?
Hyundai Elantra 54 15.56%
Toyota Corolla Altis 58 16.71%
Skoda Octavia 109 31.41%
Volkswagen Jetta 114 32.85%
Chevrolet Cruze 12 3.46%
Voters: 347. You may not vote on this poll

Old 7th November 2016, 23:54   #61
BHPian

Default Re: The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze

Great thread, anyone looking at these cars right now just needs to go through all pages and he wont need any more info

A great segment, sad to see it dying a slow death in India. I would even say it's possibly the only segment where one can replace one car with another and still be satisfied. Driver oriented, loaded with features and pretty much all rounders in most aspects.

Nonetheless, which specific car to buy would (and should) depend a great deal on overall financial aspects. Someone in a comfortable position might not look beyond the Europeans. While for someone managing on a stretch and not having the luxury of spending big bucks in future if needed, Corolla and Elantra make more sense. Except for the anemic diesel in Corolla, don't think anything else is an Achilles heel for any other car. The best part is most them are top sellers globally, and thus well sorted in most aspects. To me the biggest surprise about the Civic has been how far ahead it is from the City mechanically and in terms of being driver oriented. Can't see any reason why others won't be in the same league, even if the Europeans hold an edge.

And well, why not the Cruze too? If one wants a quick auto box sedan with all bells and whistles and doesn't want to go near the DSGs, then it makes a pretty strong case for itself.
avisidhu is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 00:30   #62
Senior - BHPian

Default Re: The D-segment sedan battle: Elantra vs Corolla Altis vs Octavia vs Jetta vs Cruze

It's been over 10.5 years of owning 2 Toyota Corollas (including my Corolla Altis that is now over 8 years old and still runs like a dream) with their bland looks but with pretty sprightly trouble free performance. The icing on the cake for me has been the top notch after sales service and backup.

Thing is, if I were in the market for a D1 would I buy a Corolla again? Frankly the trouble free Toyotas have spoiled me. But I am a petrol head through and through so if I had to make a choice today it would be:

a) Toyota Corolla Altis 1.8 Petrol (Only because I've been driving this model for over 10 hassle free years). Hey, a decade plus of zero hassles with only routine maintenance does warrant a bit of loyalty, right?

b) Skoda Octavia 1.8 TSI (forgetting for a moment the lousy service and less than stellar reliability). I love to drive this car. Nothing to match the 1.8 TSI engine in this segment.

c) Hyundai Elantra - Sharp looking car, but I won't plonk about 20-21L on a Hyundai.

d) And if it MUST be a diesel? A Jetta hands down. I really like the oh-so-European shape. I wouldn't touch the Corolla Altis 1.4L diesel even for a test drive at the dealership. I refused to even start the engine (really!).
R2D2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 11:51   #63
BHPian

I was in a soup regarding replacing my Laura about a month back and the replacement was to be another D segment car. I went ahead and got myself another Skoda- the Octavia Style Edition (Diesel AT). Hence i have voted for the Octavia here as well.

The Elantra was veto-ed since it just does not feel special enough at almost INR22 lacs on road. Yes it is properly loaded and looks good but just doesnt feel special. It truly lacks the wow factor that a lot of people look for. The 1.6 diesel is no slouch but it no match for the VW/Skoda 2.0 diesels. For every day driving, the AT box is decent, i am sure- but again having driven a DSG for 5.5 years- i wanted it again- badly!

The corolla wasn't even considered due to lack of AT in diesel and 6 airbags. Age has caught up badly with the Cruze and hence that went out.

It was a close fight between the Jetta and Octavia but here is what went in favor of Octavia:

1. 8 Airbags
2. MQB Chasis
3. Updated 2.0 engine
4. MY17 has the navigation- so its a properly loaded car now
5. Sunroof- yes i stay in delhi; yes i never open it; but i always keep the cover pulled back and i love the light that comes in- cabin feels airier
6. Back seat has more space than the Jetta and i found it to be a tad bit more comfortable
7. 4 years warranty and 4 years of service pack including ATF at 60k: SORTED!
8. Still looks classy and elegant despite being 3 years old

I know i lose the multi link but then that is about it. Ride in city is not all that bad. i wont track the car till its in warranty and once warranty is over- like my Laura this too will get a proper makeover including coilovers.

And for everyone who have doubts on handling of the Diesel DSG- A stage 1 car with just lowering springs lapped the BIC in 2:38 recently! oh hell yeah!

Rohan
RohanDheman is offline   (2) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 8th November 2016, 13:14   #64
BHPian

My basic problem with the Jetta and Octy is their service. The Cruze is outdated though not a bad car but servicie centres outside the metros are not great. For peace of mind and bullet proof reliability for a decade or so you have to go with the Elantra or Corolla.

Which one of those two you pick depends on your personal preference. My biggest problem with all these D-segment cars is none of them truly justify a 20 lakh price tag. Sadly too many cars are overpriced in India
pganapathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th November 2016, 16:11   #65
BHPian

We might see Jetta racing away from Octy in Poll results in upcoming days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagpatel View Post
I was just going through the "technical specs" on skoda india's website. I am shocked to see skoda is not offering all-round disc brakes anymore. The rear ones are now drums.
Why skoda why?
bhavik.1991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th November 2016, 17:59   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
We might see Jetta racing away from Octy in Poll results in upcoming days.
Its most probably a typo error on the website. Even the smaller engined Octavias abroad get rear Discs. That being said if Skoda removes the discs from a car having an engine like the beastly 1.8 TSI, it will surely weaken the braking causing a massive decrease in the overall safety, sales and perhaps even the goodwill of Skoda too. Thats the last thing they want considering the hideous past record which they had.

Lets not come to conclusions so quick and wait for Skoda to officially confirm the change if its the case. However if that really is confirmed, we'll surely get the news of the drastic change to our favourite Sedan on the home page of Team-Bhp.

Last edited by Starfire : 12th November 2016 at 18:00.
Starfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 09:27   #67

Default D segment - is it worth taking a risk with Skoda or go with trusted Hyundai?

Hi folks! I'm brand new to this forum, so welcome me!!

Well, coming straight to the topic- I'm looking to buy a second car, in addition to my existing Xcent Sx(o). The reason to buy second car, rather than just upgrade the existing, is that we stay in Jamshedpur, where there is practically no public transport, so two cars often becomes a necessity- one for myself at work, and the other for family use. We are a family of 5, including 2 school-going kids, (6, if we add our driver), and being a typical Gujju family carrying loads of luggage wherever we go(!), space is a priority. Budget is not so much of a concern, anything up to 25L is fine. I would prefer automatic over manual. Type of segment is not a concern- I'm open to anything- sedan, suv, mpv, anything is fine.

With the above requirements, the first obvious choice for us was Crysta Diesel Zx AT. We did take a test drive, (this was almost 3 months ago, only within the confines of the city) and were immediately impressed with it at the first td. Luxurious interiors, ample space, good power, feature-rich, everything fit the bill. The only issue we noticed was difficulty for my 68yrs mom to ingress in the second row- it's at too much of a height for elderly people. But considering all other positives, we decided to overlook this aspect, and had almost finalized buying the car. But then, I happened to read in some reviews about lot of noise at highway speeds, and also build-quality scaled down compared to the old Innova. So before finalizing, we decided to have a second td. And this time, we did take the vehicle to the highway. And yes, indeed we did find that at speeds above 100kmph, the vehicle does get significantly noisy. There is this feel of lack of refinement and finesse at high speeds. Also, the test vehicle did not look as plush now after 3 months, as compared to while it was brand new during my first td. And funnily, the touch-screen too lacked refinement- there was a noticeable lag. Agreed, this was a test vehicle, being used over n over again by different costumers, but then 3-4 months is not that long a period. And certainly, we have come to expect better quality from brand Toyota. So this td was sort of a spirit-dampner. (Crysta users, please give me your feedbacks- am I being biased, being influenced by some reviews and unduly worried, or are my concerns legitimate? )

Xuv I did not consider due to non-existent boot!

So the next option was D segment. (Petrol, for this segment). Although Altis is the segment leader, none of my family members somehow liked it. Volkswagen has lots of service-related issues in my town, so I didn't even consider Jetta. New Elantra got launched around the same period, and everyone liked it immediately. Especially the ease of driving in the city made my wife fall for it at once! But then, the new octavia was something everyone liked even more- more space, bigger boot, panoramic sunroof (unlike the smaller sunroof of Elantra), and subtle things like screen-mirroring in the AVN display, better MID, etc making my family members like it over Elantra, while fun-to-drive factor, stronger build quality, German make (Czech, to be precise) and some additional features (like eg rain-sensing wipers, which are lacking in Elantra) making me like it over Elantra. (Although I do have a driver, I would also be doing a major chunk of driving myself.) Lower pricing and ventilated seats were the advantages with Elantra.

But the question over reliabilty of after-sales service has always made me hesitant of brand Skoda. In fact, even during my previous purchase, my heart was on Rapid, again considering fun to drive factor and the obvious better build quality, plus of course, it being a higher segment car than Xcent, and especially considering that those days Rapid had heavy discounts and the mid variant of Rapid almost coming at same price as top-variant non-discounted Xcent. But it was only the reputation of bad after- sales service and probable higher maintenance cost that made me stay away from Skoda & go for Xcent, a decision which I still often regret.

So now I'm faced with the same dilemma- although my heart is on Octavia, I have been very skeptical about it's fussy ownership reputation. (These opinions about Skoda are formed only based on hearsay reports from friends/aquaintances, and from various reviews- I personally have no experience with brand Skoda). Are these really so much of big issues, or is it all over-hyped and exaggerated? Also, although Hyundai has very good after-sales network, somehow its build-quality has not been up to the mark. Also, the mileage is poor. (Both my previous cars, i10 and Xcent, have been from Hyundai, so these are my own observations, not hearsay ones! ). Although, I did notice that Hyundai has certainly made major improvements in the build quality in Elantra- there is unquestionable feel of premiumness to this new Elantra.

Would highly appreciate inputs from all of you experts. Do I listen to my heart n go for Octavia, or keep listening to my brain n stick to Elantra? Or any other alternatives? Reconsider Crysta? Wait for Tuscon??? (I don't mind stretching my budget, but only if it is really worth it).

Last edited by Montee35 : 21st November 2016 at 09:44. Reason: Added certain additional point.
Montee35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 12:34   #68
BHPian

Default Re: D segment - is it worth taking a risk with Skoda or go with trusted Hyundai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montee35 View Post
Do I listen to my heart n go for Octavia, or keep listening to my brain n stick to Elantra? Or any other alternatives? Reconsider Crysta? Wait for Tuscon??? (I don't mind stretching my budget, but only if it is really worth it).
I would say the Crysta, Elantra and possibly the upcoming Hexa are the best options given your requirements. I know fully well the way in which the Octavia can tug at the heart strings, but how is the ownership experience for many in your city? I don't believe the ownership experience will be entirely trouble-free, parts take their own time coming in at times and given the number of people that this car will serve, I don't think that makes the Octavia a sensible choice at all.

Since you sound happier with the Elantra and not-so-pleased with the Crysta, stick with the former for now and hold on a bit to see if the Hexa suits your needs. It could well be the well-rounded alternative to the Elantra you seek.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 21st November 2016, 13:51   #69
BHPian

Default Re: D segment - is it worth taking a risk with Skoda or go with trusted Hyundai?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montee35 View Post
Would highly appreciate inputs from all of you experts. Do I listen to my heart n go for Octavia, or keep listening to my brain n stick to Elantra? Or any other alternatives? Reconsider Crysta? Wait for Tuscon??? (I don't mind stretching my budget, but only if it is really worth it).
I know a few people who have no issues with Skoda service, mainly because nothing has ever gone wrong with their cars. Regular service and they are happy. Then I also know people who have had a horrible time since something has gone wrong and Skoda ASS is hopeless at fixing anything out of routine service.

If you are planning to use the car yourself and come to peace with the potential of a problem then go ahead. If everyone in your house including the driver is going to be driving it, them I would go with something else.

Also why have you knocked off the XUV for boot space when you want a five seater car? With the third row down it has more space than a sedan and is a great car. My advise is fix some requirements on what you want and then look. No point having different criteria for every car where each will fail something.
VellVector is offline   (1) Thanks Reply With Quote
Old 24th November 2016, 15:56   #70

Thanks a lot! After these feedback opinions, I have finally decided to go ahead with Elantra.

Hope I'm not disappointed.

One issue with Elantra, though, is that they are not committing to date of delivery, or for that matter, even tentative date.

Shall keep updating...
Montee35 is offline   Reply With Quote