Old 30th November 2006, 09:04   #16
BHPian

cutting the crap...i suggest NHC
Minardi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 13:04   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrAzY dRiVeR View Post
hey.... Wish you a happy married life...

Both cars are good, although they cannot be directly compared... The NHC is a very good car, and being a Honda is reason enough to buy it... It is a tad unmderpowered on the highways... But, its really not all that bad... Just wont let you have too much fun on the highways, thats all... Its not like you would have to sit and count minutes beofre the car starts responding...

But... I would love to own the Scorpio myself... Its a different beat altogether... And would be perfect for highways... ok, it is not perfect... But.. the tough boy image and the powerful diesel compensates for all its shortcomings... But, please dont buy it for the last rown of seats... Its not at all comfortable... Can only be used comfortably for short trips...

The new baleno sure looks good... YOu'll get muich better service then the Honda... Just upto you to decide whether you want a more value for money, competent car, or have a Honda...

Thanks buddy,

I thinks it make sense to wait for another 4 months when one is contemplating buying a new car...that too 7 lacs (approx), and i am going to keep it for a considerable time.

And no risk..people...because NHC will anyways be there

Cheers!!!
cutdcrap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 15:10   #18
Senior - BHPian

I can tell you one thing for sure , the new baleno doesnt have that classy propotion of the present one , now am emphasising on proportion not shape which is very subective . The long hood , short overhang , low sitting car .....in oneword ... sporty saloon .
The new one looks weird !!!!!!!
Right from the split windows upfront .
I vote for NHC , the only reason I feel is worthy enough waiting for is the JTD factor which can change the whole way you look at a B a l e n o .
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st December 2006, 20:11   #19
BHPian

Question

Hey guys,

Going through the threads, I feel my hidden desire to own a second hand OHC Vtec has been brought forward.

I know its a different league altogether, but i shall be worried about the spares and their availablilty (that is, if i am able to convince my wife of buying a second hand car!!)

BTW...what would be approx cost and FE of a VTEC in Delhi???Any guesses????

Thanks TBHPians for giving me an alternate to think on....
Old 10th April 2007, 14:50   #20
BHPian

Default Finally...esteem

Hi guys,

Apologies for not being active and posting threads for such a long time, busy with work.

I shall come to the point straight away. After a long research and looking after possible all cars in the category of 6.5-7.5 lacs, I realised that I had to decrease my budget, as suggested by my finance minister (aka wife).

So my new budget range fell by a whopping 2 lacs , and i wasnt very happy but then marriage makes u realise a lot of things u havent when u were otherwise. So, the choices were limited to Ikon, Esteem and Indigo (since I wanted a 3 box car only). I was predominantly looking for value for money, after sales service, cheap to maintain, good FE, and ost importantly it should be convenient to drive for me and wifee. Let me discuss these one by one:

1. Ford Ikon

Quite sturdy built (can feel it in the thud also when u close doors)
Very good road stability, responsive steering.
However, Ikon after sales service is pathetic in Delhi and heard from my friends not very cheap to maintain. So ruled out. Besides, wifee is not very tall so she had problems reversing car, and so it could not be considered at all.

2. Tata Indigo

Was very impressed with the cabin space, though looks are subjective but I liked it. Nearly finalised it, then decided to go have a look at Esteem since dad already had a 800, and I have driven it for past so many years without a problem.

3. Maruti Esteem

So that was it. Went online first to have a look at the specifications. Compared initially at the website Used Cars, New Cars, Buy Car, Sell Car, New Car Pricing, Used Car Values, Automobiles, Car loan, Used cars for sale, used car - CarWale.com India between the models of esteem, indigo and ikon. After speaking to parents, friends and reading a lot of reviews decided to go for a test drive. So, went to a dealer in new delhi for a test drive. Got a drive of Lx first, and rejected it outrightly since it didnt have a power steering..it looked heavier to drive than 800. Besides, as per me its not advisable to buy base model of a maruti product since the goodies come in the middle or higher segments only. However, again its personal choice and my reviews are my own opinions, not meant to offend anyone. So, decided for the Lxi.

My sis in law owns a DSA and so finance wasnt a prob, and I was to get a good deal. So the D-day was 06.04.07 (Friday), and we were to go to xxx motors (since sis-in-law knew the guys). I am not disclosing the dealership since i didnt go there and dont want to offend anyone. My dad who was on a tour returned on Friday early morning and told me that there was someone he knew (a distant relative) cousin who worked in one of dealerships at Rohan Motors, Greater Noida. I immediately called her and she said that someone would get in touch with me shortly. By that time, I had the cash and papers ready since I was to go buy the car. A person called Amit Malik called me and gave me a better deal than what I was getting. I got the car On road for 4.85 lacs including the 3 year extended warranty. Besides, the salesman was so helpful he got the number plate the next day and got it attached at my place which is about 35 kms from Greater Noida. I got the car within 2 hrs of my reaching the place.

The colour I got is Pearl Silver. didnt go for the Vxi since spoiler is something I am not very fond of, and the other differences were rear power windows, fog lamps and stereo for which the additional expense was 40k Stereo was something I wanted to get as a fitment as per my need, fog lamps not a necessity as of now..can get it later... me and wifee are only ones to use the car so no need of rear power windows at the moment..besides, i can get it later on when I want.

Breakup of 40k is:

Rear power windows
Spoiler: 11k
Kenwood Stereo with Nippon speakers : 12k
Fog lamps
Beige interiors
rear defogger

I can get all the stuff excluding the defogger for less than that money without voiding warranty as you may all agree.

The car though has been in the market for a while but is also reliable. The MPFI engine is a beauty and makes no noise at all. The car is so smooth and fun to drive, though the seating is very low, but one gets used to it.

I wanted a music system with USB drive plugin since carrying stupid CDs and burning them again and again is not my cup of tea. So got a Sony 460 for 8100rs, 2 yr warranty with USB plugin for USB drives and aux input for ipod on the front console itself . Now, I just carry my pen drive with 5 gb capacity and plug it in to enjoy the unlimited music. Got JBL speakers with 1 yr warranty for 4100 rs and I am good to go. Decent quality music.
I wanted a boot for the frequent highway trips since I need to carry luggage, else my choice would have been the Swift Vdi.

Overall, I am quite happy with the car, dealer experience (highly recommended) and the package.
Old 10th April 2007, 16:09   #21
BHPian

Thumbs up

Congratulations on your new buy buddy. You have certainly bought yourself a piece of trusted metal. Well, I would say - its a wise decision (keeping all factors and determinants in mind)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutdcrap View Post
Hi guys,

Breakup of 40k is:

Rear power windows
Spoiler: 11k
Kenwood Stereo with Nippon speakers : 12k
Fog lamps
Beige interiors
rear defogger
I think the VXi has broader tyres as well. And some changes on the dashboard too - wooden/chrome trims, etc. That sais, even I would have gone for the LXi, if I was to choose an Esteem.
hmishra83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 09:06   #22
BHPian

Congrats Dude!!! I am sure you will not regret your buy on the Esteem.
Outdated..old...are mere perceptions...in the ever changing world of automobiles.......
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 11:16   #23
Senior - BHPian

congratualtions...its a smart move & esteem has always been a fantastic car...it still looks more sporty than most of the modern cars...and the best part is its got amazing VFM.... happy & safe drivin to you...cheers
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 18:30   #24
BHPian

Congratulations.for ur new car buddy...... Its a wise decision, going for Esteem Lxi....as per ur requirements..
Enjoy the ride..
raj_aryan4411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th April 2007, 22:44   #25
Senior - BHPian

Nice to know that someone sensible still prefers the esteem to the so called tall boys & 'latesht' cars. welcome to the club, friend, you are not alone. The LXI makes sense. it has everything practical that you need & saves you 40k. have a great time on your new vehicle. it will never ever let you down.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 10:34   #26
BHPian

Question 200 km report...

esteem-lover, raj_aryan4411, vkochar, raajks, hmishra83..thank you all very much for your appreciations and congratulations.

Esteem is a fantastic car indeed, and so have I realised within 200 kms of my drive, purely in choc-a-bloc city roads of Delhi/NCR. The engine is so smooth, can hardly hear it. The ICE installed, as you must have all read is Sony 460 HU with rear 2 JBL multielement speakers (had to get the rear tray welded so that speakers can fit in) but the sound is amazing. I dont think I require an amp at the moment. JBL is fantastic

However, I was a little concerned when I lifted the bonnet.To my amazement, I saw that the AC cylinder is fitted right in front of the radiator. In case of any front collision, if the bumper caves in a bit, then it will be the first one to go off. This is ridiculous. Havent talked to dealer as yet, is it the same for all esteems or a new (unwanted) feature . Also, I have noticed that if I leave the accelerator pedal without depressing the clutch, then there is a movement in the gear know, as in it moves a bit forward in the current gear, and when I race again, itgets alright. Is there something wrong in it, or it happens to everyone? I thought I should speak to fellow TBHPians first then the dealer.

BTW, what FE should I be looking at provided I drive in a lot of traffic with AC 100%? I got 28 litres of fuel in the car and there was none in it at that time. I have done about 225 kms with AC 95% on, and mostly a seating of 4 people. The mark is still a bit above Empty. Is this on the lower side?

Sorry guys....just a bit confused and concerned..seek your opinions.

MODS, do you think I should start a new thread or would you shift this to another one???
Old 12th April 2007, 12:48   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed that if I leave the accelerator pedal without depressing the clutch, then there is a movement in the gear know, as in it moves a bit forward in the current gear, and when I race again, itgets alright. Is there something wrong in it, or it happens to everyone? I thought I should speak to fellow TBHPians first then the dealer.
Could you be a little clear in this ? i cant understand your problem. If you are talking about the idling speed & feel it is a little high, check the same with the dealer. Ideal RPM at idling is 800-900 without AC & 1000 with AC.

Quote:
BTW, what FE should I be looking at provided I drive in a lot of traffic with AC 100%? I got 28 litres of fuel in the car and there was none in it at that time. I have done about 225 kms with AC 95% on, and mostly a seating of 4 people. The mark is still a bit above Empty. Is this on the lower side?
The esteem holds 40 litres. Fill up the tank & run it for 200 Kms & fill it up again. This should give you the ideal mileage. FE depends on the traffic conditions, driving habits etc.
Old 12th April 2007, 12:56   #28
Senior - BHPian

I think he meant Gear Knob.. not 'Know'.. typo i guess.

But havnt heard this before. Gear knob moving forward on leaving accelerator pedal. Maybe fellow Esteem owners could help you out.
DCEite is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12th April 2007, 13:30   #29
Senior - BHPian

Thanks deceite, now i get it

There will be a slight jerk/movement (it is there in my car too) on the gear knob when you accelerate/decelarate. That is no concern. It is because of the engine & gear box 'floating' in as much as these need to float a bit to avoid cutting/breaking the chasis. But, i feel that the way you drive is causing this in exagerated manner. i would advice you to softly accelerate/decelarate & see the difference.
Old 12th April 2007, 13:40   #30
Senior - BHPian

FE should be close to 10kpl in delhi/NCR Traffic with AC on all the time as it is a brand new car, you should not expect more than 12 - 13 after your 2 sched services. if esteem gives between 12 - 13 with AC 100% on all the time then this is a good FE , I used to own an esteem 3 yrs back and it gave me 12 to 13 in city with AC & 14 - 15 on highways with AC...

REst of the small glitches you have mentioned are there in the car but then this is a tried & tested car for almost a decade so u need not really worry about it ... happy drivin.....
vkochar is offline   Reply With Quote