Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 12th December 2006, 21:44   #16
BHPian

The Fiesta base model(1.4) and the Ford Fusion is around 5.5 too. Both new cars, and good power too. Ford's got some pretty interesting deals going on, with the season ending. Might be worth a glance...
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 22:27   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
That sounds like a good deal at 510k. Also IIRC the GLE comes with 155 tyres, if so then please upgrade them to atleast 175's for your safety.
The GLE's are coming with 175 rubber it was earlier the GVS model which used to come with 155 rubber...I guess they are putting all those on Getz these days

KP
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th December 2006, 22:45   #18
Senior - BHPian

Smile

at 510k, accent is a good buy, go for it.
but if your are looking for a car which has a character and willing to bare with the ford's A.S.S then dont think of accent go for ikon.
I think Honda, Hyundai and maruti have the best A.S.S.
Being a weekend driver!!, you can also consider Ford Fusion(if u can stresh to 540K) or hyundai getz, though both of them are not comparable, do think over them after having a test drive or two(preferably).
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 00:53   #19
JRD
BHPian

hey..
i agree with equus..

i mean true 5 lacs is not bad for an accent.. but still its 5 lacs and you would expect something with atleast some decent features you know. and fact is that the GLE is a completely base model, i would consider taking a look at the petra 1.6, its quick and well built and comes with decent features. you wont need to change any rubber. its sufficient in the stock spec. and last i checked the petra was going for about 535 in ahmedabad.

also if you are not going to use the car a lot. the indigo is a good spacious car as well.
hope this helps
JRD.
JRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 01:17   #20
BHPian

take test drive of ikon-flair.5 lac-on road price.good driver's car, comparable good interior at that price.now ford has chaged their mentality and gives good sale service.you ask opinion of other members who has purchased in last one year
omvnbhatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 10:05   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
take test drive of ikon-flair.5 lac-on road price.good driver's car, comparable good interior at that price.now ford has chaged their mentality and gives good sale service.you ask opinion of other members who has purchased in last one year
@Prince : As quoted by omvnbhatt, the Ikon Flair is worth a look at. Ford is offerring a company discount in terms of Free insurance on the Ikon. I bought my Flair in Oct 2006, and with about 2.2K kms on the odo, am really happy with the car. As many others will vouch for, the rear seating on the Ikon is really good, and as far as the handling is concerned, its a Ford, so u can take it for granted. Features available include power steering, power windows, fog lamps and so on. After sales service so far have been a blessing to me, with Cauvery Ford people being ever so nice. A mail thanking them for the excellent service when i bought my car seems to have worked. While i am not saying Ford's A.S.S. has totally improved, is defintiely showing good signs as of now.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 10:10   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballkey
The Fiesta base model(1.4) and the Ford Fusion is around 5.5 too. Both new cars, and good power too. Ford's got some pretty interesting deals going on, with the season ending. Might be worth a glance...
AFAIK when I checked a month ago, the ex-showroom price of the base 1.4 Fiesta was like 5.75 lakhs. The Aveo base model was 5.95 lakhs. Add tax + insurance etc and it is much above 6lakhs. Not anywhere near his budget.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 10:41   #23
BHPian

I own an Accent GLE from the last 1 year and more than 5 months now. Covered 52,000 kms during this period. There is a general rumour Accent faces problems after 50,000 kms but I've not faced anything till now.

The noticeable drawbacks of Accent is the cabin noise which will tend to start increasing after 25,000 kms though not vey irritating. Since its an older generation car there's nothing much we can do on that.

I suggest one good option. The Bridgestone radials which comes with Accent is noisy. You can opt for Michelin XM1 tubeless radials which is comparatively much quieter and gives you a good fuel economy. I've changed two tyres to Michelin and very much satisfied. Tyres in Petrol Accent lasts long enough. I changed two tyres at 50,000 and the rest three are still going on and may last for another 15,000 kms. Maintenance costs are cheap. I've posted my experiences and expenses on the car in the review section.

If you're coming to Cochin very much welcome to see my car. Just make me a call and if I'm available the car is yours to test.

Cheers!!! All the best....

adarsh76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 10:43   #24
Senior - BHPian

If you need a boot then accent is a decent average car, quite popular in its day. If not then getz/swift both provide similar if not more interior space for lower prices and are more modern / contemporary, while accent is soon to be phased out model. Otherwise IMO you are not wrong in choice of accent for the price. I would prefer it over the ikon.

Maybe wait for Renault Logan?
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 11:03   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeep108 View Post
Otherwise IMO you are not wrong in choice of accent for the price. I would prefer it over the ikon.
Just curious to know why? I'm sure you've driven both, could you say which scores over the other if you consider the following -

1) Handling & stability (incl at high speeds)
2) Rear seat comfort
3) Fuel efficiency
4) Fun to drive factor
5) Equipment levels

And lets compare the right models - if I understand correctly, its the base Accent vs the Ikon 1.3

Last edited by suman : 13th December 2006 at 11:05.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 11:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Just a reminder of this gentleman's requirements:

Quote:
Originally Posted by prince_pervez View Post
1. I am planning to buy my first ever car.
2. my budget is limited to 5 Lakhs (could shell a few thousand more)
3. Hyundai Accent, an old model.... I can easily get it upto 510000
now. Also GLE is the only variant in production (or MTO).
4. I think why should i go for a small car when at a more or less
price i can own a big one?
5. I love the looks and the elegance it provides.
6. I know there are troubles after 50000 Kms in every Accent.
7. I will make that much distance (50k) in about 10 years from today(weekend driver).
8. I'm not interested in Esteem or Baleno.
9. Icon is out of production.
10. i'm looking for expert comments and opinions from experienced
Accent users, word of mouth.
11. If you can suggest me a better deal, then please Advise.

I think we should stick to telling him:

1. Does the Accent have issues post 50k.

2. Is there a better deal for 5 lakhs, considering all his requirements.

My answers:

1. No the Accent does not have issues post 50k provided it is maintained properly (ie., oil changes + engine flush @ 40k).

2. The only better deal at this price point (that you have not already considered) may be the Indigo considering Budget, Service, etc.

Since you know that you are going in for an old model and have no issues with it, go for it.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 11:18   #27
Senior - BHPian

1. Handling is better with ikon, but brakes are quite terrible and do not inspire confidence that the handling gives.
2. Never sat in the rear seat, but mostly should be about the same.
3. May be more in ikon since it is 1.3 engine, but accent 1.5 is not bad either.
4. The 1.6 ikon was most certainly more fun to drive, not too sure about the 1.3. So accent it is.
5. Not really compared equipment levels, since it is base model.

I know somebody who owned ikon, and I found it more unreliable (surge when lifting off the pedal, ECM failures, etc.) As a driver's car, ikon may be better, but as an overall package, accent is better. It has certainly been more popular than ikon as well.
sandeep108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 11:31   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
Is there a better deal for 5 lakhs, considering all his requirements.
The other deal at that price point is the Ikon Flair. It is not really possible to clearly say which is the better deal of the two, due to the differences between the two cars. I would say they are kind of balanced deals and it is the buyer's call to decide after test driving both.

P.S. : I am not sure where he got the GLE prices from, but to me they look impossible. The Pune ex-showroom prices are 5,36,106. Add tax + insurance on top of this. My friend bought his GLE 1.5 years ago for 5.8 lakhs on-road.

Ofcourse, Pune prices could be lower or there might be some offer on currently. But if he gets it at 5.1 lakh on road, that would be a super deal.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 11:37   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
4. The 1.6 ikon was most certainly more fun to drive, not too sure about the 1.3. So accent it is.
That's funny, "not sure" equates as Accent
Quote:
5. Not really compared equipment levels, since it is base model.
AFAIK its the Ikon which has better equipment levels since it comes in only one variant with power windows, fog lamps etc
Quote:
I know somebody who owned ikon, and I found it more unreliable (surge when lifting off the pedal, ECM failures, etc.)
One swallow does not a summer make.........do not agree about it being "unreliable" having owned one for almost six years; surge when lifting off the pedal to me does not signify unreliability........its more about driving style
Quote:
As a driver's car, ikon may be better, but as an overall package, accent is better. It has certainly been more popular than ikon as well.
Lets stick to the specific models & not generalize shall we (since he is restricted by price to 5 lacs)? To me the "overall" package would include equipment levels & all else.

Steeroid, let's not overlook the fact that the gentleman appeared to have taken Ikon off the list because he thought it was out of production.....as responsible citizens, I think we should tell him that its very much in production that's all

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
It is not really possible to clearly say which is the better deal of the two, due to the differences between the two cars. I would say they are kind of balanced deals and it is the buyer's call to decide after test driving both
I would tend to agree with SB's statement

Last edited by suman : 13th December 2006 at 11:44.
suman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th December 2006, 11:53   #30
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Steeroid, let's not overlook the fact that the gentleman appeared to have taken Ikon off the list because he thought it was out of production.....as responsible citizens, I think we should tell him that its very much in production that's all
Here, u have an ikon Flair owner who purchased his car just 2 months back, with no regrets so far. 2K kms on the odo is no big deal, but its mostly a weekend car for me. My Pulsar takes care of daily commuting.
On road price then : 5.49 Lakhs.
Current Mileage figures : 12-13+ in city (Read Bangalore traffic conditions, such as Hosur road, and Whitefield areas). Got 14.2 in city with almost no A/C usage, but thats a different story.

Let Prince make his decision, keeping in mind all these.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote