Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 10th January 2007, 14:59   #1
BHPian

Default Xsailor is back...& with a SOS!

Hey Gang!

It has been a while since I posted here..got really occupied with developing a few SPMs and moving into my new factory at the NSEZ. I have been following the forum off-&-on and have been itching to post...so here it is.

PS: With so many new threads and categories, I dare not offend the mods so I am following the sticky guide for this section;

Query: Looking to add a new 'horse to the stable' in the 7~8 L (tops..).

Cars short listed: Aveo/Fiesta/Fusion/Optra/Lancer

Price range : 7~8L

Maintenance & After Sales Service (A.S.S.) expectations: Currently own a 19M old Swift Vxi hence used to Maruti type ***. Expectations : Treat me like a king

Average distance traveled per month: 1000 kms

Where car will be mostly used (city / highway / rough roads etc): City and Noida expressway.

Chauffer driven / self driven: Self driven

Whether the vehicle will be shared by other members of family: By the wife, once in a while when 'her' Swift goes for service.

Any specific requirements from car (ex. Better luggage space, responsive engine, rear seat comfort): More power and Comfort.

How long you intend on keeping this car (and how important resale is to you): About 3~4 years.

Additional Inputs: NHC in any variant is out as the shape don't impress me. Fuel Economy of 10+ will do fine. Do not want a diesel motor. Since my drive stretch is pretty good (Sec15 to NSEZ and back), I usually get about 16 kmpl from my Swift; pointer for fuel economy. ABS would be nice. The front seat comfort should be better than the Swift - I love the car.

Waiting for all your suggestions.

Cheers
Xsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 15:02   #2
Team-BHP Support

simple - wait for new Baleno
ajmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 17:45   #3
Team-BHP Support

Or maybe the Chevy Optra 1.6 or the Ford Fiesta 1.6 as well? Personally love that Ford 1.6 motor. But dont expect the same A.S.S as Maruti. These are all good but Maruti and Hyundai A.S.S are quite some distance ahead.

The Aveo is a nice understated sedan but Chevys will miss out on resale value compared to the Ford

Last edited by theMAG : 10th January 2007 at 17:49.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 17:52   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
simple - wait for new Baleno
yep, i second that. Since you are used to maruti, wait for the new baleno before you take the plunge.
cheers
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 18:12   #5
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
yep, i second that. Since you are used to maruti, wait for the new baleno before you take the plunge.
cheers
i third that. methinks the new baleno is going to be a great car.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 20:00   #6
BHPian

How about the SRV? You mentioned you are looking at more power and comfort, which the SRV will provide for sure (101 bhp, around a sec quicker to 100 ) and suits your budget too.
If you can live with 2nd hand cars, the likes of the Octavia will make a great deal for 8 lakhs

Last edited by BunnyPunia : 10th January 2007 at 20:01.
BunnyPunia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th January 2007, 21:46   #7
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the New baleno is tailor-made for u!
nitrous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 08:20   #8
BHPian

Thanks guys.
Umm...The new Baleno...eh? What is proposed launch date?
I might not be able to wait beyond March 31 (you know why ).

I have only tried out the Fusion and Fiesta out of my list - Not very impressed with the front seat comfort on either of them.

Looking forward to trying out the Optra and Aveo. SRV is out as I need a 3 box automobile.
Any inputs on the above cars?

Cheers
Old 11th January 2007, 09:35   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

I am nobody to offer advice in this category, as i find myself qualified to be on the recieving end in this field, but i noticed one of your options thoroughly diregarded by the experts.
Lancer.

The Cedia is an awesome car, feels great to sit in and to drive, is solid, looks are timelessly beautiful. I am not comparing it to anything else, just my two cents. Please don't disregard it.

Last edited by Sam Kapasi : 11th January 2007 at 09:36.
Sam Kapasi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 09:45   #10
Team-BHP Support

Sam very very true. Cedia is the most underrated car. does everything right Even the mileage is very good.

Do consider it.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 09:48   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
The Cedia is an awesome car, feels great to sit in and to drive, is solid, looks are timelessly beautiful. I am not comparing it to anything else, just my two cents. Please don't disregard it.
But Sam, he wants something within 7~8 lacs. The Cedia would exceed that, right?
BTW, the Lancer is a good car too.
prabuddhadg is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 09:54   #12
Team-BHP Support

I believe the Cedia select is available at 8.28L ex-showroom. It's a little above the budget but worth a consider.
Vid6639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th January 2007, 11:16   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi View Post
I am nobody to offer advice in this category, as i find myself qualified to be on the recieving end in this field, but i noticed one of your options thoroughly diregarded by the experts.
Lancer.

Hi Sam - good to hear from you.

Cedia is a bit Over the budget but I am seriously looking at the Lancer - we (the company) own a 2000 model and I still find it an awesome drive.
If I am not mistaken, they have improved both the engine and the looks from circa 2000.

Let the suggestions keep pouring in.

Cheers
Old 11th January 2007, 12:10   #14
Team-BHP Support

You already have a Maruti, so you can get good deals on new Baleno. You also have a good rappo with the service center due to old association, so buy a Maruti which suits you.
After owning cars over all these years, I have discovered that a happy ownership experience is 30% due to the car and 70% due to the support given by your service center.
Other manufacturer who will keep you happy is Hyundai, but the Verna Petrol is not really a scorcher. You don't want a diesel, but if you are looking for performance the Verna crdi will run away from all midsizers below 10L save the VTEC.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote