Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 14th January 2007, 05:25   #1
Senior - BHPian

Lightbulb Indigo Marina - Is it a worthy buy ?

My friend plans to buy an Indigo Marina but some local folks are dissuading him from going for Marina and recommending Indigo. In India, we never had a history where estates have succeeded and estates like Tata Estate/Fiat Adventure were all flop shows !!!

As a result, he is now quite sceptical about Marina even though the price difference Indigo & Marina is quite miniscule. Although I like Marina very much, I'm stuck in a rut when it comes to decision making...

I've heard that Marina is having poorer handling & resale value when compared to Indigo. Is that true ?

What are the other cons of Marina ? (He knows about the general cons associated with Tata vehicles like engine refinement etc....)
mithun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 06:55   #2
BHPian

Marina is the same as that of Indigo, except for more room for luggages and optionally for extra passengers. My friend has one and I think he is a statisfied owner of Marina. But Indigo looks better when compared to Marina.

The deciding factor for you should be that whether you need that extra space.
goldsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 07:46   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

We have a Marina, and we are happy with it. One big reason we went for the Marina is the extra luggage space which we are making use of. Handling & performance wise, it is no different than the Indigo itself. The only change is the body style.

If your friend needs the extra luggage space, then he can definitely go for it. He also has options like the Adventure and to a certain extent, the Fusion - but both are petrols.

Last edited by condor : 14th January 2007 at 07:48.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 11:39   #4
BHPian

Out of Indigo and Marina , i would choose Marina any day, as it offers more space than the indigo ,for a very little price difference between the two, marina being higher.

Handling,performance,refinement levels are the same in the two cars..well almost. Indigo being a sedan is more aerodynamic in nature.
netarchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 14:43   #5
Senior - BHPian

Indigo is better than Marina because Indigo has better handling, resale value, fuel economny, better look. If your friend needs extra space ask him to go for marina else indigo diesel is good car.

If he is interested in Petrol ask him to go for Fiat Adventure its great SUV car.

Tata Petrol cars lack refinement so please be carefull if you want to buy Tata Petrol car.

If he like Marina ask him go for it, but if he does lot of highway crusing indigo is better than Marina.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 15:57   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The Marina initially took off as it offered far more space than the Indigo, at a little premium. However, the sales eventually dropped when people realised the disadvantage of carrying space around that they didnt need (parking, visibility, manouvering, FE etc.).

Question is...Does you friend need the extra boot space?
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 16:11   #7
BHPian

I would go for the Marina here.It looks better than the "stuck on" boot of the Indigo,has good load carrying capacity and is an overall step up in terms of image over the Indigo.Yes I know the general perception is that Estates/Station wagons dont do well in our country and the facts reiterate that.But so what?

I would consider the adventure/Altura/Marina over their sedan counterparts anyday purely because of their lifestyle image and looks.There would be slight differences in parameters like handling,fe,overall dynamics.And the Indigo would only be marginally better than the marina here.
Even if you consider things like parking,there wont be much difference between the lenghts of the two.That point can only be a consideration if you were comparing an Indica to the Marina.

So, if you want a piece of "lifestyle living", consider the Marina,its good VFM.If you want slightly better dynamics and resale value,consider the indigo.But please tell your friend to judge the two cars on merits rather than market perception.

Last edited by roms : 14th January 2007 at 16:23.
roms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 16:46   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The whole question is about his needs, rather than a direct comparison between the two...

Although, i like the Marina for its looks... Looks better than Indigo (Boot stuck to indica design)... But, even i wont own a marina if i had the two options, cause of the low resale value...

If i were given 5L right now, I'd go in for the baleno (Although its to be replaced... Xtreme VFM at 5.5L on road)
CrAzY dRiVeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 21:59   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
the disadvantage of carrying space around that they didnt need (parking, visibility, manouvering, FE etc.).
Have not really felt any problems in parking, visibility or FE. Have done 15 kmpl in BLR traffic, running on Shell Diesel

The one grouse I definitely have abt the Marina about facilities for ICE: It's got housing for two 4" speakers at the rear.
condor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th January 2007, 23:12   #10
BHPian

I have had a Marina for nearly a year now with 10,000 km on the ODO today with mostly city driving in Delhi. Reasons why i like it,
1. A different image
2. Looks better than the Indigo ( I think)
3. Space is like a tons of it... Great for weekend trips (me and a friend have actually spent a night in it as we could not get hotel rooms)
4. Drive satisfaction good... I have actually pushed it to 150kmpt on G Noida freeway and the car sticks to the road.

Cons ( after living with it for a year)

Difficult to clean .... rather a big job.
Rear suspention noise filters into the cabin and you need to live with it.
No third row option for sitting.
ritayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 08:25   #11
Senior - BHPian

I am a die hard fan for these estates. If your friend likes the marina, let him buy it. there is no better estate available in india than the marina. the indigo is a success, the marina is just the same, only looks much cooler.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 10:58   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
I would go for the Marina here.It looks better than the "stuck on" boot of the Indigo,has good load carrying capacity and is an overall step up in terms of image over the Indigo.I would consider the adventure/Altura/Marina over their sedan counterparts anyday purely because of their lifestyle image and looks.
So, if you want a piece of "lifestyle living", consider the Marina,its good VFM.
What is "lifestyle living" thing here WRT a station wagon ? IMO a sedan looks much better than a station wagon. I guess a sedan too provide enough luggage space for "life style living" part of it.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th January 2007, 20:29   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajay_J View Post
What is "lifestyle living" thing here WRT a station wagon ? IMO a sedan looks much better than a station wagon. I guess a sedan too provide enough luggage space for "life style living" part of it.
Ajay, no offence,but you first ask what a "lifestyle car" is ,and in the same breath you mention that a sedan is a good enough "lifestyle car".

Well,by lifestyle car,I did not mean more space.The word "lifestyle" is affixed to a car like Fiat Adventure because it is an unconventional car,its different from the norm.It gives you the impression that the owner is adventurous and someone who likes travelling a lot.Hence these "niche" cars have been termed as "lifestyle cars" by various mags.

In the case of the Adventure,you have all those various bits and bobs which give you the impression of a rough and tough car.In turn,the owner of the car would give the impression of this rough and tough guy ready to slug it out in mud,slush and travel anywhere on the drop of a hat.

But yes,in the case of a Marina,it does not have the character and is not as unconventional as the Fiat Adventure.But its still different from your everyday sedan.So you may or may not call it a "lifestyle car".

You like the sedan and i respect that opinion.I would rather have a Marina in one of those metallic blue shades and have some gorgeous shiny silver alloys stuck on it.Voila,you have a winner.

Last edited by roms : 15th January 2007 at 20:40.
roms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 12:33   #14
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by roms View Post
Ajay, no offence,but you first ask what a "lifestyle car" is ,and in the same breath you mention that a sedan is a good enough "lifestyle car".
Please read the post again. Okay let me copy it below here -
"What is "lifestyle living" thing here WRT a station wagon ?"

My question is what is so "lifestyle living" about "station wagon only".
I have not said "any car"...I was refering only to station wagon. Anyway I understand your answer, Thanks for explaining.
Ajay_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th January 2007, 12:41   #15
BHPian

I dont think Marina is really worth buying. Its the same indigo engine with same power and still a bigger body which makes the car sluggish.

moreover India is not really for the "Stationwagon" cars except the Tata Estate which was initially a hit but then failed misreably later on

Regards
rajismine is offline   Reply With Quote