Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 14th February 2007, 11:18   #16
Team-BHP Support

Verna crdi is your best bet, apart from the NHC.
These two cars are extremely comfortable to drive, Fuel efficient and crdi gives you great performance too.
Toyota Corolla is a nice car and stripped down will cost you around 9 on road(base version) but since it will be replaced soon resale may be an issue after 5 years.
On the service front Maruti and Hyundai are the best.
tsk1979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 11:18   #17
Senior - BHPian

Verna CRDi seems to be the best option for you. Forget the looks and the lack of features - it caters to areas which are important for you.

Forget the Baleno - though comfortable, it does have pretty low seating.

If you can wait a couple of months more, then you could decide after having a look at the Logan.

Or get a Swift Diesel for your dad and get a used OHC/Baleno/Lancer for yourself with the spare cash and mod it
shuvc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 11:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Verna CRDi seems to be the best option for you. Forget the looks and the lack of features - it caters to areas which are important for you.

Forget the Baleno - though comfortable, it does have pretty low seating.

If you can wait a couple of months more, then you could decide after having a look at the Logan.

Or get a Swift Diesel for your dad and get a used OHC/Baleno/Lancer for yourself with the spare cash and mod it
My dad would kick on my bUtt if I talk about swift or any hatch, and he knows that I am planning for a OHC some time in August or september. Its something like this for my dad: "I get a small car and you a big one "

Quote:
Originally Posted by kutlee View Post
Hi KK,
I seriously doubt whether there is a ready made choice for you other than Baleno. I have seen a silvre one still lying with Varun motors. Go grab it. I think it should be comfortable than Hyundai cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by himanshugoswami View Post
I recently drove my baleno for 500 KMS over one weekend- No fatigue or strain- the car is a delight to drive over long distances.

being a Maruti spares and service will not be an issue

The Baleno VXI comes with height adjustible seats- check it out. Overall the space is far greater than an accent and indigo, leave alone the indica.
showed this to my father, he laughed at me saying he is 53 and you are 3* ..... lol.

But Baleno doesnt come with a ABS.
Am I getting bit paranoid regarding the ABS???. I some how feel ABS is a must for a car which goes beyond 60KMPH.
Anyways, we will go for a test drive next week.

I am sure my father is going to like baleno as far as the driving pleasure is concerned. My father like to rip in the second and third gear, more often in the second gear, even in the city in our indica and poor thing screams in pain.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 12:00   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
showed this to my father, he laughed at me saying he is 53 and you are 3* ..... lol.
That is why I compared my 500 KM drive to your father's 200KM

Actually, one car I would have suggested for your father, had it not been for the A.S.S. issue is the Fiat Adventure/Petra. The top end Petra can be ordered with ABS. But A.S.S. is still a sorry affair even with Tata- I should know- I own a palio as well :-S

Happy car hunting!
himanshugoswami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 12:08   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

the City should soon be available with abs/airbag and a new badging (like zx gxi or so they have now). Check with your honda dealer.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 12:17   #21
Senior - BHPian

If the corolla fits your budget, then it is the perfect choice as said by N_C. if not NHC will be the best bet.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 12:21   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

if corolla fits wont cedia select fit?
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 12:25   #23
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
id regarding the ABS???. I some how feel ABS is a must for a car which goes beyond 60KMPH.
All cars in India go beyond 60Kmph
ABS gives you ability to steer while hard-braking. Thats it. (There is a separate thread on this topic). Though its a good safety feature, few cars come with it in around 8L budget.

Elantra, Fiesta, Aveo, Accent (if they are still selling) have ABS as option and are within your budget. Else, you can stretch your budget & go for Corolla, Optra 1.8LT or Cedia, which have ABS as standard.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 13:03   #24
BHPian

I would suggest the NHC for you as well based on your Price point. (The Verna CRDi would be higher as the base version is wihout ABS or an ICE)

With your constraints it might be only the NHC. only negetive i found is that it does not take too kindly to bad roads...

The Verna CRDi might just be a better car but IMHO they have priced it too high. just 25K less than a Scorpio ! I think they plan to lower the prioces and start giving discounts only by June.. on it
sh@rpshooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 13:10   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aseem View Post

Swift Diesel is your answer.

Indigo Lx DICOR or the Indigo Limo DICOR:

Maruti Baleno:

Hyundai Accent Petrol:

Hyundai Accent Crdi:

Hyundai Verna CRDI:

Hyundai Verna Petrol:

Honda City ZX:

Chevrolet Optra:

Chevrolet Aveo:

Hope this helps you in some way.

I think the poor chap will be EVEN more confused now.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 13:23   #26
BHPian

One thing that the NHC has which no other car has in this price range is a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission). Both the Optra & Corolla AT are above 10 lacs, I think.

Honda City ZX - Technology - CVT

For bumper-to-bumper traffic, I'd say that's the best bet.
Otherwise, the Verna CRDi is the one to go after.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 13:51   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Why not take some time and testdrive all the choices to see which one meets your requirements (mainly your Dad's) best ? Ask 100 people and you will get 100 opinions.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 14:43   #28
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
I think the poor chap will be EVEN more confused now.
Had aseem only mentioned the names i would have been confused, but he backed it with nice right-up. Infact I am able to cut down the list, which help me deciding better.

Also reading through all the replies, i have cut down to:
1. Hyundai verna crdi. (i am already dreaming about petefied verna )

2. Maruti Baleno. (only grouse is it doesnt come with an ABS)

3. Chevy Aveo. ( this one made it to the list because of the optional ABS, yet to be decided after taking some feedback about the GM A.$.$. in Hyderabad).

NHC - dad refused to even have a test drive of it. According to him it looks like a big rodent!!! - ruled out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by msdivy View Post
Elantra, Fiesta, Aveo, Accent (if they are still selling) have ABS as option and are within your budget. Else, you can stretch your budget & go for Corolla, Optra 1.8LT or Cedia, which have ABS as standard.
Never heard that elantra was a good buy!!! Anyways the elantra petrol with ABS is 8,42,937/- ex-showroom, hyderabad.
Corolla/Cedia - when i heard that these fit into 8lakhs budget, all i could do is drool over the idea. But our budget of 8 lakhs is for on road price.

May be the Cedia select EX with 8,28,000/- ex-showroom price, if excessive discounts are possible, it might come into our budget.
But corolla, the base HE version ex-showroom price in hyd is 8,91,800/-.

One more thing does the Cedia Select Ex comes with an ABS?? I could not make it out from their website. Also what about mitsibushi's A.$.$ in hyderabad and also the availability and cost of spares. Please share your experieces.
One more thing, cedia has front and rear disk breaks!!!, does it help if the ABS isnt there??
Now the cedia into the list, its too tempting.

Is the verna on par with Elantra/corolla/cedia???. If even near to them, then i have vote for verna.
Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
Why not take some time and testdrive all the choices to see which one meets your requirements (mainly your Dad's) best ? Ask 100 people and you will get 100 opinions.
You are right, but lucky me. I am able to cut down the list.
Now we can have test drive of fewer vehicles.

Last edited by kkr2k2 : 14th February 2007 at 14:54.
kkr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 14:57   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2 View Post
Never heard that elantra was a good buy!!! Anyways the elantra petrol with ABS is 8,42,937/- ex-showroom, hyderabad.
Elantra GTi (with ABS/Airbags is 8L on road in Bangalore ! Check this and this. But GTi may not have all features you need. From what I have heard its a very good car, but FE in the range of 9Kmpl.
Quote:
Is the verna on par with Elantra/corolla/cedia???. If even near to them, then i have vote for verna.
Elantra/corolla/cedia are bigger, longer, wider and more powerful than Verna.

Last edited by msdivy : 14th February 2007 at 14:58.
msdivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th February 2007, 15:04   #30
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkr2k2
Maruti Baleno. (only grouse is it doesnt come with an ABS)
More than the ABS, I feel the low seating might be inconvenient for your Dad - you might not find it bad though. Spares will not be an issue for years to come, but since it is in its last stages, you should not feel bad later that just after you bought it, a new model came out. If you can live with that, its a nice buy.

Quote:
NHC - dad refused to even have a test drive of it. According to him it looks like a big rodent!!! - ruled out.
Well, I agree with him about the looks, but not doing a test drive could be a mistake. Its city driveability is supposed to be good and spacious too. And looks anyway grow on you when you own the car, whatever car you buy. And BTW, when he can digest the Verna's looks, the NHC should be a cake-walk (atleast the ZX) IMO.

Quote:
The FE might not be to your liking for the petrol version. Check with some owners first.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote