Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 8th April 2007, 00:11   #1
BHPian

Default Help me choose a car >>

hello friends...

I have decided to buy a car in 7-8 lakhs bracket with +50000 maximum upper limit. I have planned to take a diesel though i don't drive much every month, im not concerned about the initial cost of the car. i will be driving about 500- 700kms per month average. i have short listed hyundai verna cdri, ford fiesta tdci, new baleno diesel. I like to have good performance, mileage and comfort. Nothing else matters. I would like to hear your opinion on which car to buy.
I thought i would go for the new higher version of verna that will be released in may or should i go for fiesta/baleno. I have to get the car at my home before June 15th. Thats the dead line. So kindly advice me accordingly.
i like the looks of verna, fiesta and Honda city. will Honda city make difference other than being a petrol car...
drsvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 08:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Petrol suits you for your requirment however If you really want to go for Diesel Car wait for Verna D top end which will be released next month.

Right now Verna Diesel has no goodies in it. Waiting for top end is worth.

Fiesta is not so worth car. Check out newly launched Logan its spacious good car. Baleno might be good but Maruti/Suzuki good for economy/small cars with minor issues sometimes.

Regards,

Ravi.
ravibhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 10:44   #3
Team-BHP Support

By virtue of merit the Verna CRDi engine finishes on top. The Fiesta diesel is refined but underpowered. And Maruti does not intend to lauch a diesel Baleno initially according to news reports from last month.

Due to your low running, I would suggest the Verna CRDi might have a slight edge on acc of Hyundai's economical A.S.S compared to the Ford's.
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 16:55   #4
BHPian

thanks guys for your response.. i will go for the high end verna crdi..
Old 8th April 2007, 17:31   #5
Senior - BHPian

Go or the Fiesta.
It may not be as powerfull but it is still quite decent.
It also rides better, is better looking (IMHO), handles better and is much much more stable than the Verna.
Also, the Fiesta has better brakes and gives a better FE though it may not be as powerful or big as the Verna.
It makes no sense owning a powerful car for daily use and specially one that can't handle the power.
Cheers
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 17:50   #6
Senior - BHPian

Verna. Varna tum pachtaoge!

Seriously - given your requirements there's nothing else to recommend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
I thought i would go for the new higher version of verna that will be released in may
Whats THAT?
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 18:04   #7
BHPian

yup verna! vroo oom!
doctorkats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 19:20   #8
BHPian

Take test drive. You ill notice that fiesta is best in handling but has poor ride. It s' difficult to get in and out from rear without b[FONT='Times New Roman']ruising somewhere[/FONT]. The gears and clutch are not refined.

The verna moves like a breeze it has got good gear, refined engine and it is roomier than fiesta. But it doesnt handle like fiesta. Ride is a bit better than fiesta.
swathyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 20:06   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swathyd View Post
Take test drive. You ill notice that fiesta is best in handling but has poor ride.
Thank you - thats a lot more refreshing than posts which claim that it has better ride AND better handling. One of the two has to be worse and yes better 'handling' means a compromised ride. I think you've given a very clinical 2-line analysis there.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 20:32   #10
Senior - BHPian

For a 500-700 kms average Petrol makes sense. Any reasons other than the fuel cost factor?

For sheer economical sense in the Petrol, the Honda City is best. Good mileage, very low maintenance and good resale value.

If it's got to be the diesel, Verna Diesel makes sense. Take a look at some of the threads which talk about the Fiesta. Cost factors will be a consideration in Ford.
csentil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 22:09   #11
Senior - BHPian

of course it will be nowhere in the league but the Logans just around the corner, check it out too. I would go for the Verna only because its power. I found the handling in a verna very shabby and the brakes were not confidence inspiring at the least. Maybe changing the shocks to get a stiffer ride( but this would bring us back to zero as the ride quality would then be nearly same as in the ford) and new wider shoes would make a difference but then you're talking big cost here again. The ford on the other had is a driver's car. Nice to handle but a bit stiffer ride than the verna. Also, the verna is more roomier of the two. The fords power will really matter in the highway. In the city, they're both on parallel ground. Mileage is good on both the cars.
Ther fact remains that on the highway, the verna's excess horses show as against the lack of these in the ford.
V-16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 22:15   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
One of the two has to be worse and yes better 'handling' means a compromised ride.
Hmmm...do you mean only in this case, or always?
v1p3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th April 2007, 23:20   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drsvijay View Post
hello friends...

I have decided to buy a car in 7-8 lakhs bracket with +50000 maximum upper limit. I have planned to take a diesel though i don't drive much every month, im not concerned about the initial cost of the car. i will be driving about 500- 700kms per month average. i have short listed hyundai verna cdri, ford fiesta tdci, new baleno diesel. I like to have good performance, mileage and comfort.
The answer is right there in your list of probables.It has to be the Verna.Its certainly not a perfect package,but that mind blowingly fantastic CrDi overshadows everything else.If there is indeed a top end diesel verna being launched, wait for it.
The ride is good, nothing outstanding,but comfortable enough.The handling is much beter than the petrol version of the verna.But it can be scary at high speeds with the stock tyres and brakes.

Buy the Verna diesel with the ABS option.You get rear discs with that one.And upgrade the tyres.These two things should be on your priority list.

Recently on a Fiat Club meet, we had a member driving a Verna CRDI with ABS.The stopping power was so good, it almost got us in a 4 car pile up.
roms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th April 2007, 15:03   #14
BHPian

fine guys.. thanx for ur responses....

I will wait for the top end version of the diesel model..

Actually i thought i will go for Honda city, but my bro seems to hate its look and says diesel is better as its economical. Only these reasons make me choose diesel. Think 20 rupee fuel difference shouldnt keep honda out of the circle. Is honda coming with a upgraded version?
Old 9th April 2007, 15:12   #15
BHPian

Either honda city if petrol or verna high end diesel version if diesel wil be my option.