Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 24th April 2007, 19:54   #16
BHPian

How about the Toyota Hilander, built on the reilable Camry's platform.
It has a 4x4 option. It takes the Sun and the Rain. It is spacious and it is easy to drive as well.

In Seattle, I found the Hilander a pleasure... and I think a hybrid option is also available....check it out!!
raajks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 20:09   #17
BHPian

I am going to add a few Quirky cars to the equation

1. Honda Element. Very frugal and very maintainable. The new version looks a little more city concious

2. Dodge Nitro/Dodge Caliber

3. Mazda 5

4.Jeep Patriot/Jeep Compass

5. Scion XD (If on Sale i think it goes on sale in Aug)

6. Ford Edge and Ford Fusion ( it is based on the Mazda 6 Chassis and considered to be dynamically brilliant chassis)

My choices of cars are priced between 15K to 25K $ and the personal favorite is the Element.

If you are open to certified used cars i am sure you can find a nice CRV or a toyota Rav 4 for a good price

Check out Auto Reviews, New Cars, Used Cars & Car Prices: New Car Test Drive for research on cars sold in North America

Last edited by sreedotk : 24th April 2007 at 20:13. Reason: added a website for researching on Cars
sreedotk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 20:46   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sreedotk View Post
I am going to add a few Quirky cars to the equation
inspite of large size, element has 4-seating only. i can't carry more than one guest . and both element and scion have the box shape which is a little difficult to digest.

chrysler family is mostly heavy on MPG.

ford does have some interesting options though.
vivekiny2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 20:52   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raajks View Post
and I think a hybrid option is also available....check it out!!
at 34K+? i wish i could.
Old 24th April 2007, 21:58   #20
BHPian

I added the Element because you were considering the Honda Fit /Jazz.
sreedotk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th April 2007, 22:28   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekiny2k View Post
Mazda seems to have a wide range of vans. this weekend is going to be busy for me. lots of test drives
Mazda is a good brand to explore - the CX-7 is a very capable car - I drove it on a a Slalom course and it handles very well and the 2.4L turbo mill is efficient and powerful. The Edge, it's corporate cousin is based on the CX-7s platform but has the less than stellar Ford V6.

The Mazda 5 is a very different car - Seating for 7 but not as big as a minivan and not as thirsty either. It's pretty well priced and again, you could get leather, nav etc. for south of 25K.
vcash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 00:06   #22
BHPian

the mazda 5 is a decent mini van (its smaller and sits lower so looks more sporty compared to a chevy uplander or toyota sienna) and the engine is very peppy, redlines at 8k RPM!!!

the cx-7 seems to be getting good reviews but i have not driven it...yet
cheap_deal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 00:49   #23
BHPian

first thing...whats the budget limit?
CaliAtenza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 00:59   #24
BHPian

From what u'r describing it seems to me that you want something thats either a MINIVAN/SUV/STATION WAGON but not as big or gas burning then u might want to consider the Mazda 5.

The pic is to give you an idea of how big it is. As you can see its not as big as a minivan nor as small as a fit.
Its similar to but just a little bit bigger than the Toyota Matrix. It has a bigger engine too.

Here's a link to the Mazda 5. Its not as big as it looks in the images but its not small either. It'll definitely give you a better gas mileage than any SUV or MINIVAN.
MazdaUSA - Wireless Tour

I hope the mods don't have a prob with me posting an online link here. Unless they consider this as spamming
Good luck with your car hunt.
highwayblaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 01:13   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliAtenza View Post
first thing...whats the budget limit?
25K, mentioned in the first post.
Old 25th April 2007, 02:05   #26
BHPian

Quote:
@THE-U, there is really no logic here. i am trying to keep my options open. trust me, if any of camry, accord, altima etc had a wagon, i would have taken it. I hate to burn fuel in a van like sienna when i don't need it most of the time. and galant has to go, for the problems it has been having.
I think you are limiting yourself by this FE criteria. Mazda 5 is rated for 22 City and 27 Highway. In mixed driving you will be lucky to get 23 or 24.

Sienna I think is rated 19/26 with its 265bhp 3.5L V6 engine and in mixed driving you will get 21 mpg. There is some difference but not much. Of course, if you don't like sliding doors that is a completely different issue.

I would recommend the Subaru Outback Wagon and also the Forester that iraghava recommended earlier if a minivan is a big no no. The Outback Wagon is rated for 22/28 and it is also AWD. Personally, I would prefer the Outback to Forester because the Outback has better drivability and will be more stable on the highway.

Good Luck in your choice. I am not sure whether you have seen the following link earlier, but for no haggle pricing look at the following dealer. They are in Maryland and I have never bought from them, but I hear they are very professional. They have most makes.

Fitzgerald Auto Malls | All vehicles have discounted, full delivered, no haggle prices!
THE-U- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 02:37   #27
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@iraghava, not sure about the long term reliability and resale prices subaru, will check out anyway.
Vivek - AFAIK the Subaru's are reasonably priced, well equipped & have pretty good resale value. Their reliability is also quite good, even if the build quality is somewhat inferior to the Germans.

Test Drive one I think you might just like it.
iraghava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 03:15   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

I second Hwy blaze. I rented the Mazda5 in Minneapolis recently for 2-3 days. Its not super roomy or anything like a Sienna but a hoot to drive. The handling and steering is like a sports car. typical Mazda.

Highlander starts at 28K will come up to 32 out the door. Rav4 is a better option.

Vinay, let me get this right. You want 4wd, 5+ seating capacity and good FE too?
Mpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th April 2007, 03:45   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post

Vinay, let me get this right. You want 4wd, 5+ seating capacity and good FE too?
umm, it's vivek.

4WD is desirable,

5+ seating is also desirable, but not that much.

by good FE, i mean i will prefer rav 4 to nissan xterra because i don't need off roading capabilities and high ground clearance. if it drops to 25 because of cargo and seating, it's acceptable.

I will most probably take a 4 cyl engine rather than a 6 cyl because i don't need it. that's as far as the environmental consciousness goes.

slightly off topic, if i turn 4WD off, will i get the same FE as 2WD?

another car on my list to check out is mitsubishi outlander.
Old 25th April 2007, 03:48   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iraghava View Post
Vivek - AFAIK the Subaru's are reasonably priced, well equipped & have pretty good resale value. Their reliability is also quite good, even if the build quality is somewhat inferior to the Germans.

Test Drive one I think you might just like it.
sure,

in case you are wondering, I am using 5 year ownership cost since it uses depreciation, fuel costs etc.

2007 Subaru Outback - Prices - MSN Autos

Last edited by vivekiny2k : 25th April 2007 at 03:49.