Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 18th May 2007, 15:04   #16
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sivadas View Post
And here is the problem with Flair which happened with couple of my friends:
Once you put the heater on and then try to put it onto cooler side, A/c stopped working. they had to switch off the engine completely and start again to make it normal.
Sivadas, that is the same problem which some of the members here have also pointed out, check out the Technical Section thread for that.

I own a Flair myself, but never venture to trying out the heater, as firstly i dont require a heater (prefer A/C even in winters) and maybe because this thought lingers in my head too. I feel a heater is not required in Kerala conditions, though.

Is that the only reason stopping you from looking at the Flair?
benbsb29 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th May 2007, 17:00   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Is that the only reason stopping you from looking at the Flair?
I know that Flair is a capable car. As I mentioned in the first post, the suspension is soft and can scrape humps at times. And what about power?
I am spoiled by Petra.
sivadas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 09:02   #18
BHPian

Quote:
We need larger boot area as there are good chances that my father in-law will use it to ferry items like coconut, banana etc occasionally.
You need a lot of space for that! Fusion has enough space for that & maybe something more. But i'm surprised that you being a Fiat Owner, have not considered the Adventure at all
arif_t01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 21:23   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
But i'm surprised that you being a Fiat Owner, have not considered the Adventure at all
Me too, Sivadas; you should be seriously considering Adventure. The ride is good enough and you do not have to care about speed breakers or bad roads. It has enough space to carry things like Coconut, Arecunut, Banana etc. to Kannur market also.

Wind
Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th May 2007, 22:17   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by arif_t01 View Post
You need a lot of space for that! Fusion has enough space for that & maybe something more. But i'm surprised that you being a Fiat Owner, have not considered the Adventure at all
I dont mind another fiat. But with Adventure, I am getting exactly same (agree that exterior is little different) driving experience as Petra. Same engine, seats, controls, gear, view etc. Tha is not good I will go for Linea or something of that sort.
And I expect Fusion's 100 BHP duratec engine to give driving experience that is comparable with Petra.
Old 22nd May 2007, 10:30   #21
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I know that Flair is a capable car. As I mentioned in the first post, the suspension is soft and can scrape humps at times. And what about power?
I am spoiled by Petra.
I guess after driving the Petra, you would feel the slight loss of power when driving the Flair with A/C switched on. Its more a question of getting used to it. I compensate by working the gears. Even i feel that the rear of the car sinks a bit when loaded with 5 adults, but i do increase the air in the tyres if i know of such a need coming up. With 4 adults, i think it fares quite well.

As for luggage carrying capacity, the 450 litres boot should suffice.
Do test drive the Flair and take your friends along too, so you should have a fair idea then. Ask me if you need any further help/info.
Old 23rd May 2007, 08:42   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
I guess after driving the Petra, you would feel the slight loss of power when driving the Flair with A/C switched on. Its more a question of getting used to it. I compensate by working the gears. Even i feel that the rear of the car sinks a bit when loaded with 5 adults, but i do increase the air in the tyres if i know of such a need coming up. With 4 adults, i think it fares quite well.

As for luggage carrying capacity, the 450 litres boot should suffice.
Do test drive the Flair and take your friends along too, so you should have a fair idea then. Ask me if you need any further help/info.
I am very familiar with Flair as I travel in it at least once in a week-my close friend is having it (look at this 2 yr old thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...iat-petra.html (How Ford/Flair hijacked Fiat/Petra?)). I have driven it multiple times and will definitely consider it though I like Fusion more
Quote:

Me too, Sivadas; you should be seriously considering Adventure. The ride is good enough and you do not have to care about speed breakers or bad roads. It has enough space to carry things like Coconut, Arecunut, Banana etc. to Kannur market also.

Wind
I know that you know Kannur market very well
Old 23rd May 2007, 08:55   #23
BHPian

Looking at all your requirements and since SX4 is out of the budget, Fusion is the best choice. PVS has opened a new showroom at Kannur, and the feed back on service is good. Yes it is slightly higher om maintenance and parts but these dont happen in the first 3 to 5 years. But its good value for money with all the goodies it come with. Look at the Xi version of Verna also(dont know what the OTR in Kerala is!)
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd May 2007, 10:10   #24
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am very familiar with Flair as I travel in it at least once in a week-my close friend is having it (look at this 2 yr old thread http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...iat-petra.html (How Ford/Flair hijacked Fiat/Petra?)). I have driven it multiple times and will definitely consider it though I like Fusion more
Nice of you to bring up that thread Sivadas. I being a Flair owner would agree the Petra is a better car, but at the price the flair comes, its not bad either. Sadly, its no more available.

Fusion would be a good choice, specially for the roads in Kerala where you may be required to step out of the road for an ailing KSTRC bus to pull by. The added ground clearance would definitely be a bonus.

Anyways, looking forward to the decision both you and your friend finally make.
Old 23rd May 2007, 23:06   #25
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post
Looking at all your requirements and since SX4 is out of the budget, Fusion is the best choice. PVS has opened a new showroom at Kannur, and the feed back on service is good. Yes it is slightly higher om maintenance and parts but these dont happen in the first 3 to 5 years. But its good value for money with all the goodies it come with. Look at the Xi version of Verna also(dont know what the OTR in Kerala is!)
Hey Abhilash, that was the fist post supporting Fusion. Thanks for backing me on my fist choice.
Old 24th May 2007, 01:43   #26
Senior - BHPian

Hey benny boy, since you seem to be the spokesman for ford, is the 1.8D still available & if it is, wouldn't that be a good option here ? It has a fantastic AC & returns a good FE. It would be very sad though if it has been discontinued.
esteem_lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 02:51   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

wait for Fusion 1.4TDCi
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th May 2007, 09:30   #28
BHPian

Fusion 1.4 TDCi will be a great car, but the pricing will be in the range of 6.6 L ex showroom. So that might not suit the budget.

Sivadas, if you can stretch the budget to say approx 7.2 L OTR Kerala, then that will be the best choice....
Old 24th May 2007, 10:03   #29
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by esteem_lover View Post
Hey benny boy, since you seem to be the spokesman for ford, is the 1.8D still available & if it is, wouldn't that be a good option here ? It has a fantastic AC & returns a good FE. It would be very sad though if it has been discontinued.
Hehe.. thats a good one !!
Sadly, the 1.8D is no longer available on the Ikon. Has been discontinued to pave the way for the Fiesta TDCi. With reports from fellow members on it being underpowered, I do not know if it would be a good choice.

Quote:
Fusion 1.4 TDCi will be a great car, but the pricing will be in the range of 6.6 L ex showroom. So that might not suit the budget.
Makes sense to wait on for the Fusion 1.4TDCi if the requirement is not immediate. The article in the TOI Bangalore edition speculated the ex-showroom price around 5.7lakhs, so in Kerala i believe it should be available within 6.5 lakhs. However, it would make its appearance only in the third quarter of 2007.

Last edited by benbsb29 : 24th May 2007 at 10:07.
Old 24th May 2007, 15:07   #30
BHPian

[The article in the TOI Bangalore edition speculated the ex-showroom price around 5.7lakhs, so in Kerala i believe it should be available within 6.5 lakhs.]
5.7 L is the ex showroom price of the fUSION 1.6 petrol . So the 6.5 L is the speculated ex showroom price for the TDCi Fusion (IMO it should be a lakh more than the petrol version like the difference in Fiesta). To that add additional 60 to 70 K for insurance and Road tax. Especially the road tax in Kerala is increased from Rs.18,800 (cars up to 1600cc) to 6% (+ CESS)of the cost of the vehicle.