Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 29th May 2007, 13:07   #1

Default New B segment Car or Logan

Hi Every one
I want to buy a new car. My budget is upto 4.5 lacs.
Now i have been trying to know more and more about the available options but still i am unable to make out, what should i buy.
I have checked the new spark, palio, estilo and also checked santro.
Also in the options i have Aveo U-Va and Wagon R.
Now i am a bit confused what i should buy..
Now i have heard that Logan is also starting at the same range...

So can you all help me with this ???

I want a car that gives me very good performance and also the maintainence and running should not be high.
anmolbhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 13:49   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbhatia View Post
I want a car that gives me very good performance and also the maintainence and running should not be high.
I would say Swift LXi fits into requirements well.
For better performance there is Palio 1.6 Stile. But overall i would say Swift is a better package.
Logan is overpriced for what it offers.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 13:50   #3
BHPian

Apart from the cost aspect, you need to consider what your needs are? Do you need a boot? If not, then maybe B+ segment would be ideal for you as it would not involve compromising on interior space.

You have the Getz, Swift and U-Va (in random order) to choose from.
risga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 13:55   #4
BHPian

Swift Lxi or Indica Turbo. Swift LDi if you can stretch a bit. Nogan.
ballkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:14   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Wont the Swift Vxi fit into 4.5L bracket after discount??
Technocrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:23   #6
Team-BHP Support

The only Logan worth considering would have been the diesel - which is beyond your stated budget.

If city driving: any of the B segmenters: Santro/Spark/Wagon R Duo

City-highway driving: Swift Vxi, Palio 1.6
theMAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:31   #7
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Since you are upgrading from a Maruti 800, I dont think an entry-level sedan will be good for you. Except for the size, it will feel as spartan as the 800.

Unless you really need the boot, a high-end hatch like the Swift will be perfect. More space, power, refinement and luxury than the 800.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:31   #8
BHPian

@anmol, the swift vxi fits into your budget (< 4.5L OTR after discounts) and has all that's necessary to ensure a comfortable and peppy ride. IMHO, you should stay away from the logan - the variant that you get for 4.5L+ lacks some basic features like power steering. The Spark and U-VA have received good reviews from T-BHPians too, so you could look at them too.

IMHO, if you really need a car with a boot, you can look at the Indigo Petrol, but otherwise a B(+) segment hatch would be your best bet.
spindoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 14:46   #9
BHPian

My suggestion will be Wagon R Vxi.Good performance, low on maintenence and low running costs. If you are fine with the looks of Estilo, you can consider that as well. Logan is not recommended because the 1.4 litre one is low on efficiency and you dont get any goodies with in the 4.5 L bracket...(I donno whats the price on Delhi!)
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 16:37   #10

Thanks a lot for your replies..
Swift Lxi and Palio 1.6 Stile might cost me more than my budget.
I can spend upto 4.5 (which means 4.5 is the on road price)

All my friends are tellin me that Zen estilo is not a good looking car. But how is the car performance wise ??
Also is Indica Turbo a good option ?? I have heard that all Indica Cars have problem of AC.
Kindly suggest..
anmolbhatia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 17:00   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
All my friends are tellin me that Zen estilo is not a good looking car. But how is the car performance wise ??
The Estilo is actually a disappointment, with the WagonR bettering it in some areas. Nope, Tata cars dont have any air-con problems.

I do think that a Swift will fit within 4.5. If you dont want to stretch, testdrive the Santro and Indica Turbo. The former is one of the best hatches while the latter offers class-leading space, comfort and economy.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 17:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

anmol, the LXi version of the Swift should fit in yur budget, I believe. With you location reading as Delhi, do check out the quote on the same. What you would lose out on are power windows, wheel caps, and the likes, but you could always spruce up your ride later on.

Estilo is actually an insult to the Zen brand, and the less of it I see, the happier I am. Newspapers claim the car is a major hit, but thankfully, the numbers in Bangalore dont really do justice to those tall claims.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 18:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

I am sure Swift LXi will fit into your udget, thats why i didnt recommend the VXi.
However if it doesnt, i think you should go ahead with the top level version of either WagonR or Santro. Personally i would say WagonR. Being a Maruti its kind of an all rounder. Doesnt excel in one particular area, but does most things well.

The Zen Estilo is a worse car than wagonR, with tremendous amount of body roll and very flimsy build. Straight line performance is decent though.

Last edited by DCEite : 29th May 2007 at 18:19.
DCEite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 18:40   #14
Team-BHP Support

Anmol, now that you have settled on the hatch territory let me tell you a secret that is known to everyone here. How do you know that the Swift Lxi won't fit into your budget? Did you get a quote from any dealer? The trick in this market is to bargain like there is no tomorrow. You can simply quote one dealer against the other (don't bother with truths and lies at times). You will be amazed at the kind of deal you can get.

By the way, here are the new delhi prices for Swift

Swift Petrol Lxi - 3,96,275
Swift Lxi Petrol Immobilizer - 3,99,990

I think the on road price for Swift will be far lesser than what you budgeted because I think you may manage to get the actual car for less t han the above quoted price (dealer discount, corporate discount, finance discount, mummy discount, papa discount... blah blah blah).
Zappo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th May 2007, 19:00   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anmolbhatia View Post
Anmol, if you need performance, it will be Palio 1.6 Stile, but for that you need to stretch your budget of 4.5 lacs to 4.8 lacs approx.

Else Palio 1.1 Stile is not bad either, it is doesn't give you Performance but will deliver Mileage, Ride & Handling, Build quality, Space. Looks and Average A** by Tata-Fiat.

You can also check-out the Review of Palio Stile 1.1 by a new owner here: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/new-in...km-review.html
finneyp is online now   Reply With Quote