I am on the lookout for a
Quote:
sedan
Ford Fiesta
Quote:
estate
Fiat Palio Adventure
Quote:
(not interested in bootless hatchbacks).
So, why not one with a REAL BOOT? FUSION! With the imminent launch of Diesel Fusion next week, you could get a very good bargain for the petrol model or better still lets wait and see whether they lower the price
Quote:
My travel is limited to, say, about 200-300 km per month, mostly in a small town, plus occasional trips to Chennai (75 km one way), yearly once/twice travel to hometown in Kerala (600 km, one way).
Quote:
(I may switch to LPG/CNG if petrol price heads still north!).
With this much low mileage per month, i don't think you would need to Switch to LPG/CNG
arif_t01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th July 2007, 12:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Firstly, welcome to TBHP.

For your requirements, I'd suggest the following:

1. Ford Fusion - not the Fiesta. The Fusion is reasonably roomy - I know because a friend of mine with a family along the lines you just described (except he's 6' 1").

2. Indigo XL.

If you want to go beyond cars, you could probably look at a Scorpio or a Chevy Tavera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vayalam View Post
But the general advice that is floating around on these auto-websites is that for limited driving (less than 12k per year), diesel is not a good option (though this point might be debatable).
This point is debatable. You have pretty long-term plans, and you do plan to drive long distances occassionally. Once you have a larger car you may be tempted to do long distances more often - you dont want your driving experience to be restricted by a mileage calculation chart.

Go for diesel.
Steeroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 13:08   #18
BHPian

Wow! I have bottomed out! So many experts and so many opinions. I think I have become more confused than earlier. But I can see some pictures slowly emerging in the haze. Firstly, for a potential buyer of my category, diesel is not a "no-no" option. The user-comments that one comes across at some of these autosites (team-bhp, carwale, autocar etc.) make one biased against diesel, though some say it is the fuel of the future. Secondly, Tata Indigo is not all that untouchable (as some would like you to believe). I see some seniors here actually recommending Indigo. May be it is a reasonably good option (warts and all!) for a low budget C segment customer; the pros overweighing the cons. Thank you friends, I am better informed than earlier and may be I'll make up my mind in the next couple of weeks. Will come back to you after I get my car. Thank you seniors..you're doing a good job.
Vayalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th July 2007, 16:32   #19
BHPian

Aveo / Fiesta
----------------

i would prefer Aveo bcoz better overall package with more space, better looking and GMI's excellent service and good customer care, and add to it GM offering 3 years / 1 lac kms warranty as standard.

But if money is not a constraint and you can afford to be taken by Ford dealers then go for Fiesta which is no doubt a better car but with poor finish and worst service / customer care attitude.

You decide now.

SX4 is a brilliant car but maybe beyond your budget.
namit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th July 2007, 12:36   #20
BHPian

Thanks, Namit, for that advice. You seem to be happy with your Aveo. I still have to TD the Aveo; so can't comment on your points. But I guess GM is selling them in good numbers. BTW, I'm told Aveo is a spruced up Daewoo (remember, GM bought the sick Daewoo a few years back) and that its crashworthiness (source Euro NCAP data) is is not anything to write home about. Any update on the build quality of the car? What's your average FE?
Old 11th July 2007, 12:48   #21
Senior - BHPian

I would any day prefer the Fiesta over the Aveo. *** in Hyd is ok. Not sure about Chennai.
The new limited edition Fiesta has many features, including Sun roof and alloy wheels. Why don't you TD it?
vnabhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th July 2007, 11:32   #22
Senior - BHPian

Vayalam. I would just put it like this.

Based on your requirements i feel the Ford fusion Petrol would be the best one for you. The interior space it offers is unmatched in its price range. The boot space too is not that bad as it looks fro outside. I would say it could hold everything a family wants on a short vacation. The Fiat Adventure though is a really better buy would not provide you the rear space that you might require. For that matter the Fiesta too is slightly on the lower side when you talk about interior space. The Fusion is real fun to drive around and gives you a really decent mileage for the power it delivers. The major things that would go against it is the A.S.S, High Spare part Costs and the rocky feeling on bad roads due to its tight suspension setup and low profile tyres (which in return gives excellent handling capabilities)

If you ask me about the Aveo vs the Fiesta i would stick to the Aveo for its space, 3 yr warranty, better looks (presonal preference) and because of the fact that it is "NOT SERVICED BY FORD"

All said, (1) if you have a good dealer/service centre for FIAT in your area and (2) if you dont mind the rear leg space The Fiat Advenure Sport would be the vehicle you would really love to drive around.

Last edited by gemithomas : 12th July 2007 at 11:34.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 14:28   #23
BHPian

Default Aveo is a nice car

Quote:
Thanks guys for double quickie response. Not that I have really closed other options. The three cars (Aveo, Fiesta and Adventure) seemed to fit my requirements rather well. I did not like the look of Logan; it looks as if someone just kicked its bottom. I need to drive the car to office and you know Bolero is not of that type. Indigo Dicor I did consider (in fact I feel Indigo is a really good car, provided you sit at the back). But the general advice that is floating around on these auto-websites is that for limited driving (less than 12k per year), diesel is not a good option (though this point might be debatable). Fiesta is a good car; what is troubling me is its maintenance costs. I TD'd SX4, but I felt it is a quite nice executive car, though not a good family car (the middle backseat issue). I'd definitely buy Esteem if Maruti came out with a new version of it tomorrow, but one does not know what is their plans. What do you guys think about Aveo? Looks great, reviews have also been good. Do I hear its crashworthiness is poor?
Sir, Let's take up some issues:

Space: Aveo is having the longest wheelbase amonst the three. Rear lespace is impeccable. Seats are quite comfy. Fiesta is quite cramped at the rear.

FE: Fiesta & Aveo (Petrol Both) deliver around similar FE.

Maintenance: Fiesta's spares are more expensive than those of Aveo's. Also you get a 3-Yr Free Maintenance Plan.

Driving: Talking about acceleration fiesta is more of a macho car whereas Aveo is more of executive type. Acceleration is Fiesta's.

Driving Pleasure almost similar.

Features Aveo scores more.

Exteriors as well interiors is in Aveo's kitty.

Resale: Sir, neither Ford nor Gm cars have a great Resale value but they do tend to pay you of well enough.

I would suggest:
1 Chevy Aveo
2. Ford Fiesta
varun.ppl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th July 2007, 18:07   #24
BHPian

have you driven the fiesta and the aveo driving pleasure any day its the fiesta
yogi1771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th July 2007, 00:44   #25
BHPian

since you are planning to use the car for more than 7 years, you shouldn't worry about resale value and stuff like that. so i think you should go in for the palio adventure. it has a 100 bhp engine but the fuel efficiency is low. i assume you like the car because you have zeroed in on aveo, fiesta and palio adventure. it also has the maximum boot space and looks more macho than the other two.

since fiat's service has been taken over by tata, servicing would not be a problem.

you could also consider the fusion which is a very good car. it also has a very responsive engine and has better fuel efficiency than the palio adventure. but it's parts are expensive. especially body parts like bumpers, headlamps, tailgate etc are really expensive because the fusion is not as localised as the fiesta.

then ford service, hmmmmmm, well i was pretty unhappy with ford service centre here in kochi over my old ikon. maybe they are better in chennai.

goodluck.
vishnuvijay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 09:27   #26
BHPian

Hi guys, finally I took a decision and booked my car. It's an Aveo...blazing red, base model. I did go to Tata and Ford show rooms to see Adventure, Fusion and Fiesta. Each has its own good and bad points. Finally decided to go for Aveo. My wife had a big role to play. She liked the looks of the car, its spacious interior and also the customer-friendly service at Sundaram Motors. I guess I have made a fairly good choice. Will keep you posted about the car once I take delivery.
Old 28th July 2007, 11:47   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, finally I took a decision and booked my car. It's an Aveo...blazing red, base model.
Good choice. If you want space, comfort, good ride & suspension, it ought to be Aveo in this segment. All other cars I've seen (Fiesta, SX4) are all cramped for leg room. Add to it 3 years of warrantly + good discounts, what else can you ask for ?!

Congratulations & enjoy your car ! Good to see many people are leaning towards Aveo these days.
Indian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th July 2007, 13:27   #28
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys, finally I took a decision and booked my car. It's an Aveo...blazing red, base model. I did go to Tata and Ford show rooms to see Adventure, Fusion and Fiesta. Each has its own good and bad points. Finally decided to go for Aveo. My wife had a big role to play. She liked the looks of the car, its spacious interior and also the customer-friendly service at Sundaram Motors. I guess I have made a fairly good choice. Will keep you posted about the car once I take delivery.
Congratulations Veyalam! I too was very confused just like you. The friends and experts here at Team BHP helped a lot with their valuable inputs. I too am booking my Aveo 1.4 today, the colour is still to be finalised though. It's good to note that Aveo's sales are picking up day by day. Happy driving!
LokeshG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th July 2007, 16:10   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congrats man. Do enjoy your car ...and drive safe,
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th July 2007, 20:50   #30
Senior - BHPian

Good choice of car vayalam. Why dont you post up details of the pricing with the goodies and offers from the dealership.
rjstyles69 is offline   Reply With Quote