Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 23rd August 2007, 08:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Hmm. The baleno would give you more fe and would be easier to maintain, but i feel that the price is still quite high, try to negotiate it a bit. Also, if u are ierested in an optra, try to get 1.6(pref with vgis,it maybe out of budget tough) as the 1.8 is known for its terrible FE,thats why the resale is so low.
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:38   #17
BANNED

Kaushik,

Thats a fair price. I am trying to sell my Dads Optra 1.8 2003 and dealers are offering me 4.25 lakhs.

FE is an issue but thats a fairly decent price for a car which is a bit loaded and has a fantastic zip.
deepakvrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:40   #18
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaushik_s View Post
The mileage of the Baleno is 17600 km.s and Optra is 34k(I'm not able to recall exactly).
Also Baleno is a True Value car and car seems to be in good condition.
Another thing is that I wanted a black coloured car and that's the only missing point in the Baleno.
Kaushik,

Believe me - I've been thru the 'I want black' and after one black car I have sworn never to buy black again [unless of course I'm left with no choice as in a second hand car with no availability of other colours].
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:01   #19
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Hi All,
Currently I'm driving a old carb Zen and I feel it's time for me to upgrade to a bigger car.Basically I've almost decided that I'll go for a pre-owned car.

1.within the price range of max 5.5L.
2.Should have a good power and performance
3.Should have a boot.
4.Good A.S.S without much headache
5.Decent mileage ( around 11kmpl in city) - My daily drive is around 40km and weekend trips of 200 odd kms.

So taking into consideration of all these I almost decided on a Maruti Baleno and found one Vxi 2005,price quoted is 5L negotiable.I think they'll come down to around 4.8L
But I've also seen one Black Optra 1.8 LS for 4.8L and now that's swinging my mind a lil' bit towards that car. mostly because of the looks and the posh feel of Optra. Also one doubt I've is that the price seems low for an optra ?
So guys, help me decide on which car to go for? Are the prices quoted ok? Also how can I tell that the cars haven't been through any major accidents or problem. (the optra ppl are ready to show service history and baleno is true value certified)

Waiting for your valuable inputs.
The little Zen (old) was a gem of car and I guess you must be spoilt rotten by the zippy nature of its engine and sharp handling .... try and get something that matches it albeit in a "bigger size", I would not look beyond a Baleno if I were you though discontinued given it is a Maruti it will continue to be supported strongly for years to come, 4.8 L or lower looks like a good price to me but I would suggest that you bargain harder there usually are not many takers for phased out cars and I am sure that is playing on the existing owners mind.

The same cannot be said of now phased out 1.8 Optra which gave only a incremental performance bump over the 1.6 sibling and commands a lousy resale and bad FE, stay away from this car if you can my friend.

Since good FE & A.S.S are crucial factors in your buying decision the Old Honda City 1.3 DX can also be considered it is a great car with decent FE & A.S.S with better snob appeal than the Baleno (though in the same pre-owned price bracket) if thats a consideration for you ... good luck !!
ajkail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:22   #20
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also Baleno is a True Value car and car seems to be in good condition.
Another thing is that I wanted a black coloured car and that's the only missing point in the Baleno.
According to me, the Baleno seems to be the better bet.
Also, why do you want a black car? Trust me, maintaining a dark colored car is no easy task.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 11:46   #21
BHPian

[quote=kaushik_s;539479]

Also how can I tell that the cars haven't been through any major accidents or problem. (the optra ppl are ready to show service history and baleno is true value certified)

quote]

Some tips to find out if the cars been in a major smash;

1. Look at the right hand bottom corner of the front windscreen it will indicate the year of manufacture of the windscreen, example "03" indicates 2003 and so on .... this should match the year of manufacture of the car a mismatch indicates trouble

2. Look at the Vertical Sheet of Bodywork behind the engine usually called the "Firewall"; the chasis number or some kind of date of manufacturing indication is usually imprinted on it ... if messed up or missing then you know !!

3. Look and the front suspension mounts for any rework as also the engine cradle ... this may be tough for novice to spot though.

4. Inspect the running boards carefuly and also remove rubber beading around the door to inspect for any suspect on the fly patch work

ajkail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:20   #22
Senior - BHPian

Well, to my eyes the Black Baleno just looks awesome, so I was looking for it.. I know maintenance will be a big hassle. But anyway now I'm not hell-bent on black..
When I drove the car yesterday I felt the same zippyness as the Zen but with lot more power. And I loved the feel. I felt it(baleno) would be best upgrade that I can go for(Though I'venot driven the Optra yet so don't know how it feels). Honda vtec would also have been great but I won't be getting a this new car and price is on higher side.And also it's difficult to find one.So decided against that.
In most probability I'll book the car by this week.

Ajkail, thanks a lot for the tips.. I'll check them thoroughly today. I already checked the chasis number and engine number and that looked fine. And to my eyes I couldn't see any problem in the suspension and engine cradle, but anyway I'm not an expert though.Will probably try to get a mechanic with me today or tomorrow to get it checked. but the car is already Maruti certified True Value car so I have a feeling that it should be fine.

Last edited by aah78 : 29th August 2007 at 01:21. Reason: multiple posts merged
kaushik_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 16:49   #23
BHPian

Choice is simple, fix your priority, Look, millage, performance, maintenance, and status symbol. Let me list down the priority for each car from high rank to lower rank

Baleno:
a. Performance
b. FE
c. Maintenance
d. Driving Enjoyment
e. ride
f. Look

Optra:
a. Look
b. ride
c. Performance
d. Driving Enjoyment
e. Maintenance
f. FE

Note: If you want to enjoy the combination of a above in a car then Baleno otherwise you go for Optra but keep the things in mind related to optra FE and maintenance. One of my colleague's optra AC compressor went kaput and dealer quoted 45K for the same and now choice is yours.

I used to drive ZEN for 6 years before upgrading to Baleno 2 years back and cloked 32K so far in my Baleno and trust me the piece of mind Baleno gives no other cars gives.

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 23rd August 2007 at 16:53.
vivek_pinkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th August 2007, 22:16   #24
Senior - BHPian

OK, I've almost decided on the Baleno and given a token advance also. But when I checked the engine one thing I found is that the Coolant reservoir have very less coolant in it. It was only 1/4th full instead of 3/4th. Also brake fluid is not exactly up to the mark as it should be. Does this indicate some leakage on the cooling system/radiator ?Or does it indicate that the prev owner didn't take care of the car much? The true value guys told they'll fix everything but I don't trust them much and if the radiator has leak it will be a major repair, isn't it?
Old 28th August 2007, 13:39   #25
BHPian

Quote:
OK, I've almost decided on the Baleno and given a token advance also. But when I checked the engine one thing I found is that the Coolant reservoir have very less coolant in it. It was only 1/4th full instead of 3/4th. Also brake fluid is not exactly up to the mark as it should be. Does this indicate some leakage on the cooling system/radiator ?Or does it indicate that the prev owner didn't take care of the car much? The true value guys told they'll fix everything but I don't trust them much and if the radiator has leak it will be a major repair, isn't it?
Yes. Baleno is a better option than the Optra for following reasons:

1. Better engine performance (acceleration)
2. Engine goes to redline without strain (free revving engine)
3. Better fuel efficiency (and consistent too from one car to another, and one trip to another)
4. Better handling (high speed banking / cornering). The Optra is a heavier car with softer suspension setting and hence not as sharp as Baleno. As such, the Vxi comes with 185 R14 tires, which itself is very good for most purposes.

Of course, it is a notch below the Optra in internal space.

Both of them have low seating positions.

As for A.S.S., Maruti's Network and response is known to be more robust.

Regarding the fluid levels... The fluids are topped up at each service point. I don't think an incorrect fluid level is anything to be alarmed about. Anyway, you have the 6 month / 1 year warranty from TruValue - when they would fix any issues, if they arise. All the problems / defects you would face, will show up within the first 6 months.
GSHA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 00:27   #26

why doesn't anyone suggest buying a Tata İndica?I own one and I really am happy to own it And I do feel that Tata is truly Indian and therefore need to be supported by all of you guys.
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th August 2007, 00:40   #27
BANNED

Quote:
Congratulations Kaushik
Old 29th August 2007, 00:55   #28
Senior - BHPian

Hey Thanks Doc, but will be getting the car by Friday only..

GSHA, thanks for your inputs. Have already decided on the car.. Was just lil' bit worried seeing he condition of the fluid levels.But I hope everything will be normal by the time they deliver the car.
Old 2nd September 2007, 01:23   #29
Senior - BHPian

Hey Guyz,
I've got my Baleno yesterday(Friday) and thanks a lot to Team-bhp for helping me to choose the car.Mostly the decision was based on Performance of the car and A.S.S of Maruti.
It's a pearl silver Baleno Vxi and I hope I would love driving it, like I did with my Zen.
Regards
Kaushik
Old 3rd September 2007, 13:03   #30
Senior - BHPian

Sigh,...ask me. I own two all black beauties..

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbsb29 View Post
Also, why do you want a black car? Trust me, maintaining a dark colored car is no easy task.
gd1418 is offline   Reply With Quote