Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 22nd August 2007, 08:45   #1
BHPian

Question Fiesta ZXi TDCi or Fusion TDCi ??

Close to booking a Fiesta ZXi Diesel or Fusion Diesel, the two cars share a lot in common from the Engine right up to the Instrument Cluster ... but then though they share a lot of common DNA they are completely different animals, the Fiesta being a Family Sedan (with a penchant for some sporty driving) & the Fusion being an out and out go fun to drive car .... guess that would be Dilemma #1 !!

The issue is that the though two cars have different pricing in the open market the interesting part (for me) is that I am getting both at almost the same price, heres how;
1. Fiesta ZXi TDCi - Rs. 100,000/- (CSD / Army Pricing, thanks to my Dad)
2. Fusion TDCi - Rs. 16,000/- (ICICI Pricing, thanks to my Wife)
So the on road price for both cars ex-Chennai (for me) is Rs. 7.30 L give or take a couple of thousand (inclusive of 2nd & 3rd year extended warranty).

Ford A.S.S has been whipped to death in these forums but Chennai being the home town of Ford India both dealers i.e. MPL Ford & Chennai Ford seem to be doing a decent job at least here (certified by quite a few friends & acquaintances).

Going forward in terms of resale the Fiesta seems to be a better bet given that I will be getting a huge discount anyways, but the Fusion gets me discount too albeit a smaller one ... the issue however is the I cannot get the Fusion out my head .... guess that would make it Dilemma #2

What do you think I should be doing, the two Dilemma’s are the ones I need help with though any other feedback would be welcome !!

Just so you guys know, I did come close to picking up a Indigo DiCOR LX but bailed out last minute due to (maybe perceived) issues with its CRDI Mill ... more here > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/what-c...sus-dicor.html

Last edited by adya33 : 22nd August 2007 at 10:04.
ajkail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:46   #2
Senior - BHPian

It really depends upon your needs...people, luggage distance roads etc.

but let me tell you, during Car-Bike show in NDTV, they declared Fiesta's body better than Fusion's, also noise inside is significant in Fusion compared to Fiesta..

End of the day, you have to take a call.

Abhi
akroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:53   #3
BHPian

If i were you, i would have picked up Fiesta any given day. Frankly speaking i still dont get, what segment the Fuzion is targetted at ? I mean what type of car is it exactly ?
If one calls it a hatch, the high price isnt justified IMHO.
So i would never go for it. This is just my personal opinion.
Amey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:54   #4
Senior - BHPian

If you are getting Fiesta and Fusion at the same price, you are lucky dude!
Go for Fiesta TDci and enjoy all the comforts of a sedan.
finneyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 10:56   #5
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkail View Post
Close to booking a Fiesta ZXi Diesel or Fusion Diesel, the two cars share a lot in common from the Engine right up to the Instrument Cluster ... but then though they share a lot of common DNA they are completely different animals, the Fiesta being a Family Sedan (with a penchant for some sporty driving) & the Fusion being an out and out go fun to drive car .... guess that would be Dilemma #1 !!

So the on road price for both cars ex-Chennai (for me) is Rs. 7.30 L give or take a couple of thousand (inclusive of 2nd & 3rd year extended warranty).

Going forward in terms of resale the Fiesta seems to be a better bet given that I will be getting a huge discount anyways, but the Fusion gets me discount too albeit a smaller one ... the issue however is the I cannot get the Fusion out my head .... guess that would make it Dilemma #2
well, Fiesta will give you a better resale but then for how many years would you be keeping this car?

In Chennai traffic I guess Fusion will give more confidence. Fiesta will give more FE. Both has th same engine which is refined but dont expect performance. Forget dragging with Verna.

Fiesta should be more stable in highways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

but let me tell you, during Car-Bike show in NDTV, they declared Fiesta's body better than Fusion's, also noise inside is significant in Fusion compared to Fiesta..

Abhi
I too saw the program. Maybe the guys got a bad car for testing as a Fusion owner said it was less nosier than Fiesta.

Go for a TD.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:40   #6
Team-BHP Support

ajkail, if i were in your position, i would plonk my money on the Fiesta TDCi. Somehow, i prefer the Fiesta over the Fusion.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 11:52   #7
BHPian

Dude.. Fiesta Any day...

+ves

1) better resale
2) better FE
3) better class/image (as compared to fusion)

I agree that fusion is a fun to drive car and too practical in city driving but its a bit over priced for what it offers. On long term perspectives Fiesta is a better deal.

hope this helps !
maheepgupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 12:01   #8
BHPian

I am a big fan of Fusion, however in your case the Fiesta Zxi TDCi looks a better bet. Primarily because of better resale value, better low speed comfort (Fusion scores less here), better sound insulation(NDTV car n bike show and CNBC auto show referred Fusion TDCi to be less sound insulating) and because you are getting both the cars at same price. I dont know the size of your family and the usage, however Fiesta has a bigger boot space and also the the "image" associated in India with driving around a car with a boot . Also to my knowledge Fiesta Zxi has better goodies like Inbuilt dash music system, height adjustable seats, body coloured door handles and mirrors (though they are not that important)
abhilashvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd August 2007, 19:52   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

well, Fiesta will give you a better resale but then for how many years would you be keeping this car?
Go for a TD.
Five years or so I guess .... no luxury of a corporate purchase that allows chages every three years

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhilashvk View Post

I dont know the size of your family and the usage, however Fiesta has a bigger boot space and also the the "image" associated in India with driving around a car with a boot.
Family of three ... cant help but agree with your assesment of "BOOT POWER"

Quote:
Originally Posted by akroy View Post

Abhi
Probably 90% city use ... the remainder probably highway driving from what I can see at this point in time ... time may prove me wrong though
Old 22nd August 2007, 21:43   #10
BHPian

The Fiesta is easily the better buy, especially for that price. The Fusion is into contention only because of emotional reasons, practically it can't hold candle to the Fiesta.

However, the Fiesta diesel will soon get an engine replacement, Ford plans to bring it a 1.6 litre version of the TDCi to make it compete better with the Verna (which goes like a bullet, is what I hear). The Fusion D on the other hand, will be on for at least a few years more - so you DO have a practical reason to buy the Fusion as well.

Test drive both cars and go for whichever car fits your bill best.
Strider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 08:58   #11
BHPian

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post

In Chennai traffic I guess Fusion will give more confidence. Fiesta will give more FE. Both has th same engine which is refined but dont expect performance. Forget dragging with Verna.
Have to agree with you on the "inspring confidence" part

I have no illusions to drag with the Fiesta TDCi & agree that Verna CRDi will leave Fiesta 1.4 TDCi in the dust any day; though as you pointed out this (TDCi) is an engine that as refined as an "assembly line" engine can get; given that its origins lie with the PSA Group and does duty on current european Citroën's/Peugeot's as the HDI and Mazda’s as the CiTD series of engines since 2002 thus giving enough time to sort all/any hidden gremlins that it might have been born with.

The Detroit Diesel inspired Verna CRDi on the other hand is generation ahead in terms of technology & raw specifications but nowhere near as reliable as the TDCi given that brand new mills have seen their Diesel Pumps pack up pretty soon; for proof if you are ever behind a Verna CRDi just wait long enough for "black smoke" to appear even at the slightest hint of a drag (indicating a clear mating mismatch between the ECU, Turbo Charger & Intercooler). Kudos to Hyundai for always attempting to bring contemporary technology to India; I am in no doubt these issues will be fixed & mastered in time but frankly I am in no mood be part their R&D program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strider View Post

However, the Fiesta diesel will soon get an engine replacement, Ford plans to bring it a 1.6 litre version of the TDCi to make it compete better with the Verna (which goes like a bullet, is what I hear).
The 1.6 TDCi is part of the same family of engines as the 1.4 TDCi but sports a DOHC, 16 Valves against 8 on the 1.4 & Intercooler but this comes at a cost; UK prices indicate around Ł600 or roughly INR 50K higher for this engine add the Indian assortment of taxes and levies; guess what you have a surely desirable but much more expensive car ... will be interesting to see how Ford prices cars powered by this engine, one thing I am pretty sure of though is that 1.4 TDCi will continue to co-exist with its 1.6 TDCi sibling quite like the Duratec 1.4 & 1.6 Petrol Mills.

Guess I can always "shoehorn" a Pete's Tuning box after the warranty is over (in about 3 years time ) which will see it go to 83BHP/19KGM in its lowest setting and 94BHP/23KGM at its highest which incidentally is higher than the stock specs of the 1.6 TDCi

All said & done for the time being I plan to remain sedate and safe after 7 crazy years and 150K KM on Pre V2 / Euro I Indica which for some reason is a lot more peppy than the insipid NA Euro II / Euro III units that followed, but I did have my share of problems and the nagging feeling that I was one among many crash test dummies that lined up to own the 1st iteration of the Indica & actually helped the Tata's refine the car, guess that explains my desire to go for something tried and tested this time ... Fiesta just completed two years in India right ?
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:36   #12
Team-BHP Support

ajkail, thats well put, mate. I am sure the 1.4 TDCi wont leave you regretting your decision.
benbsb29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 10:41   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajkail View Post

The 1.6 TDCi is part of the same family of engines as the 1.4 TDCi but sports a DOHC, 16 Valves against 8 on the 1.4 & Intercooler but this comes at a cost; UK prices indicate around £600 or roughly INR 50K higher for this engine add the Indian assortment of taxes and levies; guess what you have a surely desirable but much more expensive car ... will be interesting to see how Ford prices cars powered by this engine, one thing I am pretty sure of though is that 1.4 TDCi will continue to co-exist with its 1.6 TDCi sibling quite like the Duratec 1.4 & 1.6 Petrol Mills.

Guess I can always "shoehorn" a Pete's Tuning box after the warranty is over (in about 3 years time ) which will see it go to 83BHP/19KGM in its lowest setting and 94BHP/23KGM at its highest which incidentally is higher than the stock specs of the 1.6 TDCi
aha so you did the homework!
1.6 gonna be costly. Fords always prices things wrong. Had they priced it right it would have sold more. The FE of 1.4TDCis is amazing.The The interior of Fiesta is great though. Where you in Kerala I would have asked you to get the Fusion coz of the bad roads here

Last edited by jkdas : 23rd August 2007 at 10:44.
jkdas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 12:45   #14
GTO
Team-BHP Support

The 1.4 performs far better in the Fiesta than the Fusion. The Fusion also suffers from a harsh ride in the city. I say pick up the Fiesta....its a fantastic machine.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd August 2007, 13:59   #15
Senior - BHPian

Dude, go for the fiesta. It has more comfort, finish and brand value, also u'll get a lot more when u sell it compared to the pathetic resale of the fusion(going by the petrol models resale, the diesel wont be much better off i think)
JayD is offline   Reply With Quote