Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

View Poll Results: Which build do you think I should go for?
Turbo charged Baleno? 28 44.44%
OHC with B16? 3 4.76%
Lancer with Mivec? 37 58.73%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 3rd September 2007, 01:28   #46
Team-BHP Support

Have seen a white baleno a few times, someone had mentioned the car was running a turbo job done by leela. Is everyone talking about the same car? The baleni i'm talking about had a beautiful custom hood, multi spoke wheels and yokohama avs sort tires.
This car was even being used by the MAI team through speedrun 07.

manson.
Old 3rd September 2007, 01:39   #47
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by manson View Post
Have seen a white baleno a few times, someone had mentioned the car was running a turbo job done by leela. Is everyone talking about the same car? The baleni i'm talking about had a beautiful custom hood, multi spoke wheels and yokohama avs sort tires.
This car was even being used by the MAI team through speedrun 07.

manson.
If it is the one with the scooby look alike kit then no. That car ran with only NOS and is sold now IIRC. This baleno is a pearl silver colour and belongs to a very famous rally driver in Bangalore. It has no external add ons except for the EVO type spoiler and some good 15'' rims.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd September 2007 at 01:40.
Old 3rd September 2007, 02:03   #48
Senior - BHPian

Stock Baleno - 91bhp
Baleno with NA mods - 115bhp
Baleno with Turbo - 160bhp at 7psi
Stock Mivec - 175bhp with less Compression to run 91octane = 160bhp
Mivec with NA mods - 185bhp
Mivec with Turbo - 225bhp at 7psi

So Mivec is the way to go.

All my figures are estimations, correct me if i am wrong.
Old 3rd September 2007, 03:52   #49
BHPian

Go for Turbo Baleno.

Mivec may prove to be more reliable initially but IMO it will be expensive to maintain over log period (3-4yrs).

As you have considerable experiance in engine mods, you will understand the turbo job and you should be able to get it to work right eventully.
Old 3rd September 2007, 04:06   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by binz View Post
I would tell you to grow up,but i dont see that happenin.Ayway I have driven over 8000rpm .. and i have also experienced 200bhp at the wheel when I was 13yrs old thank you very much .
ok , I hoped u enjoyed urself driving over 8000 rpm..
..and right everyone drives when they are 13..

Quote:
I love my car and i have nothing more to say.
why do u like baleno ? what choice did u have when u bought ur baleno ? or was this the only choice available ?

Quote:
Unlike you i have no bias towards manufacturers or people for that matter.
and plz dont go OT on this thread by posting crap like this...

Quote:
Found this beautiful signature on one of the Mitsu forums ..

Vtec:All of the lag,none of the turbo .. Its like waiting for bad sex!

Vtec fans .. don't shoot the messenger

Last edited by chetanhanda : 3rd September 2007 at 04:15.
Old 3rd September 2007, 10:46   #51
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It looks the best, it handles the best and it feels the best. It also has tremendous aftermarket support.

Undoubtedly the Lancer Mivec from your list of options.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:19   #52
BHPian

Going by your future aspirations to a skyline or supra, I think MIVEC is the route for you. Wins hands out in terms or power, handling and looks. Fuel issues seems to be the major issues but like Rocam said if CR can be brought down you will be able to get away with 91 + boosters without deto. Would be a good idea to have a deto detector.

Personal choice would be a turbo baleno. If and only if, you can get a reliable setup. Now thats a big if, the good part is that you can control the boost. When you want to run reliabilly you can run lower boost (6 to 8 psi) and then you want all out power you can run 1 bar. Tune it for 1 bar and you will have absolutely no issues running 6 or 7 psi. If you are using all new parts and install if proper reliability should not be a big issue. Turbo has its own charm.
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:35   #53
Senior - BHPian

Looking at the history I would still reccomend a Baleno esp since you want to race it and availability of parts, lower cost of ownership and easy maintainance

Personally I would be a bit smart and use the lower stroke crank + OE Cons + Stock pistons+Stand Alone for up to 8 PSI.

Turboing a mivec would entail lowering of the comp at least to 9:1 to keep it safe

Honda: Procurement of the car / engine / parts / rebuild etc might work out way more expensive
Old 3rd September 2007, 13:12   #54
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho
Looking at the history I would still reccomend a Baleno esp since you want to race it and availability of parts, lower cost of ownership and easy maintainance
I agree. This is what Jitu, Chetan, myselfand a couple of other friends were discussing the other night. Was awaiting some more info from you, Farhan & Ananth before I finalize.

Quote:
Personally I would be a bit smart and use the lower stroke crank + OE Cons + Stock pistons+Stand Alone for up to 8 PSI.
Done. I was planning exactly the same. Car is going in for re-sleeving the block and get it back to stock 75mm pistons in the next two weeks. Just a question though, since the cons are the weakest link on the G16B what would be the solution to go upto 1 bar? Or will retaining the forged cons and shorter crank get the CR to what is required for going TC after going back to stock pistons. If need be it, I don't mind shipping down a set of low comp 75mm or 76mm pistons from suzukird. Since you have already worked on the engine, you will be the best person to comment on this.

Quote:
Turboing a mivec would entail lowering of the comp at least to 9:1 to keep it safe
True, many forums I read on the Mivec's suggested going turbo on the 4G92 would spoil the whole fun about the MIVEC. Which is due to the higher CR.

Honda, is totally out of contention because of not so great trackworthiness.

I really appreciate the fact that you took some time to answer my query. Would appreciate if you could add a bit more and answer a few questions I have put up regarding the pistons and conrods. Thanks.

Last edited by mclaren1885 : 3rd September 2007 at 13:15.
Old 3rd September 2007, 13:49   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Done. I was planning exactly the same. Car is going in for re-sleeving the block and get it back to stock 75mm pistons in the next two weeks. Just a question though, since the cons are the weakest link on the G16B what would be the solution to go upto 1 bar? Or will retaining the forged cons and shorter crank get the CR to what is required for going TC after going back to stock pistons. If need be it, I don't mind shipping down a set of low comp 75mm or 76mm pistons from suzukird. Since you have already worked on the engine, you will be the best person to comment on this.
Best build for 1 bar:

Lower Stroke crank + The longer cons as they are stronger + 8:1 76 mm pistons (This is the same plan I told you earlier) these would in turn bring up the comp to about 8.7 to 9.1:1

Dont bring it back to 75 mm. make sure you upgrade the oil pump.
Old 3rd September 2007, 16:07   #56
BHPian

TC the Baleno. Running 97+ is always recomended. The Mivec engine however is equipped with a knock sensor and will retard the timing if lower octane fuel is used. this will only lead to a decrease in power.

The engines are pretty much bullet proof. Things hardly go wrong, but if they do, then sourcing parts is difficult.

If you do decide to go in for the Mivec, you can be rest assured that I will help in anyway you want. Trust me, it's is a fantastic experience.
Old 3rd September 2007, 16:59   #57
BANNED

There is a 2Ltr Mivec done about 15k kms TN registered going for 4L. Now what do I do?
Old 3rd September 2007, 17:00   #58
Senior - BHPian

MCL is it a 4G63 or a 4G9X?
Old 3rd September 2007, 17:23   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
MCL is it a 4G63 or a 4G9X?
Not so sure about the engine code, but I guess it should be a V6?
Old 3rd September 2007, 17:29   #60
BHPian

Did not cinclaturbo advertise for a MIVEC sometime back. Remember hitting the search during my car search. Did you check out with him?
Closed Thread