Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 3rd September 2007, 11:05   #1

Default Which is better - SX4 ZXi or Aveo 1.4 Base Model

I have seen a few posts but there have not been many replies, hence starting this thread again.
Could you help me in choosing between the SX4 and Chevy Aveo?
Many questions are unanswered in my mind like:
1. SX4 has airbags and ABS, but are they really required? My highway driving and driving at high speeds (mainly inside city) are very limited.
2. How does the build quality of Maruti compare with Chevy? I have heard many complaints about rattling in Maruti cars (especially swift).
3. Engines - Sx4 has a new series engine while Aveo has effectively an older Daewoo engine. Which is better?
4. which is more Value For Money?

I test drove the SX4 and found the steering to be very springy. Does not feel like true power steering. Any comments on this?

Thanks
gokborki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:08   #2
BHPian

Hi,

Firstly, there is a huge price difference between the two models that you are comparing, 1Lakh on the sticker price and about 1.5L if you take into account the discounts that you can get on an Aveo vis a vis the SX4. So if you want to comare, you should ideally do it with the Aveo 1.6.

Secondly, if you want ABS and Airbags, you can always go for the Aveo 1.6LT which is still cheaper than the SX4.
But as you mentioned that your Highway driving is minimal, you can easily go for a non ABS and Airbag model and save up on some cash.

And as far as the technology goes, the engine that is fitted in the Indian sx4 is of 2001, which is not exactly 'latest'. But yes its quite refined. The Aveo engine is not bad either and feels very smooth (especially the 1.4) and if you compare the performance of the engines, the Aveo (even the 1.4) is quicker than the SX4 in the 'In-Gear' acceleration. The in-gear acceleration figures give a better picture of how the engine performs in regular/city conditions.

SX4

20-80 kph - 13.75 sec
40-100 kph - 20.92

Aveo 1.4

20-80 kph - 13.43 sec
40-100 kph - 18.6 sec

Aveo 1.6

20-80 kph - 12.16sec
40-100 kph - 16.75 sec

*source - ACI

Moreover the Aveo will give you better fuel efficiency than the SX4.

Build Quality is definitely much better in the Aveo and 3 years warranty along with the new Chevrolet Promise package, IMO the Aveo is more FFM.

I am not saying that the SX4 is a bad car, but for your requirements, I feel that the Aveo 1.4 is a better choice.

Last edited by arup10 : 3rd September 2007 at 12:10.
arup10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:10   #3
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. SX4 has airbags and ABS, but are they really required? My highway driving and driving at high speeds (mainly inside city) are very limited.
Its a myth that ABS is only required on the highways, ABS is very helpful even in the City and slow driving as well.

Quote:
2. How does the build quality of Maruti compare with Chevy? I have heard many complaints about rattling in Maruti cars (especially swift).
The build quality of Chevy aka Daewoo is better then the Maruti cars.

Quote:
3. Engines - Sx4 has a new series engine while Aveo has effectively an older Daewoo engine. Which is better?
The SX4 engine is better since its the latest M series and has quite good torque, also its faster though the AVEO is more FE (being smaller engine)

Quote:
Both cars are VFM in their own segment but the SX4 is extremely VFM with all the equipment it has.

My pick would surely be the SX4 Zxi

P.S You cant compare a car being 6.5L OTR to a car being 8L OTR
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:22   #4
Senior - BHPian

I fail to understand how ???, its been discussed before in the ABS thread (The ABS discussion thread) and infact under certain conditions ABS takes longer to stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Its a myth that ABS is only required on the highways, ABS is very helpful even in the City and slow driving as well.
dadu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 12:46   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gokborki View Post
I have seen a few posts but there have not been many replies, hence starting this thread again.
Could you help me in choosing between the SX4 and Chevy Aveo?
Many questions are unanswered in my mind like:

I test drove the SX4 and found the steering to be very springy. Does not feel like true power steering. Any comments on this?

Thanks
1. In my opinion, Airbags & ABS are safety features which can be useful for city driving as well, these should not be discounted as not needed.

2. Build quality of SX4 is much better than than Swift in my opinion, the finish & look in AVEO is richer though.

3. Not much idea about these, other experts on engine technology should help you here.

4. Both are VFM is their own segment, depends on what you are looking for... SX4 Zxi is a total peace of mind car ..at least for me, AVEO is also picking up fast (Mainly due to discounts or the public slowly realizing the benefits of 3 Yr 1 Lac KM Warrant and Service holiday ? )

One thing I hated in Optra & AVEO is the central horn, one has to be very precise and press at the right location else it doesn't work.

I like the SX4 steering very much infact better than Optra.

One thing I hated in Optra & AVEO is the central horn, one has to be very precise and press at the right location else it doesn't work.
Shankyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd September 2007, 15:52   #6

Hi
Thanks for all the answers.
I understand that the SX4 Zxi and 1.4 Avoe cannot be directly compared as the price difference is morte than a lac.
However I wanted to know the feedback as I have kep 8 lacs as the upper limit of my budget.
Thanks
Old 3rd September 2007, 17:37   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well the LT version of the AVEO and Optra come with side horns.

Quote:
However I wanted to know the feedback as I have kep 8 lacs as the upper limit of my budget.
Dont even think twice book a SX4 ZXi asap, you never know how long will it take to get delivered.
BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 12:59   #8
BHPian

Actually the SX4 Zxi is now available within a week to 10 days checked it with 2 dealers in Delhi - Bagga and Rana - so it is not one dealer pulling a fast one
Had actually gone there to check out the swift diesel for my dad - which has a one month waiting period
vikrantw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 13:04   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dadu View Post
I fail to understand how ???, its been discussed before in the ABS thread (The ABS discussion thread) and infact under certain conditions ABS takes longer to stop.
As far as I know its only one condition in which it might (yes might) take longer. The advantages far outweigh for a normal driver.
srishiva is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 13:22   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikrantw1 View Post
Actually the SX4 Zxi is now available within a week to 10 days checked it with 2 dealers in Delhi - Bagga and Rana - so it is not one dealer pulling a fast one
Had actually gone there to check out the swift diesel for my dad - which has a one month waiting period
Cool, so SX4 Zxi is available easily now within 1-2 weeks, wonder if Maruti has inceased production or the demand has fallen
Old 4th September 2007, 14:41   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
Cool, so SX4 Zxi is available easily now within 1-2 weeks, wonder if Maruti has inceased production or the demand has fallen
Even i wonder the same, even after having so many features and at such a VFM package why arent we seeing those many SX4's in the market? Is it just a hype or there is something wrong with the car?

I personally feel for you the choice should be an aveo as you mentioned that your a careful driver and will be using it mostly in the city. GM has launched the new aveo recently with the notchy gearbox problem completely resolved and some changes to the trim. Build wise the SX4 definetly looks stronger but then dont worry about the build quality so much, Aveo is not inferior in any way.

Plus the money that you will save will allow you to go for nice accesories in the aveo like alloy wheels, a good ICE set-up and anything else that you wish
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th September 2007, 15:31   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Even i wonder the same, even after having so many features and at such a VFM package why arent we seeing those many SX4's in the market? Is it just a hype or there is something wrong with the car?
Its a wonderful car, thats for sure, and other than small things here or there which I am sure one will find in ANY car, SX4 is a really neat package at an excellent price. Maruti has forced Honda to bring upgraded Models even when they denied it at first, but the dent is surely being felt by them.

Initially, I was also wondering where the SX4 was being sold as I didn't see a lot of them on road, but considering the length & breadth of our country, total number of dealerships, I think 9k-10k cars in the whole country is not a very large number, now a days I see more SX4 (not as many as Hondas still) on road.
Old 4th September 2007, 15:50   #13

I have almost made up my mind to go for an Aveo.
I am now trying to see if the Base Aveo 1.4 can be fitted with airbags, ABS and electrically operated ORVMs.
I am in favour of doing this rather than go for an 1.6 Aveo as I am not convinced that fetaures like Body colured handles and mirrors, wood finish interiors are VFM.
What do you think?
Old 4th September 2007, 18:27   #14
aks316

hi.. if given a choice i would buy chevrolet aveo over sx4.. the new aveo has a better gearshift which was the biggest negative in the aveo... n gm says they have improved the throttle response also.. so test drive the new aveo and decide..
Old 4th September 2007, 20:15   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aks316 View Post
hi.. if given a choice i would buy chevrolet aveo over sx4.. the new aveo has a better gearshift which was the biggest negative in the aveo... n gm says they have improved the throttle response also.. so test drive the new aveo and decide..
I drove a brand new Aveo of my friend yesterday, the gearshift was hard i hope it will improve after some kms.

Last edited by kpzen : 4th September 2007 at 20:16.
kpzen is offline   Reply With Quote