Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 26th September 2007, 23:24   #1
Senior - BHPian

Default Honda Civic Or Skoda Rs

When Dad told me that we were going to sell off our OHC VTEC, I knew it was time to search for a new car.

1800 CC is what my reaction to dad.

So Heres a list I made at the beginning.

Honda Civic 1.8S AT ( at that time there was only S variant)
Toyota Corolla H5
Chevrolet Optra Royale 1.8 LT
Skoda Octavia 1.9 L&K
Hyundai Elantra
Skoda Octavia RS

In the middle of it the 1.8 S AT honda civic changed to 1.8 V AT
and another car Optra Magnum 2.0 LT was added.

Now How I Eliminated the cars

Toyota Corolla , Old Design and a bit underpowered
Chevrolet 1.8 Way too underpowered for a 1.8
Hyundai Elantra , Dad Doesnt Like Hyundai
Skoda Octavia L & K , Expensive for a 90 BHP
Optra Magnum ( NO distinctive features apart from Torque and serious acceleration )

SO now I am left with

Honda Civic 1.8 V AT
Skoda Octavia vRS

Now I am a Speed Enthusiast . Look For Power but also I want the Car to be good looking and easy on the pocket.
I am damn confused

Please Help!!!
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 03:41   #2
Senior - BHPian

Did you check Mitsubishi Cedia? The Sports version will 9.5lacs or less in delhi. It'll beat a honda civic on track in stock form. RS is a completely different ballgame though if you spend the extra 5lacs on mods for it, you can pretty easily get close to 200bhp.

Last edited by reignofchaos : 27th September 2007 at 03:43.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 08:14   #3
BHPian

Abhinav,
It depends on what you are after, if you want an all-rounder, buy a Civic. If sheer power is what you are after, the RS is the way to go. You can get mods like a Pete's kit, Carbonio Intake etc and this will take the RS beyond 200bhp. A souped up version of the RS engine is also used in the Audi TT and other cars belonging to the Volkswagen group. So sourcing of performance spares from abroad should not be an issue. You can also contact Team-bhpian 'TurboIndia' for more mods on the RS.

But remember that the RS comes with high maintenance bills and expensive spares.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
It'll beat a honda civic on track in stock form.
Don't think so. Experts, please share your views.

Last edited by S@~+#0$# : 27th September 2007 at 08:28.
S@~+#0$# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 08:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Why not Octavia 1.8 TPI Rider?
It has the same engine, transmission, etc as RS and cheaper than RS by 3 lacks...
anandpadhye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 09:27   #5
BHPian

A colleague of mine has a Octavia RS and he has had major trouble sourcing even simple things like Tires. Apparently, the RS has imported Bridgestones and very low profile in nature due to which they damage easily. My colleague's RS' tire tore in front of our office due to the poor condition of the approach path and he had to park it for close to 2 weeks before Skoda could get a replacement tire. So, please check with owners of both cars before you decide
prashanthyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 10:19   #6
Senior - BHPian

Can anyone confirm if the Honda Civic is easy on the pocket ? Cost of the basic filters + oil + service , please ?

I have heard and read that the filter (fuel) for the civic costs - 3000 Rs.
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 10:38   #7
Senior - BHPian

[quote=prashanthyr;576994]A colleague of mine has a Octavia RS and he has had major trouble sourcing even simple things like Tires. Apparently, the RS has imported Bridgestones and very low profile in nature due to which they damage easily. My colleague's RS' tire tore in front of our office due to the poor condition of the approach path and he had to park it for close to 2 weeks before Skoda could get a replacement tire. So, please check with owners of both cars before you decide[/quote

] I think this is the best way to come into a conclusion, guess many RS and CIVIC owners are in this forum.

Ask me its a tuff choice
lohithrao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 10:40   #8
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Either car - Civic or the RS - will keep you happy.

The Civic is an all-rounder. More space on the inside and its a far newer car. Interiors are better designed and it will be easier to live with. The only two glitches are low ground clearance and compromised torque at the low end which may affect driveability.

The RS...well, its an enthusiasts dream. The flip side includes cramped interiors (even the front passenger cant stretch his legs), more expensive to buy and its been around for almost forever now.

If you are looking for an out-an-out drivers car, buy the RS. But if your father / family is going to use it as much as you are, choose the Civic.
GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 10:47   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
A colleague of mine has a Octavia RS and he has had major trouble sourcing even simple things like Tires. Apparently, the RS has imported Bridgestones and very low profile in nature due to which they damage easily. My colleague's RS' tire tore in front of our office due to the poor condition of the approach path and he had to park it for close to 2 weeks before Skoda could get a replacement tire. So, please check with owners of both cars before you decide
RS has 205/55 R16 tyres. Don't think it'll be a problem sourcing them at all.
reignofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 10:48   #10
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by prashanthyr View Post
A colleague of mine has a Octavia RS and he has had major trouble sourcing even simple things like Tires. Apparently, the RS has imported Bridgestones and very low profile in nature due to which they damage easily.
Siigh! Now I've heard it all. Is there no limit to the rubbish people say at times! I mean...what "special tyres" is you friend talking about! C'mon guys, if anyone is gullible enough to believe that, then he deserves to be taken on a ride!

On the cars themselves. Its rather an easy choice. If you are going to drive it 90% of the time, and are not over 5'11", then the RS.

If you expect to be in the backseat or carry 4 people regularly, then go for the Civic.
Rtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 10:58   #11
BHPian

Abhinav,
Skoda RS will not give more than 6 kmpl and the spares cost a bomb.. But its the best when it comes to performance..

IMO Civic is the best looking car in this segment with over all features..

Why are you not considering the Cedia?
Have a TD and decide which one suits you...
streetlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 11:02   #12
Senior - BHPian

Being an Octavia TPi owner, I'll root for the RS/TPi. But, the Civic is probably a better all rounder. The RS/TPi are more performance focused. If rear seat comfort and ride quality is important, go with the Civic. But if sheer performance and handling is your game, look no further than the Octavia. If you go with the Octavia, I would suggest that you buy the cheaper TPi and use the left over cash to do her up.
I've been using Octys since they were launched in India and have never faced any parts shortage problems. I have had the TPi for 2.5 years now and all that I've spent is on petrol (drinks a lot) and regular servicing.
On the other hand, if you are ready to compromise on the snob value and handling front, the Magnum makes a strong case for her self. Ride is very good and she comes with a decent equipment list. I recently got one and the car is seriously fast. And, its a diesel.

@ streetlife - I regularly get 7.5 kpl in Calcutta traffic. And, I don't have a light foot.

Last edited by shuvd : 27th September 2007 at 11:05.
shuvd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 11:03   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by reignofchaos View Post
RS is a completely different ballgame though if you spend the extra 5lacs on mods for it, you can pretty easily get close to 200bhp.

With an extra 5 lacs only for mods, you can take it up to more than 300bhp.
adman77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 11:08   #14
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S@~+#0$# View Post
Don't think so. Experts, please share your views.
With that finicky suspension of the Civic, the Cedia might just pip it on track.

Quote:
With an extra 5 lacs only for mods, you can take it up to more than 300bhp.
There is an Evo 6 engine for sale for about that much .
mclaren1885 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th September 2007, 11:13   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetlife View Post
Abhinav,
Skoda RS will not give more than 6 kmpl and the spares cost a bomb.

RT,

Here is a new one. There is no limit to what you get to hear - new things all the time. sigh !
normally_crazy is offline   Reply With Quote