Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 17th October 2007, 16:59   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 0 Times
Default Worth Buying an Elantra CRDE 2004 ?

Hi

Details:

Elantra CRDE 2004 in Bangalore run only 18k kms. In Great Shape.

6.6 lacs.

Is it worth buying a used Elantra or will i incur huge maintenance costs and are spares a problem ? Or should i go in for a New Scorpio ? Please help with your reviews !
dharmu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17th October 2007, 21:49   #2
Senior - BHPian
 
lamborghini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 4,639
Thanked: 1,266 Times
Default

Go for the Elantra.
It is an amazing car, very safe, good build quality, good fun to drive and FE as well.
I am not sure about the price though.
Make sure you get it inspected by a mechanic before buying it.
lamborghini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th October 2007, 12:49   #3
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

lamborghini, thanks. Ground Clearance also seems great !. .. Will it take a sound beating on usage ??
dharmu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 11:56   #4
BHPian
 
raghuram.cg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 16 Times
Default delicate

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmu99 View Post
lamborghini, thanks. Ground Clearance also seems great !. .. Will it take a sound beating on usage ??
Hyundai cars are known to be delicate so you need to take real good care or else you might end up spending quite a lot of money,
raghuram.cg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 12:01   #5
BHPian
 
raghuram.cg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmu99 View Post
Hi

Details:

Elantra CRDE 2004 in Bangalore run only 18k kms. In Great Shape.

6.6 lacs.

Is it worth buying a used Elantra or will i incur huge maintenance costs and are spares a problem ? Or should i go in for a New Scorpio ? Please help with your reviews !
In my view its better go with the new scorpio if you are thinking of it, you get a new vehicle for what you are paying 6.6L which is a big amount and you have that much more peace of mind. Scorpio is also a fun to drive vehicle and running cost is also low, spares cost cheaper and you have a decent resale value.Besides it is quite a proven vehicle.
raghuram.cg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 12:16   #6
HSV
BHPian
 
HSV's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 327
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

I agree with raghuram.cg, since the car in question is now officially obsolete and 6.6L is not like a crack-of-a-deal in any case. sourcing parts etc may become a little difficult in the near future, and you can surely kiss your resale value good bye!

On the other hand the Scorpio is still in production and commands a better resale in the 2nds market. however that too may get affected with the arrival of the newer 2.2Ltr. However having said that the older scorpios still manage to retain their value till date even after the lauch of the newer model last year.

Frankly it really depends upon the whole package and primarily what you're really looking for in a car.

regards
HSV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 12:55   #7
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Thanks HSV, Elantra had all that i was looking for but as you say NO RESALE value. Also i'm concerned about raghuram's point on the delicate part. I'm not known to take very good care and hence may land up spending quite a bit on maintenace !

Looks like i will have to wait for Eagle 2.2 and see. None of the Mahindra people are commital on when its out ...

SKODA 2nd's ???
dharmu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 15:24   #8
BHPian
 
raghuram.cg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 171
Thanked: 16 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmu99 View Post
Thanks HSV, Elantra had all that i was looking for but as you say NO RESALE value. Also i'm concerned about raghuram's point on the delicate part. I'm not known to take very good care and hence may land up spending quite a bit on maintenace !

Looks like i will have to wait for Eagle 2.2 and see. None of the Mahindra people are commital on when its out ...

SKODA 2nd's ???
Dont even think of going near a SKODA it costs a bomb to maintain it.read few threads on the forum regarding this. I'd suggest you and my friend to go for an Eagle 2.2 but that guy is adamant on the Elantra.can you send me the details please?
raghuram.cg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 15:52   #9
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

Yes will send it to you by 10 PM today when i reach home . Dont have the contacts on me on my phone ....Yes Elantra, the dealers say if i buy a used one, i will find it really hard to sell in a year if i want to .... Guess its true . But so much car for this price seems great value still :(
dharmu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 16:21   #10
Senior - BHPian
 
maxbhp's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: C C K
Posts: 1,372
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmu99 View Post
Hi

Details:

Elantra CRDE 2004 in Bangalore run only 18k kms. In Great Shape.

6.6 lacs.

Is it worth buying a used Elantra or will i incur huge maintenance costs and are spares a problem ? Or should i go in for a New Scorpio ? Please help with your reviews !
Elantra is great to drive but the price quoted seems to be way higher that market rate. 5-5.3 laks is okay. I have come across two of them recently. With pete's its really one of the best diesels(in the above mentioned price range) for 2F2F kinda driver.
maxbhp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 19:21   #11
Team-BHP Support
 
Akshay1234's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 9,762
Thanked: 6,670 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dharmu99 View Post
Yes will send it to you by 10 PM today when i reach home . Dont have the contacts on me on my phone ....Yes Elantra, the dealers say if i buy a used one, i will find it really hard to sell in a year if i want to .... Guess its true . But so much car for this price seems great value still :(
but are you going to sell this car in a year? i think not. once you get it youll love it. get a petes box then the performance will become even better. it also gives fuel economy. and its a hyundai. the maintainence is not going to be high. at this price are you going to get a good diesel engine, climate control, srs + airbags + traction control?
Akshay1234 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 23:01   #12
BHPian
 
blue2ki's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: city of ghosts
Posts: 185
Thanked: Once
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbhp View Post
Elantra is great to drive but the price quoted seems to be way higher that market rate. 5-5.3 laks is okay. I have come across two of them recently. With pete's its really one of the best diesels(in the above mentioned price range) for 2F2F kinda driver.
a 2004 is not a penny above 5L and a 2005 b/w 5.5-5.8
blue2ki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 23:06   #13
Senior - BHPian
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: mumbai
Posts: 2,035
Thanked: 315 Times
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
but are you going to sell this car in a year? i think not. once you get it youll love it. get a petes box then the performance will become even better. it also gives fuel economy. and its a hyundai. the maintainence is not going to be high. at this price are you going to get a good diesel engine, climate control, srs + airbags + traction control?
Price - Pay 5 lak -take it or leave it offer.
Elantra CRDis sold for 9-9.5ish on road during its last days.
So for a flop car (no matter if its actually good or bad), 6.6 is just too high. Even a hit car with such a price cannot command 6.6, be it Banglore or anywhere else. Every car within 10lak loses 25% in first year and 10% in subsequent years thereafter. Not always true but figures will be close with this math.
dipen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th October 2007, 23:30   #14
Senior - BHPian
 
rocksterraghu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,202
Thanked: 65 Times
Default

I am not sure if buying an Elantra, which is hardly sold these days is a very good idea. Make sure you'll have no trouble with spares in the future. Try to look at things from a different angle and think about why he'd be trying to sell it off, like maybe a not-so-great future for the car?

Just my opinion, cheers!
rocksterraghu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20th October 2007, 12:53   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 23
Thanked: 0 Times
Default

yes rocksterraghu, thats the reason im thinking so much. But our other BHPians above say 5-5.5 is the max !

I think i have ruled it out and almost decided on a 2005 skoda. I have a friend in Tafe Access who says i can get one for around 6.5-7. I know parts are a little expensive but i dont seem to be getting everything in one package !
dharmu99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Which is worth Buying? Corolla H4 AUTOMATIC, 2004 or Brand New SX4 Auto? shankar.balan Sedans 59 10th December 2009 19:55
Is it worth buying ELANTRA CRDI @ 5Lakhs??? manne Sedans 4 1st December 2008 19:27
Elantra GT vs Elantra Crdi(Was skoda vs elantra) azifali Sedans 39 17th August 2006 12:56
crde vs non crde trinadha The Indian Car Scene 8 7th March 2006 11:21


All times are GMT +5.5. The time now is 02:14.

Copyright 2000 - 2017, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks