Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 26th October 2007, 21:56   #16
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
the zxi is better than the aveo. go for it.

I really don't understand why people keep saying that. I agree that the SX4 Zxi being about 20 K cheaper than the LT option pack is real value for money. BUT, you may get discounts on the LT option pack which negates the price advantage of the SX4 to some extend.

I have TD both cars. IMHO,

* The Aveo has better interiors than SX4, whose interiors are very similar that of the Swift.

* The Aveo is better looking in my opinion. The SX4 really looks odd. This is just my opinion.

* Both cars are not fun to drive by any means. The SX4 has terrible low end torque and I just cannot understand why people rate it so highly. Also, I found the seating position and view slightly odd in the SX4. The Aveo was easier to drive from that perspective, but the engine is quite unresponsive. Advantage SX4 here.

The only areas of advantage for the SX4 that I can see are in GC and the MUL badge which will fetch you great resale value. Also, the engine and feel is more responsive than Aveo. Also the Aveo gear shift is notchy they say, but I TD a new Aveo where I didn't find any problem with it. You should check that out. Also, I found the SX4 ride pretty hard.

IMHO, If it's a nice family car which you want then it's the Aveo that fits the bill. It looks and feels more upmarket. It is a nice and comfortable car. You will be really satisfied unless you desire great performance.
burnt. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 07:43   #17
BHPian

If you like Aveo, then go for it without any worries. It has nice interiors when compared to SX4. It also has 3yr/1lakhs KM warranty. And if you plan to keep the car more than 5 years, the resale value shouldn't be a concern.
prskumar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 14:50   #18
BHPian

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemithomas View Post

1.Better Interiors
2.Better Exterior Looks
3.Better Quality Fit and Finish
4.Better Quality Spares hopefully since it is not fully localised
5.Better Ride COmfort
6.3yr, 1L km warranty that comes at no additional cost
Even then re-sale is down.Why ? I want to know the reason. are people blind?
vivek_pinkoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 19:51   #19
BHPian

Resale value, strangely, is not directly correlated with any of these. There are other vague factors too (like company "visibility", people's perceptions etc.). Otherwise how do you explain low resale value of Fiat cars? Are they bad? MUL has always enjoyed good RV for most of its models. Whatever MUL makes, we tend to lap 'em up. It is part of the perception I mentioned. In the rest of the world, Suzuki cars are not all that popular.
Sagittarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27th October 2007, 22:34   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivek_pinkoo View Post
Even then re-sale is down.Why ? I want to know the reason. are people blind?
Yes. THey are. There are quite a few good cars that did not even sell in the market coz we never wanted to try out something. Its always a 'play safe' game with most. We are all very happy owning whatever our neighbour has .

The Aveo is a real good car at that price. Unless you are looking for a performance vehicle.
gemithomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 02:58   #21
aks316

go for AVEO.. i find it better than sx4.. aveo looks amazin..
Old 28th October 2007, 08:23   #22
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for 1.6 with Option pack only if you need airbags. 1.4 LS is more value for money. There doesnt seem to be much difference between the 1.4 and 1.6 engines except on paper. Everything on a 1.6 LT can be added on to 1.4 LS (except the integrated HU [costs 20k as spare] and airbags). The HU on 1.6 LT though it looks great sounds only average. You can sell the Kenwood on 1.4 LS to the dealer and add a good HU. Also aftermarket spoliers, alloys can be added. 1.4 obviously will fetch you a better FE.

Nirmal
nirmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 11:52   #23
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
I really don't understand why people keep saying that. I agree that the SX4 Zxi being about 20 K cheaper than the LT option pack is real value for money. BUT, you may get discounts on the LT option pack which negates the price advantage of the SX4 to some extend.

I have TD both cars. IMHO,

* The Aveo has better interiors than SX4, whose interiors are very similar that of the Swift. The finish is better. Can argue about the design.

* The Aveo is better looking in my opinion. The SX4 really looks odd. This is just my opinion.This is again arguable.

* Both cars are not fun to drive by any means. The SX4 has terrible low end torque and I just cannot understand why people rate it so highly. Also, I found the seating position and view slightly odd in the SX4. The Aveo was easier to drive from that perspective, but the engine is quite unresponsive. Advantage SX4 here. What makes you say they are not fun to drive. if you compare them to an rs then of course theyre not fun. but the sx4 scores over the aveo in terms of 'fun' and handling.

The only areas of advantage for the SX4 that I can see are in GC and the MUL badge which will fetch you great resale value. Also, the engine and feel is more responsive than Aveo. Also the Aveo gear shift is notchy they say, but I TD a new Aveo where I didn't find any problem with it. You should check that out. Also, I found the SX4 ride pretty hard.
The aveos gearshift has been sorted by gm. the sx4 has a slicker more precise gearshift unlike the long throws you have to take in the aveo to change a gear. the sx4 also has climate control, and integrated stereo and the audio controls on the steering wheel.

IMHO, If it's a nice family car which you want then it's the Aveo that fits the bill. It looks and feels more upmarket. It is a nice and comfortable car. You will be really satisfied unless you desire great performance.
ive written my answers in bold above.

Last edited by Akshay1234 : 28th October 2007 at 11:53.
Akshay1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 13:22   #24
Senior - BHPian

Here is my views between Aveo LT and SX4 Zxi.. And well in advance, I am anticipating contradictions from other members..but just thought you should know before deciding one of them.. ( I was in the same shoe when looking out for a car)..

What Aveo LT trim scrores over SX4 Zxi?
* Much better interiors
* Comfortable seating of the 5th passenger (if the middle rear seat in SX4 is brought to scanner as most people have)
* No visibility problem due to A-Pillar

What SX4 zxi scores over Aveo LT?
* Price
* larger interior space
* larger 16" wheels (potential for plogging upto 18")
* Soft Off-road capability inherited from the hatch.
* Fun to drive compared to Aveo, NHC.
* iCAT security system with engine immobilizer (much needed with car theives prowling around)
* EBD (not sure if Aveo LT have that)
* drive by wire throttle/cruise control (Aveo still uses the old cable system. I can be wrong?)
* Handling
* Climate Control
* Audio controls on wheels (very important in Indian roads)
* 3 Point Pre-tensioner Seat-belts
* Much bigger boot space.
* Resale (Check the price of 1-2 years old Aveo in used car market to get some idea how much depreciation take its toll)
* A.S.S
* low cost of ownership
* Euro NCAP rating of 4 (as against 2 stars strike through for Aveo)
For more, Chevrolet Aveo Crash Test Results (There used to be a thread on Aveo's Safety rating on this forum)

Other things which I prefer SX4 over Aveo (which are subjective from person to person)
* Looks and road presence (In Aveo, 14 inchers look awefully small compared to its tall standing)
* Better driving position with decent space on the fronts (on Aveo, with taller driver, knee is gonna touch the dash)

On mileage front, SX4 zxi gives around 10-11 kmpl on city condition with 95% AC on. Nothing at all to rave about. I am guessing the same must hold true for Aveo LT trim. But do consider that, SX4 zxi has a much larger, wider wheels with a kerb weight of 1200 Kg (compared to 1095 kg for Aveo).

If you are keen on Aveo and don't mind the safety features, I would recommend the 1.4 LS version compared to LT. It is much better VFM, with a slightly better mileage than LT.

Last edited by iTNerd : 28th October 2007 at 13:39.
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 13:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt. View Post
* The Aveo is better looking in my opinion. The SX4 really looks odd. This is just my opinion.
Just a thought..Is not there a poll on this forum for the best looking C-segment cars? Most opinions on that poll seems to favor SX4, with Fiesta and Aveo trailing behind it..

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...-forwards.html (Who's the best looker of them all in the C-segment cab-forwards ?)
iTNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 18:21   #26

The Aveo with airbags had a Euro NCAP rating of 2. The car will not be safe in an accident for the driver especially. Defeats the whole purpose of buying a car with airbags. Do not know the SX4's safety rating. But please incude safety in your criteria and then decide.
captainwaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th October 2007, 23:16   #27
aks316

check this website.. aveo has a four star rating.. 2008 Chevrolet Aveo 4-DR. w/SAB NHTSA NCAP
Old 29th October 2007, 21:19   #28

I have test driven both the cars day before since I was planning on buying one too. Here are my views

Aveo
  • A very good looking car
  • Excellent Interions
  • Hopless Drive
  • Even worse gear shift ( Moving from 1st to the 2nd is like changing the gears of a bus). I had a Fiat Palio which after 3 years had a MUCH better gear shift than a brand new Aveo
  • Doesnt feel peppy on the roads. Decent suspensions.
  • The car looks big from outside but the same thing doesnt continue inside. If you are tall the drive seat is not comfortable
Sx4
  • Again good looking
  • Gives a mini SUV feel
  • Good interiors with integrated audio system which is pretty neat
  • Didnt like the finish so much.
  • Pretty good engine and peppy too
  • Good space. Rear is almost same as the Aveo
Ford Fiesta is another good option same cost and better that both the above cars. Excellent Dutatec engine. You get also go for the latest fida edition
amitroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th October 2007, 20:47   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitroy View Post
Aveo
  • Hopless Drive
The initial pickup is low. But above 2000 rpm it really picks up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amitroy View Post
Aveo
  • Even worse gear shift ( Moving from 1st to the 2nd is like changing the gears of a bus). I had a Fiat Palio which after 3 years had a MUCH better gear shift than a brand new Aveo
The facelifted Aveo doesn't have this problem anymore.

Nirmal
nirmalts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th November 2007, 06:46   #30
BHPian

Another drawback with aveo not been reported here is the exceptionally high roll. I TD the LT version 2 months back. I drove on a highway and experienced the drive to be comfertable, but didnt get the power/solid feeling"that could make u feel safe". And there was too much roll when I tried to manuveour the car at high speed "often you need it while overtaking on say narrower roads".

Regarding looks its a second generation "Kalos", the mid-size car launched by GM daewoo in Korea after taking over "daewoo motors".And it was originally a sedan out of a hatch-back, which is again the first generation UVA Anyway looks are subjective and to me aveo is not at all impressive except the side view. Again it is awefully under-tyred by small 14 inchers, making it look weak and it does feel same while you drive on the highway.

The best thing abt aveo is the good looking high quality interiors(better than SX4 zxi). Even the fabric work is the best in the class.

After TD and good look at this car I think this car is really made with a view of women in mind and it does suits women(soft and comfertable city drive with great interiors). And it is evident from most of the "kalos" run by women in korea.

Talking of SX4, the only problem in this car so far reported by the actual owners is that the gear shift being bit hard which again could be case by case. But to me the most irritating thing is the worst interior quality in a C segemter, specially the way they have made the door work and the window switches. They are not even illuminated. How could they do that !!!?? No body will mind if they re-vamp the interiors to better quality and high profile equivalent to abt Rs10,000 hike in price.

Other wise SX4 is a real good solid all-round car (take it anywhere car)for four ,if high seating and suv like feel is not an issue.

atleast I think like that )
variozin is offline   Reply With Quote