Go Back   Team-BHP > BHP India > What Car? > Sedans

Old 16th November 2007, 12:48   #46
Senior - BHPian

Always go for the Toyota Corolla. If you need a second thought in your mind then let that be the Mitsubishi Cedia. All for just PEACE OF MIND.

I have heard enough stories about the SX4s. Listing some here...

1. Vibrations in 3rd Gear (Amit can give more input)
2. Handbrake issue
3. Door handles which comes off
4. Problems in Closing the boot
5. Vehicles being called off for mechanical/electronic part replacements which are critical.

How many times this would have happened with the Corolla/Cedia?

There is a perception in the market that Maruti has very good A.S.S! Thats a reputation which was built by the M800,MZen,MEsteem. All these vehicles were serviced & repaired universally by most of the mechanics with a board "Maruti Authorised Dealer". I hardly find the trend continuing with the Swift/SX4...

Is that the same story now with new vehicles from Maruti?

Reading through the forum where i found quiet a lot of people talking about Suzuki in US, Suzuki in Europe... One question for you all... If your vehicle was called back by the dealer for a critical part replacement in your Car/the car has the problems listed with the SX4 would you talk the same good things about Suzuki...? It happens in India and these serious things are never considered! This basically means the quality of the metal you are buying! There is a bunch of Indian Customers who still beleive Maruti makes the same vehicles as the M800/MZen...

Go for the Corolla/Cedia where you can have a peaceful part of driving with Safety & Quality. If you think Corolla is going to be phased out always consider the Cedia which is a very good package considering the price and you can get the feedbacks from the growing Cedia community in TBHP.
anachronix is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 13:43   #47
Team-BHP Support

IMO, SX4 looks quite odd, fat, unusually tall and shape out and with so many problems reported on it, it does not make sense to even consider it.

TC has been a good looking car from the beginning and is a pleasure to drive too. If other cars in this segment to be considered, why not the Cedia or the Optra Magnum, though it will be little over the budget?
mobike008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 14:47   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

vishesh, if I were in your shoes, I would testdrive both cars side-by-side, compare their respective features and go for the one which is the best value for money. Brands and segments be damned. You mentioned that the cost is more or less the same for both the cars, so just go get what you think is the best of the two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008
TC has been a good looking car from the beginning and is a pleasure to drive too.
I am not a fan of the SX4's looks. In some colors (silky silver ?), it is just about passable.

But saying that the Corolla is a good looking car is a little too much of a stretch. IMO, it is one of the most boring looking cars around. But then tastes differ from person to person.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 16th November 2007 at 15:05.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 15:07   #49
Senior - BHPian

Of course TC is not a car that will look good to many people (Civic looks much better). But then Civic represents a breakthrough for Honda in the sense that both Honda and toyota have been successful inspite by designing `not good looking' and `boring' cars. IMHO, the SX4 looked good when first seen and may be a great drive, but again many people will say that it does not look good. The best looking car in that segment (for me at least) is also the least selling-Aveo, while the second ugliest (City) sells the most. Of course, for me, the ugly car award in that segment is Verna.
vasudeva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 17:45   #50
BHPian

My Swift has wide panel gaps (yes u can put in a finger, especially in the boot), irritating rattling noises (dashboard, door pads - Maruthi A$$ says they wouldnt be able to fix), quality suspect (my power window switch fell thru the door pads), poor A$$ in Bangalore BUT excellent pickup, driveability and stability at high speeds - dont think any different of the SX4, I suspect its build quality too.
AirWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th November 2007, 19:17   #51
Distinguished - BHPian

@AirWind, which year make is your Swift ? Asking because my Dad has a Mar-07 Zxi and I drive it whenever I am at Kerala - yet to hear a single rattle anywhere. Wondering whether they fixed the rattles in the later versions.

It did have one irritating rattle due to the junk car-perfume my sis plonked on the dash - it was so irritating that after a few days, I removed it from the car.
supremeBaleno is offline   Reply With Quote